Pc Vs Mac laptop for live situation

tonyrobbins

• Members

Originally posted by elsongs

Macs are made for rich people and are elitist by nature.

Are you being serious? :p Seeing as how an equally configured Mac might cost maybe $200-$400 more than its PC counterpart, that statement is a bit of a stretch. I only wish the difference between rich and poor in this country was less than a few hundred dollars. And to think that Macs have always been a dominant player with schools, students, and teachers. I didnt realize our educational system was rolling in the dough like that.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Mike51

In reply to my:

Speaking as a mac user, I prefer that people currently misguided or stupid enough to use PCs continue to use them because then I can look blankly at them when they have problems.

Don't be pissed at others because you are too stupid to figure out a computer......

Whaaa? I could most likely fix their problems, I just don't want to. Count me as one mac user who doesn't have any particular desire for the bulk of idiot PC users to use macs. Honestly, I want a really good excuse to not touch the inevitable result of their stupid behavior such as clicking on things on th web.

Why do you feel I'm pissed at anybody? I'm very permissive. I think that the US should teach Intelligent Design exclusively, make their patents last forever, hold steadfastedly to the imperial system of units, continue to attack gulf states, and persist with their very special brand of commercial democracy. See how easy-going I am?

B>

• Members

wow...

now lets see ive seen some crap about no mac virii

macs look better on stage

macs are more reliable

etc...

next i'll be hearing about how the g5 runs circles around a p4 per steve jobs. oh wait steve said 2-3 times faster on intel now that they are making new intel machines.

fact.

there are mac virus even for os-x that's why apple releases updates too, to combat vulnerabilities. there was even a post with several examples of mac attack vectors. so stop believing in the magical fantasy that macs are immune to virus attacks and spyware and malware. the fact is that most spyware attacks are targeted at the majority of the buying populace which excludes macs. you buy the minority product you can't be counted on for market research on what the average computer guy online goes for. sorry bout that but you get to miss out on spyware apps cause they don't want your input as they report to computer companies and web sites mostly and they don't want mac user info. as far as no malware, there is malware out there attacking macs. virii as well. the fact that you don't experience a system catastrophy due to a virus attack speaks well for the os. the fact that you don't notice an attack or cannot doesn't speak so well.

now macs look better on stage...

no band looks credible with a laptop on stage. you look like its all prerecorded and you're faking it. hide your laptop don't proudly display it and your one dinky ass controller keyboard as the audience doesn't understand about soft synths.

macs are more reliable...

than what? a p.c. ? nope. i have seen the frowny face on a mac before. they have problems too. even in osx you are gonna have issues if you do something wrong. same goes for windows. you do something wrong it crashes. you do it right it is stable. either platform is prone to crashing due to buggy hardware or misconfiguration issues. as far as drivers are concerned on windows old issue. even brand new hardware has fairly stable drivers as it uses a driver suite designed not from the ground up but to be cross revision compatible and easily adapted to new hardware. this goes for ati, nvidia, intel, sis, uli, via, creative, etc...

if you have an issue setting up your p.c. don't blame the hardware or the operating system. blame yourself. the computer in general is a very complex device with several pieces interacting, even a simple machine is extremely complex. the stupid notion that it is now a commodity piece because grandma and grandpa kettle want email and to surf doesn't mean it is a simple device. somewhere the notion of anyone should own one became fashionable to the computer industry to sell more units and marketing effort shifted from the geeks to the grandparents. it's still the same complex device it was before. don't ever forget that.

if you don't know pci-e from agp from ddr2-sdram you have no business buying a p.c. yet until you know what those are and what they do in a general sense. sorry get web t.v. if you wanna surf and get email.

now to the topic.

either platform will work fine.

it really does depend on the software you want to use as to what to pick for a platform.

for live use there is ableton on either mac or p.c. so wait there's more.

really dying to use a specific plugin effect? then look at which ones you get on which platforms.

other software needed?

how about visuals?

if you want visuals you'll probably want to go p.c. as there are better live on the fly mixing of visuals applications on p.c.

if its all predone either platform can do a video playback along with audio and some softsynths/effects.

hardware wise...

get the best hardware you can up front. realize hard drives and cd/dvd drives and ram can all be upgraded easily later on. you want to max out the cpu and video onboard to the best you can afford even if it means less ram and smaller hard drive. you can always replace the hard drive or add a usb2 drive later. and adding ram is one paycheck away from whatever you need up to 2 gigs. buy the largest fastest machine you can get for your dollar now cpu and video card wise.

• Members

I love how these threads develop when some guy come's in and makes 1 post then disappears never knowing the uproar he's caused.

or maybe sometimes they do? Could the Illuminati be behind PC Mac flamewars online? Spread the hate and conquer and divide?

Hey, it's a lot like the liberals and conservative's... two sides of the same coin, yet even the one's involved buy into it.

Guess in the long run it doesnt matter a {censored} what you get... there are some very nice things about the Apple setup, there's some nice things about the XP setup. Either way you have to know your computer to get the most out of it. Certainly you need to know how to set up the registry in XP when you start, but there are guides for that and if anyone asks they usually get help.

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

I love how these threads develop when some guy come's in and makes 1 post then disappears never knowing the uproar he's caused.

or maybe sometimes they do?

Yep, the next time someone asks this question, I'll ask a basic question about his/her computing needs and state I'll give more info if that question is answered. If the person does not answer, most likely it's a troll.

I guess I fell for it this time, but live and learn.

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

How about we give Tony a chance to answer the fundamental question?

"What software will you be using with Live, Tony?"

YES , probably also or G3,NI K2,Independace making a choice right now thanx a lot i really need this info this forum is really usefull , o and that New apple looks Great! but it wont run Pc programs

p.s I got a little lost with all of the info and also had a little problem withthe PC no need for name calling

girevik well i just gotfunny and a llitlte confusing

• Members

oh im not saying you were trying,i just think it's funny when such innocent threads start such commotion. It's just the same old Mac Pc war that has been waged for years... kind of like the war of the sexes...

heh, though, if you do get a new notebook, look into the Dual Core Yonah chips (core duo) You'll find them on both mac and PC.

• Members

Originally posted by tonyrobbins

Agree ,My question still stand s

If you need to buy a laptop that will run Ableton Live today, then get a PC. If you can wait a couple months, then you can't go wrong with a MacBook Pro. But neither choice will make better music for you. I've had both PCs and Macs, and I can't say that the music I made sounded better on one platform or another. I can say first hand that Windows can be really friggin' annoying with all the spyware, pops, driver conflicts, freezes, etc... But I was able to eventually tune my system so that it was only marginally annoying (making sure its not connected to the internet helped). And eventually I was able to make some actual music with it.

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

fact.

there are mac virus even for os-x that's why apple releases updates too, to combat vulnerabilities.

No, those updates are for security vulnerabilities, which is not the same thing. There has not been a single known OS X virus. Period. I'd like to see a specific example with a link from a credible source.

the fact is that most spyware attacks are targeted at the majority of the buying populace which excludes macs. you buy the minority product you can't be counted on for market research on what the average computer guy online goes for. sorry bout that but you get to miss out on spyware apps cause they don't want your input as they report to computer companies and web sites mostly and they don't want mac user info.

That's the most ridiculous comment in this entire thread. Just because a person uses a platform that doesn't dominate the marketshare doesn't mean their other activities in life are all going to be fit within various niches. Consumers are not catagorized and seperated in various areas of market research based on their operating system choice. Trust me, a marketing company wants as much information from as many people as possible. They aren't going to assume a certain group of computer users are simply not interesting to them and thus discard any easy opportunity to survey their habits.

as far as no malware, there is malware out there attacking macs.

Again, prove this statement with a credible source.

• Members

ok, i gotta chime in here. I use both mac and pc on a daily basis. Both have their issues. Both do crash. I have used pc's for almost 10 years. In that span of time, I have had 3, yes 3 virus problems. All of which I was able to fix myself. All of which I blame on sucky anti-virus software. Now I used macs back in the day, and now have used them for about 5 years. I have not had any problems with viruses but, almost weekly there is a security update for osx. I think it is only a matter of time before we see a mac virus.

The other problem I have is most mac using pc bashers have not touched a pc since windows 95. By that logic, I could bitch and moan about how system 7 really sucked and go on about how great pcs are. I have yet to meet a mac user who uses a pc enough to rag on it. I use both every day, both with current os running on them, show me a pc hater who can claim the same.

• Members

The other problem I have is most mac using pc bashers have not touched a pc since windows 95. By that logic, I could bitch and moan about how system 7 really sucked and go on about how great pcs are. I have yet to meet a mac user who uses a pc enough to rag on it. I use both every day, both with current os running on them, show me a pc hater who can claim the same.

Agreed. On the same level, there ARE Mac bashers who go saying "Macs suck" because the last Mac they tried was a school's G3 flower-power iMac running OS 8.6, and they compare that to their current machines running XP.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzed

Agreed. On the same level, there ARE Mac bashers who go saying "Macs suck" because the last Mac they tried was a school's G3 flower-power iMac running OS 8.6, and they compare that to their current machines running XP.

yes, it goes both ways. Thank you for understanding my post.:love:

• Members

Originally posted by filterthing

In my case, I should say that I am relating my experiences with Windows XP Pro SP2 on a both Dell Inspiron 5150 and Dell Inspiron 9100 laptops. For the most part, the machines worked fine once I dedicated them only as music machines and was careful to only install the software I need and never plugged them into the internet.

• Members

Originally posted by filterthing

show me a pc hater who can claim the same.

Me! Me! [raises hand] At least back in the day.

I started with Windows 3.1 on a 486 and continued with Windows 95, then switched to Mac OS 7.5, so I can directly compare them. And...OS 7.5 was soooooo much better! :D

PS Actually I started with a Sinclair and a Radio Shack "Trash 80" and then a 386. :)

PPS That was a 2nd generation Power Mac, a 601/66... Yes, running at a blazing 66MHz with 8MB o' RAM. :freak::thu:

Archived