Seeking information regarding an HC member named Mykie. Anybody know this guy?

PBRStreetGang

• Members

I'm hoping somebody here knows or has info regarding one of our members. His user name is Mykie.

I sent him a PayPal payment for a guitar he had listed in the HC Classifieds back on Saturday, October 17th. He told me he was going to ship the guitar on Monday, the 19th. He PM'd me to expect the guitar in 2 or 3 days via UPS.

No guitar has been delivered yet and despite several attempts to contact him via email and HC PM's I haven't heard from him since. His profile says that his last visit to the HC Forum was October 22nd.

I figure he's either ripped me off or he's dead. Could be the latter because we're not talking a whole lot of money here. It's not like he's going to live the high life in Costa Rica but it sure is aggravating to think I might have been swindled by a forum member.

I don't like having to out a guy on a public forum but I'm at a loss here. I wish there was an alternative. That's why I'm hoping maybe somebody knows this guy personally and can shed some light on this unfortunate situation.

Any info that anybody has on Mykie would be appreciated.

PBRStreetGang

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, to compound my own stupidity I sent him the funds in the form of a gift. Therefore, I can't file a dispute claim as a purchaser of goods that weren't delivered.

Believe it or not, he didn't request that I send the money that way. I offered it that way to save him a few bucks on the transaction fees. I figured we're all hard up for cash and I did it as a friendly gesture. Had he asked me to gift him the funds I'd have been suspicious enough to refuse. Lesson learned.

That's why I've taken this issue to the forum. I really have no other recourse. I would otherwise try to resolve this personally and not air my dirty laundry in public. I was genuinely concerned that maybe something terrible happened to him. I truly wasn't expecting what happened. I was hoping that someone else here had maybe had an exchange or transaction with him or even knew him personally.

I'll hope to find some answers here and meanwhile go back to kicking myself.

PBRStreetGang

• Members

Here's the transcript from the PM conversation we had on the day I purchased the guitar on Oct. 17th---

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBRStreetGang

Hey,

Saw your listing. PayPal okay?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mykie

I don't have a paypal account unfortunately. got rid of it last year when eBay fees went crazy and I stopped ebaying.

Quote:

Actually after my first response I went and checked and my paypal account was still open. i just had to make it active again so yeah I could do paypal.

Quote:

Cool. Do you have a case or anything to put it in? How would you ship it?

Quote:

I still have the factory boxes it came in. I'd ship UPS ground insured.

Quote:

Okay. Sounds good.

So, if you've got some wiggle room and could see your way to $150 send me your email and I'll PayPal you the money lickety-split.

Quote:

Can't really let it go for $150 after shipping and paypal fees I'd net around $100 I could likely get that much if I pawn shopped it here in town.

Quote:

Sure, dude. I understand. Not trying to lowball you. Just things are tight everywhere. If you could meet me halfway, say $170 let me know. If not, no worries. All's well.

Quote:

thats cool dude paypal addy is mikevondude@gmail.com

Quote:

Okay. Done. I tried to send it as a personal transaction which may negate the fee. Lemme know if you got it.

My mailing addy is:

XXXXXXXX

XXXXX Street

Apt XXXX

Brooklyn, NY XXXXX

Talk to you soon.

Quote:

got it dude. i will ship it out monday morning and pm you the tracking number here. thanks man

The following Monday I had this exchange---

Quote:

Hey. What's the good word? Lemme know.

Quote:

Sorry about that dude. Did'nt get off work til 7:30 pm last night UPS store closes at 5.. She's boxed and ready o go. Gonna swing by the house after work today and drop it off for shipment. I'm guessing 2- 3 days tops Indiana to NY UPS.

Quote:

Alright, bud and thanks. Can you send me the tracking # when you get it? PM is fine.

I waited patiently until the 26th and PM'd him this---

Quote:

What's happening? No word on the shipment. Please give me some info on tracking # and delivery.

A couple of emails sent to him as well but I haven't heard from him since. Strange huh?:confused:

• Members

Maybe he had a crisis or emergency to deal with. The guy has 132 posts. That gives me some hope that you weren't scammed.

Hope I'm not wrong.

Rule #1- Always use paypal when buying or selling, and always starte what the merchandise is in the payment or notes.

I would contact paypal anyhow and see if there is anything they can do. Probably not, but I am sure this isn't a one off event.

The other thing, is communications, more is way better than less whether buying or selling.

• Members

PBRS where in Bklyn are you, I am in Park Slope.Why did you not take a phone number and addy from him.Outside of ebay I have only done two forum transactions and to be honest , on both of them I read everything both guys ever posted, saw they were held in high regard on the forum and also that they had numerous good deals with members.But I made sure I had phone numbers with addresses just in case something went wrong. The only thing I can say is that it is just coming up on two weeks and maybe something did happen and you still might get your item. Other than that you can thank God it was only $170 which still sucks but it was not major damage.

In the future always ask for a phone number and I dont mean a cell, a hard line. As it is much easier to talk to someone and also it offers a way to stay in contact and know who you are dealing with. I have no problem giving my number and anyone on the up and up does not either. Good luck and I hope this works out for you.

• Members

This sucks....a good reason to not send funds as gifts. To me this is the main reason I like to use paypal. Good Luck dude....maybe he had a major crisis and will come around.

You're so right, toyz. I'm hoping the crisis thing is correct but I'm hoping against hope at this point.

• Members

PBRS where in Bklyn are you, I am in Park Slope.Why did you not take a phone number and addy from him.Outside of ebay I have only done two forum transactions and to be honest , on both of them I read everything both guys ever posted, saw they were held in high regard on the forum and also that they had numerous good deals with members.But I made sure I had phone numbers with addresses just in case something went wrong. The only thing I can say is that it is just coming up on two weeks and maybe something did happen and you still might get your item. Other than that you can thank God it was only $170 which still sucks but it was not major damage.

In the future always ask for a phone number and I dont mean a cell, a hard line. As it is much easier to talk to someone and also it offers a way to stay in contact and know who you are dealing with. I have no problem giving my number and anyone on the up and up does not either. Good luck and I hope this works out for you.

Hey, stray. I'm right near the Bklyn Bridge.

Hindsight being 20/20 I can think of allot of things I should have done that I neglected to do. My back and forth conversation via the HC PM's gave me a false sense of the person that I thought I was dealing with.

You know...another guy like me dealing with like minded people. Turns out not everyone is who they seem to be.

You're right, though. At least $170 bucks isn't going to break my bank. I wouldn't have been so cavalier if it was a more significant sum of money. It becomes personal, though. I've been had. And it sucks. Live and learn, as they say.

• Members

Maybe he had a crisis or emergency to deal with.
The guy has 132 posts
. That gives me some hope that you weren't scammed.

Hope I'm not wrong.

Rule #1- Always use paypal when buying or selling, and always starte what the merchandise is in the payment or notes.

I would contact paypal anyhow and see if there is anything they can do. Probably not, but I am sure this isn't a one off event.

The other thing, is communications, more is way better than less whether buying or selling.

And this gives you hopes that he is not a scammer? People with thousands of post scam....the 132 posts makes me worry PBR is {censored}ed.

• Members

Holy {censored}... That sucks!

This is why I've got my 570 up for Milwaukee/Chicago area trade or ebay only. I've had quite a few messages to ship trades... That's laughable....

Hopefully you can get this resolved. I would still contact paypal about it. They may cancel your account and or his but it's worth a shot.

• Members

Holy {censored}... That sucks!

This is why I've got my 570 up for Milwaukee/Chicago area trade or ebay only. I've had quite a few messages to ship trades... That's laughable....

Hopefully you can get this resolved. I would still contact paypal about it. They may cancel your account and or his but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've actually had some real nice trades and bought some gear here with no problems. I have read some horror stories from some other members that had some pretty bad experiences.

An Indian Scout trade comes to mind and another guy who shipped his beautiful axe to a scam artist in Viet Nam and actually got it back months later! Sheesh!

Archived