Bass Guitars: A debate. What are your thoughts?

Matt82

• Members

I have an electric couch guitar, but at least it’s a semi-hollow body and not too heavy. And a cool little Randal MR15R amp (MF blew them out dirt cheap last year) with reverb and headphone jack that fits nicely under the end table. Works out great. sm-happy

• Members

I bring guitars out of my studio on a revolving basis and have a couple of

practice amps with a strobe tuner setup there so I can practice, change strings and tweak setups.

I have about 25 guitars and bases in the studio and this is the way I keep them in good shape and ready to record.

Some don't get played much as others but having them tweaked is a blessing when I'm in my creativity mode

performing or recording. I am known for falling asleep in my easy chair watching TV with guitar in hand.

• Moderators
I have an electric couch guitar, but at least it’s a semi-hollow body and not too heavy. And a cool little Randal MR15R amp (MF blew them out dirt cheap last year) with reverb and headphone jack that fits nicely under the end table. Works out great. sm-happy

I wish I had a guitar for my electric couch. Hell, I wish I had an electric couch!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It took me 1.5 years to get comfortable with 5 strings. And any bassist who is good with their instrument gets my respect. Currently only gig with a Fender 5 string Plus with a Warmouth fretless neck. and a bass I built that's in my avatar. Fretless was the first instrument and feels normal to me. (Was asked if I ever played anything else yesterday at an audition before we actually started playing. Didn't have that question repeated afterward. Fun audition.) Both basses have active electrics. I love the Fender on that. I can also by-pass the electrics on it. (Consider that an emergency backup to battery failure.) If the EMG pickups battery dies, the bass becomes useless. (Wonder if I should have picked different pickups for my homebuilt?) Also noticed, in spite of building the homebuilt neck to the same string length as the Fender, they do play a little different. The Fender is faster, the homebuilt sustains longer. The Fender hangs more horizontal and the homebuilt sits closer to 45 degrees up. That's a bit easier for my left arm, which was broken three times in Junior High School, to play with. (Doesn't rotate quite as well as my right arm. Not good for a bassist.)

• Members

Such an adamant statement. Why so dogmatic on the subject?

Hard to ever say never, but it's certainly a lot better to use identical boxes, unquestionably. The only exception to this rule is if the non-identical cabs were properly designed from the ground up to be used together (& if the person designing really knew what he was doing; not just some outfit saying their 410/115, maybe the worst config around, should be used together).

• Members

Right now, I enjoy my EADGC 5-string hum/hum Fodera. That said, I tend to have a wide range of likes. I've enjoyed playing many 4-7-string basses (and want to try a non-doubled 8), appreciate the tone of a P, etc. etc.

About the only thing I'm big on is not having a pick guard. They're just not my thing. On basses I've leaned toward natural woods as well (odd since I like translucent paint on guitars). And Fenders, just not a fan of the company.

• Moderators

Hard to ever say never, but it's certainly a lot better to use identical boxes, unquestionably. The only exception to this rule is if the non-identical cabs were properly designed from the ground up to be used together (& if the person designing really knew what he was doing; not just some outfit saying their 410/115, maybe the worst config around, should be used together).

Please don't misunderstand. I agree, but I was wondering about Marko's thoughts on the subject.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Love the electrics on my Fender Jazz Plus 5 string. (Natural finish, Warmouth Fretless Neck.) The EMG electrics on my homebuilt, aren't as much fun. The home built sustains much longer. (And it's a bolt on neck.) The Fender is faster. (Both are fretless with exactly the same length. The home built sits closer to 45 degrees and is a bit easier to play because of it.) Both basses are good looking without any pick guards. (I don't like the looks of pick guards.) I think the Fender is prettier and for now it's the one I'm playing. I have had time when the homebuilt was the one I always reached for. I can't see selling either one before I'm done playing for good.

Archived