DigiTech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard

Anderton

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by drewbrothers View Post
I'm not sold that there is a one size fits all. Yes guidelines are nice to help get you there but then you have to adjust according to your setup
Fair enough- tough perhaps to do guidelines for a specific artist.

Keeping it simple®, I assembled a generic reference for ordering pedals. Its under Shared Presets/Guidelines

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by jerryratpack

View Post

....What do you guys think about IR LOADING from 3 rd party ( like own hammer and redwirez) . It seems to be the shape of things to come so to speak......

Not knowing anythng about the topic, thought it might be a good idea to start getting familiar with it (in case a future update way down the road includes it). Started assembling a backgrounder for it. See Quick Study/Backgrounders/IR

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAceOne View Post
I don't agree: Especially the tone quality of the iPB10 is very, very good already and better than most other modeling pedals around IMHO.
I have to agree with SpaceAceOne. And I'd like to support my claim with a little story.

I am following this thread for quite a while though I am not a guitar player. But I got one of the guitar players in my band to buy an iPB-10. Here's the story:

A few months ago my friend sold his his old MFX, a Boss GT-10. His intend was to get its successor, the GT-100. At first he went to a store to compare the GT-100 to a Line6 POD HD500. He came back to tell me that the HD500 is so much better than the GT-100 sound-wise. So, the GT-100 was out of the equation. Just for fun I told him about this board that uses an iPad as its interface. That would be a nice feature for him because he never could dial in his tones easily with the complicated interface of the GT-10.

He then ordered an HD500 and an iPB-10 to compare with his own gear. We sat down together to compare the sound of the HD500 and the iPB-10 directly. Here's what we did: we deleted all effect pedals and only compared the amp and cabinets directly going through the same amp speaker. What we found was that the iPB-10 was superior with almost all amp models. In contrast to the HD500 the iPB puts warmth to the sound similar to a real tube amp. On the other hand the HD500 always sounds more like a transistor amp introducing distortions for higher frequencies (even after an update). For some amp models you can't even recognize the real amp based on the HD500 sound. That never happened with the iPB.

To summarize our experiences with different boards, their sound quality based on the amp models is as follows:
GT-10 Maybe some of the other boards have better effect simulations (we didn't compare this), but the iPB clearly beats the others for amp simulations. For my friend the amp is the basis for a good sound and then the effects' quality does not matter that much (and it is not bad at all on the iPB). He now uses the iPB regularly for gigging and everyone loves the sound.

One thing we figured while testing the different amp models was that we liked the tones better when slightly dialing in the boost knob (seems to be similar to presence control) on the amp.

Unfortunately, we did not have the capabilities to record our experiment. It would be great if someone could repeat it and post it on Youtube.

• Members

Great story MrS! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrS View Post
He then ordered an HD500 and an iPB-10 to compare with his own gear. We sat down together to compare the sound of the HD500 and the iPB-10 directly. Here's what we did: we deleted all effect pedals and only compared the amp and cabinets directly going through the same amp speaker. What we found was that the iPB-10 was superior with almost all amp models. In contrast to the HD500 the iPB puts warmth to the sound similar to a real tube amp. On the other hand the HD500 always sounds more like a transistor amp introducing distortions for higher frequencies (even after an update). For some amp models you can't even recognize the real amp based on the HD500 sound. That never happened with the iPB.
I also demo'd the HD500 and the GT100 before landing on the iPB-10. I found the HD500 a bit harsh and artificial sounding. I just couldn't get a great warm, tube-like tone or feel out of it. Of course - I didn't spend more than a couple hours with it, so I'm sure others can do better. But additionally, the interface was just painful and non-intuitive to me and I didn't want to have to rely on the computer to create and modify patches. I thought the GT100 put out some nice tones and it was easier for me to dial-in with it's interface. But I was reading a lot of people not being happy with their dated COSM modeling, so I was reluctant to buy it. So even though GC didn't have an iPB-10 hooked up to demo, I bought it and brought it home. Out of the box I got some great tones and of course the tweaking is SO easy and intuitive with the iPad interface. I haven't looked back.

• Members

Took the Plunge. Took my pedals and pedal board in, $100 dollars later, I walked out with the IPB-10. I thought it modeled the Distortion + and the OCD pedals quite well, plus the modeling, the ipad interface. What's not to like. This thread has been invaluable and I hope they continue to patch/correct IPAD 1 issues. Will be spending some quality time this weekend getting more familiar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsScholar View Post
Took the Plunge. Took my pedals and pedal board in, $100 dollars later, I walked out with the IPB-10. I thought it modeled the Distortion + and the OCD pedals quite well, plus the modeling, the ipad interface. What's not to like. This thread has been invaluable and I hope they continue to patch/correct IPAD 1 issues. Will be spending some quality time this weekend getting more familiar.
RhoadsScholar , congrats on one of your best purchases to date! Welcome to the family.

Re ipad1, per recent posts above, ensure you have reporting on.

• Members

Subjectivity alert...I think what's really special about the iPB-10 is that it you don't have to work to get good tone. I've always felt that I could get good sounds out of pretty much any amp sim, but some take a lot more wrestling than others. The iPB-10 takes minimal wrestling. And if you do tweak it, you can really take it far.

What I also find interesting is that I've followed DigiTech's modeling since the days of the J-Station. Every generation gets just a little bit warmer, a little more realistic, and a little bit easier to program. Those "little mores" have been happening for so long they've added up to a lot more.

Still like my GNX3000, and it has served me so well for so many years, but the iPB-10 just plain sounds better. And I agree whole-heartedly with all the people here who keep using the word "warmth" to describe its character. It pretty much refuses to be "brittle," which is what I often need to correct with other sims.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

I'll make sure our iOS guy pulls it from this thread. But it is best to sync and have the info sent to Apple, that way he gets it all in one report.

Will do but can you kindly loop back and confirm at least one report through Apple has been received? I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow the error reporting flow is broken. Hope you can re-open this bug based on my and jerryratpack's error reports. Thanks

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Subjectivity alert...I think what's really special about the iPB-10 is that it you don't have to work to get good tone. I've always felt that I could get good sounds out of pretty much any amp sim, but some take a lot more wrestling than others. The iPB-10 takes minimal wrestling. And if you do tweak it, you can really take it far.

What I also find interesting is that I've followed DigiTech's modeling since the days of the J-Station. Every generation gets just a little bit warmer, a little more realistic, and a little bit easier to program. Those "little mores" have been happening for so long they've added up to a lot more.

Still like my GNX3000, and it has served me so well for so many years, but the iPB-10 just plain sounds better. And I agree whole-heartedly with all the people here who keep using the word "warmth" to describe its character. It pretty much refuses to be "brittle," which is what I often need to correct with other sims.
Regarding the "brittle" thing mine did have this issue at first. Turned out to be my Bugera Amps pre-amp that made the difference. After going 4cm all the amp sims sound great and warm and really close to their original counterparts. I guess the whole point of amp-sims would be to bypass an existing amp. Otherwise I guess you'll have an amp+ampsim coming out of your 12" which just turns into brittle and not that good tone...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mck

View Post

Will do but can you kindly loop back and confirm at least one report through Apple has been received? I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow the error reporting flow is broken. Hope you can re-open this bug based on my and jerryratpack's error reports. Thanks

You got it!

• Members

I had a weird thing happen at my gig the other night. My wah pedal was VERY touchy...I usually have to really push the toe down to engage it but it was turni9ng on and off with just the slightest movement to toe down...like when I was using it as a volume pedal. I had to stop using it for the entire night as I couldn't tell if it was engaged or not sometimes until I could hear the trebly sound it produces. I haven't changed any settings and I did the update when it came out but have also used it at gigs before the last one. It's a head scratcher. I did recalibrate the pedal too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep View Post
You got it!
Hi DTP ;-)

Have you guys had the time to check why the Nexus app applies a capsim every time you leave the app and return to it while being docked? Even though no capsim is visible it's quite audible. This really sucks when moving in and out of, say, Garageband etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SkyhighRocks View Post
I had a weird thing happen at my gig the other night. My wah pedal was VERY touchy...I usually have to really push the toe down to engage it but it was turni9ng on and off with just the slightest movement to toe down...like when I was using it as a volume pedal. I had to stop using it for the entire night as I couldn't tell if it was engaged or not sometimes until I could hear the trebly sound it produces. I haven't changed any settings and I did the update when it came out but have also used it at gigs before the last one. It's a head scratcher. I did recalibrate the pedal too.

Mine did it too after the upgrade. I recalibrated it 'beyond' 99 and at around '15' it seems ok - but I'm sorry to say I won't trust it for a gig. Because of this, I never add more than one function to the pedal per patch 'cause i'm to scared it might just switch...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Foghmar View Post
Hi DTP ;-)

Have you guys had the time to check why the Nexus app applies a capsim every time you leave the app and return to it while being docked? Even though no capsim is visible it's quite audible. This really sucks when moving in and out of, say, Garageband etc.
I must have missed this one, this is the first I've heard of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhighRocks

View Post

You need to recalibrate the switch after the update. If this happens again let me know!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LandonC

View Post

Ok, so now that Apple announced an update to the iPad 3, do we need a new trey for it and where can we get the lightning connector for the IPB-10?

The dimms on the 4 look like they will work with existing trays. We look okay for adapter space with the current cavity as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

The dimms on the 4 look like they will work with existing trays. We look okay for adapter space with the current cavity as well.

I meant an entirely new cable that plugs into the circuit board - not an adapter from the large to small.

Archived