What I Run, Why I Run It, and What I Think of It

Guest Anonymous

• Members
Background info: My wife and I own a small (but rapidly growing) DJ/sound company. www.ampedproductions.ca. Funny how the part that pays the least has the most cost involved. The DJ'ing easily covers my sound gear gas.

My band is a 5 piece R&R/country band that plays a couple originals surrounded by a ton of covers. www.allbutheroes.com

At first it was a tiny PA that was more suited towards small DJ gigs but has grown.

We don't really have A, or B systems as much as a system that can be scaled to suit our needs"

Mixers:
A&H Mixwiz. Love it. Good for where we are at although at some of our bigger stuff we are using all our channels. Will upgrade in a year or so if our path continues the way its going. This one is used for the band at every gig.

Yorkville M810 powered mixer. 800 watts with 6 mono inputs. Great SOS system with the E12's. Paid for itself in rentals alone. Also how I found my band!

FOH: 16 space roadcase with casters. The mixer sits on top and is FOH station.
Ooutboard gear is just EQ's in the rack. 6 channels of 31 band eq's. Couple behringer and a couple peavey. FOH and monitor mixes here.

AMP rack: I have just moved my amps out of the FOH rack (which is why its so empty) and have a dedicated rack on stage now that we are hiring someone to babysit the board for the band. (I love not worrying about it on stage!!)
We have a Peavey IPR1600 a IPR3000 and a Behringer EP2500 for the subs. 1600's run monitors and and 3000 runs tops. Love the IPR's. Gonna ditch the B when the 4500's come out. Crossover is a DCX2496. No complaints here had been used quite a bit and does its job and more.

Speakers
2X E1004 Yorkvilles Dual 15" top. Precursor to the E215, these sound great. Picked them up for 300 for the pair!!

4X Yorkville E12's. Monitors or mains when a more compact system is needed. Also used by my DJ's. These get the most use.

4X E1220A "B" powered tops. Picked these up dirt cheap and sound ok! No low end to speak of but make excellent backups and come in handy for extra monitors. Gonna be "retired" to DJ duty within a month or 2

2X Yorkville LS1004. Dual 18" subs. These thing sound awesome. Had a wharfedale that I sold and picked up these 2. Don't regret that in the slightest.

Yorkville 16/4 100' snake. Neutrik connectors.

Mics and Misc
Line 6 wireless mic. Sounds great. Has never dropped out and the singer wil go out in the crowd and get them to sing and no feedback! Various other mics, shures 57's 58's betas etc.

1996 GMC safari van. All seats removed, makes a decent hauler of gear. Outgrown (kinda)

Lights
2 Lumi LED PARBAR KITS clones of Chauvets 4bar
8 Chinese LED PAR64 cans. Use on truss or as uplighting for weddings.

Immediate Future Plans.

Trailer: To Keep the Big speakers and subs and racks in:

2-4 Proel Flash SA subs. Noone in our parts uses subs for Dj'ing. The biggest DJ company around here uses 15" JBL Eons on sticks. My plan is to use the Behringers over the Proels, and save up for a little better powered speakers. But really these would be a Really good wedding Dj setup here.

More cables. Right now it seems I am always sorting cables and trying to put together a small rig with all the same cables. I would like to be able to keep the Dj systems seperate of the Band systems with minimal work in between. Will require many more extension cords...lol

Once I get to the point where I have a decent band rig and 2 DJ rigs that are all seperate from each other then I will work on upgrading the lower end stuff. Once thats done I will look at bigger FOH mixer (Digital maybe? That Behringer X32 looks interesting haha) more FOH speakers and a dedicated monitor world.

Whew. Glad my wife is ok with all this!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm 40, work in a printing company in Indiana.

MIXER: Allen Heath Mix Wiz
Pros: Everything
Cons: I like the delay effects much better on my Yamaha 16/6FX board..

SPEAKERS: JBL PRX615 for tops and Yorkville LS808B for subs
Pros: Nice and portable, sounds pretty good to boot.
Cons: None so far.

Monitors: All Shure PSM200 units

AMPS: Behringer EP2500
Pros: Solid performance so far
Cons: Heavy, am looking to upgrade to a XTI4000 or similar

PROCESSING: Crossover, EQ

EFFECTS: Allen Heath MixWiz

MICS: All Shure 58's and 57's

CABLES: Mostly EWI

Lights: All LED, Colorstrips, Pucks, Par 38 TRIS, PAR 38-18

Light weight, Fairly cheap, realible and gets the job done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My Updated Rig

I am a solo performer - keys, guitar, vocals, some songs have canned backing tracks.

I play small gigs, usually anywhere from 10 to 70 people. When I built my PA, I wanted something that was small and could fit in my trunk, didn't weight much because my back sucks, and sounded good. I ended up with my current system:

Mixer/Amp: Yamaha EMX312sc
Main Speakers: EV ZX1-90 (2)
Subs: EV SB122 (2)
Mic: EV ND767a

This system is 600 watts total (300 wpc in stereo) and easily fits into my trunk. It sounds pretty darned good - way more low end than the usual solo performer PA's I hear, including the Bose-based systems. The system can project fairly well outside, but has its limits. I also own a Mackie rackable power amp (can't remember the model) that does 200 wpc into 8 ohms or 300 wpc into 4, and I have a pair of Peavey PR12's - in a pinch I can use that setup for monitoring, or the Mackie can drive the subs and the Yamaha can drive the mains.

If I get to the point where I need to do more larger outdoor/indoor shows, I'm considering a pair of powered EV mains like the SXA100+, and a powered 15 or 18 sub (not sure what I'd buy.) My current PA system could be used as the monitor system. I also have a Yamaha 12 ch board.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok

Board - Mackie Onyx 32 X 4

Rack -
2 X ART HQ231 dual 31 band eqs
http://www.artproaudio.com/products....82&cat=5&id=46
Alesis Midiverb 4
Digitech delay
ART stereo two way X over
Furman power conditioner

Power - 4 X Yorkville Sound AP4020, 2 X Yorkville Sound AP2020

Mains - 4 X Yorkville Sound TL3215 (each cab is 2 X 15, 1 inch horn, 2 X piezo)
Subs 4 X Yorkville Elite LS800P (powered 18 inch w 1500 watts onboard)

Wedges - 6 X Yorkville Sound NX35

Mics, mostly SM 58s and 57s, some Apex
Snake is 32 X 8 X 100'

It's punchy, flexible and fits in a 14' trailer.

Reliability so far has been fantastic. Plus, Yorkville's warranty is excellent.

I also run an LED lighting rig, smoke, pyro, et cetera.

f7000185.jpg

Mackie32X4.jpg

tl3215.jpg

sm_ls800p.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A year ago, I started offering up a small-format live sound service to the Austin, TX music scene. I started out being thrown in the fire as the FOHE for a touring band. After 2 years I went on to work for 2 years in a club as the FOHE. Then, I moved to Austin and started my biz. So, I learned it all while on the road and haven't had any formal production education. The rig described below is extensive but I'm posting it here because I know that in the grand scheme of things I'm still quite a bit new to Live Sound Production. I'm always questioning my gear and the efficiency of the system. Please chime in and let me know how I can improve it or point out the weak links. Mics, D.I,s lights etc...are all left out. My concerns lie with processing, mixer, speaker configurations & system coverage. We have a smaller system plus we can adjust the size of the one below for smaller applications. Listed here is my full rig.

FOH RACK #1
Soundcraft GB2R 16ch console - Mono System
(2) T.C. Electronics M300 FX
(2) DBX Compressors - 1046 & (2) 1066
(3) Ashly GQX EQ's 1x31 mains, (2) 2x15's for 4 mon mixes

AMP RACK
Ashly XR1001 Crossover
QSC Power Light Tour Amps
(5) PL236
(3) PL218
(1) PL325

SPEAKERS
(4) EAW JF260e Mains
(8) EAW SB150r Subs
(6) EAW SM122e Floor Monitors
(1) EAW Drum Fill: VB125 sub + FR122Hr top
(1) Community Full range TD2212 Drum Fill (alternative to above monitor package)

CABLES
Coleman & Canare Speaker Cable 10/12 AWG
Whirlwind Medusa Snakes
Mogami & Canare Mic lines
(2) Stage-Stringers: 20' lead w/4 quad drops on each stringer
Heavy Duty 10AWG AC lines.
All connections in the system are linked with Mogami & Canare cable.

I feel the amps and speakers are the strong points but I question the ability of the SB150 subs to do what others are doing with 18" subs. I do like these though and having 8 of them properly powered really goes a long way. We're handling crowds no bigger than 500 but I'm curious if we can do any bigger and if our soundcraft GB2R is as good as the Allen & Heath Mix Wiz. I love the GB2R accept for the PFL buttons sit in the middle of the fader track and you can't engage them easily or quickly while the faders are up. Also, the fact that we use a mono system concerns me? How important is it to run or not run stereo?
The JF260's are wonderful and when we run 2 arrayed per side we get super coverage for larger crowds like 3-500. The subs are punchy and warm but don't move a lot of air compared to 18's. I think if we get outdoors with these bigger crowds we're gonna find ourselves wanting more...maybe we won't, I'm not sure but we haven't had the chance yet to test that application to such an extent. I'm curious about what kind of crowd sizes we can cover with this rig, is the A&H Mix Wiz the better mixer and should we run stereo with a rig this size? I thought it was only important in venues with a wide coverage area.

Peace smile.gif

• Members

I'm the music director and tech at a church. I came into a less than ideal rig, and I've been improving it slowly.

Console: Slowly dying A&L GL3300 24 channel/8 aux rolleyes.gif I'm sick to death of this console!

DSP: Ashly Protea 4x8

AMPs: Crown 602 (highs) Crown XTI 4000 (mids) Crown XTI 4000 in bridge mono (subs)

FOH: 2x JBL VRX932, 1x JBL SRV718s perside

MONS: 3x Proel wedges powered by QSC USA900, 4x wireless IEM, 1x wired IEM (drums)

OUTBOARD: dbx 1066x2, Lexicon MX200, DBX stereo 31 band graphic (FOH) DOD 15 band graphic (MONS)

MICS&DI'S DOD passive DI x6, Shure SM58b x4, Shure SM57 x4, AKG D12, Shure SM81x3, Sennheiser G2 Wireless x4, Shure SLX with Microphone Madness headset x1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Rig:

49da7c8c.jpg

FOH:
2 - Yorkville Unity15's
2 - Yorkville LS800p's

Monitors:
4 - Yorkville YX12's
1 - Misc unknown monitor (lol)

StudioLive 24.4.2
EWI 100' 24x8 snake
Mac mini
iPad
Router

ccbfb51d.jpg

Router & Mac mini are mounted in that light controller case

0db175b3.jpg

Mixing with the iPad:
2d6e916b.jpg
63f7acbe.jpg

Amps:

1 - IPR 3000
3 - IPR1600's

871935a3.jpg

Mics:
4 -SM58's
3 -SM57's
3 - PVM480's

Drum mics:
Senheiser
5 - e604's
2 - e614's
1 - e602 II

Various mic stands, all mic cables have neutrik ends, speakon cabling for all speakers. *And it all fits nicely in my garage!!

imagegje.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger View Post
so... what do you think of it?
I really like it!! I actually posted in this thread, five years ago. This was my original post...

The wife is long gone, and not too long after, I upgraded, and bought the 4 YX12's, power amp & snake. I always loved how ballsy the system was and is. The triggers worked pretty good for quite awhile, but I found more and more that people preferred mics, and if you had a bunches different drummers and styles, they would get the odd ghost note etc etc. So the mic setup was the next upgrade, hmmm 2 years ago. I heard a lot about the Audix kit, but when it was time, the Audix kit wasnt going to be in until after I was gone, and I NEEDED the mics right the.

No regrets, I love how they sound. Picked up an extra e604 and e602 II to round out the kit. Next, I found my Powermax16, with 12 XLR inputs to be limiting more and more. So I started looking at new mixers. LS9: too much, 01v96 too old (no offense) and didn't want to fiddle around with extra inputs etc. The Presonus seemed really interesting, and I decided I wanted the 24.4.2

So, that meant I would need a few things along with the board:

FOH power amp
Monitors power amps
New snake
Computer

So last oct or Nov I slowly started acquiring the different pieces. I got a power amp here, another jone there, all at the right price, used. Took a bit of doing, then I bought the snake & computer. Finally it was time to drop the hammer on the new board. The place I bought it from, gave me $1200 for my board on trade, and I ended up selling my old snake, and rack gear along the way. Upgraded to ATA cases all around as well.

Everything was awesome, loved recording shows, etc etc. But damn that FOH ATA case was heavy. I heard about the IPR's and decided that was my next upgrade.

Then

A couple shows with my band, showed me how handy an iPad would be, so that became the next upgrade, along with a kick ass Linksys router. After that, it was time to upgrade to IPR's. So I bought the one IPR3000 off Rezrover, and picked up a couple 1600's new, I needed one more, but it could wait. Have a bit of an issue with the 3000, but I should be able to get it fixed under warranty. No biggie. I'm picking up another 3000 and 1600 on the 28th, then I'll be all set up. When the 3000 I'm going to send out gets back, it will be a backup...

I LOVE the individual monitor mixes, I love recording, and being able to mix from the iPad. I get nothing but rave reviews, - I should be in the city, I've been asked to tour a couple times, been told my FOH and stage sound are some of the best they've ever heard, and these are bands that play all across the country.

So it's great to get the compliments. I've been to some different venues in the big city. Sound varies from a mic for the singer, and SOS to full racks and stacks. So it's nice to see how I compare in the big picture. I think being in a gigging band, I knew I would need Enough Rig for the Gig. I'm also a buy once, cry once kinda guy. That's why my initial setup lasted me from 03 until 2010! I love kick drum, but it's not The Kicl Drum Show either.

I run sound appropriate for the rooms I do. There's no need to kill everyone in the room. The waitresses are good judges of levels. If clients are yelling in their ear, and they can't hear them, it's too loud. They know it's gong to be loud, it's a live band for Pete's sakes, but it's not going to be STUPID loud. I always let them know, to NEVER be afraid, or hesitate to tell me it's creeping up too loud. I totally have no problem bringing the mains down if they feel that way. That being said, I think I can think of one time in recent memory when they did that. Usually, everything is fine. The bands are happy with their own monitor mixes, everything sounds great out front, and we all have a great time!!!

Do it right, do it once.

wink.gif

Here's that old post. I was robare99, haha banned, LONG story,

Quote Originally Posted by robare99 View Post
Age 36: Occupation Tradesman. Hobby: You've heard of Soccor moms, I guess I'm a Rocker Dad.

Played bars etc back in the 80's with a pretty decent sound/light rig. My two sons got bit by the music bug and ended up in bands. There was a pretty good local punk/rock scene in town for the past 12 years or so, with various bands providing the backline and putting on shows. Most of those bands were gone, and since my kids band was practicing at our place (he's the drummer) and singing through an old peavey amp of mine, my wife and I decided that maybe it was time for us to pick up the ball and continue the fine tradition of putting on local punk shows.

Punk shows consist of 5 bands, 2 - 3 local with the other 2 - 3 being from out of town. Good for the kids as they get to see a lot of out of town bands they wouldn't normally get to see. Great for the local bands as it gets them out of the basements and garages and lets them play "real" shows in front of "real" crowds. 80 - 150 kids at the shows, so I know we needed some thump to make it all sound good. Had 16 lights and a controller left over from my gigging days. Our band fell apart when the drummer who owned the PA moved, along with the bass player.

ANYWAY, the gear.

FOH

2 - Yorkville Unity U15s
2 - Yorkville LS800P subs

Monitors: borrow 4 monitors & an 800Watt power amp from a bud. Not sure what they are but they work well and will probably purchase from said friend in the future

Board:
Yorkville Powermax 16
2 - 800W built in amps for the mains
2 - 275W built in amps for the monitors

Snake:
100' Yorkville snake with powered speaker returns

Rack Gear:
Drum setup:
6 - ddrum Pro Acoustic Triggers
Alesis DM5 Drum module into an
EWI 4 channel Direct box (which then run into the snake)

2 - PEAVEY PV Q431F EQ with Feedback locating system for FOH
1 - Peavey Q215FLS Dual band eq with Feedback locating system for monitors
1 Peavey Q215 that I use on inserts for the guitars if I need to tweak a bothersome frequency (this one guitar player has this one freq that just BOOMS when he plays clean. Has always done it so I know to drop that one freq and he's good for the show.
1 rocktron compressor
1 Alesis Quadraverb
1 DI for bass

Mics
4 - SM58
3 - PVM 480 condensors for cymbals
2 - sm57's for guitars

Boat Anchors:
Behringer De-Noiser - lots of pretty lights, doesn't seem to do anything.
BBE Aural Exciter - a few pretty lights, doesn't do enough to use.
Both sit in the basement as paperweights. Sometimes u just don't know why you need something, or you don't know that you DON'T need something.

Nice ballsy system. More than enough for what we do. I'd rather have the headroom and not need it then have everything clipping and still need more. Always get positive compliments from the out of town bands about the production and the sound quality. One said the setup was better than half the bars in the big city so that was cool. It's good and loud though we don't totally blow our brains out. Lots of thump which always brings a smile to my face.

You probably won't get "screamo" but I don't think we're supposed to get it. My parent's didnt get Motley Crue and Iron Maiden, and their parents never got The Beatles or Elvis. But they were always there to support me so its nice to be in a position to support my kids. Also as we were growing up and in the young bands, there was always the old guard around, willing to help out if we needed a power amp or a monitor or two. Again, it's nice to become part of the old guard helping out the young whippersnappers.

Here's the boys in action with my setup....
http://indyinghands.com/videos/m0405/m04twilight.wmv

And them again playing in another city with a typical setup for the same type of show. Not as many people but they were playing rather late. I think there were like 10 bands which was way too many, lol the audience basically got burned out with all the moshing but it was cool that some people stayed behind.
http://indyinghands.com/videos/sep1705/sep17perfect.wmv

We looked at a few smaller systems, but from being in bands, I knew how loud it had to be for gigs. The other 3 systems wouldn't do it, and we thought if we bought a lesser system and it wasn't enough, we would probably get only half or less back from what we paid and would have to get a bigger setup anyway. So we bit the bullet and thought if we are going to do this, might as well do it right. Happy with the sound, the ease of setup, the quality of the gear, (really liked the 2 year "even if you break it" warrenty) And geez, I even ended up putting a bar band back together, so we'll use the setup for that as well.

Oh yeah, and a Tascam Digital Portastudio 2488 to record the works.

• Members

About me;

I'm a 30yr old Afghan veteran with a back ground in music production. The army thing was an early mid life crisis I suppose. I've played in several bands, toured the bar and college scene in Canada. Many kitchen parties out east, fundraisers, jams, ect.... Played in arenas right down to tight living quarters. The world of Live sound production is a fairly new venture for me. I was educated in recording engineering tech. and sound engineering. The rules of live sound are much different. It's been an interesting learning adventure. Presently I'm rockin;

Mixers:
A&H R16 - Simply amazing.
Samson TRX-16 - Surprisingly good. Some bleeding, on board eq not so good,
Soundcraft MPMi 20 - Very nice. Needs more LED's.

Yorkie 6040's and 4040's for power - AWESOME. Very quiet (noise), very powerful (Sound)
Behringer 1220 powered mons - They are great for what they are. Surprising performance from a company I wouldn't have bought from 5 years ago.
Behringer eurolive something or other "FOH" (for really small venues) - Meh.....
Nady EO3's - Good for what they are, cheap. Get the job done.
Turbosound custom FOH's. Bi-amped, screamin tweets, 2 15's. - Simply put, the best FOH I have ever used. A lucky score. Custom built Cabs someone had ordered in, and never picked up. Shop thought it better to knock off a few $$ rather than dump $500 in shipping to return the cabs. I picked them up with a yorkie 6040 used, (once, and by me) for $1500.
Art 31 bnd eq - Not a accurate as my old URIEs, but they certainly get the job done. One chan is FOH, Chan two is usually kick drum shaping.
dbx 160 compressor - Speaks for itself.
dbx 266 comp. gate - Lovely little guy. The gate has been a life saver many times when working on crappy kick drums.
samsom scom comp - Meh, good for what it is. Has a built in gate, horrible. makes a very noticable pop.
behringer fbq15 EQ - I bought this for $20, so that's the only reason it ever entered my live rig, but with the FBQ (the feedback detection system) I've actually found it infinitely useful in ringing. I use it in line with the art when I'm setting up. All the build up freqs light up on the FBQ, I take them down on the ART. Not an exact science but it has sped things up. After that, I use once chan for the MONS, sec. chan for mons or vocals/guitar ect...
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus - Awesome. Makes a good singer great.
TC-Helicon Voicesomething or other pedal - Soundguy in a box. For $200, what a great little guy to have. I keep the "pitch correction" on this turned off all the time. The auto adjusting EQ, compression, warmth, are fantastic, especially for thin voices.
Shure sm57's, 58's, 52's, PG48's, a C606 The SM speak for themselves. The PG48s are just fine. The C606 is cheap, but for small venues, you can never tell the difference.

AKG Perception 220's - Guitar cab micing. VERY nice sound. A tad bright, but that works well when micing a amp.
AKG Perception 200's - Drum overheads. Great sound, but a little airy.

CAD 2400 - Good for what it is. I use this as a backup for guitar or for a setup for amatures.
ART tube preamps - Nice tube warmth. When I can, I use these vs. the phantom power on any of the boards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I assumed that my setup is so minimal that it does not belong on this thread, but I see that there are others on it whose setups are no bigger than mine. So here goes...

What I run

PA System
Yamaha EMX512SC powered mixer
EV SX100+ Mains (2)
EV ZX1-90 Monitor

Mics
EV N/D767 (2)
AT Pro 37

Why I run it
I play in an acoustic blues duo. We both sing, and I play acoustic and resonator guitars. I also have a percussion foot pedal. Most of our gigs are at really small venues such as libraries and coffee shops (sometimes only use one EV SX100+), but we also play some farmer's markets, outdoor house parties, etc. I have occasionally used my sound system for other events where I was asked to provide sound, but I put the system together for my duo.

What I think of it
I think it sounds great, is compact, light, can produce plenty of volume, and disperses sound adequately at all of the venues we play where we provide sound reinforcement.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Currently

Mains--BagEnd Crystal-R's (4)
Subs--BagEnd D-18's (4)
Monitors--Six homemade wedges with Celestion Truvox 12"'s and Selenium D202ti hfd's (very happy with them)
Console--A/H GL2800/32
Processing/FX--BSS DPR 504's--2
DBX 266xl--4
Yamaha REV500
Ashly xr1001
DBX 1231
Peavey q231fx--5

Mics
Senn 835--6
Senn 935--2
Senn 431--2
Senn 421--4
Senn 604--3
Heil pr35--2
Shure beta58--1
Shure beta98--7
Shure beta52--2
Shure SM81--3
Shure SM57--6
Electrovoice N/D967--3
AT 3035--1
AT pro35--4
MXL 603--4
Crown CM311-1
Countryman choir mic--1

Amps
Peavey IPR1600--4
Peavey IPR3000--3
QSC PLX3602--2

Overall I'm quite happy with my system. The BagEnds weigh a ton so setting them up is no fun. I have a few other sets of speakers I didn't list that I use for outdoor/dusty gigs, but the BE's are my best set. Can't say I'm unhappy with any of it. Wish I had some MRX-level monitors but my shop-built cabinets sound very, very good. I've had several compliments on them from performers who've heard good monitors. They look professional and can be bi-amped. Moved to the Peavey IPR and QSC PLX amps after I got tired of the QSC RMX boat anchors. Good amps but man what a load!!!!!
Have a few toys I'd like to add but I don't expect the core of this rig to ever change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Practice room PA for a loud rock/metal band. Large open room in a warehouse.

2x Mackie SRM450s (1st gen)
1x Spirit Folio SX 20

SM58 vocal mic for main singer which runs through a TC Helicon VoiceLive unit.
3x Red5 RVD30s for backing vocals.

Speakers are excellent.
Mixing desk is good but not quite what we need, so swapping for a Mackie DFX-6:
Smaller/more portable
XLR outs instead of 1/4"
Built in reverb
Built in EQ
Still has sliders

Speakers sit at half volume and desk sits at unity. We can hear each other fine.

• Members

Thread Update:

(Will post pics of our speakers at a later date when we have a good space to take photos)

Last night - re-arranged our rack... (yes yes, the oft-questioned SKB Gig Rig... it's treated us well... can't say I 'love' it... but it certainly hasn't ever failed us.)

Top-Slant:
Eliminator DMX DJ - Lighting Controller
Allen & Heath MixWiz3

Rack
(top to bottom)
Driverack PX - on Vocal Monitor Sends
Driverack 260 - on PA
Presonus ACP88 - Compression for Drums, Keyboards and Background Vox
DBX 166xs - Used only as Gate for Lead Vox
Summit Audio TLA50's - Used as Compressors on Lead Vox
Sennheiser ew365G3's - Wireless Lead Vox Mics
Furman P2400AR - Voltage Regulator / Conditioner
QSC PLX3602 - Used only on large shows for our QSC GP218 sub.

(not pictured)
Sennheiser G3 IEM unit.

2012-rack.jpg

• Members

And new toys...

(2) 2.0M Global Truss with Base Plates and 1.0M Hang Bars -- going to hang a Par Can and Laser on each side..... mounting a moving head on top of each totem.
and
RoadReady Intellistage 6x9 drum riser... -- I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality of this and with how compact and portable it is.

2012-truss-stage.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's an Intellistage from RoadReady. SUPER SUPER easy to setup and tear-down.... like 10-15 minutes easy. All the sections lock together and make it very sturdy. This is a 6x9'... I chose to use their 3x3 sections, but they also have 4x4 sections if you'd prefer.

Even better - it all fits in ONE road case. Contact your dealer for pricing, but for my setup, you should be looking around ~$1750.
http://www.intellistage.com/

I looked into a bunch of options, but this was by far, the easiest setup and most pro-looking riser out there.

My setup is
Qty 2 - ISP3X3CD (2-pack of 3'x3' square sections) so 4 total square sections
Qty 2 - ISQRPC3 (single rounded 3' section) so 2 total rounded sections
Qty 4 - IS3X3X16 (16" platform riser for square sections)
Qty 2 - ISQR3X16 (16" platform riser for rounded sections)
Qty 1 - ISC6X3X3C (storage case for 6 sections and platform risers)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Who I Am
I'm a 19 year old sound guy/DJ from the lowly state of KY. I first got into audio around 12-13 doing dances at my school with their setup (Peavey powered head & 2 SP2G's). Got my first set up the year after that (Yamaha speakers & a cheap amp), since then I've had a variety of speakers from Kustom, Peavey, Yamaha, my largest setup was 2 PV215's over 2 SP218's on 3 EP2500's, it was great but not portable at all. Board the whole time went from a Behringer 802 to a Mackie 1604 for most of it.

What I Run Now
- EV LiveX Speakers: 4x ELX112P's foldback, 2x ELX115P's tops, 2x ELX118P's subs
Speaker Buys coming soon: 2x each speaker, total of 6 112P's 4 115P's & 4 118P's
- Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2 Mixer & Seismic Audio 24x8 x 100ft snake
- Shure/EV mics (5 Co7's, 2 SM58's, 3 SM57's (was 4...) + CAD Pro-7 mic kit, also have an older model SM58 wireless microphone
Planned Mic buys: 2 e602's, 3 e835's, 2+ SM57's, e609's, couple decent overheads
- 4 Chauvet Colorsplash Mini lightbars (got them in a DJ system package)
Planned lighting buys: 8-16 of each, PAR64 & PAR38 RGB's, + PAR39 WW LED cans, LED moving heads/FX lights

Why I Run It
I've had an interest in audio engineering since I was asked to run sound for a couple bands at a pep rally at school. Since then I've slowly worked my way up to where I am right now, and don't plan on slowing down. I recently finished a course at a local recording school which gained me some more knowledge on audio in general. Shortly after I came back, I was asked to run sound for three bands at a local Relay For Life festival, and what I was running just wouldn't cut it that great, so I bit the bullet and bought the Studiolive and more mics. I still have a ways to go, but it's going good so far.

What I Think Of It
For the price, I have never heard of a better set of speakers. The LiveX blew my expectations away for a clean sounding loudspeaker system, and I've had nothing but compliments on it's quality, and found it was plently loud at half power for most stuff I will do for the time being. The Studiolive helps with everything, giving me an easy setup time. All I have to do is mic up, set gains, throw a few presets in, tweak them as I go, and the bands are playing in under 10 minutes from mic-up. Not only that, I don't have a rack full of gear anymore, it has all my light switch panels (that I will probably never use) as well as my wireless mic & my "hard" dual 31-band EQ for quick adjustments. That too will be replaced soon with a DBX processor. I plan on going bigger in a year or so, as I've been asked about larger shows. (The city hosts a festival/car show once a month on the first Friday of the month and one of the guys that plays there has asked me about some shows) so hopes are to go with a QRx rig soon, for larger stuff, although I'm pretty confident my ELX's can handle most smaller stuff.

Excuse the pictures, they were taken with an iPhone, and there was no set stage for these events, so it was kind of a mess.
552983_10151753707590512_2082283889_n.jp
550867_10151753707790512_748686821_n.jpg
539896_10151753710225512_1753963294_n.jp
577578_10151753738265512_938895330_n.jpg
283663_10151802205915512_75770705_n.jpg

The 15's had extensive chipping (one of my wonderful "friends" dropped the moving them around the bar I was working at) so I took some flat black spraypaint and touched them up, hence the slight discoloration on parts of the speakers.

181390_10151838622625512_1210577584_n.jp

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by dcastar View Post
Not a bad rig in the slightest, for a 19 year old! You're likely making some of the other guys here jealous. smile.gif

How long have you been using the Seismic snake? I've heard horror stories....
Lol, thanks. It's been an effort, but it gets the job done. And as for the snake, been using it for a few months now, and it's really nice. The XLR connections aren't too fancy and they get the job done: not a single dead channel yet. The returns can be a bit finicky and I've had to rotate the plug occasionally, and I would hope to god it's not the board, lol. I did an outdoor festival a couple weekends ago with 14 bands in 14 hours on two stages (my stuff being the 2nd stage) and the only issue I had was a sub in the tiniest sliver of sunlight through the trees, directly on the amp panel...overheated for a minute, but it didn't take long to cool down once I covered it. I have two more gigs coming up, a single-band on a "party boat" type venue, and two bands at the local restaurant (which is becoming a nice small music venue)

Few more pictures and videos of the setup at that gig.

395992_10151944238925512_70319482_n.jpg
389066_10151944239125512_1799171338_n.jp
602542_10151944239660512_1503428144_n.jp
376874_10151944240090512_154879167_n.jpg
541409_10151944240505512_1134406029_n.jp
561301_10151944240620512_2134015515_n.jp
208955_10151944240835512_380375305_n.jpg
539693_10151944241015512_936201987_n.jpg
^^ The headlights in that picture were the Mason Co. Sheriff, just checking up on things. lol.

It was a free backwoods festival, just something to do in a little town in WV. I had a blast doing it, the only issues I really had were the snare (which I know why now...) and lots of cymbal bleed, which is why in the videos it may sound like they're awfully loud. Of course, the stage was a 14x12' stage with a 2' extension on front, and the small size of those 12's got the job done nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAGNt9zNGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcsdK8OKv4c
These next two are the host's band, great guy and a great group of people (mostly family)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z43CsvOXCC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEyoCGpaaKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimahkpPGBk

The PAR lights were borrowed from a friend, and the other guy that was helping me ran them. 8 cheap PAR56's and the guy who threw this shindig had a Chauvet 4Bar. It worked, that's all I care about, and it was all on a single 20A circuit. Next year, I'm hoping to have the QSC KW series for the main stage, and the EV's for the second stage. They had older CV stacks with Peavey 15's for wider coverage, Mackie floor monitors, and a Mixwiz 16, but not alot as far as compression, gating, etc. so there were alot of feedback problems. Can't hurt to dream though. Lol.