Pc Vs Mac laptop for live situation

tonyrobbins

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by tonyrobbins

sorry, yellow Tools Independance

no problem , sometimes i have liittle time .

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use this software:

Ableton Live

yellow Tools Independance

NI Komplete 2

All three will run on both Mac OSX and Windows. But you said you have other Windows programs (that are not music-related) you want to run (eg. games)? If so, then your choice looks obvious to me.

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use this software:

Ableton Live

yellow Tools Independance

NI Komplete 2

All three will run on both Mac OSX and Windows. But you said you have other Windows programs (that are not music-related) you want to run (eg. games)? If so, then your choice looks obvious to me.

mm didnt say that ,,

just run i flexible sampler , maybe G3,K2,live 5 Independace m still making my choice

• Members

What are you using now? I presume your posting to HC from a desktop Windows machine. And if your totally satisfied making music on Windows so far, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with that. If you never give a Mac a try then you'll never know what your missing anyways and so it wont really matter.

• Members

mm didnt say that ,,

:confused:

You said that here:

YES , probably also or G3,NI K2,Independace making a choice right now thanx a lot i really need this info this forum is really usefull , o and that New apple looks Great! but it wont run Pc programs

Anyway, I agree with warpus. Just stick with Windows. But wait for Microsoft to fix their Core Duo bug if you are thinking of buying a Core Duo laptop.

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

Anyway, I agree with warpus. Just stick with Windows. But wait for Microsoft to fix their Core Duo bug if you are thinking of buying a Core Duo laptop.

Im not reccomending a Windows laptop to him. But if he's happy with it already, I certainly dont think there's anything wrong with sticking what works. As for myself, I really gave the switch from Mac to Windows and back to Mac again my best effort. I was lured in by the prospect of faster and cheaper hardware and more software options. But after a few months of music production in Windows XP Pro, I realized again why people pay the premium to work on a Mac. But If my only experience was with a Windows setup, I wouldn't know any better and I'd probably be happy enough with that.

• Members

Originally posted by warpus

Im not reccomending a Windows laptop to him. But if he's happy with it already, I certainly dont think there's anything wrong with sticking what works. As for myself, I really gave the switch from Mac to Windows and back to Mac again my best effort. I was lured in by the prospect of faster and cheaper hardware and more software options. But after a few months of music production in Windows XP Pro, I realized again why people pay the premium to work on a Mac. But If my only experience was with a Windows setup, I wouldn't know any better and I'd probably be happy enough with that.

Soo they have a problem ?., sound like a pc is better choice becuase of software

still that New Mac Laptop Looks KILLER!!!.

• Members

If the choice is to run Live then other software choices are irrelavent. Live runs on both Windows and OS X. The sweet thing about the MacBook Pros is that it wont be long before you'll be able to dual boot between OS X and Windows on them anyways. So, MacBooks will eventually be able to run pretty much anything. But my guess is you'd be booting OS X something like 99 times out of 100.

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

Because of
what
software?

Yep.

Tony, all the software you said you wanted to run, runs on both Mac and Windows. No offense, but you still don't sound like you really know what you want, other than to run Live.

• Members

If your software will work on a Mac, by ALL means.......go mac! I don't know if I've ever seen a live performance done with any laptop other than a powerbook. Herbie uses a powerbook. 'Nuff said :o)

So, MacBooks will eventually be able to run pretty much anything. But my guess is you'd be booting OS X something like 99 times out of 100.

LOL. Or 99.99 times out of 100 :o)

if you don't know pci-e from agp from ddr2-sdram you have no business buying a p.c. yet until you know what those are and what they do in a general sense. sorry get web t.v

So, you're telling me, that a pro musician who doesn't know a lot about hardware to easily plug up and run some soft synths? That's bull. A lot of cats don't have time to learn that stuff.........hence the reason macs are good. You don't have to learn how to troubleshoot the thing constantly to make it work.

fact.

there are mac virus even for os-x that's why apple releases updates too, to combat vulnerabilities. there was even a post with several examples of mac attack vectors.

I'd like to see a credible source on this. Unless you can prove elsewise...there ARE no viruses for the mac. I work in a macintosh reseller store, and we don't use virus protection.......on ANYTHING. Even if that were true....the key word in what you stated is "several" as opposed to.....oh.......60,000? Unix is more secure. Period. Even if macs were the most popular computer ont he market now......they wouldn't have the issues Windows has.

You'd think that in five years of OS X, SOMEONE would have created a virus, maybe just to have the glory of 'I created the first and only Mac OS X virus'. But there hasn't been a single one thus far. Not to say that there can't be, or won't be, but Mac OS X is inherently more secure and less susceptible to malware by design than Windows.

Bingo.

2. Anyone who can't figure out how to prevent spyware shouldn't own a computer, or own any technology.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I guess people who can't figure out how to refrain from sin should not be a part of a religious institution, either. I guess we should all get rid of our cars, calculators, TVs, vibrators, CD players, etc.

• Members

"In my case, I should say that I am relating my experiences with Windows XP Pro SP2 on a both Dell Inspiron 5150 and Dell Inspiron 9100 laptops. For the most part, the machines worked fine once I dedicated them only as music machines and was careful to only install the software I need and never plugged them into the internet."

Same here. That's the thing, though, if you want the PC, it better be task specific. In the end, though it seems more expensive, a Mac is pretty economical.

• Members

a lot on info here

You asked which, PC vs MAC, for live use...how about a MIKO???

I just ordered one, and I'm totally STOKED. Here's a link to the MIKO thread: Link (Thread)

Good luck on whatever decission you make. There's a lot of good people on this board with a lot of good information and experience.

Archived