Al's review of Costco's M2000 MKII active speaker with Bluetooth, USB, SD and radio

• Members

I am NOT an expert, as I have had very little contact with getting hardware to market over the course of my career. But I seem to recall that

- There is no UL(Canada), I think you are thinking of CSA

- I don't think you can just declare CSA conformance, but you can avoid the testing phase if another agency has already tested it (UL, BSI, etc)

I once consulted on a product that was sent in for testing, it was returned as a pile of melted goo. Tip: they try to burn stuff, don't send them your only prototype! LOL ... I'm glad I had nothing to do with the chassis on that thing.

Wes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I can confirm is that this speaker will get louder than most people will ever need on their decks, in their backyards, for small family gatherings etc. and that the conveninece of Bluetooth, USB, SD card compatibility as well as a built-in FM radio and a 1 year Costco warranty on top of that + a speaker stand and microphone is pretty darn good for 300$. This is obviously NOT a speaker meant for serious live sound applications, and most musicians/DJs don't buy their sound gear at Costco BUT I'm sure this unit will make many people happy this summer while they're swimming in their pools and enjoying the great outdoors. You can bet mine will come with us in July when we go back to camp. :-)

• Members

I wouldn't have purchased this speaker on EBay, to be honest. I've never had any issues at all returning things at Costco though. They are known to take back pretty much anything, often even after the warranty expires. I certainly enjoyed the speaker for 3 days this (long) weekend. It was beautiful and sunny on Manitoulin Island and I had tunes blasting pretty much all day. I had fun sticking older SD cards and USB sticks in the speaker and hearing music I hadn't heard in a long time - and cranking it up. I'm still surprised at the sound quality. I was sure this thing was going to sound like crap - especially the top end.

• Members
  • Members
Just curious Al of your myriad of speakers you have tested.owned' date=' which one does this speaker closest represent in your opinion for overall sound and performance?[/quote']

It's kind of like a plastic Yorkville YX15P - with a whole lot of added bells and whistles. The Costco speaker is actually nicer sounding than my Wharfedale cabs - more ear friendly if you will - with deeper lows and sweeter highs, It is pretty big though and comes in at 50lbs. The added wheels are convenient for rolling the speaker to where you want to place it. The speaker was really well conceived for the average Joe.

Al

• Members
Average Joe yes' date=' DJ Killer? probably. Thanks Al.[/quote']

Unfortunately, I have to admit that a pair of these could handle most of my smaller occasions and leave most people perfectly happy with the sound - provided that top quality music files were used. The look may not be for everybody however, and I personally wouldn't be caught dead DJ'ing a client's wedding with equipment they could purchase themselves at Costco. As a back up or for camp, the deck, backyard music though, it works very well. Not sure how they would stand up to 5 straight hours of DJ use...

Al

• Members

Hi Al Poulin! Thank for your review! Merci pour ton commentaire , I bought 2 kits (costco québec) also for the ridiculous prices and also for warranty with the American Express Costco with 2 years total $ 300 ..

It plays very well for the price though!

Ok this is not my JBL PRX625 but for small party with friends or camping outdoors or simply to make the radio out without mixer or laptop etc with a powerpack etc :)

short, I am surprised for the sound for the price

Do not rely on the quality of the sounds with bluetooth but with good music source with a console etc -2 high and +2 bass

:)

sorry for my English

• Members

Hi pgtcobra, nice to hear from you. I have not tried the Bluetooth (since I don't have any Bluetooth devices) - only SD card, USB stick and connected to my mixer. For 300$ with 1 year (or 2 year) Costco warranty, they are very practical and sound plenty good and loud for most people and for many applications.

Al

• Members

I must say I have been using a pair of these speakers for a small night club, they started out ok, but I couldn't crank them without setting off the limiter. I paired them up with a set of Yorkville Unity speakers and no problems. The following weekend I has another night club gig and paired each speaker with a sub.... The results were really good. The special features and very useful, and I have been able to use the Bluetooth option to dj a house party from my ipad. I would say for the price, they are good enough for small gigs and house parties....a pair of subs increased the sound quality....so far so good... Will try them again next weekend at another gig

• Members

I must say I have been using a pair of these speakers for a small night club' date=' they started out ok, but I couldn't crank them without setting off the limiter.[/quote']

Hi DJchino

I have try some setting this week and You must increase the master volume at 9 and the Line-XLR at 7-8 on your speaker and do not need too increase the volume on your console.

I had very good results and good power with this configuration without the light peak on and no problem with the limiter

At first, I set the volume as same with my JBL PRX, on the speaker , the master at 5 and XLR 3-4 and i increase the volume on my mixer a lot and it does not work with this config.

You also need to adjust the treble and bass on the back of speakers and not the console .. It is much less sensitive to the limiter.

This method, I had very good results without the light "peak" and the limiting loads.

Sorry for my English :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys, just out of curiousity, I took out the amplifier module from my KX Audio KX12s to see what a 500 watt RMS module should look like, Unfortunately, the module is very clean and closed up (and completely seperated from the interior of the speaker, so it's not easy to see inside. Any observations from our experts would be welcome. IMG_2387_zps46489b42.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi everyone,

I read a lot of post and found it usefull for me. Since i couldnt find what i was looking for i decided to ask and share may experiance with others.

I just purchased 2 sets of M2000MKII at Costco Canada and was playing/testing it for a couple hours.

Does enyone may help to fet answer: How to play STEREO from USB or from smartphone-Bluetooth. When you use one speaker it is normal that L and R are summed and played on one speaker but it looks like when i attached second speaker with audio cable the same signal is going there too and we have MONO on two speakers.

I am pretty sure that MP3/FM/BT unit is outputing 2 channels L and R but how we ended up with MONO after all that?

I am thinking to take it apart and do some modification no matter i koose waranty or so....

I understood that if i hook up mixer and also connect OUT L to one speaker and OUT R to another that i will have stereo, but i do not want add additional gear and cables. Isnt it all about confort having it playing from smartphone or tablet and wireless?

And yes, i may confirm some stuff what i ve seen here:

1.Really sound fidelity is better than i expected.

2.Any piece of Documentation as far i couldnt find on line and owner's manual is pretty poor written.

3.Reading "BI-Amp" i would expect separate amplifier for horn but there is only one. Twitter is supplied trough yellow capacitor, the simplest way

4. Transformer doesnt look more than 200VA it means by all concept AB class amplifier we can get max 150-170W RMS.

5. Speaker and cabinet performing very well and by efficiency making more noice out of 150W than some others out of 250W..

6. Ballanced input output may help a lot in proffesional usage and longer cables but i see everyone is about home and small event usage...not too many of us will cascade 4 of them to one channel and 4 other to another channel for bigger event...

7. Still looks worth money spent, thinking Costco is very easy for returns if need.

And yes, if anyone may help sove this STEREO issue?

Thanks

• CMS Author

I'm pretty sure there's no workaround for what you're seeing; the Bluetooth is probably summed at the input side since there's no point in having a stereo signal when there's no "balance/pan" control in the device, and it wasn't designed to handle 2-channels of output.

Arguably there's no cable advantage; you need another cable anyway, be it from the mixer/other source, or from the speaker. Perhaps a cable length advantage, but that really shouldn't be a make or break problem either.

• Members

Inquiring minds want to know: found this on the internet not sure if it's true but it's on the internet right?

First, make sure that your MP3-capable mobile phone or MP3 player is Bluetooth enabled and is equipped with A2DP, which ensures successful pairings for high-quality stereo audio.

Archived