Synth used on Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle"?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The ARP 2600 VSTs that I have contain many presets that sound just like Steve Miller synth lines. I guess it could be something else, but the sounds and timing of the albums are right for the 2600.

Especially the Jungle Love intro...

• Members

If you want to get very close to the sound use Spectrasonics Atmosphere Solo>Vintage Solo>70's solo synth. I used Logic's tape delay to add the delay, using two tape in parallel delays with one using the freeze function makes for some pretty trippy 70's sounds.

• Members

Yet it sounds nothing like the original, except for the echoey arpeggios. Seal couldn't even risk offending anyone, he omitted "to the revolution".... he castrated the damn song.

ask Seal. his cover of Fly Like An Eagle sounds identical.

Seal sampled Miller.

Which is fine by me. The original stands as a classic Hammond/keyboard track, and echoes the politics of the time. I used to perform it. All that drawbar/chorus/leslie manipulation in realtime is a blast, and working in the synth arpeggios is quite a challenge.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've talked with Steve Himself The Synthesizers used in fly like a eagle Were The Arp Odyssey But Most Of The Dreamy Sounds Were Arp 2600 The CIdeo Was Quite Correct About The Echoplex But The Arp 2600 Played The Critical Important Role In The Song As Well As The Arp Odyssey

• Members

Steve was using some sort of Roland synth, not a JP4 (too early). One of the SH series probably.

I think you're right. Steve said that he wrote much of the Fly Like An Eagle album while he in the hospital, and he had a friend buy him a couple of cheap synths. He couldn't remember what they were exactly, but bassist Lonnie Turner thinks that they were a Roland SH-1000 and a Yamaha SY-2.

Turner said that they would play around with them and try to get the craziest sounds out of them that they could.

• Members

Do any of you synth hound forumites know? Also was a step sequencer used for those dreamy, overlapping sounds? Thanks!

I've listened to this song a thousand times but tonight was the first time I actually 'listened' to it for real and man those keyboard parts are awesome.

I was really enjoying the organ tones ripping all over the place.

Everything is so tastefully done, I never even gave that keyboard player a second of my time before to appreciate his talent.

:thu:

I love this place, it helps me open up my ears and mind mind, always finding new things.

Archived