What I Run, Why I Run It, and What I Think of It

Guest Anonymous

• CMS Author

I mostly use my system in support of my own band.

What I've got:

Peavey RQ2318

JBL SR4735X(2)
JBL SR4719X(2)

QSC RMX2450(2) and PLX3402

Shure PSM200

dbx 166X
DOD SR431QRX dual 31-band EQ
dbx DRPA

SM-58
SM-57
e835
D-6

Why I use it:

My goal is a good system for rock, that's relatively small so I can move and use it alone if necessary. The quality of sound is excellent, so in this respect I consider the rig a success.

What I would change or add:

I'll replace the DOD EQ with a pair of dbx 1231's, though the unit does seem to do okay.
Probably get a second PSM-200, and whatever wedges I decide to buy or build.
A TC effects unit will replace the Lexicon mpx110 I sold a few months ago.
When I 'run out of channels', an A&H GL2400 will most likely be the replacement, but I'm relatively happy with the Peavey's performance...it's quiet, and reliable, but two more aux's would be nice.

• Members

I'm a 34 year old drummer/sound guy in a very popular cover band that just broke up! But anyway , this is the rig I currently run. It's small and lightweight enough for me to set up without any help. I can fit it all (just barely) in my mini-van! I can easily scale it down to do all sorts of things from speech only events to a full band. I have done corporate parties and outside festivals of up to 300 people with no problem (except left-right coverage)!

I don't know a whole lot about live sound (maybe 6% of what there is to know) , but I've managed to NOT have to have a day job for FOUR months now! I've been able to support a Wife and three children just running sound - God is good! I do bar bands , some outside festivals , Praise and Worship encounters , youth concerts , and speaking engagements.

So don't ever let anyone discourage you or your band from doing this! Don't let yourself be beaten down by hurtful comments by others in the "live sound & entertainment world". You just have to forget about your silly pride , be on time (be at least 15 minutes early) , close your mouth and listen , ask questions (there are no stupid questions - so when you post here , you don't need to start it with , "I know this is a stupid question , but...") , take notes , and watch your attitude! Don't be a stubborn , stuck-up know-it-all who really knows nothing... YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN GET "THERE"...

THE CHIP ROBERT'S RIG...

speakers...
JBL M-PRO 415's (mid-high cabs - X 2)
JBL M-PRO 418S's (single 18" subs - X 4)
JBL EON15 G2's (powered speakers/monitors - X 4)

console...
MACKIE SR 24-4

power amps...
QSC RMX 2450's (one for hi-mids , one for subs)

effects processing...
DBX DRIVERACK PA
TC ELECTRONICS M300
DBX 231's ( X 2 , for monitors)
DBX 1231 (for FOH)
BEHRINGER MULTIGATE PRO
BEHRINGER MULTICOM PRO
BEHRINGER AUTOCOM PRO

microphones...
AUDIX OM2's (X 7) vocal microphones
SHURE PG drum mic kit (with two PG81 condensors)
SHURE SM57's for instruments , ect...

snake...
PRO CO 24-4 (100 foot snake)

The gear:
I went with the M-PRO stuff because of the name and the price range. I really wanted to go with Yorkville , but since I knew I'd get more work if my speakers said "JBL" on them (man , I hate that mess...) , I had to go that route. And it really has paid off.
As far as the gear goes , I can't get all deep and technical , but I'll say what I think of it all anyway...

- MP415's
I like them , but (sometimes) I really wish I would've gotten the MP412's for top cabs instead. I do a lot of praise & worship type stuff , and I think the MP412's would be better with "airy" type vocals. On the other hand , I wonder if the MP412's would allow me to get the some "beefy" tom sound I can get with the MP415's. Drums are my specialty...
My plan is to get 2 more MP415's , and use those as monitors. I'm wanting to hear the new MRX dual 15" tops. I'm still not sure what I may want for the tops.

- MP418's
If JBL would've made an M-PRO dual 18" model at the time , I still would've bought 4 MP418's. Sometimes I only need two , and getting four of these sigle 18" allow me to load , carry up & down stairs , and get them in and out of my minivan pretty easily. They're light , small , and they do a great job. They may not rumble your guts , but I have had many great comments about the sound of these four boxes (which I run of one QSC RMX 2450!).

- JBL EON15 G2's
Well , what can I say - I don't really like them anymore. For basic monitors they sound just fine , I guess. My gripe is that they can be too much trouble. They're not built as good as the Mackie SRM 450's I used to have. They only have ONE HANDLE on the side!!!!!! They are too delicate (I have seen these with chunks taken/cracked out of them). The controll knobs aren't hidden deep at all (very easy to hit them up or into something).
And really , it just takes longer to run my "MOX" cable around the front of the stage area , run a power cable from the speakers to the "MOX" cable , and then run mic cables from my snake back to the speakers! If you can ALWAYS make time for all of this , then you may not have a problem with these at all!
I think they are great for some applications , but FOR ME , I really want to get two more MP415's and then use four MP415's as monitors...

- Mackie SR24-4
This console is just fine. You see them in clubs , churches , and places where some one is making money using it everyday! I use it heavily , and I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL. I bought this (6 years ago) because I wanted to be able to run 4 seperate monitor mixes and still have two aux sends for effects. Now , if I only had between $1400.00 and $1000.00 to spend on a new console , I would get an Allen & Heath Mix Wiz or a Yamaha MG???? (the 32 channel one with effects). I use the Yamaha console 4 to 5 nights a week at a very popular club , and it's great!

- QSC RMX 2450's
Great price , great reputation , they weigh too much , but you can't go wrong...

- DBX DRIVERACK PA
It's nice to have everything you need in a one rack space unit! For the operator who isn't all big time , it really does what you need and it sounds great. I just wish the owners manual was written by a regular talkin' "newbie" who finally learned the in's and out's of the DRPA , and was then hired by DBX to re-write the whole manual over again though...
I do wish the unit was made to be able to run aux fed subs though. Although you can kind-of "trick it" into this , I still wish it was made for this.

- TC ELECTRONICS M300
I have only gotten to use it once! It was a show where the band was late (and so was sound check - of course) , and I really didn't get to play with it that much. I remember liking the delays a lot but I also remember that I couldn't find a reverb that I liked at all. Maybe if things would've went the way they should've before start time , I could've found something.
Oh , and I hate where the tap delay button is placed! I think they put it in a TERRIBLE spot!

- DBX 1231 & 231 dual 31 band EQ's
I just don't know enough to say all kinds of deep stuff here. All I know is that I haven't had any buzzing or humming and that I had many complements on the monitor sound. Oh , and I really like the longer throw faders/sliders(?) on the 1231...

- BEHRINGER MULTIGATE PRO
I really don't care about the brand name or their business practices. All I know is that in about 4 years of heavy use , I haven't had ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL! And out of the batch of other gates you can get , with all of the controlls of the Multigate , you can't beat it for the money!
I have talked to many sound guys (that make a living doing it) that have ALL said that they really like this gate. They ALL comment on the adjustability of the unit. I wanted to buy a Presonus ACP 88 of of one of these guys , and he told me that the gate section was kind of weak compared to the Behringer Multigate...

- BEHRINGER MULTICOM & AUTOCOM PRO
I really wanted to get 2 DBX???? (their 4 channel gate) , but there was just no way I could (or can ) afford it! For the kind of work I get , these units have done just fine! I have had NO PROBLEMS! They aren't as "smooth" as the DBX 4 channel compressor , but I have never had anyone come up to me and say , "Hey dude , the compression on the vocals doesn't sound like DBX , Rane , or Drawmer! Dude , what in the world is in in your effects rack!?"...

- AUDIX OM2's
I had used Senheiser E835's for about two years , and SM58's for about 4 years before that. One day I was finally going to order some E835's of my own , and the guy at the shop asked if I had tried an OM2. At the time I thought they only made drum mics. So he hooked up an SM58 , an E835 , and an OM2 through a Mackie 1604 VLZ-PRO.
He put a screen in front of the mics (so I couldn't see them). He wheeled the console around to me , so I could set everything on the console flat. Then he turned on a pair of KRK??? monitors , and I picked the OM2 easily over the other two!
The OM2 just sounded clearer and like it had built-in "natural-ness"! I ran sound for the band I played drums in , and they liked the OM2's a lot better than the E835's they had been using for two years...

- SHURE PG series drum mic kit
I was so mad when realized I couldn't afford to get the Audix D series mics I wanted to get for my drum kits. So dang it , I had to settle for some cheap mess - so I thought. I have one PG52 , four PG56's , and two PG81 condensors.
A couple of months ago used these on a corperate gig. The band was a very popular contemporary jazz band with a very destructive sax player. Anyway , I finally got to use these drum mics on a great band that actually played some real music - oh , and the drum kit was actually tuned!
I couldn't have been happier! The toms were punchy and full , and the hi hat and other cymbals were shimmering and all pretty and such. Now , the PG52 doesn't have the top end "snap" that a Beta 52 has , but IT DID NOT SUCK! It was just fine! I used an SM57 on the snare.
The drummer's tech was surprised at what I was using , and asked me to write down the model numbers so he could order some for his smaller club rig that he runs on the side. All I can say is - don't believe the hate , I mean hype...

- SHURE SM57
Well , you know...

So that's about it! I hope this helps someone in some way. And I'd like to thank all those on this forum who have helped me out in any way...

• Members

Modifications to system described much earlier:

Having done several outdoor shows this summer, I found that when driven hard in hot weather, the RMX 1450's would sometimes thermal briefly. Since they are powering my FOH tops, this was NOT acceptable. I have moved those from 4 ohm bridged for the JBL's to 8 ohm bridged for the EAW's type duty. They will support the EAW's used as near fields, or smaller show FOH.

I replaced the RMX 1450's with RMX 1850HD's since they are more reliable for 4 ohm bridged duty. They do increase the FOH tops from 1400 watts per cab to 1800 per cab, but that is still inline with the JBL recommendation for powering them (1200-2400 per the user's manual.)

Shows outside this weekend again and will report back if they fail to deliver the goods, but I find that unlikely having used the same amps for my subs for some time.

• Members

I'm a 27 year old swm Graphic Designer looking to meet someone in the Detroit area. I enjoy italian food, long walks on the beach...

Wait a second here - Ohhhh, Oops! After reading the first paragraph of almost every post in this thread I thought I was on eharmony instead of harmony central. My mistake.

• Members
Originally posted by ArtGuitar
I'm a 27 year old swm Graphic Designer looking to meet someone in the Detroit area. I enjoy italian food, long walks on the beach...

Wait a second here - Ohhhh, Oops! After reading the first paragraph of almost every post in this thread I thought I was on eharmony instead of harmony central. My mistake.

LOL !!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members
Originally posted by Audiopile

1) Editing my original post, and leave the post where it is, or:
2) Delete the first post, and post an updated report, or:
3) Post a new post, and leave the first post alone.
4) Post a new post, then edit original saying rig has changed and see your post from mm/dd/yy for what's there now and why you've changed it.

I think that would be the most useful - so you can see how people's systems evolve.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I am interested in the HT94 horns that you have for sale. I had to laugh out loud after reading your post saying that the HT94's are constantly blowing up! That is why i want to purchase your HT94's. This is going to be the third time that i am replacing the HT94 because it BLEW UP! Please contact me. Thanks.
Daniel

• CMS Author

Okay, thread is stickied. I suggest editing your original post if you've modified your rig. Definitely easier to keep track if it. No problem with some comments as long as we don't go off on tangients in this thread....start a new thread to discuss issues, ask questions etc. and refer (preferably link) back here as needed.

If this seems reasonably agreeable, I'll go back and edit out the unrelated posts to 'clean up'.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danm3607 View Post
I am interested in the HT94 horns that you have for sale. I had to laugh out loud after reading your post saying that the HT94's are constantly blowing up! That is why i want to purchase your HT94's. This is going to be the third time that i am replacing the HT94 because it BLEW UP! Please contact me. Thanks.
Daniel
You have a PM.

• Members

I'm 47yr. old mechanic... Played in cover bands for a couple years. Then weekend DJ for a few after that.

I'm currently doing a open jam/showcase at a small bar. I'm trying to get a band out of the garage.... Helped run sound at a club a couple weeks ago. (hook in mouth)

Mains.. Community CSX35-S2 tops,Klipsh KP 115-X subs

Mixer.. Peavey 701R

Monitors.. Peavey 15/horn x2, peavey 12/horn

Amps.. Crest LA901,LA601

EQ Peavey Q231FX

Mics.. Sennhiser E835's, AT "blue" kick mic

It's a fairly spartan rig.. I've been using the mains for years. There's a hole in the mains that I can EQ to cover. The subs are light enough I can carry them both at the same time.

I have a better mixer sitting at home,but the 701 boasts no open faders to catch booze in smile.gif Plugging mics in on the underside is a bit of a hassle...

The Peavey wedges have been through hell.still kicking.. I lost ground between the in and out jacks, 2" wire and solder has made them bulletproof.

I bought the LA901 14 years ago.It has spent most of it's life with the clip indicators blinking(lightly)... I've snagged a couple on ebay fairly cheap since.. I'm sure there's better lighter units out now.

Just got the Q231FX I'm able to ring the monitors at a higher levels than we actually use. I'm very happy with this unit. Too bad it's discontinued,but they pop up on ebay occasionally..

I've tried a few different mics.. I like the 835's . The Audio Technica kick mic gets the job done

This will probably end up being a practice or "B" rig. I've heard guys do good in small clubs with less.

• Members

I'm a 37 YO Maintenance Supervisor workin nights. I usually DJ but like to play guitar when bands are available. My main system consists of the following:

FOH Mains: 2 Yorkville EF508's
2 Community CX57
2 Community CX35
2 Carvin 832
Subs: 2 Yorkville UCS1's
Monitors 4 Bag End 12" with horn, Not sure of model number but they're old.
Amps 1 QSC RMX2450
2 QSC RMX1850 HD
1 AB Precident 900
2 Peavey PV8.5C
1 Peavey DPC1000
2 Carvin FET1000

Board: Mackie 1604 VLZ
Behringer DJ board

Mic's 4 Audix OM3XB's
2 Shure SM57's
2 Shure SM58's
Audix fusion drum mics

Effects: Digitech Studio 400
Digitech 256 XL
Digitech 256
DOD 231 dual 31 band EQ
DOD 131 single 31 band EQ
Peavey VSX Crossover
Denon Tape and CD player unit
Denon Dual CD/MP3 player
Vocopro Karaoke player

I know it's a pretty eclectic mix of stuff, but I've always bought a little here and a little there and usually got really good deals on the things I've got. When setting up for a dj gig I usually use the 508's and the unity subs with the QSC amps. It is hands down the clearest system in my area and sounds great to my ears. I do mostly weddings and School dances in my area.
I would like to get another pair of 508's. I know they're discontinued, but I love the sound of them. They do get very heavy at 89 lbs each.

• Members

I'll chime in with my band's practice PA, since it doesn't get out to shows much any more (we hire out).

About me, I'm an 18 year old bass player, my band's been together for two years and this PA has pulled us through. I've worked with a number of sound companies, basically just cheap help doing whatever I can to learn as much as I can from as many people as possible (hence me being on these forums). I think at this point I'd rather be behind the console than on stage, but I'm not abandoning my band!

Anyways here goes.

FOH:
- 24 channel Peavey RQ2326 (??) mixer.
- 2 dbx 266xl compressors
- 1 dbx 231 EQ
- 1 Furman M8D power conditioner

Speakers:
- 2 Peavey PV215 tops
- 1 Yorkville LS700p sub
- 1 Peavey PV2600 power amp

Monitors:
- None! frown.gif

Mics:
- 1 Shure PG58
- 2 Shure PG57
- 2 Shure SM57
- 4 Shure PG56
- 1 Shure PG52
- 1 Shure PG81
- 1 Audix D6
- 1 Rode NT1

And that's that! I can't really afford too much at this point, nor is it really needed that I own a huge PA, so this works very well at the moment. Right now it sits at my garage as our practice PA, but does make it out to some small gigs.

The Peavey PV215 speakers are JUST loud enough to keep me from buying new tops. Getting the vocals out on top of our drummer and guitarist (which admittedly aren't very loud) is no sweat. Great clarity and projection once tuned and I'm very happy with these speakers, considering they're peavey's low end models. My only complaint is that although they're light for their size, they are still big and awkward to carry, and take up a lot of space. Aside from that I'm very happy with these.

The Yorkville LS700p sub never ceases to amaze me. I've yet to get this guy to clip, or do anything less than provide awesome low-end power. Even in a medium-sized community hall, it got the low end out there with force to spare, just the one sub! I would like if it had a high-pass filter for the tops, but I'll need a crossover eventually anyways so it's not really an issue. I doubt I'll buy another one, but I'm still considering it.

The Peavey board is meh. Some channels are going on it and other weird stuff, but the poor guy has been tossed around a lot the past two years without a case. I plan on upgrading to an A&H mixwiz. It does what it does, it gives you a lot of mic inputs for not too much money (24 REAL channels) and not a lot of other stuff. Very basic and simple board.

Mics are decent but will eventually get replaced with better ones down the road. Haven't let me down and sound good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 6Imzadi

View Post

My wife has agreed to let me buy new ones as the band keeps complaining about them whenever they get to play on a good monitor system.

This is what I love about being single... I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone!

• Members

Ooky Dokey...I'll play.....
I work in a covers show doing 3-4 gigs a week. Spent years trying to put together a nice punchy "compact rig" and now I'm damn close. We play mainly bars/pubs 200-300 peeps max so this rig suits our needs perfectly.

Desk - A&H Mixwiz3 16:2
FOH Tops - 2 Quest QSA 300 Active powered 12"s
Subs - 2 JBL JRX 100 Active powered 18"s
Monitors - 3 Quest QSA 300 Active powered 12"
EQ's - 2 ART 455 Dual 31
Crossover - Behringer CX2310
Phillips dual CD Recorder
FX - Alesis Midiverb 4

Mics......
4 Shure Beta 58's
4 Shure Beta 57's
4 Behringer mini condensers
1 Shure Beta 52
2 Shure Beta 91's

The whole rig takes me 30 min to set up and about 20 to pull down. It has plenty of clean punch to do any venue that we play in and it all fits in a Mitsubishi L300 van (including stage gear)thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

Currently 52yo retired from the US Navy at 39 and finally got to do the bar band thing. After supplying my own mics and a 4 into 1 Shure submixer, cabling & stands to mic my drums and an SM12IV monitor, I got more into the PA aspect. Mostly to be less dependent on others. After the band broke up I was left with a Behringer MX2442A that I bought by myself for them. Traded that for a Peavey Unity 2002-16RQ with case and a few $. Bought a used Samson S700, original SP2s, a Nady GEQ31 (new!), and an Alesis Microverb 3. Built a 6RU rack and some cables and was ready to rock! Later joined a band with the MX2442A buyer!!!

Currently (band means owned by another but used with my primary band):
Mixers: A&H GL2400-24 (band)
Peavey RQ2314 (personal, small gig)
Behringer UB802 (DJing, recording)
Each mixer is great for it's purpose, ALL highly recommended.

Mains: 2 Yorkville U15B (band)
Subs: 2 Yorkville UCS1 15" subs (band) was LS808B (now for sale)
Monitors: 2 Yorkville E210B (also used as mains for small DJ/band gigs)
2 Yorkville NX20 (used, good sound, low weight)
2 Yamaha SM12IV (speakons added, E210B replaced them)
I am extremely happy with my speaker choices. The E210Bs have less low end than I expected and have to have the LF boosted when used for mains alone, super monitors though.

Mains Amp rack 6RU: Rackrider w/ voltmeter/lights
dbx DRPA
PLX1804 (tops, great power at 13#, 900 per top)
PLX3002 (bridged subs, 1500 watts each)
Custom I/O panel rear
Monitor amp rack6RU: PLX2402
Custom I/O panel rear
Dual 20amp power strips, one front, one back

I went through several unmatched amps, all adaquate(Samson, Carvin, RMX, Mackie). Went ALL PLX because I trust QSC from the RMX experience, increase power, and to make the amp racks a one man lift. VERY happy with that. Having a matching look, controls, and all the same filtering and I/O placement is another fun factor for same series amps.

FOH 6RU rack:
dbx 231EQ mains(used, great value)
dbx231EQ, monitors (also used)
Numark CDN15 CD player
Custom I/O panel rear for EQs (speeds setup)

2nd FOH 6RU rack:
American DJ power unit with voltmeter & lights (used, love the voltmeter)
2 Lexicon MPX200 (FX) (Used, Nice, half the reason is they match and can use a shorty IEC cable)
2 TC Electronics C300 comp/gates (GREAT easy to use comps, used)
1 Behringer 4x compressor (adaquate multicomps cheap)
Hosa TS-TS snake for FX
1 HOSA & 1 EWI insert snake for Comps
FX & comp snakes left connected to speed setup.

Snakes (all XLR, all with stage boxes unless noted):
Whirlwind Medusa 24x6x100 (band)
Whirlwind Medusa 16x4x100
Whirlwind Mini 6 - 6x25
Proco 6x50
Custom 4x30 (built as good or BETTER than the mini-6)
All were bought used, are very sturdy and easy to fix if abused. The 2 bigger snakes required repairs when bought used.

Microphones:
2 Shure Beta 58 (band)
2 Shure SM58, 2 SM57 (band)
1 Shure SM57
1 Shure Beta 56
2 CAD SA1000
3 Behringer XM8500
5 Audix i5 (prefer them to SM57s, bought used and sold off most of my 57s)
3 EWI C61 pencil condensers (best inexpensive condensors around)
1 ATM Pro25 (backup kick mic)
1 Audix D6 (primary kick mic, luv it!)
1 RS Sennheiser 604 copy
1 Behringer ECM8000
1 Crown CM311A
Can't recommend the CM311A highly enough for singing drummers, XM8500 are quite good for a throwaway price great for abusive vocalists (for the Behringer haters, some say buy it for the case and mic clip & throw away the mic ;>), EWI C61s great for the price used as drum overheads, love the D6 on my 20x16 kick, AKG D12E was better on my 22x16 (now sold).

Direct Boxes:
1 Behringer DI-100
1 Behringer DI-20
Adaquate, do NOT set on combo amps, inadaquate sheilding, they get noisy.

Tom Clamp mounts:
3 E604 style tom mounts
5 Shure A56D tom mounts (heavy but super heavy duty)

MOST speaker cables are all 12ga and speakons. Much 4 wire, a few 2 wire. 4 are jumper speakon to 1/4" cables. Several long 12AWG power cables, some quads, some duplex.

I swear by using BLACK 12ga power cables for non distro bar gigs. Speakon with 12ga for speakers, 4 wire great for routing 2 sets of signals per side, cuts down on running & coiling cables.

I have UndercoverNYC padded covers for the E210Bs and LS808Bs. Well worth the $ for keeping the speakers looking nice.

Reviewing my post, I want to note with the following exceptions, the bulk of my personal gear was bought USED. NEW were E210B, SM12IV, dbx DRPA, 6RU racks, speaker covers, UB802, Behringer comp & DIs and a few mics. I did buy AC cable in bulk and made most of my AC cabling. Most all the speaker and snake cables were used. Mic cables were pretty much all new.

Boomerweps

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What a great threadthumb.gif and some nice gear........Presonus ACP88, Ashly Protea 2.4 digital equalizer.
Ok i'll throw my rig in the ring while im here.......................Im 46 been a professional live engineer since 1980, worked with lots of bands and this venue will be my 6th inhouse gig blah blah blah .................currently house engineer for a large rock venue (1600 cap) in Brisbane Australia.
Its a big concrete bunker so i went with a court black box rig that i picked up very cheap, anyhow this is the rig.

FOH Console .............Soundcraft 40 channel Venue II 40 - 8 - 2
Pro's...... i like the english filters in the eq and it has a good gain structure that allows you to keep the desk running at a nice idle, pe amps are a bit soft and a little mushy but for the cost of the desk there allright.

Cons .......loosening connectors and some crossfeeding problems with the vu's.

FOH Electronics

3 x DDA-500 mono 4 way electronic crossovers
1 x Dual 30 band Audient ASP 231 graphic equalizer (DDA)
2 x Ecler 30 band graphic equalizers
1 x Aphex 300 compellor stereo compressor
1 x Aphex dominator II, 720 multiband limiter
1 x Dbx 266 XL stereo compressor
2 x Aphex 108 stereo easy rider compressors
1 x TC 2290 digital delay
2 x Lexicon MPX 550 stereo effects processors (dual engine)
1 x TC M-300 stereo effects processor (dual engine)
1 x Dynacord DRP16 digital reverb
1 x Aphex Aural Exciter C2 w/ Big Bottom
2 x Multigate Pro, 4400 gates (4 gates per unit)
1 x Dolby 334 stereo broadcast type B noise reduction unit
1 x 6 stack cd player
1 x dual xeon 3 gig PC with Smaartlive 5.4 & DBX reference mic

Foldback Electronics

1 x 32 ch Soundtracs FM series......good solid desk, wicked eq, the only thing i find is the board is a little crowded for big fingers

6 x Ecler 30 band graphics
3 x DDA-500 stereo 2 way crossovers
2 x Aphex 108 2 ch easyrider compressors

FOH Cabinets

8 x court black box mid/hi cabinets (2 x 12in JBL E120 & 2 x RCF N850 2in compression drivers, the cabinets are basicly a non vented roy cabinet with two timber horn flairs in a vertical array on the side

8 x Court black box subs (2 x JBL 15in 2225) these boxes are vented W fold sub both the top boxes and the subs measure 1200mm x 1 mtr or around 3' x 3' 8"
It has a nice warm sound and is extremely loud with amazing projection, stacks really nice as well

Infill

2 x EAW fr159z (1 x 15 1 x 1in comp)
2 x Acoustic technologies single 15in S fold subs

Foldback cabinets

8 x JBL 12in 2206 with a 1in compression driver with bumcheek horns
1 x EAW 2 x 15 sub (d/fill)
2 x Peavy Black widow 15 horn cabinets (d/fill)
2 x stanley screamers (s/fill)

FOH Amps

4 x Crest CA 12
6 x Crest CA 9
4 x Crest CA 6

Foldback Amps

5 x Jands 920 (around 550w per side)
4 x jands 200 (200w per side)

Pretty standard mic setup beta 52a, 57's 58's bardl silverflutes (great snare mic)

All in all its a power rig that can blow out candles with the kick drum at 50 pacesbiggrin.gif but it suits the room well and covers any act we bring through.

Axe

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I agree real cool thread. I'm 45, a guitar player and became a soundman by default. I do my old band occasionally, a few punk bands and regularly a really talented '80s metal hair band. Having said that, what I use probably isn't what one would expect:

FOH:
Bag End TA5000s-- I use 2 but have 4 for bigger and outdoor gigs
Bag End S-18 Subs- I use 4

Monitors:
Bag End 12s- I use 4
JBL Eon- I use one for the drummer's separate mix

Amps:
Crest 6001s - 2, one for mains and one for subs
QSC RMX 1850- monitors
Crest 4001- as a back-up for any of the above

Board:
A&H MixWiz 16

Processing:
Bag End Elf- Processor and Crossover
Ashly EQs
Peavey FLS Dual 31 Band- In case someone else is running the rig
Alesis MidiVerb IV
Peavey Feedback Ferret- on the monitors only

Mics:
Shure SM57s and SM58s
Senheiser E609- on guitars

Pretty simple and straightforward rig. It usually sounds good everywhere and needs little EQ. I'm always amazed by how great it sounds anywhere in the room or even outdoors with the extra mains. The wild thing is that all of the cabs are really only rated at 200watts continuous. The Bags are really efficient though so I'm never running the board or the amps anywhere near full tilt. The old Crests are heavy as hell but always sound great and have been (knock on wood!) ultra-reliable.

Nothing fancy- just decent stuff. The metal band I do kind of looked down at it at the first gig because its not a huge rig and doesn't have huge subs. At the end of the night, they loved the nice clear, accurate sound and I've been doing them ever since......

• Members

I'm 54 and only play out once or twice a month now doing the classic rock I love.This won't be anyones "A" system but it works good for me.

Yamaha 5014C mixer:Power set on aux1 and 2 for monitors
QSC RMX 1450 (mains)
QSC RMX 2450 (subs)
DBX223XL crossover
Yamaha Club V Speakers:2 of each
SM12's for monitors
S115's for mains on poles
SW118's for subs

Since we are a 3 piece band the two monitors are good for us.No problem at all hearing them

• Members

I'm 53 and work in the IT industry - have done for about 31 years.....

The main hobby is playing in a couple of covers band based in the Salisbury area of the UK. Very amateur, loads of fun, but doesn't stop me taking an interest in the sound systems that you guys discuss.......way out of our league, as you'll see below. We usually play private parties for up to 200 people, typically more like 100, or in local pubs.

Mics :
Shure SM58 x 2
Sennheiser E845 x 1
Sennheiser E825 x 2
Shure SM57 x 2 for guitar cabs
Shure PG52 for bass drum

Mixer :
Allen and Heath MixWiz 3 16:2
Thanks for advice from all, very happy with this after the learning curve of Behringer mixer followed by Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro

FOH :
2 x Mackie SRM450, bought new 8 years ago, no problems for us, massively adequate for most of what we do

Monitors :
Wharfedale EVP 15PM x 2 powered - seem good to us
Laney Theatre of indeterminate age, 150W powered, works great
Laney something else - again works nicely

Over the years have tried a Mackie SRS1500 sub (we didn't benefit from it, and it weighed a ton), separate effects units, Peavey 31 band EQ, Behringer Feedback Destroyer (creator), snake etc.

For what we do it is fine, although I still dream of a bigger set up (PRX612s over PRX618-XLF, plus wireless mics and IEMs) and maybe one day a digital mixer......

• Members

Might as well start my first post in here. I'm 26, and a revenue agent by day. Play bass in a cover band (country, classic rock, misc) on the weekends. Between myself and our guitar player we keep the PA system up to snuff and hire out somebody to run it for us. We're just beginning to plan on hiring ourselves out for some small stuff during breaks in our own gig schedule. Anyway on to the gear:

FOH

2x Mackie SR1530 3 way powered tops
2x Yorkville LS800P subs

MONITORS
3x Shures PSM200 Wireless In-Ears
2 misc headphone amps for wired in ear mixes
Also available: 2x Mackie 450 powered monitors

FOH Rack
Juice Goose Power Conditioner
Peavey Q215 FLS EQ (house and bass drum insert)
4x Alesis 3630 Compressor/Limiter/Gate
1x Behringer Compressor/Limiter/Gate
1x Alesis Midiverb
1x Ashley Crossover

CONSOLE

Mackie SR24.4

MICS & Misc.
4x Shure SM58
2x Shure SM57
Audix D6
Crown CM700
3x Audix ADX90 (toms)
Senheiser E604 (snare)
Misc. others
Whirlwind DI's
Whirlwind Medusa 24x8 100ft. Snake

Comments:
Since our band is exclusively on in-ear monitors, we have modified the Mackie SR24.4 aux sends 5 & 6 to be pre-fader, so we run 5 monitor mixes and use the sixth for effects. This system allows us to handle small and medium sized rooms, and we hire out larger jobs. We also carry a small lighting system consisting of 4 trees of par 56 cans (300 and 500 watt), DMX packs and light board. Our distro is of our guitar players making (nice having an electrical engineer in the band). The combination or the Mackie tops and Yorkville subs is absolutely outstanding. The relatively small stacks get very loud but the three way tops keep it nice and clean and clear. About the only changes or add-ons for the future consist of a handful more mics and a couple more powered wedges for when we are hired out. Currently we can rent cheap enough that we're in no hurry to buy more.