Synth used on Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle"?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At 2 minutes 50 seconds Steve Miller tells the interviewer that he used ( a cheap little synth he says) then they pan across an White face Arp 2800 Odyssey. to do the intro and some other things he says.

wow, great video! not sure if that's completely accurate though, you can see from the track sheets that one track was dedicated to 'Roland'. who knows? could be one or the other, or even both. love Steve Miller's stuff, either way.

my first guess of ARP 2600 was actually due to my bad memory. i'm pretty sure that Joe Walsh used the 2600 on some of his stuff, and i always get those guys confused for some reason.

• Members

At 2 minutes 50 seconds Steve Miller tells the interviewer that he used ( a cheap little synth he says) then they pan across an White face Arp 2800 Odyssey. to do the intro and some other things he says.

which means it wasn't an ARP Odyssey.They were hardly "cheap".

The credits on the original LP said "Roland", and the track sheets they show in this video say the same thing. The engineer on the sessions says it's Roland. That's pretty definitive.

Documentaries are notorious for using whatever kinda-relevant footage they can find, regardless if it's actually related to the subject. Docs of the space program are bad offenders, they show footage or pix from completely different missions (and often from completely different SPACECRAFT) than the one they're currently talking about.

So to put your mind at ease: there's no ARP Odyssey on "Fly like an eagle". It's all Roland.

• Members

I agree that just about anything could have made that sound, if you heard it without delay and verb there just wouldn't be much there to talk about IMO, certainly not anything very weird-sounding (not saying that as a negative, it's super-cool sounding on the track). My favorite thing about it is that is really makes me think "outer space", especially the little *beep* *beep* at the end :)

• Members

which means it wasn't an ARP Odyssey.They were hardly "cheap".

Actually, at the time, the Odyssey was kinda on the cheap-ish side, if you consider that most people thought of huge modulars when they thought of professional synths.

If not for the quote that it was an ARP, I was going to suggest that it might have been an EML.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Roland SH-2000 on clarinet setting with delay.

the SH-2000’s Frogman and Xylophone patches were used in The Window

the Funny Cat and a tweaked Pulsar were used on Wild Mountain Honey.

Paolo from Synthmania has good demos of the SH-2000 on his site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived