DIGITECH VOCALIST LIVE 2 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS AND VIDEO CLIPS!

Anderton

• Members

Looking at the pictures, it seems that the VL2 is a one-piece floor unit, meaning that it is controlled by stepping on footswitches. Does that mean that if I want to change the harmony parameters, for example, change it from a third and a fifth above to a third above and a fourth below, I'd need to bend down and hit some buttons on the unit?

The two footswitches are for effects on/off and harmony on/off; I've attached an image of the footswitch. But remember that "changing harmony parameters" means something different with the VL2 compared to related devices. I'll be explaining the harmony options in detail soon, but remember that the VL2 determines the harmony based on your guitar playing, so the only changes in settings are whether you want to have two harmony lines or one, and whether the harmony lines are lower than your voice or higher. So the whole point is that one you've decided the kind of harmony line you want, you bring it in and out with the footswitch.

However, if you want to turn off a line or change it from higher to lower (or lower to higher), or change from harmony to unison mode, then you would need to bend down and make these changes at the unit itself. You would also need to do this if you wanted to change the EQ or Reverb algorithm, or vary the amount of any of the three effects.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi-- I'm wondering if the Digitech will work when I tune my guitar a half-step back (G is an F#)?

This wouldn't be a problem as long as your guitar uses 440Hz as a reference. Which come to think of it, would be an issue if you're working in a context where A=440Hz is NOT the reference pitch...

You can do dropped tunings and such, the VL2 doesn't care where the notes come from as long as they're properly tuned to a reference.

• Members

Craig,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Although the VL2 sounds like it is a great unit, the inability to change harmony parameters without bending down and hitting buttons seems to make it not very user friendly for live performances. Would there be any way to run external footswitches that could be on the floor and have the unit itself mounted at waist height (like on a mic stand), similar to my Vocalist Performer?

Also, does the VL2 have a bass setting where the original sung note is reproduced an octave lower? This is a great feature on the VP and I use it a lot. Sounds especially cool when I use it for the intro to Black Sabbath's "Iron Man".

• Members

Although the VL2 sounds like it is a great unit, the inability to change harmony parameters without bending down and hitting buttons seems to make it not very user friendly for live performances. Would there be any way to run external footswitches that could be on the floor and have the unit itself mounted at waist height (like on a mic stand), similar to my Vocalist Performer?

I suggest you hold off for a bit and see what the DigiTech VL4 brings. As I recall from NAMM, it's more along the lines of what you want, although it's also more expensive...my take is that the VL2 is the "cheap and cheerful" box that everyone can afford, while the VL4 is for more advanced users.

Can someone from DigiTech chime in with some details on what to expect from the VL4?

• Members

My local GC told me they have them on route and my name is on one... Maybe it'll make a singer outa me. And I have a couple woman lined up to try it.

Also the VL4 may have pitch correction (though not sure) which would beneifit many on an off night.

• Members

Here's a question for ya. I run my acoustic guitar through an Aura. It has an XLR out that I run to the PA and also a 1/4" that I currently don't use. Can I just run a line form the 1/4" out to the Digitech and not have to run a line from the 1/4" out of the Digitech to the PA or would it be best to run a 1/4" out from the Aura and a 1/4" out to the PA and not use the XLR from the Aura? I'm just concerned with adding extra noise running both units in-line.

I have a Digitech VOcalist performer that my acoustic duo only use on a few songs because no matter how I program or change keys, it will invariably go to a wrong note sowewhere in the song. WOrks great on "Seven Bridges Road" because the whole song is 3rds and 5ths. FOrget it on "Suite Judy BLue Eyes". This new unit may be the ticket, although I may opt for the 4.

We are pretty good at singing in tune but you are right, if you are slightly off it is magnified 3 times. The pitch correction my come in handy, although the unit looks much more complicated for live gigging.

• Members
Here's a question for ya. I run my acoustic guitar through an Aura. It has an XLR out that I run to the PA and also a 1/4" that I currently don't use. Can I just run a line form the 1/4" out to the Digitech and not have to run a line from the 1/4" out of the Digitech to the PA or would it be best to run a 1/4" out from the Aura and a 1/4" out to the PA and not use the XLR from the Aura? I'm just concerned with adding extra noise running both units in-line.

I have a Digitech VOcalist performer that my acoustic duo only use on a few songs because no matter how I program or change keys, it will invariably go to a wrong note sowewhere in the song. WOrks great on "Seven Bridges Road" because the whole song is 3rds and 5ths. FOrget it on "Suite Judy BLue Eyes". This new unit may be the ticket, although I may opt for the 4.

We are pretty good at singing in tune but you are right, if you are slightly off it is magnified 3 times. The pitch correction my come in handy, although the unit looks much more complicated for live gigging.

The VL2 will recognize your 1/4" input signal regardless if you pass the signal out. So if you like the XLR from your guitar direct to the board, cool. It is important though to check the guitar signal LED to make sure you are feeding something into the box and that you are properly tuned.

• Members
My local GC told me they have them on route and my name is on one... Maybe it'll make a singer outa me. And I have a couple woman lined up to try it.

Also the VL4 may have pitch correction (though not sure) which would beneifit many on an off night.

I have found that the VL2 does make you work to become a better singer. The VL4 will also with it's pitch correction.

• Members
I suggest you hold off for a bit and see what the DigiTech VL4 brings. As I recall from NAMM, it's more along the lines of what you want, although it's also more expensive...my take is that the VL2 is the "cheap and cheerful" box that everyone can afford, while the VL4 is for more advanced users.

Can someone from DigiTech chime in with some details on what to expect from the VL4?

The VL4 has more! Up to 4 parts of harmony, 50 users and 50 factory presets with up/down footswitches, pitch correction, gender and genre voices, more vocal effects, guitar effects, the musIQ chord recognition can be turned off for manual key changes, built-in mixer, stereo XLR and 1/4" outs, aux in, headphone out, and more....

• Members
Craig,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, does the VL2 have a bass setting where the original sung note is reproduced an octave lower? This is a great feature on the VP and I use it a lot. Sounds especially cool when I use it for the intro to Black Sabbath's "Iron Man".

The VL2 offers two additional voices, a 3rd above or below, 5th above or below, two unison choices. The VL4 offers this plus an octave above or below.

• Members

I got my Vocalist Live 2 today. After tuning to it, adjusting the levels and tweaking the compressor, reverb, and enhance settings I started playing songs. I played many chord melody arangements, sang and it found each interval perfectly. I started trying progressions and singing notes to see if I could fool it into choosing wrong notes. As long as I didnt get to far out it was right on. Once my chord voicing on a progression from C C/B A7/Bb A7 to G where I sang a D fooled it and it sang a Db over the G chord. I adjusted my voicing on the G chord and it picked the D (correct) note. The Digitech Vocalist Live 2 tracks very well and is much easier to use the original VHM5. I still use a couple of them on my recordings. You can hear an example on the song "Music Is My Life" on my myspace/garyingram. I will need to use the Vocalist Live 2 for a while to see how it will best fit into my live music. I don't want to overuse it just because it is so easy. No progamming, no midi, clean vocal tracking of my guitar. Quick, fun, plug in, play, sing, set your levels right and the Digitech Vocalist Live 2 is amazing.

• Members

Craig,

Thanks for all the info on this new unit.

One more question. Looking at the pictures, it seems that the VL2 is a one-piece floor unit, meaning that it is controlled by stepping on footswitches. Does that mean that if I want to change the harmony parameters, for example, change it from a third and a fifth above to a third above and a fourth below, I'd need to bend down and hit some buttons on the unit?

This would be a definite turn off for me. I really don't want to do a live show where I'm constantly popping up and down on stage like a jack-in-the-box in between songs. One of the best things about my Vocalist Performer is that it is mounted on the mic stand right in front of me, but the harmonizing function is turned on and off via footswitch.

It sounds like the VL4 would be perfect for you. Just set your presets to the harmonies you like and step through them.

• Members

Thanks "Unclenicksnacks" for representing DigiTech, as you can see sometimes we have questions that I can't really answer...like what the VL4 is all about.

If you have any cool tips, feel free to chime in with those as well.

• Members

Well for starters, the VL2 determines the harmony based on your guitar playing...that's a pretty fundamental difference. I don't have the TC Helicon Voice Live available for comparison, but I believe the DigiTech unit is the only unit out there (aside from the upcoming VL4) with this "follow-the-guitar" technology.

• Members

I'll be looking for a review of the VL4.

On a side note, does anybody know why Digitech seems to have made the decision to drop the Vocalist Performer. Everybody I talk to says it's a great unit (I agree), especially for the price. So why did they decide to stop making it?

• Members

I'll be looking for a review of the VL4.

On a side note, does anybody know why Digitech seems to have made the decision to drop the Vocalist Performer. Everybody I talk to says it's a great unit (I agree), especially for the price. So why did they decide to stop making it?

I'd imagine because the VL2 outperforms it and it's the same price if i recall.

• Members

Digitech acknowledgement of our very own Mr Anderton. Way to go Craig! I guess Digitech is reading this forum :thu:

Greetings from DigiTech.

DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 Now Shipping

We are proud to announce the shipping of the latest in vocal technology, the Vocalist Live 2, new from DigiTech and the world's only smart, multi-part vocal harmony processor for guitarists. It's so simple to use: Play, Sing and Harmonize.

Go to http://www.digitech.com/products/Vocalist_Live2/ to discover the Vocalist Live 2. Then go to an authorized DigiTech dealer and sing your heart out. Harmony has never been easier.

Also, be sure to check out the Harmony Central Pro review by Craig Anderton at:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651409

DigiTech

• Members

I must concur that the VL2 works great!! I play in a band with my twin sons and we have the 3 part harmony thing down.....problem is they're going off to college!!! I played last night at one of our regular venues with the folks that will be taking over when they leave for school. The new guys sing a little, but no where near what we usually have, so I used the vocalist, after having just received it and then testing it for about an hour.

I had comments from several of our regular fans that the new guys were doing a great job on the harmonies!!!! They didn't even realize the other guys weren't really singing much!!!!

The only thing I had to do was tweak the mic level on the VL2 so that my mic and the other guys mic could be set at about the same level on the mixer. Other than that I switched between using a third above and below for most songs to a third and a fifth above for some others. A killer box, easy setup and sounds great!!

• Members

So I used the vocalist, after having just received it and then testing it for about an hour.

I think that says a lot right there :) I always recommend that people never use a new piece of gear in a mission-critical situation without extensive testing, but the VL2 is indeed pretty much plug and play. Glad you're enjoying it!

• Members

I received a private email from one of the developers of the musIQ technology, and asked if I could quote it in the forum...he said yes, so here goes:

"GARY25302 makes a very interesting point that we’ve seen time and again during our beta trials. Users report that for the vast majority of the time, the chosen harmony note works well, but there are always going to be the odd case where you don’t get what you expect. The cool thing is that without ever telling anyone, we constantly saw guitar players simply adapt a chord or accentuate a note and then get exactly what they want, just as Gary did. We actually didn’t really anticipate this, but we found that guitar players were using their guitar as the user interface – something they understood very well!

"The most common example of this is when a singer may want the harmony to go to, say, a 7th when he is singing the 5th, but was not in the habit of playing the 7th chord. By simply adding the 7th he gets that as his harmony note. Guitar players figure this out pretty quickly – one of the easiest ways to get a specific note you are looking for in the harmony is to make sure it’s in the underlying chord."

Archived