What I Run, Why I Run It, and What I Think of It

Guest Anonymous

• Members

Any solo acoustic systems out there? Along with 98% of the people in this thread, i am also an IT guy/application developer...i found it funny how many of us are in the same field so-to-speak.

I played in an acoustic duo/trio for 15 years and finally decided less is more. I have recently put together my solo rig - here goes:

1. Crate PX600 DP Powered Mixer
Got it from a friend. has a 16 band EQ and pushes about 150+ watts each to my mains which are...

2. Yamaha A12 Mains
I perch these things up on my "on-stage" tripods and they are fantastic!

3. Samson A2 Acoustic pedal
I use this not only to add a little compression and reverb to my Martin DCXE - but it has a cool sounding drum machine that i play along with on about 70% of my set list...i control the drum machine with an external yamaha foot pedal.

3. Zoom 502 Acoustic pedal
Believe it or not, i run my vocal send through this and have it programmed to add reverb, EQ, and a little doubling effect...I have used alesis and yamaha vocal processors in the past and this "accident" i found is the best thing i have ever used on my vocals...

4. Samson Q7 vocal mic
This thing is sweet - I have used 58's, and had a beyerdyne for a while and, for me the Q7 is best.

My pedals sit nicely on a mount on top of my powered mixer which sits right beside me upon an "on-stage" amp stand tilted perfectly so i that everything is at my fingertips while standing.

I am looking for an adequate, inexpensive monitor solution and have considered a used in-ear product. I also thought about getting a $40 kustom 10" monitor and a stand to set beside me at ear level...any suggestions would be great.

this setup works perfectly for me. I can carry everything into the venue in about 3 trips and set it up in under 15 minutes.

any other solo acoustic entertainers???

-mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

New to the HC forum and have already recieved some great advice. I was in the recording industry for awhile, both in major studios in NYC and then in my own studio. But all the home studio biz kinda made my system old school, so i sold it. To someone who made it his home studo..lol. Wound up on the road with a few different SR companies and decided to try and fill a void in my area.

So this is what I have....
CONSOLES
1-Mackie CFX16 mixer
2-Mackie 1604VLZ mixers
1-Soundcraft 16 ch mixer
1-Yamaha

*want to upgrade mixers

SPEAKERS
2-Mackie SRM450 powered speakers
2-Yamaha S115V
2-Yamaha SW118IV (empty at moment)
2-Yamaha S112
2-Nady PFW15

AMPLIFIERS
1-QSC RMX2450
1-Nady SPA1400
1-Peavey PV-8.5C
1-Peavey CS800

*want another RMX2450 or PLX

Rack Gear
Behringer FBQ3102
AB International 215 EQ
Peavey VSX crossover
Lexicon MX200
2-Digitech Studio Quads
Behringer Autocom

* Want at least 1 more FBQ, and better Comp./gates

RACKS
20 Sp RollerRack
12 sp Convertarack

250' 24x4 Stage snake in its own case

This is a bit of a Mix and Match setup but I have been doing alot of mix n match shows. Very versatile for what it is. Have done small coffee house style gigs w a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals with just the CFX16 and SRM450's. But I have also had to do a charity w everything from an acoustic band to a country pop band to a rock band to a ballz out punk band. (see www.blankfest.com)
And I basically ran everything I had to keep everything sounding good and loud.
I sometimes do add the MackieSRM450's as sidefills or as a remote speaker setup in another room,(some bars/resturants around here want all the rooms covered)

Am going to be upgrading...a lot it seems... over the next 6 months or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm from New Orleans, La. and I do legal work for several corporate clients (I won't say my job title so nobody misconstrues my posts as legal advice). Mainly I'm in corporate reorgs, patents/transfers, and federal tax, but I mix in a little white-collar criminal defense. However, I don't want to do this forever, and hopefully I'll have enough saved in 7-8 years to semi-retire and run a small sound company because I enjoy it.

So, after about half a year lurking, scouting gear, checking Craiglist, Ebay, and the LAB marketplace daily, I have finally, very slowly, assembled two solid rigs and feel confident posting here so others might be able to learn from my experiences.

I rented for about seven months, and I really think everyone should do this for AT LEAST two months before they buy a rig. Not only did I get to try out nearly every system in my price range to find what I liked, but I was able to test the waters to see if I could make a commercial success of the business.

I run sound on a contract basis for a few other bands (always trying to add clients) and my own band, a Motown cover band. I play bass in that band and sing backup vocals. I also have a rig for rental and for corporate speaking gigs.

I'll include price I paid and what I think of each piece of gear.

FOH Speakers:

LS700P - Purchased from Audiopyle sound for $750 shipped to my door. This is an incredible piece of equipment. I used most other subs in this class (the $600-$1500 powered sub class) and I love this sub. The bass is insanely tight and perfect for Motown. It might not work great for types of music that need huge boomy bass, but to get that thump-thump precision Motown tight sound, the dual 10" woofers are awesome. My next purchase will be a second. It has a tiny footprint in the car and is fairly light for the price. A+.

Pair of E12s - Purchased used on ebay for $600 shipped. Shopped for a while before I decided on these. Had the E15s for a while but they were very heavy and I liked the 12s much better now that I have a subwoofer. It came down to these versus the NX55s. I didn't like the NX55s processed sound, but I wanted to stay all Yorkville - these tops came along at the right price. They sound fantastic, but they are pricey if you can't find a deal. I am very happy.

QSC RMX 1850HD - On order from Audiopyle. Haven't gotten it yet, but I've used a RMX 1450 for the E12s and I'm sure this will be just as solid. Six year warranty!

Monitor Rig:

4x HX121Ms - I really, really like these speakers. Purchased four new from Guitar Center for $1,000. I think they sound really nice for low-budget wedges. Came down to these of the Yamaha club concert 12"s, and these look worse but have better sound. Went for sound.

2x QSC RMX 1450s - These guys are freaking incredible. Heavey, but they go all day in the New Orleans sun and they never miss a beat. Just great, great, great amplifiers. Can't say enough about the QSC RMX series.

Processing:

Peavey Addverb - $61 on ebay. This unit is great for the price. Sounds great, just works. I can't tell the difference between this and my friend's brand new $200 midiverb. Might not compete with the TC gear at $500, but I think it sounds really nice.

Peavey 31-band EQ w/FLS x2 - $90 and $103 on ebay. I'm looking for two more of these. Rock solid, quiet, sound fine, and really easy to take feedback out of monitors. Really nice for corporate gigs where people who arn't used to microphones are handling them near monitors.

Yorkvile E1215 - Just ordered from AudioPyle sound, but have rented. I have trouble telling the difference in an A/B over a Peavey 23XO crossover I used to use. Purchased to go bi-amp with the system.

Peavey 16FX - Cool mixer. I don't have much to compare it to - I used a Behringer mixer before this and then a CFX-20 - but the mp3 output is decent and doesn't sound too bad. Small number of XLR inputs but hasn't limited me yet. If I start doing better, bigger bands, I'll pickup a "real" console and move this to monitor / recording duty. Still with the rebate its a great price.

Peavey PV231 - FOH EQ. I can't tell the difference in an A/B with this and the much more expensive EQs. Solid, no noise, and works. Just like you expect from a Peavey.

Microphones:

3x SM58s - for our two other vocals and a drum mic overhead. Again, I'll have to upgrade this when I move out of our band. Everyone knows how these work.
1x GLS Audio 57 clone - for my vocal. I've used this Mic forever since I learned to sing backup on it. Im just used to the sound, distance, pickup pattern, etc... I should probably upgrade since its really cheap, but Im used to making it sound good.
1x. SM57 - for the snare drum. This sounds great - really great. I like to cock it a bit to get some high hat, slight reverb, and pull the highs down. Makes a really nice, dead sounding snare. I need to get a drum mic clip though.
1x Shure Beta 52 ($120 Lab marketplace) - Sounds good, but nothing to compare it to. I like to take the mids out.
1x e609 - Guitarists' microphone on his amp. He picked it out. It sounds pretty nice - but only on non-distorted, clean guitar. Use it on distortion and watch out - I really don't like the sound.

I have a multitude of cables, stands, direct boxes, microphone stands, etc... that I am happy with, but they are such a hodgepodge of cheap craigslist purchases that I can't really list them.

I have an Odyessy case that I really like.

Corporate / Rental Rig:

To do rentals (which has made me an insane amount of money in just four months - paid for the speakers/mic three times over)

2x Mackie SRM450 - Used on craigslist for $400. Used to be my tops until I got the E12s. People know "Mackie" and trust it. If JBL made a cheap powered top that was reliable (not as expensive as the PRX), they'd make a killing since everyone wants to rent JBL. These look nice and people know them. They get loud and accurately produce vocals.
1x Shure 58/SLX Wireless Mic system - Used on craigslist for $350 (maybe too much). Works really well and is solid.
1x XLR Y-Cable
2x On-stage speaker stands

This package goes out as a rental for $100 flat for a day. I've rented it many times and paid for its cost several times over. I really should add a second package. When I do corporate speaking stuff (like, I'm actually there) I add (in addition to the above):

1x Peavey 112 TLM monitor that I re-grilled with Yamaha Club Concert style grill and foam - used for $70. The re-grilling made this a really slick looking professional monitor. The volume control is broken.
1x Mackie 1202-VLZ - I got this on CL for $25! Used as a preamp. Sounds really good. Not enough inputs for a band application, but for speaking it works well.
1x Peavey EQ w/FLS - I ring out the monitor using this before the gig. No feedback yet at any of the corporate gigs. Go out an aux into this into the amp to the 112 TLM.
1x QSC RMX 850 - Going to move to bi-amp my E12s, but right now it powers through one channel the Peavey 112. I'm still looking for another 112 so I can have stereo monitors for larger corporate gigs, but I don't want to overpay.

Overall, I'm right around $4k in to this system. I feel it was a good investment. I really feel like the key is to rent for a long time first to make sure you can get clients and to identify EXACTLY what you want to buy. Then be patient and watch the used markets closely. I think if I had to liquidate this system I could probably get about or more than what I put in.

If you're thinking about a sound business, bands are more fun, but a decent corporate / rental rig can be had for less than $1k used and will make you much more money. Do that first, they spend the weekends mixing bands.

Best,

John

• Members

Just a quick introduction. I basically run sound for my band, usually from the stage. I do sound for others when we're not busy. I typically work a couple of specific rooms on the requests of the owners. That is, I'm paid by the band, but the club owners respectfully request that I do the sound. They know that I won't get the Liquor Control Board called for excess noise.

The rig isn't much, but it's mine and it's paid for.

Here is a quick overview:

Mixer:
Allen & Heath Mix Wiz 16:2

Speakers:
Turbosound TXD 151 High Packs
Custom Dual 15" Subwoofers
Yamaha Club Series IV 18" Subwoofers

Monitoring:
(2) Yamaha Club Series IV 12" Wedges
(2) Community Style 15" Wedges

Amps:
(2) Yamaha P7000S Power Amplifiers (15" Subs & Hi-Packs)
(2) QSC RMX 2450 Power Amplifiers (18" Subs and Monitors)

EQ, Dynamics, and Effects:
EQs by Rane, Peavey, and ART
Gates by Behringer
Compressors by Behringer and Alto
Effects by Yamaha and T.C. Electronics

Microphones:
Vocal Mics by Shure and Senheiser
Instrument Mics by Shure and Senheiser
Drum Mics by Shure, Audix, and CAD

Lighting:
(16) Par 38 Cans
(4) Pin Spots
(1)Elation DMX Controller

• Members

They're comparable. They both suck! But, I don't use them on any money channels. If I need compression for vocals, I have an RNC in my recording rack that I leave in the trailer unless I need it. On the other hand, I think the Behringer gates are pretty good for the money. They're not Drawmers, but hey, for 99 bucks! ! !

The crossover is the next thing to be replaced. Trying to decide if I want to go with DSP or just a better quality X-over. If a DSP, I'll probably do the VSX-26 from Peavey. Or maybe just a decent Rane or Ashley X-over. I don't rent the system out without me, so, although I should have limiters, I know what the system will do.

The rack is an EWI. As well as the snake, patch snakes, and other odds and ends. I love their stuff.

I run 4 monitor mixes for my band. Two of the guys are on in-ears, though. Another P7000s is coming soon, as well.

• Members

I am the bass player in a 3 piece band with a combined age of about 160 that plays rockabilly and some "classic rock" covers. We use my PA system. I do a little bit of SR and recording for other bands as I have a quasi studio as well as dedicated rehersal space. It is definitely a hobby not a business for me. It is way too much work for too little ROI to consider it as a business. The good news is that I get to work only with people that I like, and are cooperative.

I use a Yamaha O1v96 which is extraordinarily flexible. I use the dynamics and EFX in the O1v. There is also an HD24 24track recorder in the mixer rack.
My FOH is triamped, consisting of 2 Peavey SP5gs with 2 EV SXA180 powered subs. The SP5g's are powered with a QSC RMX 2450 for the lows and an 850 for the horns. I use a Peavey VSX26 for crossover and processing.

Monitors are 2 mixes into 3 15" Peavey wedges powered by a QSC RMX 1850HD with Peavy EQ and limiter.

I have the amps mounted in an EWI shock mounted rack with a back plate that has NL4 jacks for the biamp cables, XLR inputs from the O1v and XLR outs for the subs as well as a flanged inlet for AC power. So easy a caveman can connect it. The monitor amp rack is set up the same way.

Microphones are mostly Shure. Beta 58, 57, 77, KSM109, and assorted Audix, AKG and Sennheiser as well. I make a lot of my cables using Neutrik connectors, but I gotten some from Audiopile, including an EWI snake that I found to be high quality and fairly priced.

I am very pleased with the system overall, especially the VSX26 and the O1v96. I have always gotten great feedback on how it sounds, and how it is dead quiet. I have not used it for more than a 500 person venue, and I don't know that I would.

Misc stuff in the spare, retired and "thought I'd try it" pile include:
Alesis- compressor limiters, EQ and MidiVerb4,and 2 studio 32 inline consoles.
Behringer-Feedback destroyer, EQ, effects and compressor
Peavey-CS 800,900, M-4000 amps, VSXII crossover
Yamaha- EMX68s powered mixer,
Speakers from Altec and Acoustic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am the lead singer/rhythmn player for a 5 piece Red Dirt/Top 40 Country and Southern Fried Rock Band in OKC. We play originals and covers and gig 2-3 times per week. We've gone through many variations of PA systems until finally settling on what we think is the best sounding, most compact, portable system:

Mixer:
A&H MixWiz3 16:3

Speakers:
2 - QSC HPR153i - Powered tops
2 - QSC HPR181i - Single 18" Powered subs

Monitoring System:
2 - Bose L1 Model 1 PA Systems

Microphones:
4 - Shure SM58
1 - Sennheiser EW G 100 Series Wireless

Rack & Other Gear
2 - Sennheiser EW G 100 Series Instrument Wireless Systems
1 - DBX DRPA
1 - DBX 266XL - Compressor for VOX & Rhythm Geetar
3 - EWI Rack Cases - Excellent quality and price!!
# - LiveWire/Monster/Audiopile Cabling
1 - 16 x 4 / 100 ft LiveWire Snake

We normally play medium sized venues, 150-400 folks. This system is incredibly compact and sounds amazing. We do mix all instruments through the system and can set up / tear down in less than 20 minutes. Future upgrades may entail inner ear monitoring and I've got my eye on the Yamaha O1V96 board, however I'm extremely happy with the current A&H board...but you know us musician/sound folks...are we ever completely satisfied?!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

about me: 48, professional woodwind player / music teacher in my local school district. I still perform most weekends and have added live sound production to break the monotony. the rig that i use most often:
FOH:
4 yorkville e152B's (bi-amped)
2 yorkville tx9s subs
the above run as a 3 way system with a yorkville e152 processor
Monitors:
4 pairs of bose 402's with bose eq
Amps:
2 crown itech 6000's
2 crown xs4300's (four channel amps)
Mixer:
A&H Mixwiz 16 w/ effects
Gear:
2 DBX 2231 EQ's
sm58's, etc
audix D6
100' 16x4 snake
stands, wires, etc
I use this system for our town's local "concert on the beach series" during the summer months. I also use the system for a few indoor events and use 2 bose 502BP's instead of the tx9 subs. For most gigs I can fit everything in my ford expedition (with a platform attached to the trailor hitch) but for the outdoor gigs I need to make two trips to the venue or I rent a van and add the rental price to my fee. My rig works well for a one-man operation and does an adequate job at the beach too! The yorkville e152p crossover makes routing things a snap and the crown amps have been rock solid while not drawing much from the wall.
I have done a couple of large (7,000+ spectators) outdoor events. In those instances, I subcontract a local provider to supplement my gear.
Best, Mike M

• Members

This was my first time through this thread... but it is a great thread.

I guess I can add my little system and 2 cents worth:

Local guy (cool Bob) suggested like maybe 10 years ago that he thought the powered boxes were doing a pretty good job, so when I went out looking for a system, that is what I got.

Original System was two Mackie Subs (SRS 1500 - like 600 watts?), a Behringer mixer (UB something), and two Behringer tops (B-300). We were using in ears monitors direct out of the mixer, with no stage amps, and electronic drums.

Eventually ( after some discouraging warranty issues)ditched the Behringer stuff, and upgraded to the Allen Heath Mix Whiz, and Yorkville NX 550 P tops, and then when monitors were required for another band, I got additional NX 550 P cabinets to use for the monitors. This was all bought after much assistance here, and bought from Audioeast. These changes have worked out well... good sound, reliable, and easy to use.

My real pride is the EWI 16x8 100' reel snake, that is just so easy to use.

I don't like loud music, and most of the stuff I have worked with is acoustic based, and this system has been big enough for that, and always sounded good.

I have tried a lot of different mics, trying to make myself sound better... but I keep just sounding like me... I do prefer the shure beta 87 over the beta 58 or the SM 58, but I think I like the SM 58 second best, and frankly wish I had just stuck with those... if a SM 58 isn't good enough for you, either you are REALLY REALLY good, or the problem is not in the mic. The best place to buy mics is at Northern Sound and Light.

All my cabling is EWI (including the reel snake) - from Audiopile and I could not be happier.

I no longer use any outboard gear... just the effects built into the Mix Whiz (a little reverb). I run everything flat unless there is some adjustment that has to be made... and there alwasy is something of course... but for lighter easy listening music... a lot of "processing" is unnecessary. I just want to keep things simple... which helps me to get others to help with the work part.

My gratitude to so many here at the HCLS forum who have helped with my education regarding this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

28 y/o systems designer and installer for a high end home audio/video and automation company. I've been working with bluegrass based music for about 8 years now. I was part owner and operator for www.bluegrassjam.net (closed down now, but a hell of a lot of fun when we were running it). I work as FOH engineer for a few regional bands, I work for a couple local venues and I am looking to pick up production at a small outdoor venue this summer, and I freelance through a few mid to high volume production companies in the area doing festival work during the summer. I am currently in the process of building my first personally owned rig. Starting small and systematically began selling off pieces to help fund newer replacements. Right now, I am sitting on:

1x Peavey 24FX
1x Yamaha MX400 24/4
1x Whirlwind Medusa 16/4 100ft snake
1x Proco Stagemaster 16/4 100ft snake

2x Wharfedale LA15Ps
2x JBL Eon G2s
2x Soundtech 318 front firing subs
4x Peavey 1245 SP2 monitors

2x Samson Servo 600 Amps (monitors)
1x Crown XLS 602D Amp (subs)
ART 310 2way/3way Crossover

FOH Effects Rack (MBT 8 space)
1x Stageworks Power Conditioner w/ lights
1x ART 355 Dual 31 Channel EQ
Digitech S100 dual independent channel FX unit
Samson S-Com4 Compressors

1x Equation Audio DS-V10 Supercardiod Vocal Mic
1x Equation Audio DS-V9 Cardiod Electret Condenser Mic
1x CAD 217 Condenser (Overhead Drums)
1x Audio Technica Kick/Tom
1x Shure Beta 52A Kick Mic
5x Shure SM58s
4x Shure SM57s
2x AKD D870s
2x Samson R21s (don't think I have ever even used them in a show, just kinda hanging out in the case)

Gateway MX6248 Laptop for Soundforge 8 live recording and Smaart v5.4

Various Whirlwind, Shure, Audio Technica, On-Stage cables, adapters, mic stands, speaker stands, etc.

- I really, really liked my MX400 when I first got it. I actually acquired it as a trade for a few gig commitments at a local bar. They had it in their storage room and didn't even remember that it was there. The only problems it had when I picked it up were:
(a couple of dirty sounding channels, a couple of missing plastic sliders, and no headphone output) It has lasted me about 3 years without problems, not to mention the other 20 it made it through before I picked it up. Not a bad deal really!!! I've recently ordered a Peavey 24FX that should be in this week. I am looking forward to playing with it and seeing if it really lives up to it's claims. I like the idea of the built in Feedback Ferret, effects, and compressors. I am curious to see how these functions eat up processor capabilities. Pretty darn excited to get it in...

- I love my Peavey 1245s. I picked them up from a fellow who lives about 30 minutes from me. I bought 2 from him for $150 and picked up another pair for $175 from a used gear dealer. All four were in great condition and look and perform like new. The Samson amps are a perfect match for them.

- I am not a huge fan of my Wharfedale mains. They just don't have the power I need. I am thinking about selling one and using the other as a drum monitor, when needed. The Eons provide more power and sound much clearer. The Soundtech subs were picked up from a friend in a band that I have done work for. He got them in as a trade at the music store he works at. Got the pair for $100 and had to refoam them. Like new now. Great full, low-end sound.

- As far as my current rack gear goes, the only thing I have been disappointed with is the S100. I knew, out of the gate, that this was mostly a studio unit and that it wasn't famous for it's sound, to begin with. It gets me through the night, but will probably be replaced with a Lexicon MX200 in the next couple of months. (I don't forsee the Peavey built-in effects being suitable for every occassion). The Samson S-com4 has been a good unit and seems nice and transparent and functional. Definitely suitable for my needs at the moment. The Art 355 is a great EQ for the price and definitely gets the job done. Nice and transparent and clean. Same goes for the ART 310. It does exactly what I need from a crossover.

- Now for mics. The 58s are 58s and the 57s are 57s. I don't think I really need to say much more. The Equations are awesome mics. I bought the two on a whim and have enjoyed them to no end. Much more responsive than the 58s with a great amount of range. No muddiness to speak of. The DS-V10 is used for my weaker vocalists and really helps to pull them back into the mix with stronger singers in the same band. (I have this problem in a couple of the bands I work with on a regular basis. Several singers in the group with varying abilities as vocalists) The DS-V9 has made it's way to being an amp mic and is wonderfully clear and responsive for that task. I've used it on vocals, with success, but I tend to like it on a guitar cab more. The D870s are ok. I bought them because they were inexpensive and I figured I would give them a try. Not bad to have around as spare vocal mics when needed. As far as the R21s go, lets just say that they might make a good weapon if I am ever mugged during load out. I don't expect much more from them and in turn, don't use them during performances.

The Medusa and the Stagemaster have their own reputations and they have lived up to it without fail.

I'll keep updating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey way cool thread thanks Mark I'll start off with my musical background first i started playing music at the age of 6 my first R&R band at the age of 10 I'm 45 now. I'm also multi-instrumentalist vocals ,guitar, drums and bass guitar out of the 30+ years I've been in music I mainly was a lead singer for 30 years but now i just can't sing anymore the doc says I need throat surgery to repair the vocal chords and it just huts to damn bad to sing lead vocals now. My main role as a musician now is bass guitar since I jacked around with one for the past 20 years I finally took it serious enough to be in a band. As of now I'm in a classic metal cover band doing covers from Sabbath to Iron Maiden and also some hair metal glam bands we're in dire need of a new singer the one we have now sucks. mad.gif But anyway here's my small club rig.

FOH speaker cabs
2-EV SXA 360
2-Yorkville LS700P

Mixer console
Peavey RQ2314

Rack gear
1-QSC PLX2505 ran @4ohms for wedges
1-Alesis midiverb 4
1-Sabine FBX 2400 (monitor eq) I love this thinglove.gif
1-Rane ME15 EQ
1-Peavey EQ for monitors
1 DBX 223 Crossover

Monitor Speakers
2-Yorkville NX35's
1-Yorkville NX750P

I know most here eq their monitors with a 31 band eq but since I bought the Sabine FBX I just use the Peavey 215 to add sparkle on the monitors which I use the NX750P one one side of the PV eq and Sabine FBX for a Roland V drummer who likes insane loudness and the YX15P' go to the other side of EQ&FBX for vox and guitar the combination off the Sabine FBX and Peavey EQ works great for mixing on stage I don't have to dick around in a moments notice for a stray FB freq. the Sabine does it on the fly without altering my PV eq setting it's a great FB unit and thanks to Don AKA dboomer for your recommendation on the Sabine I really love this unitlove.gif not only does it eliminate FB but also gives moe waaay more gain before FB and IMO that's a Godsent..smile.gif
Racks and Cases
Twostone DYI 1/2 ply with laminated fiberglass lightweight but sturdy enough to take on the duties of the road.
Stands and Whatnot's
4-On stage mic stand all with boom arms
2-Samson mini boom stands
2-On stage adjustable speaker stands
1-Telex wireless instrument
1-Nady IEM ( I know) but it works for the singer which he bought this for himself
Mics I have 1-SM57 for lead guitarist 1-Senns silver e609 for rhythm vox 3-Heil PR20's and a vintage SM58 that has the windscreen replace just recently from a stupid drunk who came up and knock it over urghmad.gif

Cables
EWI from Mark&Liz at Audiopile great bang for the buck cables thanks guys

Backline gear
Lead guitarist Epiphone Les Paul Custom copy with Morley wha playing thru a Marshall JMC head and slant Marshall 4x12 cab great sound mic'ed with the SM57 on the Samson mini boom
Rhythm guitarist My Hamer sunburst XT Q/T with a MXR Phase 90 played thru my Peavey Valveking head into a Peavey 4x12 slant cab great sound when cranked mic'ed with the senns silver e609 on the Samson mini boom
My Bass Rig 200 wattt Ampeg Diamond Blue Tweed amp combo with built in DI. straight into Peavey mixer
Bass guitars a modded Fender JP90 with Ducan quarter pounder P&J PU's and hipshot tuner and a Warmoth maple neck and strap locks.
My other bass a Schecter Diamond custom 5 string with EMG active eq tone pots pretty great sounding for a Korean made bass won't replace my fender but sounds good and looks nice. wink.gif
Drummer's rig a TD10 Roland V drums with expansion upgrade these are the bomb thumb.gif I own a set of TD6 for my home studio project but the TD10 is amazing with tons of features we tried this kit with real cymbals but really the on board factory cymbal sound better then what the drummer owns, these drums are also I consider another godsend they totally sound fantastic, are breeze to set up and have no FB issues and only use 2 inputs on a stereo channel on my PV mixer when used on the stereo channel and you pan them on the module you get unbelievable stereo image but hey who can afford these bad boys poke.gif we just got lucky our drummer has good credit. cool.gif Anyway this system works great if you have a E-kit but as usual I opt for more bigger PA system if I had the Budget idea.gif yea line arrays would be my choice but I can't imagine having line arrays in a small club I'm afraid the club owner might ask us to turn down and that would be well kinda like if your to loud your to old theory. Anyway this system works great for our small club circuit usually a crowd of 50-100 folks and only problem I ever had was clipping the amp out because we had the signal gain set to high on the V drums but then again I was using 1 YX15P for a drum monitor and like I posted our drummer like it loud but since I now use a NX750 that problem doesn't exist no more hey folks some of you guys got some killer rigs thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just relocated and sold off the 'big rig' of SRXs, Midas, etc in the box truck. I did retain one steady band that pays well cool.gif and put together a rig basically for them, but I'll take any work I can get. I'm 30 and work as sales support for a corporate AV house (boardrooms, classrooms, etc).

My huge concern was fitting this all in a minivan. I run:

FOH
Yamaha 01v96- Learning curve, but reduced my size req.
ADA8000- Actually works great
2 Galaxy wireless IEM systems- They work...
2 DBX231 EQs- for monitors. again, they work

Power amp rack
2 Yamaha P7000s Amps- Mains. Lots o power
1 QSC 1804- Monitors. Great, even though it cools the other way.
Rane X-Over. Big upgrade over internal in the P7000

Speakers
4 Yamaha CM112-V for mains. Can't be beat for the price
2 Yamaha CW118-V subs. See above
2 EV Force-I Monitors Super small footprint and decent sound
1 Mackie SRM350 Dusty, just for backup

Mics
Sennheiser E835 for vocals. Three pack great price, sound good
Heil PR20 for snare. Killer mic
Audix Micro-D for toms. I love 'em
Audix D6 for kick. Best kick mic I've used
Sennheiser E609 for guitars. No stands needed, sounds good.
Countryman DIs for bass/keys. What can I say?

Lights
P64LEDs in front. Light, low power draw, blinky to impress chicks.
DJ-Scans in back. Lots of 'wows' from a cheap light.
Elation DMX Operator Pro console. A little overkill...

Like I said, it all barely fits into my minivan. I didn't mean to be so Yamaha, but they offer some great product at the price I was looking at and it sounds pretty good for what I do (mostly corporate top40 stuff). I have a shallow 6 space rack for FOH and a rolling 8 space for amps. Compact and powerful. I ran a couple of outdoor gigs with it this summer and I'll admit the bass was a little lacking with just one pair. But indoors, it's more than I need for this gig.

I run stereo, but am thinking of switching to mono to free up a snake channel and run two less speaker cables. That's a project for a different dayicon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madt0wn

View Post

I just relocated and sold off the 'big rig' of SRXs, Midas, etc in the box truck. I did retain one steady band that pays well cool.gif and put together a rig basically for them, but I'll take any work I can get.

I'd love to hear your impressions about sound quality with this rig compared to your "big rig" that you used to have. Most of us are trying to head in the other direction - ie: upgrading - (I know I am). In fact I run Club series speakers and eventually want to go with something like MRX's or SRX's; it would be interesting to hear your perspectives now that you've "gone the other way".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dravenzouk View Post
I'd love to hear your impressions about sound quality with this rig compared to your "big rig" that you used to have. Most of us are trying to head in the other direction - ie: upgrading - (I know I am). In fact I run Club series speakers and eventually want to go with something like MRX's or SRX's; it would be interesting to hear your perspectives now that you've "gone the other way".
Well, speaking purely sound-wise, it's a downgrade. Definitely not the chest thumping lows I was getting from dual 12s over dual 18s. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to A/B the systems. Things just cut through better without being 'louder' with the SRX rig. But there was always something about the high-end on the JBLs that my ears never fell in love with. I call it the sizzle.

But again, I went for something that fits in my minivan and sounds decent. These corporate gigs are way more about looks and showing up on time than having top-o-the-line gear. For the money, the Clubs can't be beat (my opinion).

Going from the Midas to the Yamaha was a bit of a kick in the nuts, soundwise. The EQs just work so smooth and the pre's really let things shine. But again, cost and size restraints leaned me toward the 01v. I got a smoking deal on it 2nd hand. Good thing too, I couldn't squeeze any more outboard in my van as it is. Otherwise it would have been a mixwiz for sure.

I have been extremely impressed by the P7000s amps though. A ton of good sounding power, light weight, and affordable. The internal x-over is a little weak, but that's sort of expected. I cooked them in a couple of hot, long outdoor gigs this summer and no problems to report.

• Members

Finally putting up my setup on this thread.

I am in a weekend warrior type situation running sound from on stage. Rock to hard rock (lots of acdc/zeppelin type stuff). I have built this system up slowly and probably not particularly smartly over several years. Largely second hand and cheap. Mostly used for crowds up to 150 people. Usually far less.

Have run sound maybe 15 times so far in various situations, but have helped with sound through other engineers a lot more than that. Starting to get more regular gigs now.

2 yamaha 12" speakers on sticks (don't remember model number)
2 Etone single 15" folded horns, bought cheap, big, heavy, but loud, solid and reliable.
2 EV 12" wedges - These have been good since day one.
2 Custom made wedges with Nessel speakers. Close to the ev's in quality
1 Peavey PV2000 power amp (4 unit brick)
1 Yamaha P3200 power amp
2 ZPE 600 power amps (4 unit bricks)
Soundcraft M12 mixing board (modified for 4 pre fader sends)
3 Ross 31 band eq's (single rack unit)
1 Dbx 166xl compressor
Audiopile drum mics
2 Ramsa vocal mics
1 SM58
Various basic mics and di boxes.
Several par56's (4 on a stand) and a large number of mini par m16's.

Overall I am happy with the sound I get in the given situation. Of all the components the mains and the vocal mics are the weakest points.

My main problems with this system are to do with weight, setting up and transport. I'm currently working on replacing the brick amplifiers, I am also working out better/easier ways to connect up the components. I currently have no snakes or pre-wired racks.

Between good setting up, decent mics and decent wedges i do not have any feedback problems. I keep my foldback settings unchanged from gig to gig and I think only one frequency is slightly turned down.

I don't run eq on the mains and the sound out the front is fine being perfectly flat - I also don't run eq on the drum fill and don't have a singing drummer.

So far I haven't had power problems. Played without all my lights the other week with everything on stage running of a single circuit - no problem.

Essentially I know my limitations. I don't claim that this rig will do really big gigs but for the places we play it has been absolutely fine.

• Members

I'm going to amend my original post:

I'm a house tech for a bar, but the PA is owned by the company that I contract through, which means that I have NO money invested in the PA, which is very very nice. I've now been the house tech for 3 years, and have averaged between 75 and 100 shows per year there.

FOH Console:

A&H GL3300-40

Good: Not a bad sounding board, it's pretty much the Ford Taurus of middle-level consoles - rarely the coolest thing to drive, but everyone knows how to work it and it'll get you from point A to point B reliably. Good EQ and flexible routing.

Bad: The faders seem to attract dust and smoke more than the Soundcraft K2 that used to be our FOH console. Preamps really like to be run relatively hot (+2-+4 dBu).

Monitor Console:

Peavey Mark VIII 32 Channel

Good: 32 Channels, 8 Auxes, quite a bit of headroom, haven't had it fail in 15 years of service.

Bad: It isn't the best sounding board and by now, the pots have started to get a bit scratchy. When our power supply died a while back, it took the Mute and Signal LEDs with it, so we only have PFLs to make sure things are working.

FOH Processing:

Presonus DEQ 624 EQ
DBX DriveRack PA
2 x Behringer Quad Comp
2 x Behringer Quad Gate
1 x TCE M-One
1 x Yammy SPX90
1 x TCE D-Two

Good: I like the M-One as a mid-level FX unit, and the fact that we've got 2 verbs and 2 delays in 2 rack spaces is really nice. The Behringer stuff is all older Behringer, and it's not really that bad. Just don't use it on anything really critical (like voice).

Bad: The Presonus isn't a great sounding EQ. I've learned that the key to the Presonus sounding good is to set it for +-6, and use as few cuts as possible.

Amps:

Lows - Crest 10001
Mids - 2 x Crest VS1100
Highs - Ashley MOSFET
Center Fill - Crest VS900

The lows in this room stomp, and that 100 lb battle tank of an amp helps that along. Crest amps seem to be plenty reliable, and we've got more headroom than we really need.

Speakers:

Mids/Highs - 2 x Peavey DTH4s loaded with Black Widows/side
Lows - 2 x Custom built double scoops from the JBL design (Dual 15" in a semi-horn load per cab)/side

Good: The DTH has a very nice midrange character to it and the double scoops are perfect for the room we're in, as a front load would kill the people up front and a horn load would kill the people in the back.

Bad: I don't like having a 15' speaker reproducing both mids and lows, but it's nothing a quick cut on the EQ can't take care of.

Overall, this PA is great for what it's intended to do (install in a 550 person bar). There are little things I'd like to do, but working within the budget that we've got, it's an easy enough PA to run and I've never blamed the PA for a bad mix.

• Members

My rig has been built on a series of "deals". I am still learning alot from here so please chime in with any suggestions / advice.

Mains: 4 Yamaha S115V
Subs: 2 Yamaha SW218V
Monitors: working on that still (prob club series)

Amp for mains: 1 QSC 2450
Amp for subs: Either 1 QSC 2450 or 2 bridged QSC 1450
Amp for monitors: Unknown for now

Mixer: Carvin 2440

Rack suff:
Fuman Power Conditioner x2
dbx 231
dbx 234xl
Alesis 3630 for vocal tracks 1 & 2
Lexicon MX200 for Vocals & insert effects
ART Multiverb Alpha for insert effects
Stanton CD player

Mics: Shure SM58s

I'd like to get another QSC 2450 so both pairs of mains can have them
I'd really like to run the 2 SW218V off of a QSC 4050, but that's out of my price range for now.

Thanks for any helpful comments!