Hey,,,,,, Let's Have a Party!!!! (Wayyyy off topic, btw)

• Members

Well, as I suspected, my second go-around with the Woodford's was a completely different experience. I found it much smoother this time than I did in the first taste test. That said, I much prefer the Bookers' and the Makers' 46, and the primary reasons are the exceptional creaminess, the more intense "burn", and most importantly, a much longer finish.

The "Bourbon burn" is unlike anything I've ever experienced with other whiskeys, and with the Makers' 46 and Bookers'; it's just sensational, if not entirely addictive. The manner in which it comes on progressively, and so intensely, is quite unique from my perspective. A "1st climax in a bottle" if there ever was one.smiley-happy

The extended finish is where the Makers' 46 and the Bookers really differentiate themselves however. The exceptional sweetness and warmth, literally hangs with you for hours. Sensational. I'm going to order a couple more bottles. because they are considered "limited availability" here, and I don't want to run out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok I will not dispute that Bookers is a bit better and for sure more potent. In my area Bookers is 60 dollars a bottle while Woodford is 34 dollars. So I will say that Woodford should get the value for the buck award. Jim Beam white is about 22 dollars I think. I will have to drive over to Maryland and get some of that Kirkland burboun Don was talking about. Costco cant sell spirits in Virginia only beer and wine.

• Members
Ok I will not dispute that Bookers is a bit better and for sure more potent. In my area Bookers is 60 dollars a bottle while Woodford is 34 dollars. So I will say that Woodford should get the value for the buck award. Jim Beam white is about 22 dollars I think. I will have to drive over to Maryland and get some of that Kirkland burboun Don was talking about. Costco cant sell spirits in Virginia only beer and wine.

Yeah, the Bookers' is $60. here too, tax-included, and at that price, it's a steal. We usually pay so much more for everything, compared to most U.S. prices. Mind you, I can order it, and have it sent to my home. (free next-day shipping, no additional taxes.) I'm 20 minutes from the Ontario border, and their prices are higher; just over $70. for the Bookers. The Woodfords' is $48.

I've been trying to find some George T. Stagg bourbon up here, but no luck so far. I think I'll call Canada Customs tomorrow, to see if I can buy in the U.S, and have it shipped. I'd also love to try the Pappy Van Winkles, and Blantons'.

Today, I heard a press release that spoke about privatizing some of Quebecs' provincially run businesses. The liquor control board (S.A.Q.) has talked about privatization for a long time. It might be a good thing to have different companies competing in that market,,,, but I won't hold my breath. It would probably end up in the hands of some monopolistic outfit, who sells only crap, and for top dollar. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there are such huge price differences with some specific products, such as tequila. Heck, we're part of NAFTA too.

• Members

Follow up; I won't be tasting the Bulleit Frontier, nor the Jim Beam Black Label 6yr.old. I returned them today, in exchange for The Balvenie 14 Yr.Old Caribbean Cask single-malt Scotch. I've decided that Bookers' and Makers' 46 are my Bourbons of choice, and the price is quite reasonable considering what we usually pay here in Quebec.

I'm now concentrating on single-malt scotches. Next targets are Aberlour A'bunadh, The Balvenie 12 Yr. Old Double Wood, and a Lagavulin 16 Yr. Old.

re Tequila; The Don Julio Reposado I ordered has arrived at the local store, and I'll be picking that up next Tuesday. I may also order a Don Julio 1942 to see what the fuss is all about.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Well, here we are again. 'Tis the season for good fiends, good food, and a good dram.:hairphil:

Since the previous post my collection has grown considerably, to just over 200 bottles. (207 I think).

Good Bourbon is still as scarce as hen's teeth up here in Quebec, and our Provincial liquor control board (S.A.Q./Societe des Alcools du Quebec) no longer carries Bookers', and I have yet to find any George T Stagg, or Pappy Van Winkle.

For the last 6 months or so, the search has focused on single-malt Scotch whisky, and after 25 or so bottles of those, I may have finally found the Holy Grail,,, the Ardbeg Uigeadail. HIGHLY recommended. 95/100. I only wish we'd be annexed by California, so we could get it as cheap as you west-coasters. It goes for $151.50/bottle up here, compared to the mid $50. mark in California. Argh!!!!!!!!!

Cheers to all you "Malty Mates" (term from Ralfy at Ralfy.com)

• CMS Author

I certainly wouldn't assume that because they're American that they'll favor Bourbon. A respectable Irish like Jameson (or a $ub$tantial upgrade like Midleton's) is good to have on hand, as well as a good single malt Scotch like 15y/o Macallan. And it certainly never hurts to experiment or just have a few others around to meet particular tastes. One man's treasure is another's dreck...

• Members

I - Russian and probably, so I would have to say - "Russian Vodka!", but I'm a little and rarely drink alcohol ...... I do not like the taste,

from them untied language and fastened to the node legs ....

I respect a good French cognac, but it is very expensive

• Members
I certainly wouldn't assume that because they're American that they'll favor Bourbon. A respectable Irish like Jameson (or a $ub$tantial upgrade like Midleton's) is good to have on hand, as well as a good single malt Scotch like 15y/o Macallan. And it certainly never hurts to experiment or just have a few others around to meet particular tastes. One man's treasure is another's dreck...

I've got a bottle of Bushmill's 16 yr.old Irish on my wishlist, but since I've tried the Ardbeg Uigeadail, all the others have slipped down the priority list. Surprisingly, the Lagavulin 16, another legendary Islay Scotch, didn't float my boat. The Uigeadail has an Olorosso sherry cask finish that's just gorgeous. This is one of the most complex, yet superbly married-flavor whiskys I've ever tried. I've yet to try the Lagavulin 12 yr.old, which is cask-strength bottling (roughly 55% ABV). Also, I've not tried the Lagavulin 16 Distillers' Edition, which is finished in sherry casks, but like its' sibling (the 16 yr old), it has an ABV of 43%. It seems like I'm gravitating toward whisky's which have that higher ABV content, with a long finish.(Booker's, Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Uigeadail, etc).

Other Islay Scotches that I have on hand, are the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and a Bowmore 12. Both are very potent, with lots of smoke and peat, which is typical of Islay Scotches, but nowhere near the sophistication and finish of the Ardbeg. I've also got a bottle of Bunnhabhain 12, which is yet another Islay which I've yet to crack open.

Others that I've purchased and haven't opened yet, are the Glenlivet 18 yr old, Glenlivet N'adurra, and GlenLivet Archive 21 yr old, and a Dalmore 15 yr old.

I've also got an unopened bottle of RockHill Farms Bourbon.

• Members

Yep, especially since I rarely touch a drop unless friends drop by, so it becomes "double your pleasure, double your fun". :D2

It's interesting too. A few of us are actually thinking of heading to Scotland within the next year or so, to do the Islay distillery tour. Most of the tour packages I've seen, are 4-day tours, and accommodations generally run $200./night single occupancy/ breakfast and dinner included. Short flight from Glasgow.

• Members
Someone turned me on to this Whiskey many years ago and we drank straight shots of it and I found it to be amazingly smooth Whiskey.

Irish Whiskey and award winning.

Tullamore Dew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullamore_Dew

If you like "smooth", with a full rich taste, you've really got to try "Dark Horse", a Canadian Whiskey from Alberta Distillers. Considering it's low price, I was shocked at just how good this whiskey can be. It's great straight-up, or on ice, or with a drop or two of water. I liked it so much, I went back and bought five more bottles.

• CMS Author

Price is definitely not tied to quality or taste when it comes to distilled spirits. The Midleton's I mentioned earlier is pricey, and a few of my friends lust for it, but I was less than impressed, while I really enjoy Jameson's much less expensive whiskey in the green bottle. There's even a place in my bar for lowly Windsor Canadian blended...it's an excellent mixer for sours (which I've single-handedly revived in my little corner of the world!) even if you wouldn't want it straight.

Okay, so I'm a cheap date.

• Members
Price is definitely not tied to quality or taste when it comes to distilled spirits. The Midleton's I mentioned earlier is pricey, and a few of my friends lust for it, but I was less than impressed, while I really enjoy Jameson's much less expensive whiskey in the green bottle. There's even a place in my bar for lowly Windsor Canadian blended...it's an excellent mixer for sours (which I've single-handedly revived in my little corner of the world!) even if you wouldn't want it straight.

Okay, so I'm a cheap date.

To me, the Holy Grail is all about finding that super-tasting yet ultra-affordable bottle that's either new on the market, or not yet widely recognized. At $29.95 regular price($24.95 on-sale at LCBO), the Dark Horse definitely fits that bill.

Other recent Canadian Whiskey notables are Lot # 40.(Canadian Whiskey of the Year/Corby Distillers), and several of the Forty Creek bottlings.

The Ardbeg Uigeadail was named Best Whisky in the World in 2009, by Jim Murray, (author of The Whisky Bible). That same year, Jim also declared that Ardbeg was the best distillery on the planet. The down-side is, this recognition jacked up the demand (and prices) dramatically.(in most markets).

Archived