Some guitar related:UPS shipping issues?

Skycries57

• Members

just had a person receive my guitar today which was packed fully of 2" rigid foam and guitar in original case with virtually zero movement it its original guitar case, guitar happened to be a Gibson SG Standard.

I did have 900.00 insurance on the guitar.

Few questions:

- Will UPS accept "hidden damage?"

- The insurance was for 900.00, but a question was asked the value of the guitar, which was 1400.00 "to replace it".

- If the claim is accepted, will I get the broken guitar back and how does the buyer get his money back? I'm assuming UPS will cut me a check for: how much, 900.00 or 1400.00?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm kinda stressing out, afraid of a negative feedback,UPS denying my claim and being out 900.00!

Ok, I'll stop crying now! :facepalm::cry:

Thanks for your opinions! I'll would appreciate your UPS horror stories as well:eek:

• Members

The original shipper gets the check, if its decided to be valid it will be for the amount insured for, often they will pay a partial claim, I have shipped many guitars with them with no problem but things can always happen, especially with SG necks- Did you have them pack it- if so you should be protected with the pack and ship guarantee.- Good luck- they don't like to give up money too easily.

• Members

It varies from place to pace how your packages are handled and which crew handles them. I have heard more complaints about FedEx than any other, but the fewest about the USPS. What's Ironic about that is USPS priority is contracted through FedEx! Even those semis you see on the highway with US MAIL on them are contracted and owned by FedEx. IMO no shipper is any better or worse than the other, it's all up to the quality of employees they have. I (knock on wood) have never had anything damaged in shipping other than a switch tip. I have however had UPS lose a non-guitar related package and had no issues with the claim, but they only will pay up to the insured amount unless the replacement value is less. Generally you are required to refund the buyers money and cross your fingers the claim is approved. I have also heard they are more likely to approve a claim if the guitar was also shipped in the original packaging.

HTH,

R-

• Members

It varies from place to pace how your packages are handled and which crew handles them. I have heard more complaints about FedEx than any other, but the fewest about the USPS. What's Ironic about that is USPS priority is contracted through FedEx! Even those semis you see on the highway with US MAIL on them are contracted and owned by FedEx. IMO no shipper is any better or worse than the other, it's all up to the quality of employees they have. I (knock on wood) have never had anything damaged in shipping other than a switch tip. I have however had UPS lose a non-guitar related package and had no issues with the claim, but they only will pay up to the insured amount unless the replacement value is less. Generally you are required to refund the buyers money and cross your fingers the claim is approved. I have also heard they are more likely to approve a claim if the guitar was also shipped in the original packaging.

HTH,

R-

all packages sent USPS are now air mail they stopped ground for packages so everything is 2 day now (unless you want to pay 3x for next day)

• Members

I once had to file a claim with UPS, it was the biggest pain in the ass to ever become of me. In the end through confusing paperwork the other guy and I agreed to just give up, didn't help that it was also international.. So I guess your problems could be resolved easier.

• Members

I had to file a claim over a destroyed in shipping Bogner. Took about 3 months to resolve, and it was a PAIN (with UPS). Had to supply pics of the amp from the auction 3 times. I sent it from a UPS Substation, and they did everything they possibly could. I finally got the money back from UPS, in full - had a lot of issues with the buyer (filed a Paypal claim against me, even though I was jumping the hoops to do everything I could to get the claim resolved). They kept the remains of the amp. I don't prefer to use UPS any longer, and if someone asks me to ship with them, I let them know anything that happens is out of my hands. Sorry to hear you're going through it.

• Members

I am still waiting on a guitar that was sent USPS. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was sent to me. USPS DOES use ground and not only air. When you send anything by USPS make sure you use 3 or 5 day. If you send it standard a guitar could take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. This has happened to me sooooo many times using ebay. You get what you pay for.

• Members

That really sucks man! Good Luck and hopefully you will have better luck than me.

I really don't want to get started with UPS. UPS drivers lie about "delievery attempts", they damage packages, and will do anything they want with their team of lawyers.

I am just a little man so I could do nothing but turn them into the local tv stations and the BBB the last time they screwed me over. :cop: Thieves!!!

• Members

I am still waiting on a guitar that was sent USPS. It has been almost 2 weeks since it was sent to me. USPS
DOES
use ground and not only air. When you send anything by USPS make sure you use 3 or 5 day. If you send it standard a guitar could take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. This has happened to me sooooo many times using ebay. You get what you pay for.

thats weird the PO here only offers 2 day and overnight for packages they stoped offering the slower methods about a month ago

• Members

Does UPS require that they pack insured items or does it just facilitate reimbursement?

It just facilitates reimbursement- they have a pack and ship guarantee- if they pack it and ship it it is covered-my UPS store here does a kick ass job of packing-

• Members

DON'T USE UPS!!! I used to work there. You would have a coronary if you saw the way things are dropped, thrown, and stepped on at the unload.

+1000000000... I worked at one of the main hubs in Atlanta when I was younger. You ever see anyone throw a 36" TV?

I have.

I use FedEx almost exclusively for larger packages, and ALWAYS BUY THE INSURANCE!!!

They provide easy tracking info, and they don't charge extra for it like USPS.

If you use USPS, get insurance and ask for "Delivery Confirmation"... This will get you a tracking number, which is very helpful if there is any delay and someone thinks you haven't shipped as promised.

Good luck, brother.

• Members

I just recently shipped a guitar via UPS from Staples. I actually had Staples inspect the guitar, then package the guitar and fully insure it. It was then damaged en route by UPS. Despite all this it still took 3 months to get a refund. Their customer serivce was totally unacceptable. I finally received a refund (for the insured amount only) and kept the guitar as well. Good luck with your claim friend.

• Members

I would think you will be doing pleanty of paper work to get a refund was the shipping box tore up because they will want to see pics of it that way they might think you shipped a broken guitar and i'm sure it has happened the worst part is the buyer is the one out of luck the seller got his money and the buyer only gets a broken guitar....

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well guys UPS denied my claim and I am now out 950.00:cry::cry:. The two main issues are:

1. The guy shipped it back to me "NOT IN ITS ORIGINAL PACKAGE", which ups needs to inspect for external damage to determine if it was caused in shipping.

2. The guy said it was a "hairline crack" and I received with the "headstock broken off". UPS said what the..? This is VERY questionable.

Told dude I would give him 200.00 and broken guitar and THATS IT. This has gone for 3 months now and want to get behind me... I broke even due to I bought the guitar for 500.00 and added 150.00 fret grind work.

Next time I would have UPS package for me, it may be expensive but if it was to be damaged in any way, they would be 100% liable regardless...

• Members

Next time don't use UPS. They are a union which probably explains why they are so much more expensive than Fedex. Anything that can be broken or is expensive it ALWAYS pays to have the store pack it. Besides saving some time, it also guarantees that the insurance claim will be accepted if something is damaged. Definitely worth the extra $15-20.

• Members

Definitely worth the extra $15-20.

It would be.

Except: try an extra $65. That's right: If I pack it: $16+$6 insurance. They pack it: $92, incl their box. I took it to DHL instead, and haven't used UPS since.

And re: UPS insurance - I had a guitar delivered here. Smashed to hell. Tire track marks on the remains of the box - looked like a forklift had run over it. UPS refused the claim, "inadequate protection". DUHH...

• Members

Robbie this isn't true. It's UPS that DHL/Airboune Express will merge with. UPS is hubbed out of Louisville, KY and we are already working on logistics on how to move all the DHL/ABX aircraft from Wilmington to Louisville. But the merger still hasn't been approved by either the FTC or the FAA.

R-

• Members

It would be.

Except: try an extra $65. That's right: If I pack it: $16+$6 insurance. They pack it: $92, incl their box. I took it to DHL instead, and haven't used UPS since.

Except: try reading what I wrote. FEDEX is only an extra $15-20. It's usually $10 for the box (or two taped together since guitars are long) and $10 for packing, maybe $20 if you ask for "fragile" packing.

• Members

Robbie this isn't true. It's UPS that DHL/Airboune Express will merge with. UPS is hubbed out of Louisville, KY and we are already working on logistics on how to move all the DHL/ABX aircraft from Wilmington to Louisville. But the merger still hasn't been approved by either the FTC or the FAA.

R-

Cool..sorry about that.

Archived