Hey,,,,,, Let's Have a Party!!!! (Wayyyy off topic, btw)

• Members
You can get Maker's Mark at the LCBO. Good chance the SAQ carries it' date=' too. It may not be Booker's, but it is a fine bourbon...and you can get it at the last minute. :)[/quote']

I ordered a Maker's "46" yesterday, which is supposedly a higher end product. The taste-test reviews I've read, rank it very high, and it's the same price as the Booker's.($60./ 750ml bottle)

Today, I'm going back to the liquor store to exchange a few of the bottles I bought last weekend. I think I'll return the Jim Beam Black 6yr. old, and exchange it for Makers' Mark. I'm also going to get a Knob Creek 9 yr old Single-Barrel,,,, if they have it in stock. That should give me a nice selection of premium-quality Bourbons, along with some decent mid-priced stuff for those who prefer to mix.

So my bars' Bourbon stock will now look like this;

Bookers' Kentucky Bourbon

Makers' "46"

Knob Creek Single Barrel 9 yr. old

Makers' Mark

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight

Bulleit Frontier

That should cover it quite well I'd say. Something for the sippers, and something for the mixers.

I'm also going to return and exchange a few tequilas. I paid $80. for a Patron Silver, and the reviews are not great. Most say it's highly over-priced for what it is. The Sauza Silver and Sauza Gold are also going back.(rot-gut). My tequila stock will now look like this;

El Jimador 100% Blue Agave Reposado

Cazadores Reposado

Cazadores Blanco

and a Herradura Reserva Port-Cask Reposado (if I can find it), or a Don Julio Reposado

Premium tequilas are crazy-expensive up here for some reason.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I drink Beam white label if I'm going to mix it with diet coke. I also like Jamesons straight with just a cube of ice but its not a kentucky bourbon.

The Jim Beam White Label I tried a few days ago, was just terrible, but that was drinking it straight,, with no ice. (sampled in-store). The Jim Beam Black Label 8 Yr Old, won a Gold medal at the San Francisco Spirits competition, but I can't get it here,,, only the 6 Yr Old. One of my buddies like Jack Daniels, so I've got a bottle for him. He mixes it, so that should be fine.

For myself, I'm generally preferring a good single malt scotch whiskey served neat, with one ice-cube, or no ice at all. When I want a tall cool drink in the summer, I'll sometimes drink a very light splash(1/4 oz) of blended scotch like Ballantine, Johnnie Walker Red, or Black, with club soda. I've never been a fan of rye, but the other night I cracked open a bottle of Crown Royal, and that tasted pretty decent,,, better than I expected.(straight/ no ice).

We're more into mixed drinks here, especially when the girls are around. Bloody Caesars' and Pina Colada's go over big. I make a helluva Spanish Coffee too. :) My girlfriend's a lot like me in the sense that we only drink when we have company.

re; Jamesons', I'm not crazy about the Irish whiskeys. I found the Jamesons very coarse.

• Members

My wife and I just returned from a Mexico cruise where we were treated to Tequila tasting at a private ranch. I had no idea tequila could taste so good. Quality tequila tastes absolutely nothing like Jose Cuervo, JC shouldn't even be called "tequila" compared to the good stuff.

• Members
My wife and I just returned from a Mexico cruise where we were treated to Tequila tasting at a private ranch. I had no idea tequila could taste so good. Quality tequila tastes absolutely nothing like Jose Cuervo' date=' JC shouldn't even be called "tequila" compared to the good stuff.[/quote']

I'm anxious to try the Don Julio Reposado. It seems to get very favorable mention in most of the reviews I've read. The kid at the store says it'll be a week or so before it comes in. $85./750ml bottle.

I haven't gotten around to trying the El Jimador nor Cazadores Reposado's that I bought this week,,,,maybe this weekend.

• Members

Well, I stopped by a friends' place tonight, and he happened to have a 9 yr. old Knob Creek small-batch Bourbon handy. It was the foulest tasting substance I've ever put in my mouth. Ewwww!!!

To be fair, he had just poured me a shot of McLelland Islay single-malt Scotch. (not bad). When he brought out the Knob Creek, I should have rinsed out my mouth beforehand, to clear the taste of the Scotch, but he poured the shot in the same glass,,,,I knocked it back,,, and OMG,,, the taste was dreadful. I sure hope this is not how Bourbon tastes in general. Not a good start for me, but I'm hoping it was simply a bad "combination" of tastes..

The Booker's, the Woodford Reserve, and the Makers' "76", should arrive in the morning, and hopefully those will provide a more positive experience..

• Members

Well I cant even stand the smell of scotch so putting it in a dirty glass would not be recommended. Of course taste is subjective but I can assure you all the recommendations are better than Jim Beam white. But that said mixed Jim Beam white is very good. Not going to put high end bourbon with a coke.

• Members

Well, the doorbell JUST rang, and the mail-lady hands me an electronic "thingy" and says "sign here",,, she hands me a box, and voila, three new bottles of premium Bourbon are now sitting in my kitchen. What a great way to shop.

The Bookers came in a very cool looking wood presentation box, with a clear plastic sliding front-"door". Very nice touch. The Makers' "46" bottle also looks quite nice, with its' "dipped-in-red-wax" neck and cap. I'm a sucker for those unique presentation touches. The Woodford Reserve's sloped-shoulder flat bottle also looks very elegant, suggesting that whatever's inside the bottle is just a little more "special". Very nice.

Tonight will be the ultimate test,,,, the "proof" is in the bottle. smiley-wink

Last night I returned the Patron Silver, and the Sauza Gold and Silver, and today the order goes in for the Don Julio Reposado. I was going to return the Jim Beam Black Label 6 yr. old, but decided to hold off on that one.

• Members

I have a bottle of 23yo that I'm saving for a special occasion.:)

If I were to drop by your place tonight,,,, would that be considered a "special" occasion? smiley-wink

I don't think I'll ever see a "Pappy's" here. I understand those small batches get sold out pretty quick. They'd probably want a fortune too. Prices up here seem really high compared to some areas of the States. I just ordered a Don Julio Reposado tequila, and that's $85.here. In the U.S., I've seen it as low as $50.(San Diego) smiley-frustrated.png' alt='16x16_smiley-frustrated.png.9263d03d5e11e10558852e5634114f78.png' alt='smiley-frustrated'>.png'> I'd like to find a place that ships internationally, with a guarantee against leaks.

• Members

Kinda funny, a "band" I joined for a fundraiser one-off (because the bass player quit after the lead player did) has the lead player back and drummer both going "sober" now - and the bass player back on harp. Not sure I want a rep as a good influence LOL - but I'm used to most projects having one or more "recovering" player so I don't indulge at rehearsals and seldom at gigs. Of course in this case two of the guys have their MM cards (from two different states) so ;) .

• Members

My jammin' buddies are mostly a sober bunch,,,except one guy. Too bad really because he's a good rock singer. Once he gets loaded though, the gig is pretty well over. Some of the guys now categorically refuse to play with him, especially our lead guitarist, who's a complete tee-totaler.

• Members

Well, I finally got around to a little taste-test last night. I cracked open the Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight, and poured myself a half-shot. No ice. It was definitely an improvement over the previous experience at my buddy's place.

I had mixed reactions. The "heat" was really unusual, in the sense that it came in a two-stage delayed "wave",,, palate first, followed by the throat. (I hadn't swallowed yet). The heat surprised me, but it was a pleasant surprise. It was quite intense, but in a very good way.

Taste-wise, it was kinda "busy" for my taste,,,, a LOT of tastes going on simultaneously,,, seemingly independent of each other,,,, not married to each other very well. A fair amount of "smoke", combined with sweetness and possibly citrus. I'd swear I also tasted watermelon.

No judgement either way at this point. A 1/2 shot is simply not enough to base a judgement on. I'll try another one tonight to see how they compare, and maybe I'll develop a taste for this stuff. So far, I'm not there yet.

• Members

Ahaaaa!!!! Now we're getting somewhere,,,, I just cracked open the Makers' "46",,,,,,,,,, this is a seriously good Bourbon. Very impressive and refined.

From the first moment it enters the mouth, there's an immediate sense of creamy richness, and fully blended and married flavors. There's a lengthy lag before the first-sip burn comes, and when it does arrive, it makes its' presence known forcefully, yet without being obtuse. Just a gradual build-up that doesn't overwhelm the flavor. The sweetness is subtle, with a warm honey-like after-taste. Beautiful.

The Makers' "46" will be VERY hard to beat, and I'd gladly recommend and serve it to a friend.

Tomorrow night, the Bookers' get's the opportunity to strut its' stuff.

• Members

OK,,,, it's Booker Time !!! This bottle, according to the label, is 7yrs. 3mo.old. Batch # C06-B-15, and is 63.55% alcohol, or 127.1 proof. This is by far the highest alcohol content of any that Bourbons I've tried. It's bottled by James B. Beam Distilling Co., in Clermont Kentucky. I'm almost scared to open it. smiley-wink (I'm reporting "LIVE" from beautiful downtown Lachute, Qc.)

I've got a double sitting in front of me,,,, here goes................OMG !!! I think I hear the trumpets at Churchill Downs. Wait-a-minnit,,,, that could be the horns at Jericho. I'm looking around to see if there are any angels in the room.

Good Lord, this Bourbon exceeded my expectations. I had presumed that the higher alcohol content would pack a meaner punch at entry, but this Bookers is soooo creamy smooth, with a highly refined blend of flavors much like the Makers' 46, if not slightly better. Off hand, I'd say it's a shade creamier than the 46,,, but it's close. The taste structure is very similar in my opinion; no individual taste stands out,,,, just a superbly melded blend of flavors, sweetness, and smoke. The burn comes on a bit quicker than the "46", but again, it's very similar in character,,, and a little hotter going down. There are no negative after-tastes,,, just a very pleasant honey/butter-scotch taste, and from what I can tell so far, a smooth long lasting finish..This is a Bourbon I'd be looking forward to buying again,,,, without a moments hesitation. Worth every penny. (same price as the "46" btw)

Thanks Don, for the great recommendation. I'm a convert.philthumb

Tomorrow night, I'm going to try the Jim Beam Black Label 6 yr old. It's the cheapest($30) of the lot I've tasted so far, but its' sibling, the 8 yr. old Black Label, won a double-gold medal at the 2013 San Francisco International Spirits Competition. Could this be a big surprise???? Tune in tomorrow,,,, same time,,,, same station.sm-goodnight

• Members

Just bought another bottle of Woodford yesterday. So I put my money where my mouth is! Actually if Booker is better still not sure I would pay the difference cause to my taste Woodford reserve is very smooth. Its almost twice as much and not worth it to me because actually we are just renting the bourbon for a short time ;-)

• Members
Just bought another bottle of Woodford yesterday. So I put my money where my mouth is! Actually if Booker is better still not sure I would pay the difference cause to my taste Woodford reserve is very smooth. Its almost twice as much and not worth it to me because actually we are just renting the bourbon for a short time ;-)

I'm going to go back to the Woodfords' later this week. Sometimes, first impressions aren't all they're cracked up to be. By the time I got around to the Makers' 46, and the Bookers, I had at least some idea of what Bourbon tastes like. With the Knob Creek and the Woodfords', and myself being a complete Bourbon-virgin at that point, the taste came as a big surprise.

Price-wise though, the Bookers' and Makers' 46 are roughly 25% more expensive up here, (Both are $60. vs $48. for the Woodford). For the guy who's drinking Bourbon straight up, the additional $12./ bottle is well worth the price of admission. I wouldn't dream of mixing either one.

btw, for a "mixed" Bourbon drink,,, what's the most commonly requested mix? Coke? Soda? Water? I could see that a more intensely-flavored Bourbon might be a better choice, in order to stand out in the mix.

All of that said, I forgot about the Bulleit that I bought. I'll give that one a go this week. For a guy who usually drinks only at Christmas and New Years (when company's present), I sure am pushing the envelope. One thing I've discovered though,,,, when I have a night-cap late in the evening, I sleep like a baby.baby-dance

• Members

Good Lord, this Bourbon exceeded my expectations. I had presumed that the higher alcohol content would pack a meaner punch at entry, but this Bookers is soooo creamy smooth

Yeah that's the thing. It is unbelievably smooth. I can't think of any other alcoholic beverage that is as smooth, especially considering the proof. That's why I said you'd only be drinking half as much as anything else.

• Members

Yeah that's the thing. It is unbelievably smooth. I can't think of any other alcoholic beverage that is as smooth, especially considering the proof. That's why I said you'd only be drinking half as much as anything else.

That poses an interesting dilemma. The guy drinking his favorite lower-proof, gets to drink more of it, before reaching his limit. Unfair I say.smiley-happy

Archived