Are We Done Yet?

Player99

• Members

I've asked that they move that up on the priorities list. Scrolling sux, and I know how many of you want that feature. I do too!

This is already fixed. The page navigation bar stays "stickied" to the top of the screen as you scroll down. It's hard to notice because we're all so used to looking down when we get to the bottom of a page.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil says HC is the largest website in the world so that's why they use this, and why they are having trouble.

All that for 5 remaining members...

No, that's not quite what I said - I said we're the largest site in the world using vB5, and vB5 was intended for smaller sites than this one, and had code that optimized it for mid-sized sites, but that adversely affects large sites like this one.

It's not just about the number of users using the site at any given moment (which on HC is usually several hundred at almost any given time during the day), but also the size of the database and the amount of data that you need to be able to serve up at a moment's notice.

• Members

i fear the "like" button hurts traffic because instead of guys posting "this" they can now just click "like" and it doesn't register as a new post, thereby allowing a thread to fall to the bottom of the page after a couple of weeks.

• Members
i fear the "like" button hurts traffic because instead of guys posting "this" they can now just click "like" and it doesn't register as a new post, thereby allowing a thread to fall to the bottom of the page after a couple of weeks.

Kudos to you.

• Members

They're running vBulletin® Version 3.8.7, which is old (two full versions) and has a bunch of security holes.

There were security patch updates for 3.8.7

in fact, there was one for vB 3.8.7, but also applicble for vB4 and vB5

so vB5 also has security holes

anyway, no spam at TGP whereas the SS forum this morning starts of with 8 spam threads

the point is, TGP is stable, fast, user friendly interface

vB5, well, kinda sluggish (when I click post reply it will take about a minute), in need of fixes and tweaks to make it user friendly and stable

if I try to post a picture with the Advanced Editor, I get a pop up screen that canoot be closed and I have to close and log in again and then post it the good old fashioned way with the tags

but I knowteam HC is working on this and it will all be sorted out eventually

respect

my main issue is more related to content and traffic

the forums are no longer living up to my expectation when it comes to content

not many interesting threads

not much participation

• Members

There were security patch updates for 3.8.7

in fact, there was one for vB 3.8.7, but also applicble for vB4 and vB5

so vB5 also has security holes

anyway, no spam at TGP whereas the SS forum this morning starts of with 8 spam threads

the point is, TGP is stable, fast, user friendly interface

vB5, well, kinda sluggish (when I click post reply it will take about a minute), in need of fixes and tweaks to make it user friendly and stable

if I try to post a picture with the Advanced Editor, I get a pop up screen that canoot be closed and I have to close and log in again and then post it the good old fashioned way with the tags

but I knowteam HC is working on this and it will all be sorted out eventually

respect

not much participation

The first rule of software of any kind is don't use the latest version unless you want to be a beta tester. Seems like here it goes beyond beta to developer.

Just go back to thegearpage version because it is proven to work.

There are so many bugs this forum is dead. Nobody posting, board not working.

• 2 weeks later...

not much participation

As I've always said, the forums are what you guys make it in that regard. :) And you know I have nothing but love and respect for you bieke - your threads are legendary. But not everyone has been posting like you do.

Admittedly there has been a lot of technical issues and I realize that has caused problems and frustrations for people, but I do think we're seeing progress there... there is still much to be done, but as long as it's stable and functional and as much along the lines of what people want as we can make it, to a large degree, the content and interesting threads are up to the users.

• Members

As I've always said, the forums are what you guys make it in that regard. :) And you know I have nothing but love and respect for you bieke - your threads are legendary. But not everyone has been posting like you do.

Admittedly there has been a lot of technical issues and I realize that has caused problems and frustrations for people, but I do think we're seeing progress there... there is still much to be done, but as long as it's stable and functional and as much along the lines of what people want as we can make it, to a large degree, the content and interesting threads are up to the users.

yeah, I should stop moaning, Team HC has put in a lot of effort to make it happen

and it's what we make it

I always posted in the FX forum, but nowadays I also browse through the other forums in search of interesting threads

and even start posting on other forums

today, for the first time, I posted a thread in the Studio Trenches

Archived