Keytar?

• Members

I recommend starting from the bottom up.

Although you indicated a preference for a direct audio out keytar synth, for the price I think most keytar soundsets are quite limited. But as a midi controller they are stupid fun. One midi cable to your synth and you're in the wind. The lowly Mattel red colored Yamaha shs-10 can be had for cheap if you look around a bit. I got mine for $20 and although its got small "mini-keys" and no velocity or aftertouch, it is a crazy addition to my midi rig. Looks utterly ridiculous but hot-damn!

• Members

Good point.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and find a screaming synth to run a MIDI controller keytar into, in due time. Any other suggestions other than the Alesis Ion that was mentioned previously for the synth? And will I need a keyboard amp for whatever synth I select right off the bat?

I might even be able to convince my wife to have some fun with the regular synth while I search for a keytar I can sufficiently nerd-out with.

• Members

There is also the Yamaha DX-100 (FM - DX-7 Baby Brother with Midi) and CS-01 (mono basic substractive synth). These use mini keys but are great fun. The CZ-101 is also fantastic, again small keys, but sounds cool.

What ever you do, you don't want to look like this guy:

Billy1.jpg

• Members

Now that I've somewhat come to terms with the fact that a MIDI controller keytar will likely be the way to go regardless of my want to cut costs and the stand-alone synth...

What MIDI-controlling keytar offers the best features? Those Lyncs sound great in the little blurbs I can find online, but they seem tough to track down. Are all the feature buzzwords I see floating around in regards to things like aftertouch, polyphonic whatchamadoo, velociraptors, modulation (I assume is acheived by some sort of robot), etc going to really have an impact on a guy like me??

(Yes, I was just joking when I mangled the hell out of those terms - but no, I don't really have a clue of what many of them mean)

I don't know if the mini-key synths/keytars will be much of a problem, except that I have large hands and am somewhat clumsy - have I mentioned that I'm not much of a synth-player at present? It could pose some serious frustration, or since I'm really a synth novice I might just roll with the punches and not find mini-keys to be a problem at all.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I have a Casio AZ-1 and i Love it, when i decide to have a Keytar my prefer goes to Roland AX-7 but i can't find one so, i take the AZ-1 and man, how lucky a man can be? Its a great machine, god keys, a bunch o assignable buttons (for the 80's, of course) and fits perctly with my Roland JD990

Here you can see me playing with and the JD990:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know the poly 800 has already been dismissed here as being ordinary looking, but what if you get one with the reverse coloured keys? I have also seen an all black keyboard too, which was done by swapping out the white "black keys" with black keys from another board.

fetch?id=31291700

• Members

In the early 80s my bass player (well, he wasn't really a "bass" player, which is why we did this in the first place) and I came up with a 'keytar' by tearing apart a MiniMoog and having a body built around the keybed. The only "keytar" that existed at this time (pre-Midi) was the Moog Liberation which couldn't get nearly as fat a bass tone as the MiniMoog.

IIRC, the headstock was from a Liberation, or at least the controller pieces were. But I don't remember exactly.

This thing was HEAVY! lol!

fetch?id=31291918

fetch?id=31291917

a558f3175bb326f95e91148329478240.thumb.jpg.5a935710e90395d66f4d831d40488f59.jpg

6d146ec7da92080fe30990184ff97708.thumb.jpg.3d5b411faca0b7a477db346e4124d118.jpg

• Members

I'd go with the Soviet counterpart to the KX5 I heard it has built in sounds but the buttons are in Russian.

formini1.jpg

Personally I have the classic black KX5 that comes soundless and it still rocks.

If not you can always strap on a Poly-800 but be careful because the Poly has a battery leakage problem if not maintained or replaced (from what I've read).

• Members

ditto on the AX-09, Lucina... not much money if u get a used one and it's a kick to mess around with... nice sounds, guitar lead emulation if you get good at it doesn't sound bad in a club. Plug it right into a keybd amp, I wanted a black one but saved $50 on a used white one so i got that, i may try to do a custom paint job on it.

Archived