DigiTech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard

Anderton

• Members

I agree with everything you wrote Craig.

I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this review. I never really participated on greater HC before this review but now I feel like a regular on many of the fora. I've been participating in a professional and personal capacity on many boards over the years, I used to do tech support for dbx on the old VS88 board and Gearslutz back in the day. But this is the first time I've ever become so involved in a thread. It has been an incredible experience.

As I have mentioned earlier, I will be monitoring the thread here and the new User Group over on TGP. I also have been in close contact will several of the participants of this thread and I plan for that to continue.

Thanks everybody and thanks Craig!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by moreofU

View Post

-Does Digitech have a new cable and tray option yet for the new Lightening connector on the iPad Mini and the latest iPad?

Not yet, we think we have a solution, it just hasn't been implemented yet. PM me with your email addy for notification when we have the solution.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by moreofU

View Post

-Does Digitech have a new cable and tray option yet for the new Lightening connector on the iPad Mini and the latest iPad?

Not yet, we think we have a solution, it just hasn't been implemented yet. PM me with your email addy for notification when we have the solution.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
... As you may know (or not, if you haven't been here), the forum performance has improved dramatically over the past several days as IT zeroed in on the problem. ... Finally, there WILL be a permanent solution to the forum issues above and beyond the fixes that have, thankfully, restored functionality.
Thats good to hear as I there as I oaccsionally do check in.

...This thread was intended to be like other Pro Reviews, and they usually don't turn into a "User's Group" but have a natural curve where participation grows during the course of the review, and once the unit has been thoroughly examined, participation falls off naturally because there's not much more to say..... frankly, it was never intended to become a user group.
Well stated. And I think we all agree that "somewhere", it's important to have a user group forum for ongoing disccussion. So if this (great) thread is not intended for that purpose, and as the DigitTech.com forum is not ready for prime time, then the TGP threads do seem to remain the logical place for those discussions. So all is good.

... .... I would like to edit this thread down to remove duplicate comments, whining from people with strange agendas, wish list requests that are repeated multiple times, and some comments that are no longer relevant now that there's an update, and turn this into more of a reference.
Yup good idea - ok with me. Let me know how this affects thread referecnes, as the Ready Reference site links back to specific posts. I can fix them without too much effort if you let me know old and new numbers.

... That means the TGP material wouldn't have to duplicate the material here, but can continue "from this point onward."
Actually , per an earlier post, replicating HC threads to TGP was never my intent ;it was only a brief consideration if this thread was ever to be removed.

... As to whether to close this thread or not, I do not want to do that. It does have a particular personality with a particular focus.....
Agree completely. I personal found it to be invaluable.

... ... If someone reads something in a post here and has a question, that question needs to be answered here rather than expect people to hop forums to ask and answer questions.
Yup, 100%. Applies to any forum. Ask it here, repsond here. Ask is there, respond there.

... Also, I want to keep this open as sort of my personal iPB-10 blog as I continue to explore it (which I'll be able to do a lot better when I'm not dealing with dysfunctional forums). This thread has a particular focus.
Yup good idea and fine with me.

... The TGP threads are fine, but by their very nature they tend to sprawl over a variety of topics. As an analogy, this is like a workshop; TGP's threads are like a cocktail party, with bunches of people talking about different things. I think there's room for both, and DigiTechRep can just duck in from time to time, take the pulse of the two venues, and contribute when he has time.
I agree both can co-exist. Not sure the TGP thread are spralwing jsut yet, but they are set up such that new threads can easiy be establshed. We currently have:
DigiTech iPB-10 User Forum - General discussion
DigiTech iPB-10 User Forum - Shared Patches
DigiTech iPB-10 User Forum - Ready Reference
..and new ones, as needed, can easily be added, ie
DigiTech iPB-10 User Forum - Gig Bags
DigiTech iPB-10 User Forum - OnSong
etc.
... Overall, I think DigiTechRep's time might be better spent over at TGP (either as a lurker or contributor) as really, the "review" part here is pretty much complete, and the TGP forums might provide a better option for a continuing dialog with users. ...
Sounds great !

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09

View Post

Yup good idea - ok with me. Let me know how this affects thread references, as the Ready Reference site links back to specific posts. I can fix them without too much effort if you let me know old and new numbers.

Hmmm...that's going to be kind of messy to figure out, as any deletion of any post rearranges the numbers. However, if you can tell me the FIRST post that's referenced (I hope it's later in the thread!!), then I can keep track of how many posts were deleted prior to that post, and then just decrement the post numbers. Similarly, if I know the last post that's referenced, any posts beyond that point can be removed and I won't have to be concerned about messing up the references.

• Members
Hmmm...that's going to be kind of messy to figure out, as any deletion of any post rearranges the numbers. However, if you can tell me the FIRST post that's referenced (I hope it's later in the thread!!), then I can keep track of how many posts were deleted prior to that post, and then just decrement the post numbers. Similarly, if I know the last post that's referenced, any posts beyond that point can be removed and I won't have to be concerned about messing up the references.
No worries. I'll work with ya.

The post sI am referring to are thoes assoicated with the limk called "Patch" in the shared patch area, ie here:
http://ipb.mediamanhost.com/docs/ipb...by_Artist.html

So for example the Lonely Boy URL point to this post :
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post46772901

I have extracted the "p=" numbers for you (46772901 in this case) for all the patches, as I can see it in the URL. They are:

If you need the forum post number (1164 in this case). one would need to click on the "Patch " links one by one, here, as I cant see that number in the URL.

• Members

Alright, I am really interested in this product and just stumbled onto this thread. I read like the 1st 40 pages but I do have some questions and don't want to read the next 60 just yet (actually I do want to read them, I'm just impatient) so excuse me if these questions have been asked already.

I was initially interested in a device to maintain the current tone of my 6505+ head and the RP series and the GSP1101 really caught my eye for this, but the more I hear I think I might be able to use this device for all of my sounds. SO my question is, if go onstage (I play in a Dio tribute band) and plug this into say a Marshall 100/100 power amp, will that give me a oncvincing live tone? I mean Mustaine plays the GSP in a similar setup. Aside from delay spillover and some cab sim options, is the core tone of this unit as good as the GSP1101 for live use through a pweramp?

Also, my main computer is an iMac. Does that present a problem?

Thanks for completely awesome thread.

Mike

• Members

Hello Mike
I use a Macbook pro for my backing into a allen heath mixer with a USB cable , then out of my iPB10 , XLR outs into 2 channels of the allen heath , I plug a magicstomp into the stomp loop for my Shadows delays , I play Shadows covers + 60s 70s 80s covers , the sounds I get out of the iPB10 are pretty convincing to me and I get plenty of work so the sounds must be convincing to others as well , the only thing missing for me that the iPB10 can't produce is multiple delays , and i really really would like them in the next update . hope this helps . best regards Murray.confused.gif

• Members

I have a relatable question. I find that when I am using the volume pedal and press down to go to wah the volume on the wah goes to the highest setting. Is like I am incerasing the volume pressing down to switch to wah. Am I am idiot and now know what to do here? Ive tried different speeds. I want to have both pedals availabel. I love the ipb10 but two seperate physical pedals seem to be a must. Is there something Im not getting?

• Members

This is nice. A quick add on here. As a 50 year old guitar player, I would love to have the ipad screen better utilized, its hard for me to see the screen clearly on the ipad, I love the idea of the companion interface. However, when playing live I take my SKB board with the seperate volume and wahs and easier to see pedals with me. Realy dont want to. Keep up the good work.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GSprunk

View Post

This is nice. A quick add on here. As a 50 year old guitar player, I would love to have the ipad screen better utilized, its hard for me to see the screen clearly on the ipad, I love the idea of the companion interface. However, when playing live I take my SKB board with the seperate volume and wahs and easier to see pedals with me. Realy dont want to. Keep up the good work.

That would be a nice suggestion. In the pedalboard view, maybe they can provide a "fullscreen" option which takes everything away except for the assigned pedals and makes them bigger in the process.

• Members

I tried to go back to my HD500, I'm back to the IPB-10, it sounds better to me going direct. The stomp boxes are more like the real thing and the delays were cleaner and more responsive. Happy to be back. I selling the HD500 to my bass player

Now I have my IPB, DL1608 and Onsong on my Ipad for my gigs, all at my finger tips! Everything works great!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LandonC View Post
Still waiting for a solution for the new iPad lightening connection...be nice to hear an update or plan moving forward.
Hi LandonC,

As I mentioned to you previously via PM: In talking with the engineers on this project it is looking like a change to the chassis will be the solution to this issue. I will keep you informed as to when this solution is solidified.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep View Post
Hi LandonC,

As I mentioned to you previously via PM: In talking with the engineers on this project it is looking like a change to the chassis will be the solution to this issue. I will keep you informed as to when this solution is solidified.
Could you clarify what you mean by "change to the chassis"? Does that translate into me whipping out some power tools and following a modification diagram you provide to hack up the pedal, buying a new pedal with a new chassis, or buying a part of any kind to make this thing work? If so, how much are we talking here?

I thought the entire reason you guys designed the connector cable the way you did was so that you could provide a new connector cable when necessary. Why would you not do this rather than changing the chassis?

• Members

Another beef with this pedal on something I can't figure out. I hook it up USB. I set my iMac sound settings to use the IPB-10 for input and output. The volume controls for the iMac then go dead, and I can't hear any sound output through my studio monitors (which I have hooked direct to the pedal). Now, I've done this with the POD HD500 and the BOSS GT-100 without issue. I thought I read the USB connection support sound going in both directions does it not? I tried this in windows also just to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

To clarify a bit more, I can still hear my guitar but I can't hear anything playing from my iMac like iTunes for example. Or, I frequently used this setup with other pedals so i could use Guitar Rig 5, aka as an audio interface.

• Members
Could you clarify what you mean by "change to the chassis"? Does that translate into me whipping out some power tools and following a modification diagram you provide to hack up the pedal, buying a new pedal with a new chassis, or buying a part of any kind to make this thing work? If so, how much are we talking here?
It would be a mod that we perform for you.

I thought the entire reason you guys designed the connector cable the way you did was so that you could provide a new connector cable when necessary. Why would you not do this rather than changing the chassis?
That is how we designed it, unfortunately we can't get new connector cables in a timely fashion.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

That is how we designed it, unfortunately we can't get new connector cables in a timely fashion.

This "lightning" connector change seems to be quite the mess. I've been handling news releases for HC the past couple weeks, and quite a few are dedicated to "our device is now compatible with lightning," or "our device is slated to be compatible with lighting," or "we're currently working on lightning compatibility." The one thing that seems fairly certain is that Apple is making quite a few $$ on adapter cables.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep View Post
It would be a mod that we perform for you.

Well, that's a shame. Honestly at this point I wish I had gotten the RP1000 or RP500. I think I'm done here folks - thanks for all your assistance.

• Members
Another beef with this pedal on something I can't figure out. I hook it up USB. I set my iMac sound settings to use the IPB-10 for input and output. The volume controls for the iMac then go dead, and I can't hear any sound output through my studio monitors (which I have hooked direct to the pedal). Now, I've done this with the POD HD500 and the BOSS GT-100 without issue. I thought I read the USB connection support sound going in both directions does it not? I tried this in windows also just to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

To clarify a bit more, I can still hear my guitar but I can't hear anything playing from my iMac like iTunes for example. Or, I frequently used this setup with other pedals so i could use Guitar Rig 5, aka as an audio interface.
I tend to use Windows more, but wouldn't aggregating the iPB-10 with the existing Mac I/O do the job? The Mac does aggregation really well these days. There's an article in Harmony Central's library on aggregation basics for both Mac and Windows.

If that's not what will solve your problem, I need a little better idea of exactly what it is you want to accomplish. Is it that you wan to use the iPB-10 as your sole interface, and mix its output along with the output of something playing from within the Mac? If so, also remember that under the iPB-10’s Settings, you can adjust the ratio of what you’re hearing from the DAW’s output via USB (or the output of any other program you’re running where you can assign the outputs), and what’s coming from the iPB-10.

If you monitor from the iPB-10, you essentially get zero-latency monitoring with effects, because you’re listening to the iPB-10 output—not monitoring through the computer. Typically, for this mode, you’d turn off the DAW track’s input echo (also called input monitor), and set the iPB-10 XLR Mix slider for 50% USB and 50% iPB-10. (If you’re monitoring from the 1/4” outs, choose the 1/4” Mix slider). Then, you’ll hear your DAW tracks from the USB side, and your guitar—with zero latency and any iPB-10 processing—from the iPB-10 side.

If your computer is fast enough that latency isn’t an issue, then you can monitor solely via USB, and turn on your DAW’s input monitoring/input echo to monitor your guitar through the computer. This lets you hear the guitar through any plug-ins inserted into your guitar’s DAW track.

Archived