Pc Vs Mac laptop for live situation

tonyrobbins

• Members

Originally posted by jazzed

Hardware reliability and operating system reliability tend to be fairly seperate factors nowadays. Operating system reliability generally does not decrease when hardware performance increases.

However, general system reliability falls off sharply as hardware churn increases. When a piece of hardware, a motherboard or a video card remains on sale for 3-6 months, it is frequently the case that stable drivers for it aren't available while it's still on sale.

So, in a system containing an arbitrary collection of a dozen or more of these components in a heretofore untested configuration is going to be a lot less stable than a single configuration that the OS vendor had available well in advance to test everything with.

Yes, this means you have fewer configurations and permutations available, but I have far better things to do with my time than install dozens of driver versions looking for the magical working one. I grew out of finding that interesting or challenging many years ago and got a Mac that Just Works.

Under my desk I have a PC for a couple of applications that are only available on a PC, but I don't trust it, and I certainly don't permit it access to the 'net because that's just not safe.

So, in summary, I use a Mac because it wastes less of my time.

B>

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The PC is definitley more tweakable in terms of O.S. and hardware than a Mac. There is no doublt in the world about that.

Again, assuming you're referring to Windows, what can you tweak on Windows XP that you cannot tweak on Mac OS X?

Because no one uses Macs. That's the asnwer to that, plain and simple.

If there is a direct correlation between popularity and (lack of) security, why is Apache still more secure than IIS?

Mike, my problem with your posting is the way you brush OS X aside as an OS suitable only for computer illiterate users and people who don't use computers extensively or care about customizing anything.

It isn't. There are plenty of UNIX hackers who have been switching to OS X because it allows them to use the various UNIX tools at the same time as commercial software such as MS Office and Photoshop. Many people in various scientific research fields do this for that same reason. That's basically the reason I'd get a Mac (if I could afford a new computer at the moment), except for me "commercial software" is replaced with the ability to run Ivory, Scarbee Gold, B4, FM7, the Oddity, and what not.

Windows is useless to me; I feel lost without a bash shell to perform basic tasks in, because for me, the GUI just gets in the way sometimes. Mac OS X can be a lot more suited to power users than you think it is.

• Members

hey DJ

got a pal who got one of those Chameleons (Chameleia?)

he's put together some interesting 'applets' sort of rudimentary models of old guitar FX (like octave dividing as opposed to pith shifting and Pulse width controlled schmitt trigger fuzzes, etc)
seems like a very interesting box

but I know very little about it

are to share any insights (to neophytes)

• Members

Thats quite a list up there. Im typing this right now from a heavily abused Powerbook G4 I've owned for about 2.5 years now and I have not had any problems at with it all. No doubt its a machine, and its none are perfect. But I also owned a Dell Inspiron for a while too, I barely used that machine and had too many problems to list (hardware and software). Im glad I was able to find someone to take it away from me. That said, I think PCs are great for running Linux. I have an HP made Linux box at work and am very happy with it. I'd happily use one for music if Logic Pro and Live ran on them.

• Members
Originally posted by MorePaul

hey DJ

got a pal who got one of those Chameleons (Chameleia?)

are to share any insights (to neophytes)

Hi Paul!

Good to hear of more Chami-devs..
Chamelia? Sounds like a girl I haven't met yet :D

If there's anything he/you wonder about, pwerhaps we should take that to another thread or PM.

DJ
--

• Members
Originally posted by warpus

... But I also owned a Dell Inspiron for a while too, I barely used that machine and had too many problems to list (hardware and software)...

I'm typing this on my Dell Inspiron 5000. A most excellent piece of kit; never a glitch. Got it since launch (5 years, 6 perhaps?). It runs various OS'es. One of them is the original installation of Windows 98 SE. That Windows install has seen more pieces of software installs than any other machine I've used, and it's always been connected to the net. It's actually my main computer/OS in that I do most of my e-mail, browsing and programming (cross development) on it. Oh, and I also use somewhere between 5 and 7 other OS'es (on other machines) depending on how you count.

Keep it real guys!
I'm out of here before the fire starts. :)

DJ
--

• Members

Thats awesome that you've had good luck with your Dell. I wish I could say the same with the Dell machines I've owned, but Ive probably just had bad luck with them.

Anyways, the original poster asked whats the best laptop for Live use. And up until the recent release of the MacBook Pro, I'd certainly say that a PC is the way to go even though even with my bias against PCs. Because, yeah, this G4 is just SLOW compared to anything in the PC world these days. But the Intel Macs completely change the equation. And I've successfully "converted" many Windows users, and they've all been very happy, never looking back. But I never bothered to learn to fully maintain a windows systems to clean out driver conflicts, editing the registry, routing out spyware, etc... I dont have time for all that. I just want to make music.

• Members

Not a recommendation for one or the other, just adding:

The myth that PC owners are constantly cleaning out driver conflicts, editing the registry, routing out spyware, etc. is exaggregated.

The hedonistic approach of surfing everywhere, clicking on everything in sight and installing the most dubious software is asking for trouble. This is commonly practiced by many PC users - There are more opportunities for shooting yourself in the foot using Windows, and there are more potential victims of self inflicted damage.

DJ
--

• Members

hey mike

i think it's pretty impressing that you know of the copy/paste function on your probably well functioning windows. but try to look at what all those question were and you'll find that a lot of them were just ordinary question from eg people who don't know that much about computers in general. and don't make me get my purse! (read: don't make me copy/paste a list of computer failure question for windows, it is much much longer and you know that!)

regarding the topic, I'll suggest the Mac. I would not recommend the Macbook pro, but ONLY because I haven't tried one yet. I know of and own a perfectly functioning PowerBook, and it is great! For live use it is fantastic because (as Mac in general) it is reliable and it doesn't crash.

• Members

Originally posted by DrJustice

The myth that PC owners are constantly cleaning out driver conflicts, editing the registry, routing out spyware, etc. is exaggregated.

The hedonistic approach of surfing everywhere, clicking on everything in sight and installing the most dubious software is asking for trouble. This is commonly practiced by many PC users - There are more opportunities for shooting yourself in the foot using Windows, and there are more potential victims of self inflicted damage.

Well I'll certainly take comfort in the fact that PCs are great to maintain once you get someone else to figure out what graphics/motherboard/AGP etc drivers you need, and provided you don't do things like use a web browser and click on things.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by DrJustice

DJ

If Mac had the market share that Windows has right now, the same would be true of Macs. Windows PCs are only vulnerable to spyware/viruses because more people have them and therefore it's more worth the hacker's time to write some malicious code for that platform.

If the Mac user's fantasy of proselytizing and converting every Windows PC user to Mac ever comes true, trust me, the same thing will happen to Mac users. So just enjoy your elitism. Macs are made for rich people and are elitist by nature.

• Members
Originally posted by elsongs

Macs are made for rich people and are elitist by nature.

I'm not rich. I used to have a 486. It broke down, got infested with viruses, and I had to reinstall the system software all the time. I got to know the friendly folks at the Fry's Electronics repair shop pretty well.

Then I got a Mac. Yes, it cost more, but it has saved me money in time and repairs and reinstalls and frustration and...time, which is money.

I don't think of a Mac as a luxury item, like a Rolls or a Jaguar, which would really be for the rich. It's more like buying a well-made, well thought-out car like a Camry, instead of a Yugo. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by elsongs

If Mac had the market share that Windows has right now, the same would be true of Macs. Windows PCs are only vulnerable to spyware/viruses because more people have them and therefore it's more worth the hacker's time to write some malicious code for that platform.

A very commonly presented opinion, often dressed as a fact, but there's nothing in the mac world like Active X. Noone in the mac camp said "I know what we can do to kill java, let's just run little fragments of executable prorgrams in the browser, because it'll be fun!"

And this is a philosophy, not an isolated example.

If the Mac user's fantasy of proselytizing and converting every Windows PC user to Mac ever comes true, trust me, the same thing will happen to Mac users. So just enjoy your elitism. Macs are made for rich people and are elitist by nature.

Macs are made for people who aren't sucked into false economies and who have better things to do that nursemaid a machine that isn't even safe to click on web links with.

Speaking as a mac user, I prefer that people currently misguided or stupid enough to use PCs continue to use them because then I can look blankly at them when they have problems.

B>

• Members

Speaking as a mac user, I prefer that people currently misguided or stupid enough to use PCs continue to use them because then I can look blankly at them when they have problems.

Don't be pissed at others because you are too stupid to figure out a computer......

• Members
Originally posted by Birdienumnum

I'm not rich. I used to have a 486. It broke down, got infested with viruses, and I had to reinstall the system software all the time. I got to know the friendly folks at the Fry's Electronics repair shop pretty well.

Then I got a Mac. Yes, it cost more, but it has saved me money in time and repairs and reinstalls and frustration and...time, which is money.

I don't think of a Mac as a luxury item, like a Rolls or a Jaguar, which would really be for the rich. It's more like buying a well-made, well thought-out car like a Camry, instead of a Yugo.
;)

Birdie's true identity is finally revealed: he's Janie Porsche. And he saved Christmas.

Archived