Interesting Encore guitar on eBay

Chordite

• Members

What am I looking at here? It is an Encore but seems to be well spec'd Particularly the bridge.

It reminds me somewhat of one of the Matsumoku Westone models,

At the price (about $80 right now) I am tempted for the heck of it

What do you reckon? Without holding the thing it's hard to tell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRAT-STYLE-1980s-RARE-PUSH-PULL-KNOB-ENCORE-VINTAGE-CUSTOM-/390873341137?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5b01dddcd1

Someone on the Fender site found the same model for sale in Canada with standard bridge and missing clamps at quite big money.

http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/other-guitars/28148-fender-encore.html

• Members
What am I looking at here? It is an Encore but seems to be well spec'd Particularly the bridge.

It reminds me somewhat of one of the Matsumoku Westone models,

At the price (about $80 right now) I am tempted for the heck of it . . .

Looks interesting all right, although the "VERY HEAVY" part would turn me off. At first I thought it had acoustic strings on it but it's more likely they're probably DR Red Devils or something similar(?) Gotta be fairly heavy with the wound G. Also, I think you converted wrong. Current exchange rate is 1 GBP = 1.7 USD so it's closer to $102. Anyway, worth a shot at the price.

• Members
. . . This is a red flag for me. Especially if it's been in storage with those piano strings on it.

If those are acoustic strings the're probably 13's (mediums) which might lead to issues on a guitar made for lighter strings. I'd ask the seller what strings are on it. They may have been changed recently. Who knows?

• Members

Got it today, it's a project

the 'Good'

It is straight and clean, pretty much original the, electronics are smooth and noiseless, pup's seem good

the 'Bad'

Significant Fret wear on 1 and 2 The top E saddle and screw have been replaced with a mis matched one and it's tuning screw is too short.

the 'Ugly'

13 -56 Acoustic strings :wtf:

the 'Prognosis' I will try to source a fine tuner screw the originals are around 3/4 inch long, have new strings, which leaves the fret wear as the only serious issue with it

Any idea how much a luthier would ask to repace the first 3 frets?

The trem

fetch?filedataid=101869

The fretz

fetch?filedataid=101867

My Granma, What a lot of springs you got

fetch?filedataid=101868

• Members
. . . Any idea how much a luthier would ask to repace the first 3 frets? . . .

Depends on the shop but you might end up paying more than the guitar cost. Possibly you can polish the frets and live with them.

• Members
Got it today, it's a project

the 'Good'

It is straight and clean, pretty much original the, electronics are smooth and noiseless, pup's seem good

the 'Bad'

Significant Fret wear on 1 and 2 The top E saddle and screw have been replaced with a mis matched one and it's tuning screw is too short.

the 'Ugly'

13 -56 Acoustic strings :wtf:

the 'Prognosis' I will try to source a fine tuner screw the originals are around 3/4 inch long, have new strings, which leaves the fret wear as the only serious issue with it

Any idea how much a luthier would ask to repace the first 3 frets?

The trem

fetch?filedataid=101869

The fretz

fetch?filedataid=101867

My Granma, What a lot of springs you got

fetch?filedataid=101868

once again, I see no pics at all.

• Members
Interestingly I just had a look on Opera and indeed,no pics!

Firefox is fine

What browser are you using knotty ?

Chrome on android at the moment. Will try others tomorrow.

just tried the built in android browser. No pics.?????

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Okay it is almost sorted and not a bad guitar, about Ibanez sort of level. My remaining problem is a worn nut which buzzes the low e so a superglue and baking soda job is coming soon.

However I do have one other issue... The pickup wiring

It is standard You can tell by looking it is not messed with.

The problem is that you expect the 3 pos switch to be neck, neck+ bridge and bridge and the coil split switch to sc either the bridge or both.

It is way more complex that that It seems to be wired for a whole bunch of exotic mixes with some pups attenuated by resistors in sc mode like using one coil in single split but the other half of the bucker in middle split.

Is this kind of "attenuated mix" thing normal on a twin bucker with splitter setup?

I am tempted to strip it out and go for a simple diagram like this

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/media/img/guitarelectronics/W650-H550-Bffffff/W/wd2hh3l11_01.jpg

Archived