DigiTech Vocalist Live 4 (VL4)

Anderton

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Singing an F# over a Bm chord and getting the B rather than the A is reasonably common as it's most often the "correct" harmony. However, I'm a little surprised you get the A when playing Bm7 because I seem to remember trying that and got an A. Perhaps this is a situation where the "memory" works against you instead of in your favor...but also check the levels of the guitar going into the unit, because if the signal is not strong enough, the highest notes (which in this case would define the harmony you want) are the first to get lost as they have the least amount of energy.

If that’s not the problem, then you can always use musIQ-Alt mode. This will generally give you the A even over a Bm chord. Incidentally, you don't need to push the button with your hand while you're playing; whether musIQ is on or off can all be stored in the presets (something I use to advantage quite a bit!).

Thanks for the advice. I tried your suggestions. I tried a different fingering for Bmi7, and the harmony voice hit the A more often. I also tried MusIQ with the ALT mode and that seemed to work pretty well too, with the A registering about 80% of the time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GlennGalen

View Post

Here's an example of using the VL4 in a recording setting.

I overdubbed just the harmony, using the "Blind Boys" preset.

The song is "A Change Is Gonna Come", by the great Sam Cooke.

Here's a bit of it. I tried to mix the harmonies "back" a bit.

http://www.GlennGalen.com/examples/VL4Change.mp3

Sounds Great! honestly over the speakers i would never guessed it was a harmonizer.

Thanks for sharing wave.gif

Omar thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lhoard

View Post

Musicians Friend put the big one to me (I posted in the VL2 section about it).

I picked my VL4 up today at my hometown music store. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's made out of. I have previously owned the TC Helicon Voice Works.

There you go!

Sounds like a plan. I also got tired of MF's promises to ship with their constant "updated" backordered notices so I cancelled my VL4 order, (gasp)!!! eek.gif

Once my hometown store gets the VL4 in, I can test drive it there like I did the VL2. Simple solution with no more backorder notice games. mad.gif

Actually, I am pretty content with my VL2 as I just purchased it from my local music center August. I'm thinking, what am I going to do with two of these boxes? Based on what I'm doing now, the VL2 is small to haul, very simple and fantastic to use for live performances. The VL4 sounds less spontaneous for gigging purposes but I will still be open to testing it out.

Best to all,

thumb.gif

SoloArtist

• Members

Here's an example of using the VL4 in a recording setting.

I overdubbed just the harmony, using the "Blind Boys" preset.

Thanks GlennGalen! That is actually quite amazing!

BTW, did you sing with that wide gospel vibrato when creating the backing harmony or did the VL4 actually do that by itself? The VL2 doesn't have vibrato.

• Members

The pre-set 'GALS DUET' { makes a male lead singer sound female }; is cool to say the least. My wife burst into the music room looking for the hidden females.

Pre-set 'CSN' ; try that on 'Teach your children' by Crosby , Stills and Nash.

This is a cool thread to say the least; lots of harmony talk. Anybody else applied some of the cool pre-sets to any popular songs?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Metrico

View Post

Thanks GlennGalen! That is actually quite amazing!

BTW, did you sing with that wide gospel vibrato when creating the backing harmony or did the VL4 actually do that by itself? The VL2 doesn't have vibrato.

Thanks Metrico.

The VL4 did the vibrato on my "backing guys". It is really quite interesting how, with practice, you start to use the VL4 like an instrument when tracking the backing vocals. I kind of get into the "backup singer" frame of mind, and can see my self swaying and snapping my fingers like the Temptations icon_lol.gif

It's quite a lot of fun, and the possibilities are extensive for using the VL4 as an instrument in itself in recordings.

• Members

Another variation for the song that GlennGalen did would be to try #14 Big Gospel and do the song slow. I thought I changed races there for a second., no insult intended.

Keith: Yea, I've used # 1 alot for duets such as Peter and Gordon, Everley Brothers, Simon And Garfunkel, Beatles

• Members

View Post

Thanks Metrico.

The VL4 did the vibrato on my "backing guys". It is really quite interesting how, with practice, you start to use the VL4 like an instrument when tracking the backing vocals. I kind of get into the "backup singer" frame of mind, and can see my self swaying and snapping my fingers like the Temptations icon_lol.gif

It's quite a lot of fun, and the possibilities are extensive for using the VL4 as an instrument in itself in my recordings.

Hello, Glenn... for my first interaction on this forum, I'll go for a congratulation! Your song is outstanding thumb.gif and gives an impressive idea on the capabilities of the VL4. Mine is on order here in Belgium, but I'm now more excited than ever to get it in hands...smile.gif Thanks a lot.

• Members

Thanks every one for the clips, this helps me see what the unit can really do. It is hard to test one of these at a store and have enough time to get a real idea of what it can do.

Can any one provide side by side comparison clips with a TC Helicon voicelive unit?

• Members

hi guys. i bought my VL4 from music123.com for $399, but they said they inadvertently advertised it for that incorrect price. now they're selling it for $499 i believe. I found it at bhphotovideo.com for $449, but not sure whether or not it's in stock.

• Members

Has anybody seen (or created) a spreadsheet of the VL4 patch parameters for each patch. i think it would be extremely useful. I know you can manually troll through each patch to see all of the psrsmd but it is extremely time consuming.

• Members

View Post

Jeff,

I think it's because the pitch correction could not determine the proper pich from a multi-note the chord; it requires a scale.

Example: You are supposed to sing E, but you sing G instead. You are playing a C chord...C-E-G. How does that help on pitch correction?

My thinking regarding p correction is that a processor would hear that off-pitch lead vocal E, and let's' say it's half way between E and F (that's an E that's 50 cents sharp, right?) MusicIQ listens to the C-E-G from the guitar. MusicIQ would arm the p correction function with this information. This would tell the p correction function to assume that E, not F, is the correct note, based on the guitar chord. The p correction would act on the vocal, shifting it toward E, not F.

This would eliminate the need I have with my TC VoiceWorks to sometimes designate a diatonic scale and not rely on the chromatic scale, for pitch correction. In the example above, with my TC, if I was having trouble going sharp, while singing E, one solution would be to apply a custom scale. I could create and use a scale I'd call "C major no F," C D E G A B, on the vocal phrase in question.

Meanwhile, perhaps in a separate chain, the harmony function would apply the MusicIQ to that same E that's 50cents sharp, producing the desired harmony.

To answer the question directly, though, I don't know if there's a digital cure for the E sang as a G. Although my intonation is not where I want it, fortunately I'm not relying on that degree of p correction.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dugz

View Post

Has anybody seen (or created) a spreadsheet of the VL4 patch parameters for each patch. i think it would be extremely useful. I know you can manually troll through each patch to see all of the psrsmd but it is extremely time consuming.

Many of my USB devices have programs to view that type of spreadsheet. The VL2/4 doesn't have that capability an would most likely cost more.

However, you are only going to use a fraction of what the vocalist can do so understanding it and setting it up to suit your needs would be the better option.

In most cases, the 3u harmony is all that is needed. Add a few effects and you are set. Understanding how to use it with and without the MusicIQ can be helpful too. Adding the 5u or the 3d can ruin the effect in some cases so it depends on what you really need.

I would suggest spending a few hours learning the machine basics and you can write your own spreadsheets as you go. I can guarantee that you will still discover new things or techniques as you progress.

I own a studio vocalist which can do far more that the VL4 with the exception of the MusicIQ. I recently received my VL4 and I am completely happy with it because it meets my needs.

I have tested it out with songs like 'Helplessly Hoping' and 'Blackbird' with and without the musicIQ and with various harmony settings. It all depends on your settings and you ability to 'work' the VL unit. The unit will respond differently to the same song/settings depending on how you sing and play into it. The IQ is really beneficial on key change songs and does react differently in some cases.

For the new users, I would advise keeping it simple and begin by using Pitch correction in the chromatic and major settings. Stick with the 3U setting with and without the MusicIQ. When you find something you like use the STORE button.

Mark

• Members

I got my VL4 today, I got a great deal on it too at guitar center, it was totally worth the wait....!!!!!

check this out:

vl4....$345

24mo warranty $69.99

xenyx small mixer (so I can monitor my vocals only and hook the vl2 and vl4)..$41.83

24mo warranty on the mixer $9.99

2 cables 1/4 to xlr...$4.58

Total 471.7+tax

500.00 even!!!! the actual price of the vl4 at the store right now!!!!

now, I am looking forward to play with it, I will give my feedback later!

thanks wave.gif

Omar thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by orbm1

View Post

I got my VL4 today, I got a great deal on it too at guitar center, it was totally worth the wait....!!!!!

check this out:

vl4....$345

24mo warranty $69.99

xenyx small mixer (so I can monitor my vocals only and hook the vl2 and vl4)..$41.83

24mo warranty on the mixer $9.99

2 cables 1/4 to xlr...$4.58

Total 471.7+tax

500.00 even!!!! the actual price of the vl4 at the store right now!!!!

now, I am looking forward to play with it, I will give my feedback later!

thanks wave.gif

Omar thumb.gif

which guitar center? online or the actual store?

• Members

Omar,

Congratulations! With the demand for the VL4 your deal is one for the record books.

I would love to hear about any interesting ways you may find to integrate your VL2 with the 4, as well as any other insights you might have regarding getting the most out of your set-up.

Thanks,

Michael

Archived