DigiTech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard

Anderton

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep View Post
I can't split my time between two forums at this time. I will wait for the issues here on HC to be resolved.
DigiTechRep, I understand and respect your position. After all, your time is better spent fixing issues and improving products rather than chasing user feedback all over the internet. Best would be for DigiTech to get its own forum running better and meeting user needs but till that happens I suspect you will need to follow the users if you care to hear about the issues. The slowness and access issues here are causing us loose valuable time and driving us away. I had to wait 2 days and try about 10 times to get this post in.

Craig, thank you very much for all you have done for our little community. All is and will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Over & out!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mck

View Post

I suspect you will need to follow the users if you care to hear about the issues.

I will definitely monitor what is happening both here and on TGP. As of now I'm on vacation for the next week, I'll be interested to discover what has transpired upon my return.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
Ad for the iPB-10 are plastered all over Guitar Player magazine and numerous other trade magazines. There are numerous demo videos on Youtube...
I waited patiently for weeks for Anderton to chime in with his "Do you have any factual basis for that statement?" and/or for the DTR to claim that such a statement is false or just FUD.

So, I guess it's up to me.

For Guitar Player mag, since Feb 2012 (as far back as my personal issues go), the iPB-10 had appeared in 2 advertisements. TWO ADVERTISEMENTS! (For the Whammy and iStomp? I count 12). This includes the recent Holiday issue. Plastered? Hardly.

So, where's the skepticism Anderton? Where's the discrediting DTR? I guess you only resort to that when the post is negative towards DT. (You should use the "subjectivity alert" more frequently Anderton.)

I have claimed for months that if DT continues to misappropriate resources away from ipb-10 marketing, this unit will die an early death, and at every turn I was met with criticism. The only assumption to be made here it that DT knows what they are doing. Right?

Well, the Holiday Musician Friend arrived last week and guess what? The iPB-10 is missing! No holiday special. No discount pricing. No bundles. No profiles. No reviews. NOTHING. (Except for a curious offer for a free iPad camera kit if you by any of the RP series boards. Does the RP series even interface with iPads??). Funny thing is, the iPB-10 IS being discounted (down to $419....even on Musician Friend! Do a search). --remember everyone, this is their "Flagship" product (according to the DTR).

This is a familiar pattern. When a company lowers prices, and cuts marketing, they are in a "wait and see" mode. When this fails (and it always does), that's when someone like me is usually called in to clean up the mess. Either that, or the product becomes a liability and is (quietly) discontinued. (visit http://www.digitech.com/en-US/support for a look at the bone-yard).

I'm on my way to TGP also. Maybe we can find some serious and unbiased discussion about DT and the iPB-10.

Good luck and keep playing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by drnat1 View Post
While the performance of the forum isn't great, it would be sad to loose DTRs huge input here & that can't necessarily be replicated in another forum. Craig, what are your thoughts?
And this is why the facepalm.gif was invented. I didn't go online while covering AES, which is standard operating procedure for me, but when I got home (after being stranded in LA for a day due to all the plane disruptions), I couldn't log on to the forums because I had been IP banned. Yes, that's right. So, I phoned another admin to remove my IP from the banned list...only problem was, it wasn't on the IP banned list.

I created an alt, but it didn't have admin privileges so I couldn't fix my real user name, and then I figured that participating under an alt would elicit "yeah, sure, you're Craig, right."

So they fixed it, and now I'm back on.

The forums do seem to be improving compared to the state they were in, and I know IT is working on it, and all concerned know how important it is to resolve this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but also doing burnt offerings, just in case. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thebioguy View Post
I waited patiently for weeks for Anderton to chime in with his "Do you have any factual basis for that statement?" and/or for the DTR to claim that such a statement is false or just FUD.

So, I guess it's up to me.

For Guitar Player mag, since Feb 2012 (as far back as my personal issues go), the iPB-10 had appeared in 2 advertisements. TWO ADVERTISEMENTS! (For the Whammy and iStomp? I count 12). This includes the recent Holiday issue. Plastered? Hardly.
I'm sorry you had to wait so patiently for weeks for me to chime in. I have more important things to do than search through magazines for iPB-10 ads to find out whether someone's subjective impression of DigiTech's advertising was correct or not.

Based on your response, I assume you failed to notice that R112 mentioned Guitar Player and numerous other trade magazines. Did you check Guitar World, Sound on Sound, Gitarre + Basse, Music Trades, NAMM Show Daily, Music & Sound Retailer, Premier Guitar, Guitarist, etc. etc. etc. etc.? Surely you realize that GP is an expensive ad buy because of its "golden demographic." If you're going to do ad buys with a limited budget, you're not going to put it all into Guitar Player. Also, you might consider whether GP's target demographic has a significant representation of iOS device users. The magazine itself is starting regular coverage of iOS devices for guitar in the February 2013 issue, because they've decided that using iOS devices with guitar is starting to gain enough traction with their readership to warrant it. A good rule of marketing is to advertise primarily in places that reach your target buyer idea.gif

I am assuming R2112 got the impression that ads were "plastered" because he saw ads in more than just Guitar Player, or as he specified, "numerous other trade magazines."

So, where's the skepticism Anderton? Where's the discrediting DTR? I guess you only resort to that when the post is negative towards DT. (You should use the "subjectivity alert" more frequently Anderton.)
Your "guess" is wrong. I don't "discredit" anyone unless I have data to back it up. Your personal observations based on looking through only your personal issues of Guitar Player (speaking of "subjectivity alerts") and ignoring "numerous other trade publications" is not significant enough to discredit what R2112 said. If you think that a post by a user of his subjective impressions of an ad campaign are going to cause me to run out and get copies of every music trade publication I can find just so I can call him out on it or not, and what's more do it immediately so you don't have to wait weeks for me to comment on a post I'd forgotten about...well, that's why the facepalm.gif is so handy thumb.gif

Well, the Holiday Musician Friend arrived last week and guess what? The iPB-10 is missing! No holiday special. No discount pricing. No bundles. No profiles. No reviews. NOTHING. (Except for a curious offer for a free iPad camera kit if you by any of the RP series boards. Does the RP series even interface with iPads??). Funny thing is, the iPB-10 IS being discounted (down to $419....even on Musician Friend! Do a search). --remember everyone, this is their "Flagship" product (according to the DTR).
Most people posting here have figured out that this thread is a review of the iPB-10 and provides a common place for sharing patches, techniques, and suggestions for future updates - its focus is not on the efficacy or lack thereof regarding DigiTech's marketing campaigns, or the prominence particular companies decide to give to marketing the iPB-10 to end users.

Perhaps you persist with this curiously Quixotic agenda because you are concerned there will be no more updates if the unit has lukewarm sales. This is a concern with any product, unless of course it cannot be updated. The question a potential buyer should always ask, as I recommend and have mentioned before, is "does this product do what I need now?" Obviously this thread is populated primarily with people who prefer to use the iPB-10 rather than speculate about peripheral matters, and also obviously, a lot of people are very happy with the iPB-10. As to other opinions:

Musician's Friend user reviews gave an average of 4.5 stars
Guitar Center's user reviews gave an average of 4 stars
Sweetwater's user reviews gave an average of 4.5 stars
Amazon's user reviews gave an average of 5 stars
zZounds's user reviews gave an average of 5 stars

(visit http://www.digitech.com/en-US/support for a look at the bone-yard).
Per your suggestion I went there, and found manuals in four different languages, a quick start, and net updaters for Windows and Mac. Obviously the Apple store is where you get Nexus updates, and if you click on the Nexus update on the support page, it leads you to version 1.06. There's also a link to register your iPB-10, and a link to contact tech support if you're having problems. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting.

I'm on my way to TGP also. Maybe we can find some serious and unbiased discussion about DT and the iPB-10.
As opposed to all that frivolous and biased discussion we've had here by people who, oddly enough, seem to think this is a place to share insights about the iPB-10, discuss patches, learn how to exploit it to its fullest potential, post audio examples, and offer suggestions for future updates.

I truly don't care what you think of me, but to belittle the efforts of the people who have contributed so much of substance to this thread is uncalled for, arrogant, and insulting.

• Members

I have a Fender Concert Ii and am using the ipb10 hooked up with the 4 cable method to my amps effect loop. When I do that the amps reverb is taken out of the equation altogether even when I put the ipb10 in bypass mode. The reverb works fine when I just hook the ipb10 to the amp input. I think it the amp bypassing the reverb when using the effects loop but I wanted to know if anyone else has had that issue. I like my amps reverb better than the ipb10's.

• Members

Well, I've been waiting to use my IPB-10 with an iPad forever. My wife sold her laptop and we got a new iPad - which has the new lightening connection. I had to get an adapter cable ($40) for the IPB-10 - because from my understanding there isn't a replacement available from Digitech yet (iPhone 5 has lighting, now iPad - logically so will everything else eventually). I can confirm for anyone who might be in the same boat as me that the adapter cable does not work due to it's size. I tried putting the other cable entirely within the body of the ipb10 and it still doesn't work - very disappointing. The problem is the length of the cable on the lightinging side. This is the cable I tried:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=45

I am going to try one other cable that is available if i can find it. This one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45

If that doesn't work anyone that has a new ipad is SOL with their ipb10 until digitech gets us a replacement cable for the 30 pin conneciton out there.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LandonC View Post
Well, I've been waiting to use my IPB-10 with an iPad forever. My wife sold her laptop and we got a new iPad - which has the new lightening connection. I had to get an adapter cable ($40) for the IPB-10 - because from my understanding there isn't a replacement available from Digitech yet (iPhone 5 has lighting, now iPad - logically so will everything else eventually). I can confirm for anyone who might be in the same boat as me that the adapter cable does not work due to it's size. I tried putting the other cable entirely within the body of the ipb10 and it still doesn't work - very disappointing. The problem is the length of the cable on the lightinging side. This is the cable I tried:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-02-m?fnode=45

I am going to try one other cable that is available if i can find it. This one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45

If that doesn't work anyone that has a new ipad is SOL with their ipb10 until digitech gets us a replacement cable for the 30 pin conneciton out there.
Actually I can see already there is no way that other adapter will work either. There is simply not enough room for the connection using an adapter. Digitech, we need a solution.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
I'm sorry you had to wait so patiently for weeks for me to chime in.
Apology accepted.

I have more important things to do than search through magazines for iPB-10 ads to find out whether someone's subjective impression of DigiTech's advertising was correct or not.
Oops.

Ah, but that's the point, isn't it. You choose to view it as subjective when it suits your agenda. It is, in fact, not.

Based on your response, I assume you failed to notice that R112 mentioned Guitar Player and numerous other trade magazines.
Quite the contrary. Unlike your frequently edited quotes, I quoted the sentence intact. Look again

Did you check Guitar World, Sound on Sound, Gitarre + Basse, Music Trades, NAMM Show Daily, Music & Sound Retailer, Premier Guitar, Guitarist, etc. etc. etc. etc.?
No, did he mention them by name? I'm sure there are far more foreign markets than your paltry list includes. Digitech is global company, is it not?

Surely you realize that GP is an expensive ad buy because of its "golden demographic." If you're going to do ad buys with a limited budget, you're not going to put it all into Guitar Player. Also, you might consider whether GP's target demographic has a significant representation of iOS device users. The magazine itself is starting regular coverage of iOS devices for guitar in the February 2013 issue, because they've decided that using iOS devices with guitar is starting to gain enough traction with their readership to warrant it. A good rule of marketing is to advertise primarily in places that reach your target buyer idea.gif
2013?? My concern is specifically about past practice. Try to keep up.

I am assuming R2112 got the impression that ads were "plastered" because he saw ads in more than just Guitar Player, or as he specified, "numerous other trade magazines."
Do you have any factual basis for that statement?

Your "guess" is wrong. I don't "discredit" anyone unless I have data to back it up. Your personal observations based on looking through only your personal issues of Guitar Player (speaking of "subjectivity alerts") and ignoring "numerous other trade publications" is not significant enough to discredit what R2112 said. If you think that a post by a user of his subjective impressions of an ad campaign are going to cause me to run out and get copies of every music trade publication I can find just so I can call him out on it or not, and what's more do it immediately so you don't have to wait weeks for me to comment on a post I'd forgotten about...well, that's why the facepalm.gif is so handy thumb.gif
Not to mention the complete failure to address the point of the post (and my concern of the past few months). DT is dropping the ball on the iPB-10. The failure to advertise and the failure to get into the HOLIDAY issue of Musician Friend, is the kind of mistake that kills products (and costs jobs).

Most people posting here have figured out that this thread is a review of the iPB-10 and provides a common place for sharing patches, techniques, and suggestions for future updates - its focus is not on the efficacy or lack thereof regarding DigiTech's marketing campaigns, or the prominence particular companies decide to give to marketing the iPB-10 to end users.
Funny, over at TGP, there is a healthy, mature and critical discussion of DT, specifically with regards to the iPB-10. You should check it out.

Perhaps you persist with this curiously Quixotic agenda because you are concerned there will be no more updates if the unit has lukewarm sales.
My turn to use the facepalm.gif

This is a concern with any product, unless of course it cannot be updated. The question a potential buyer should always ask, as I recommend and have mentioned before, is "does this product do what I need now?"
What a completely myopic view of musicians! Do you seriously expect us to buy gear that we consider disposable? My 1968 Martin D-28 would like a word with you.

Obviously this thread is populated primarily with people who prefer to use the iPB-10 rather than speculate about peripheral matters, and also obviously, a lot of people are very happy with the iPB-10. As to other opinions:

Musician's Friend user reviews gave an average of 4.5 stars
Guitar Center's user reviews gave an average of 4 stars
Sweetwater's user reviews gave an average of 4.5 stars
Amazon's user reviews gave an average of 5 stars
zZounds's user reviews gave an average of 5 stars
Thanks, but WE already know it's a great product. It's the company that SUCKS! (Seriously, try to keep up)

Per your suggestion I went there, and found manuals in four different languages, a quick start, and net updaters for Windows and Mac.
Try pulling down the product support menu and count the number of discontinued products on their list. Scary. Dumping products and leaving customers behind is a pattern for DT.

Obviously the Apple store is where you get Nexus updates, and if you click on the Nexus update on the support page, it leads you to version 1.06. There's also a link to register your iPB-10, and a link to contact tech support if you're having problems. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting.
No, of course you wouldn't.

As opposed to all that frivolous and biased discussion we've had here by people who, oddly enough, seem to think this is a place to share insights about the iPB-10, discuss patches, learn how to exploit it to its fullest potential, post audio examples, and offer suggestions for future updates.

I truly don't care what you think of me, but to belittle the efforts of the people who have contributed so much of substance to this thread is uncalled for, arrogant, and insulting.
"efforts of the people"?? I'm pretty sure you're the only problem here.

Listen, let me save you the trouble of "blocking" me again. Please delete my account. I can't seem to find out how to do it in your "settings" page.

• Members

Hey Digitech Rep, I was wondering if you could help me out since I can't seem to get through the support page from your Digitech website. So I've tried three times now using the contact form on the support page and keep getting an error. Here is what I was trying to post.

I bought the ipb-10 from musicians friend with their gold coverage warranty on Oct 15th, 2012. The cable connecting to my iPad worked fine up until about 3 days ago. It now will not hold the connection(sync) unless I push really hard and hold the two together. I was wondering if its possible for you guys to just send me a new cable since its easy to replace?

Thanks in advance

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

Sure, PM me your shipping info.

Welcome back! Hope you've had a great vacation and recharged the batteries. Please come join us on TGP if you have a moment. Great momentum there. Looking forward to having your interaction once again.

• Members

DigiTechRep, I'd love to hear some update/plan/timeframe for the cabled needed to work with the iPad lightning connection. The brief vague answers I got from support weren't very satisfying.

To quickly summarize - I got my IPB-10 first, then an iPad just last week. The new lightning connection won't fit in the housing even by itself.

As a customer I'd like to know a time frame of when we can expect to see a cable available that will work allowing you to close the iPad in the housing like normal. It would be great if I knew where to look for the availability of such a product, and even better if I could sign up to be notified when it was available.

Until then, I am forced to play without my IPB-10 live (tonight for example) because since I can't get it in the protective housing I don't want to risk taking it on stage. I already had to buy an adapter cable for $40, and I don't want to buy another extension cable and put it on a stand or anything like that (might fall over).

This issue is very important to me, and while I assume most folks on here have the older 30 pin iPad connection I do not.

Thanks in advance with your reply.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mck View Post
Welcome back! Hope you've had a great vacation and recharged the batteries.
Thanks, it was nice.

Please come join us on TGP if you have a moment. Great momentum there. Looking forward to having your interaction once again.
I've been reading the TGP threads, but I really don't feel right jumping over there since my presence in this thread was specifically requested by Craig. Mediaman is doing great stuff, he's a good dude.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LandonC

View Post

DigiTechRep, I'd love to hear some update/plan/timeframe for the cabled needed to work with the iPad lightning connection. The brief vague answers I got from support weren't very satisfying.

We are working on a new cable right now. The spec just came in and we should have a new connector worked up soon. Unfortunately I don't have an exact time frame for you. PM me your contact info and I will directly email you as soon as it is complete.

• Members

Got one more question for anyone who can answer. Is there anyway to set the delay easily to say for instance a dotted 8th note delay or do I have to figure it out in ms's every time? If so, I think this would be an easy and cool feature for the next update!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbyparts

View Post

Got one more question for anyone who can answer. Is there anyway to set the delay easily to say for instance a dotted 8th note delay or do I have to figure it out in ms's every time? If so, I think this would be an easy and cool feature for the next update!

Just hold down the delay button and tap it out?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep View Post
Thanks, it was nice.
I've been reading the TGP threads, but I really don't feel right jumping over there since my presence in this thread was specifically requested by Craig. Mediaman is doing great stuff, he's a good dude.
You have an open invitation, with wide open arms, and red carpets, to post on TGP anytime! We are all in the same boat here and your presence was and is always most welcome and desired. Its always great when you chime in, when you can, on any forum. I and others can only do and say so much from the user perspective, but none of us can really speak from a Digitech perspective smile.gif

• Members

Yea but I'd like to be able to do it more easily. Like in the amplitude app you can select bpm sync and then just go through your 1/4 note delays(straight,dotted,triplet) or your 1/8 note delays etc. That way I could just leave it set on dotted 1/8th note delay but tap in the regular tempo.

• Members

Rather than pwn you one last time and waste space trying to answer disingenuous points and rhetorical questions, I'll restrict myself to four comments.

...Over at TGP, there is a healthy, mature and critical discussion of DT, specifically with regards to the iPB-10. You should check it out.
I already have, because MediaMan09 does good work.

You should understand there is a difference between something labeled “General Discussion” and something labeled “Pro Review.”

What a completely myopic view of musicians! Do you seriously expect us to buy gear that we consider disposable? My 1968 Martin D-28 would like a word with you.
As if I said anything remotely related to expecting people to buy disposable gear...this is what I mean by disingenuous. Anyway, I too would like to have a word with your Martin D-28, as I wasn’t aware it has had numerous updates to take advantage of the many advancements in acoustic guitar construction that have occurred in the last 40+ years. You've underscored my point: You buy a product for what it does, not what you hope/wish it might be someday.

Thanks, but WE already know it's a great product. It's the company that SUCKS! (Seriously, try to keep up)
This is not a review of a company, a marketing campaign, or an ad budget spend. It is a review of a product. I don't know why you find that so difficult to understand, or why it's so vitally important to you that I turn a review into something it was never intended to be.

Listen, let me save you the trouble of "blocking" me again. Please delete my account.
Gladly. You have contributed nothing that would allow people to understand more about the pros and cons of the iPB-10, or how to maximize its potential if you’re a user. That is the purpose of a review.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09 View Post
Just want to be crystal clear that we draw the important distinction between :
- the outstanding work Craig has done here (and the discussion it generated) and
- the frustartions many of us had and are having with the HC forum service
You think you've been frustrated...

As you may know (or not, if you haven't been here), the forum performance has improved dramatically over the past several days as IT zeroed in on the problem. Actually it would be more accurate to say "problems," as there were several interlocking elements and they ALL had to be fixed before there could be an improvement. That's why incremental fixes made no apparent improvement; it was like a combination lock where you had to hit ALL the numbers before the lock opened.

Here's what I think we should do.

This thread was intended to be like other Pro Reviews, and they usually don't turn into a "User's Group" but have a natural curve where participation grows during the course of the review, and once the unit has been thoroughly examined, participation falls off naturally because there's not much more to say (except in the case of an update). This is not the first time a review has grown into something with more scope, but frankly, it was never intended to become a user group. The forums are really not set up for that sort of functionality, which I think would be better served by specific blogs "living under one roof."

With the permission of DigiTechRep, for whom I have the utmost respect, and the people who contributed so much of value to this thread, I would like to edit this thread down to remove duplicate comments, whining from people with strange agendas, wish list requests that are repeated multiple times, and some comments that are no longer relevant now that there's an update, and turn this into more of a reference. That means the TGP material wouldn't have to duplicate the material here, but can continue "from this point onward."

As I pointed out to thebioguy, you are aiming for a general discussion, which this was never really intended to be.

As to whether to close this thread or not, I do not want to do that. It does have a particular personality with a particular focus that I do not believe the TGP threads will duplicate, nor should they (hey, it's already been done!). If someone reads something in a post here and has a question, that question needs to be answered here rather than expect people to hop forums to ask and answer questions. Also, I want to keep this open as sort of my personal iPB-10 blog as I continue to explore it (which I'll be able to do a lot better when I'm not dealing with dysfunctional forums).

This thread has a particular focus. The TGP threads are fine, but by their very nature they tend to sprawl over a variety of topics. As an analogy, this is like a workshop; TGP's threads are like a cocktail party, with bunches of people talking about different things. I think there's room for both, and DigiTechRep can just duck in from time to time, take the pulse of the two venues, and contribute when he has time.

Overall, I think DigiTechRep's time might be better spent over at TGP (either as a lurker or contributor) as really, the "review" part here is pretty much complete, and the TGP forums might provide a better option for a continuing dialog with users. Of course, if he wants to stop by and say "hi," that's fine with me smile.gif

Frankly, I think both he and I have put up with some highly unwarranted crap here; my respect for his patience, and the way he's represented his company, is something that sets a very high standard for forum interaction.

Finally, there WILL be a permanent solution to the forum issues above and beyond the fixes that have, thankfully, restored functionality. This would allow for things like HOSTING what MediaMan09 was doing, which I had hoped we could do within the present framework but it was simply not possible.

Whaddya y'all think?

• Members

Hey guys

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this with the iPB?

I want to record 2 guitar tracks at the same time. One would be my iPB tone (with amp, fx, cab, etc) while the other would just be the clean signal of the guitar that I could re-amp later? Is there a way to set the outputs like this?

Output 1 - iPB bank 1, pedal A
Output 2 - clean guitar signal with no amps, fx, cabs, etc...but passes through and out of the iPB at the same time as output 1

Archived