Unusual Guitar Solos

• Members
First, it's not just Belew, second, I'm trying to eliminate solos that fall outside the bounds of recognizing chord changes and diatonic harmony.

Upper structures?

I'm looking for solos that dance on the very edge of the harmonic environment
while still staying with bounds and having harmonic content.

I LOVE Belew, but out of all his solo albums and King Crimson material I can't think of anything he did that really stretched the bounds of diatonic harmony without breaking it. His work with the Bears was very diatonic, but but was too straight.

Another great example of the kind of solos I'm describing: Dave Gregory on "That Wave" by XTC. The first time I heard that, it was a real 'ear stretcher' and really kinda' floored me. It was 'outside' while still being 'inside'
if that makes any sense.

So you're looking for some pop material? Vaya Con Dios had 'strange' (for the pop sound) gypsy style guitar solos. I sweat when I try to play it 'a tempo'.

Do you know Greg Koch? Mainly Blues-Rock, but always with tricks.

Robben Ford's solo on the Don't let me be misunderstood. Youtube has a live version. Diatonic, some outside lines and upperstructure phrases. A true master.

• Members

After listening the XTC song, I still don't understand why to exclude Belew. He does this kind of soloing much better.

This kind of playing could be heard from Vernon Reid (Living Colour) too.

Me'shell Ndg....whoever :-) also has unique solos on her albums, mainly from Fuze and David Torn. Suggested.

• Members

No doubt the perfect example is King Crimson - Ladies of the Road

No, not really.

So you're looking for some pop material?

No, it doesn't have to be pop. Really the only way I can explain it is to suggest listen to the first and last solos I mentioned. Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and XTC's "That Wave"

I'm scouring the Steelt Dan catalog for more, because I know I've heard things of this ilk from them before, just can't recall the songs. And the solo by Lifeson on "YYZ" gets close, but not quite there. I may use it anyway.

Same with the solo on "Miss Gradenko" by the Police.

• Members

Maybe I can be more specific about the subject under discussion here.

It began with my dissatisfaction with very 'inside' majorminor solos. and then I recalled an interview with Vernon Reid. He went into some detail about how a player can generate a good deal of tension in single note playing. All while staying within the bounds of a major scale, by just using those intervals that have a high degree of dissonance. A tritone being the most obvious and dissonant interval. But there are others. The solo from "That Wave" by XTC is a prime example. Descending 6ths, tritonesdim 5th's, Maj and min 7ths.
And it's how they are used as well. In this case Bbmaj tonality is the harmonic foundation, and the solo sounds like it's out there on a limb to the point of almost falling off.

Hope that helps clear the muddy waters

• Members

Dream theater - Erotomania (first solo, begins at around 1:50).

Agreed. Being a big John Petrucci fan, almost all of his solos have bits are parts that are peculiar, and makes for very interesting/complex playing.

The one you mentioned on Erotomania does sound completely off the wall, on and off keys and moves everywhere.

• Members

The guitar solos around 3.10 and 4.10 are some of the weirdest lines in a pop song I've ever heard.

Those guitar lines are certainly non-traditional, I'll gives ya' that Barry.

Atonal with a pitch transposer, I think the guitar player with the Residents (not Snakefinger, the current guy) copped his entire approach from this.

• Members

You could also check out

Taxman - The Beatles

When the Music's Over - The Doors

Darkshines - Muse

Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Off of Ummagumma) - Pink Floyd

Almost all Primus, Jerry Was a Racecar Driver and My Name is Mud are good ones.

Kings - Steely Dan

Five Per Cent for Nothing - Yes

Archived