Favorite songs to sing and play

wankdeplank

• Members

OK I haven't authored a thread in awhile so just for skirts and jiggles.....sorry I got distracted for a moment. 

Getting together with some of my more accomplished friends (drummer and lead guitarist) to jam tomorrow and just going through the songs on file in my mental catalog (mind like a steel trap, or prison maybe with undiscovered escape routes).  Absolutely forgot what a kick it is to sing and play "Sweet Caroline" and I sound just like Mr Diamond...yeah right.:smiley-eatdrink060:  Other songs that I'm enyoying the hell out of lately are "Stormy" (Classics Four), "Hide your love away" by the Beatles, "You may be right..." by Billy Joel and "Wild World" by Cat Stevens.  I know a lot of Creedence tunes that are fun to do but my vocals suffer in comparison to the great John Fogerty IMO. 

How about you, anything you enyoy performing or just playing at home or both.

• Members

gdsmithtx wrote:

Recent ones:

"Night Moves" by Seger

"Fire and Rain" vy James Taylor

"Madame Blue" by Styx

"She Talks to Angels" by Black Crowes

"Stormy Monday" Lou Rawls/Les McCann version

Ooh, thems some hard ones, to sing I mean.

I like to revisit some of my earlier tunes now and then; trying to remember words and chords.

My vocal range is limited to lower registers, so I can't sing the songs I actually want to sing.

Hey Bucks, good to have you back.  That last ambient thing you posted was dynamite IMO.

• Members

wankdeplank wrote:

OK I haven't authored a thread in awhile so just for skirts and jiggles.....sorry I got distracted for a moment. 

Getting together with some of my more accomplished friends (drummer and lead guitarist) to jam tomorrow and just going through the songs on file in my mental catalog (mind like a steel trap, or prison maybe with undiscovered escape routes).  Absolutely forgot what a kick it is to sing and play "Sweet Caroline" and I sound just like Mr Diamond...yeah right.
:smiley-eatdrink060:
  Other songs that I'm enyoying the hell out of lately are "Stormy" (Classics Four), "Hide your love away" by the Beatles, "You may be right..." by Billy Joel and "Wild World" by Cat Stevens.  I know a lot of Creedence tunes that are fun to do but my vocals suffer in comparison to the great John Fogerty IMO. 

How about you, anything you enyoy performing or just playing at home or both.

Hide your love away is a cracker, lots of different guitar harmonies on the original.

Come up and see me ( make me smile) cockney rebel, is one of my favourites, the 2nd half of the solo is a pig to nail though.

• Members

The kind of Songs I like to sing though admittedly my voice is not what it was at 28 but on a good day i can still get them out

Riders on the storm

Under the bridge

Be-bop-a-lula

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (a powerful song, but only with the lyric sheet in front of me :)

Blue Hotel  a great song and surprisingly simple to sing and play if you haven't tried it yet.

There's a few lessons on youtube but they seem to get the rhythm wrong, (tremolo/ echo has to be right) Use the video and tab together. and have fun

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/chris_isaak/blue_hotel_crd.htm

• Members

Penny Lane - Beatles
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
What Do You Do With a BA im English / It Sucks to Be Me - Avenue Q
Suit and Tie - Justin Timberlake
On Broadway - George Benson
A Day in the Life - Beatles

... And every other Beatles song ever. But Penny Lane is probably my favorite to sing

• Members

Very hard for a beginner to say what my favourite song to play is, but I'm working on 'Going Back Home' by Dr Feelgood/Wilko Johnson as my first song.It's only 4 chords but there is a hell of a quick C-B-A change at the end of each verse that's proving to be a bugger.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/dr_feelgood/going_back_home_crd.htm

I'm getting there though! :smiley-music021:

• Members

kit_strong wrote:

Here are a couple of classics that I enjoy butchering.

Dude, you've improved....a lot.:smileythumbsupsmall:

I'm definitely going to pick up "Stand by you" thanks to you.

Very hard for a beginner to say what my favourite song to play is, but I'm working on 'Going Back Home' by Dr Feelgood/Wilko Johnson as my first song.It's only 4 chords but there is a hell of a quick C-B-A change at the end of each verse that's proving to be a bugger.

Another artist on the other side of the pond I'm not too familiar with.  Glad to see you're getting serious with it Johnny.

• Members

Burgess wrote:

My approach to singing has always been "It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it".
:(

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) is a fun one because there's way more playing than there is singin.

See that's the sign of a really good guitar player.  Me, I'm always like well at least I can play rhythm and sing a little.

Archived