Seeking information regarding an HC member named Mykie. Anybody know this guy?

PBRStreetGang

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got this email from PayPal today in response to the dispute I opened on October 9th:

Hello PBRStreetGang,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds
from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery
of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and
will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may include
issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account.
Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to take
action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot discuss
the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and that
it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Recipient's Name: Michael L
Recipient's Email: mikevondude@gmail.com
Recipient's Transaction ID: 7MXXXXXXXXXXXX63W

Transaction Date: Oct 17, 2009
Transaction Amount: -$170.00 USD
Your Transaction ID: 36SXXXXXXXXXXX00R
Case Number: PP-827-595-873

Sender's Transaction ID: 36XXXXXXXXXXX0R

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

Other Details

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest you visit the
PayPal site and click the Security Center link located at the bottom of any
page. There you will find tips on how to avoid fraudulent sellers in the
"Fraud Prevention Tips for Buyers" section.

Thanks,

PayPal
Protection Services Department

So, it looks like Mykie gets a walk. What a scum bag.

• Members

Pretty sure my dispute will end up the same way.
There has been no response from the seller up to this point, but I expect to get a similar decision on an account with no funds.

Are you following any of this Mykie?
If you are innocent, why no response to the Paypal communication?

• Members

I understand using a USPS money order is a better alternative to paypal these days, since obviously the protection is not guaranteed. The USPS money order is as good as cash at any post office, and if the seller backs out or flakes, it is considered mail fraud because it is federal funds, and you contact the postmaster to file a dispute. I only use paypal now if I have to...

• Members

Wouldn't a violation of 5g. (You are not permitted to maintain multiple user accounts...) in the TOS constitute a mod pulling IP addresses to help get to the bottom of the multiple user account thing?

BTW, awesome thread.

Yes the mods could help out with pulling IP addresses, we just have to get them to notice something going on in the emporium.

• Members

One thing that I found very unusual in this transaction was that there was no information beyond the name "Michael L" in the email records of the sale from PayPal.

Any time I've used PayPal to buy or sell anything there's always been the counter party's name, address, email and sometimes a phone number included in the transaction info. Also, the information has always been "verified" by PayPal as well.

This one, for some reason, had none of that. Just "Michael L". What's up with that, I wonder?

That being said, I think an IP address would be helpful in uncovering this petty thief, Mykie.

As for getting the Mods to notice...how's this? :wave:

• Members

Maybe try emailing them or pm'ing. I just meant they don't monitor the emporium.

Are you sure? There's always a moderator's name listed in the lower right corner.

arracado is usually the name of the mod on this board.

I'll take your advice and PM him/her this thread and see if there's anything he/she can do to help.

• Members

Are you sure? There's always a moderator's name listed in the lower right corner.

arracado is usually the name of the mod on this board.

I'll take your advice and PM him/her this thread and see if there's anything he/she can do to help.

Yes he is the moderator here, but he doesn't have time to go through huge threads like this.

• Members

Well PBR, you may not have gotten your money back yet, but maybe you can take some consolation in knowing that this thread, all ridiculousness aside, has been very eye-opening. I mean, I guess I'm a pretty trusting guy, and I would have hopped into that deal the same as you, but now I'm definitely going to make sure I have enough information to track someone down if things go awry. These kinds of things should go without saying, but you go through a series of good deals and it starts to get easy to cut some people a little too much slack. Anyway, I'm sure there are more people like me that took away some useful information from this {censored}ty situation. Good luck with the rest of this.

• Members

Well, narad, I don't usually air my laundry in public but this one was situation that I thought needed to be vetted in full view of everyone that trades/buys on this forum. Every family has their asshole cousin/nephew/in-law. I guess Mykie is ours.

I'm not done trying to retrieve what's rightfully mine yet. I've gotten some info that I can use to make this guy very unhappy and am pursuing the matter with the proper authorities. For $170 bucks ol' Mykie may just discover that it wasn't worth it.

You're exactly right, though. Complacency breeds contempt, as they say. My bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, it turns out that if you're a PayPal customer in good standing they'll reimburse you and take the hit for the lowlifes that inhabit the internet underworld.

PayPal has refunded the money that Mykie stole from me. That, in spite of not being able to collect from him. It's too bad that we all end up paying the price for thieves like Mykie in higher transaction fees, etc. I guess I've paid enough into the system to deserve this conciliatory gesture PayPal has given me.

However, no retribution for Mykie. Still working on that.

• Members

Well I just got sold a "Mint Condition" Dual Channel Dual Rectifier on ebay that I paid $1425 for plus $100 shipping and it by far wasnt "Mint" and paypal decided against me. For the tens of thousands of dollars that Ive run through paypal, they wont favor in my case to get only $200 which I was asking back from the seller!!! I {censored}in hate ebay scum, and I am glad that you got your money back from paypal, but as its been said before paypal is useless as {censored} in most cases, and I for one wish I could boycott them but they are an EVIL requirement for me to handle buisness with.

• Members

pfapin I cannot understand how you got ruled against. I have to admit that paypal is totaly for the buyer these days. You say you bought a mint rectifier, what was wrong with it. You should be covered 100% as item came not as described. I bought two guitars this year that were listed as mint that were not and opened a dispute and then got my money back in less than 10 days.

First thing all emails have to be sent through either your ebay or Paypal account so they can read them, if you are transacting through your private email they cant see anything. Ok I see you were going for a partial return and not a full one. I still would like to hear more of your case.

• Members

Yeah, well thats were the problem lies. I used my Email that is linked to the paypal account and they contacted me back and forth saying that they recieved the email and would forward it to my case, but obviously that didnt happen. I sent pictures of proof and everything I could, but I cant reopen the case now is what the policy states. I {censored}in hate ebay and paypal, totally worthless if you ask me. I should try to give them a call but will probaly get some useless person to talk to that would make me even more upset. One time I accidentally sent payment to the wrong email address and mistyped the wrong amount (that I didnt have in the bank and couldnt cover) and they told me on the phone that there was nothing that could be done to stop the transaction from pulling the funds from my bank account to try and put it in the paypal account. Not only would the "self automated" system try to pull the funds out once, overdrafting my account... but its "policy" that if it fails one time then paypal will make a second attempt to pull the funds out again, overdrafting me not once but twice!!! I asked the paypal rep on the phone to get me to someone who could get this mess under control, and she just tells me that its "self automated" that way. So I ask to talk to a person who could help me and she started getting really rude and told me that she couldnt help me with the problem. I hate outsourced phone calls to India with paypal where I get a customer service person whos accent is so damn thick that I cant {censored}in understand what they {censored} they are saying in the first place, and {censored}ty customer service to boot!!! I {censored}in hate paypal, EVIL {censored}ING SCUM THEY ARE!!!

Archived