DIGITECH VOCALIST LIVE 2 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS AND VIDEO CLIPS!

Anderton

• Members

I use a guitar style that is a modified "Nasville Tele" style that utilizes a flat pick and finger picks. This results in very little actual strumming and significant alternating bass with arpeggiated notes of the chord in a simulated finger picking style. My concern is, ... will the resulting harmonies be affected by the single note/double stop style of playing? Thanks

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi - sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, and thanks so much for the review. After reading your review I was really even more motivated to go out and get either the VL live 2 or 4. However, when I went to look, it seems the price has gone up. Last month I thought they were quoted as 299 and 399 respectively, now they are 350 and 499! Maybe I got it wrong and they were originally 399 and 499 - but I don't think so.

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

Hey m1westwood,

No sir, you are absolutely correct. The price has gone up within the last week or so. My dealer tells me that in his opinion digiTech could have priced the VL1 and VL2 at twice their initial MSRP and they would still sell like hotcakes !!

It is my understanding that at this time, digiTech is the only company selling this type of voice harmonizer (chord recognition). Once other companies catches on to this breakthrough technology, competition will surely drive the price down.

I've had my VL4 on order since last month. Now they tell me not before Aug 20th. What is up with that !!

To all VL2 owners, please give us your honest opinion of your new unit.

• Members

Hey m1westwood,

To all VL2 owners, please give us your honest opinion of your new unit.

I've been following a thread of gigging musicians who were very skeptical about the VL-2 before receiving them but are now providing overwhelmingly positive reviews including gigging experiences with a bunch of different strumming styles. This is the most information I've seen from end users of the product.

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1266055944/m/6951098964

• Members

I've been following a thread of gigging musicians who were very skeptical about the VL-2 before receiving them but are now providing overwhelmingly positive reviews including gigging experiences with a bunch of different strumming styles. This is the most information I've seen from end users of the product.

Thanks for the link. Of course, hearing is believing which is why I posted the audio examples...you might want to check those out and make up your own mind. There willl be additional audio examples, too.

I certainly agree with the guy in that thread who said that "DigiTech has hit a home run."

• Members

Playing in different spaces and using different microphones, guitars, amps and/or sound systems will require adjustment on the vocalist live 2. Adjust the guitar volume on the guitar. The mic settings on the vocalist live 2 are essential for getting the best sound. After experimenting using a Taylor T5 to trigger the Vocalist Live 2 into a Fender Acoustasonic JR DSP I have found the following settings sound best to me. Using a SM57 into the Digitech Vocalist Live 2 try starting with

Input --- 2 o clock
Compression --- 8 o clock
Reverb --- 10 o clock – Room Reverb Setting
Enhance --- 8 o clock – Resonance Setting
Harmony ---10 o clock – 3rd above and 5th above for most songs

Output guitar into channel 1 of Fender Acoustasonic DSP and use guitar effects on amp. The guitar is passed straight through unaffected by the Vocalist Live 2 settings.

Output the mic from the vocalist live 2 into channel 2 of Fender Acoustasonic with amp effects off.

On some songs I also use a video iPod into channel 2 with bass and drum parts I have previously recorded. I adjust the volume on the iPod to get the right balance between the vocalist live 2 voices, bass and drums and adjust guitar volume from the guitar. The amp has a separate volume control for setting the level to feed the amp into the PA.

I hope this helps you get set up and started with the Vocalist Live 2

• Members

I just got mine a couple hours ago from GC..only one they got in...nice. It is so cool and fun.. might make a singer outa me. Played A Yamaha Silent Guitar and a (Turner) RS6 into a Roland Cube 30 and the vocals into a Schertler Unico with a Audix OM5 mic. Sounds awsome! Tracks so well, even when I am singing oh so quiet... very cool.
Hooked up a GEM RP7 keyboard...yes keyboard... (mono) and work well also...played a harmonica into the mic.... uhhh not so good (so far).
Tomorrow will try a Variax acoustic and some other guitars and keys and whatever else I have laying around... maybe even my tortiose..well maybe not.
Had a female friend of mine who is not really a singer sing a few simple words and Da's and sounded great... I like this thing a lot. Didn't read the directions yet.

• Members

Some comments about pricing...I don't speak for DigiTech and I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but I feel I can speculate based on my knowledge of how other companies work.

Technology companies often underestimate how much time and resources it will take to get a product to market (this isn't just the MI industry; look at how long it took for Vista, or the next iteration of the Mac OS X that was promised to appear months ago, to hit the market). Prices and delivery dates are often based on projections that turn out to be inaccurate to some degree or another.

I very much doubt that DigiTech raised the price "just because they could." Any company knows that the lower the price, the more units they'll sell; I'm sure if DigiTech could sell the VL2 for $49.95 and make a profit, they would because then they'd sell a gazillion. I think it more likely that the R&D costs for the VL series were higher than projected (and a royalty has to be figured into the cost as well), so DigiTech raised the price in order to amortize the cost of the technology at the same rate they had hoped to originally. The good news, of course, is that once the R&D costs are amortized, prices tend to go down on next-generation products.

Again, let me emphasize I have no inside knowledge of what happens with DigiTech's price-setting process, but the above scenario is pretty typical for our industry.

• Members

I ordered one on Sunday and it will be here tomorrow.

About pricing. I looked last Friday at a particular vendor and the price was still at $299. When I ordered over the phone on Sunday it had gone up to $349

Still not a deal breaker for a good piece of equipment. However, I recieved their new Summer catalogue today and lo and behold, It's still listed at $299

• Members

I traded in my Helicon for the Digitech Vocalist 2 today! I have a solo gig on Friday so I hope it works ok! First impressions: The Good: 1.)Super easy to use! Step on when you want harmonies-- step on when you don't! I'm not foot dancing anymore! 2.) It came up with the right harmonies for a few roots/rock/celtic tunes that the Helicon had trouble with-- more with a drone vocal. 3.) Basic design really helps when you're in a rush-- especially the effects!
The not so good: 1.) The Helicon's voicings seem way more clear and human. 2.) The Helicon seems more roadworthy. 3.) I play a 12-string acoustic detuned a half-step and use a capo alot-- the Digitech accomodated me and the harmonies were bang on except for an F# bass note over a D chord. It (I) solved the problem when I hit the F# harder and played the D chord lighter. No big problem.

Verdict: I'll take the simplicity of the Digitech over the clarity of the Helicon in my situation. I can really concentrate on the songs, playing the guitar etc. rather than formatting the harmonizer for the next song. This is especially important to me because I play songs on the fly depending on who's there-- older, younger, requests, etc. No regrets.

• Members

I have been following this thread for a while. It had peaked my curiosity and really interested in how well without 'programming' it works. Will it work in a "band" setting, such as splitting the signal from my Strat before the effects chain? In addition to playing solo, I am lead singer in a band with no other "singers"... I actually sing the harmony to whatever I teach them to sing! haha

I ordered the VL4 from Musician's Buy... I have ordered from them before and they area good bunch of guys. Here's lookin towards the August arrival date!

• Members

I forgot to mention that I had some problems with the Digitech tuner when using a capo on my detuned 12-string-- almost like it didn't "know" what note to tune to. I put a Boss chromatic tuner stomp box (a must for all 12-string players!) AFTER the Digitech (no pedals in between your guitar and the Digitech) and it worked fine . . . .

Fubtag-- I'm in a similar situation when I'm playing with my band. The Digitech will work as long as you place all effects and pedals after the processor otherwise the signal that the Digitech uses to produce harmonies will be jeopardized. So all stomp boxes, etc. are placed in between the "guitar through" and your amp. You can download the manual and it'll show some "common setup" diagrams . . . .

• Members

Hey Fuzzball-- the Helicon was difficult for me to program at first; there's a definite learning curve and I'm definitely not a programming guru. Having said that, the Helicon is not an incredibly complicated machine and after spending, say, 20 minutes on it I would feel confident playing live with it (I'm saying this in hindsight, of course!). I had to get most of my info regarding settings on forums rather than through the manual. You basically have to start from scratch with the Helicon and build it up to the type of sound you're looking for-- this was pretty in depth because you have to deal with compression, song/scale formats, etc. etc. You also have to literally build each type of harmony setting. For example, I programmed 4 types of harmony settings: 3rd above, 5th above, CCRish, and CSN&Yish. You program EVERYTHING. I was guessing some of the time! I didn't use the pitch correction so I can't comment on that. Everything worked fine on the Helicon and it definitely is a much more substantial beast than the Digitech. I had some problems when I used a front-of-house soundman with a band-- all the effects I set had to be taken out in order to use the soundman's effects. It's a great machine and it's built to last but it was way too tedious and time-consuming for me-- I sure miss the sound quality though. I'm having way more fun with my music now that I have the Digitech-- I have the time to!

• Members

The Digitech will work as long as you place all effects and pedals after the processor otherwise the signal that the Digitech uses to produce harmonies will be jeopardized.

That's true. Just plug the guitar into the VL2 guitar input, then treat the VL2's "Guitar Thru" jack as if it was your guitar's output. You also don't want to pull the volume down on your guitar too far; if volume swells are an important part of your act, place a volume pedal after the VL2's Guitar Thru output.

• Members

I wonder how it will work with Jazz chords. Lots of my songs are voiced with Jazz chords including Maj 7 and Dim 7 as well as 5th and Augumented. I notice with my Vocalist it kind of picks up traces of the chords and lead guitar parts through the mic and carries them into the mix, which is kind of a problem at times.

Archived