Defining "the grail"

• Members

if you want to sit there and assume that something is true just because it's possible that it's true, i can't stop you, but you're just going to waste your time and piss everyone off.

take the advice. seriously. i'm not red dragon/bluemonk or whoever and i'm not bull{censored}ting.

if you want to keep picking on me, go right ahead. i'm not a child anymore and all it does is expose your true nature.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

take the advice. seriously. i'm not red dragon/bluemonk or whoever and i'm not bull{censored}ting.

if you want to keep picking on me, go right ahead. i'm not a child anymore and all it does is expose your true nature.

OK, ok...

Nobody was picking on you. I think you came in here with the intention of stirring some {censored} (correct me if I'm wrong), if that is what you wanna do, sorry, wrong forum.

If not, then you are welcome to participate and discuss here. This a a great forum and people respect each other, even if we hold very different opinions sometimes.

• Members

no, i'm not stirring {censored}. i'm doing my best to represent my true self online, and for it, i've been repeatedly insulted.

Ok, in case I insulted you (which I actually don't think I have, but maybe I am wrong), I apologize.

You did post some statements which led me to think this is pure provocation (hence the "stirring {censored}"), and I think you can't argue with that.

Either way, I suggest we forget about it. Maybe it's all misunderstandings and misinterpretations on both sides.

• Members

It would be easy to say (for anyone), I want to do everything perfectly on the guitar such as playing by ear perfectly the first time I heard a song; create a song anytime I felt like it and get it exactly right the first time; read music perfectly.

While this would be great in one way, in another it would take the challenge out of learning and progressing and that is where the satisfaction comes in. It would be too boring if there wasn't another goal or level to reach.

Does this make sense to anyone?

• Members

Kazoo seriously man, olive branch here. This place isn't a place where squabbling and belittling goes on. But you totally brought this on yourself with the attitude. Your posts READ of attitude. If you don't mean it it really isn't coming off that way.

When you come on a forum like this and tell some of these very experienced pro players "yeah I can do that?? What's the problem?" you have to get ready to back that up. We all take playing and learning very seriously so when someone undermines a discussion that way it gets people pissed.

Music is an art form that takes many lifetimes to perfect - if you dont see it that way that is cool. But please dont come in here and start telling us all how easy it is - it's disrespectful to the place and to the people who hang here.

Like I said I urge you to stay around if you are serious about learning. But if you dont mean to be be showing attitude then your online educate could use some work.

Peace bro

• Members
anyone else want to take a childish cheap shot at me? apparently it's alright with jed.

At some point you might wonder "Is it me, or everyone else?"

It would be one thing if you'd gotten into an argument with one person here, but that's not the case. Do you think everyone here just sits and waits for fresh meat to pick on? Or might you have provoked several folks here?

In my opinion, the regulars here are good guys of all different levels of ability without egos who really like to discuss music and guitar playing in specific.

I think if you chill a bit, you'll find this forum a pretty cool place to discuss music making.

:thu:

• Members

i have no idea how many times i've seen a crowd of people pile into one hapless victim for little to no good reason.
the most obvious examples are lynch mobs and religious/racial persecution, but go into any school and you'll see people being picked on just because they're perceived to be weaker or uncool.

and speaking of religious persecution, you should see what virgman was saying.

• Members

try to see it from my perspective. i come here and say that i want to record an album and do all the parts, and you call it "bravado and bull{censored}". you don't know me, you don't know what my abilities are, and yet you insult me immediately.

i've played the guitar and bass professionally, and can play the harmonica, drums, hand drums, and sing all fairly well. i can also eek out a tune on a piano, although not very well. i've been playing music for well over 20 years now.
i'm actually friends with someone who's released an album where he recorded all the parts, and he's only 20 or 21, and it's pretty damn good. my own brother can play, i don't know, a dozen instruments well. there are talented musicians out there.

if you, or anyone else, has a problem with that, you need check yourself.

• Members

(To all - I am really sorry but this crap I have a hard time leaving alone - which I know I should. But its hard to watch my thread die and get completely derailed as it has - only then to hear it was basically my fault.)

OK kazoo

No I dont know you - nor you me. Yes I shot that comment at you but lets review why before we get into your poor poor victim of oppression stance again. Here was your first response to my thread:

"to create a riff so heavy, it collapses in on itself in a black hole, crushing the entire planet in its gravity well."

This comment was not helpful for anything. For the record I laughed when I read it. but it didn't help anyone or anything here.

Followed by your second beaut:

"what do you want me to say? i can already play melodies i hear or think of. alright, here's something. i'd like to release an album where i play every part. that's not so much a holy grail goal as something i just need to do, since i already have the songs and the skills."

This comment basically says "yeah yeah that's simple I can do that already" then goes on to describe a GOAL you have - which is quite different from a playing level aspiration. You also simultaneously start another thread talking about how music is much too simple for you....

Then, you shot snide remarks at several of the regulars. (Hell even Jed got pissed at you which seldom happens.)

You dont see how any of this could be viewed as annoying from anyone else's perspective??? Why should I see your perspective on anything after all that? I tried to smooth it over but with each passing remark I realized there was no misunderstanding, you are just clearly not a very nice person to converse with.

BS happens and I dont give a {censored} what you think, but don't be all "I am the helpless victim" that is just plain inaccurate. You are responsible for 98% of the treatment you have received. It, in this case, in this place, is well earned.

This is the last i will say about it.

• Members

I thoroughly recommend that you change to movable do immediately.

I'm starting out with solfege right now and it's definitely helping my playing and singing (slightly!). I'm using the fixed do instead of the movable.

Why concentrate on only on the intervals (movable) when you can have intervals AND a specific tone reference? They're not exact Do, Te, Le, etc. but they are very vocal.

I sing the Do runs as well.

I've got some links in anyone wants em'.

As far as the OQ goes...Rhythms. Definitely. I'm thinking of taking some drum lessons (possibly even with my guitar?). Oh and sight reading - singing, harmony and melody. Just the basics.

Anyone the memory chip with all of that I can borrow. I just need to plug it in for a little bit.

• Members

Why?

Because it will train your relative ear far better than fixed do can. It accentuates the minor quality of minor tonalities and modes, and the major quality of major tonalities and modes. Also I recommend using la minor as opposed to do minor (la is always the tonic of a minor key, not do).

Not to mention that for the guitarist, movable do is a much more natural way to go about things as the guitar is a perfect transposing instrument anyway.

I'm talking from experience, I used fixed do for years, and I always found that some keys were a lot harder than others.

Fixed do is useful for atonal music (which should only be tackled once your ear is completely transparent to tonal music), or training very young children to have perfect pitch.

See here for some more info on how to directly apply movable do to the fretboard, also see page 4 of the thread for all the scale shapes;

http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56336

Using that method I can instantly and effortlessly play whatever I hear in my head, and what ever I hear externally (as long as it's not completely atonal). I can also look at a score and hear it in my head, and I can write anything I hear directly to standard notation - all by using movable. I could never do this using fixed do - when I changed over it was a HUGE lightbulb moment to say the least.

btw I HIGHLY recommend this book for solfege exercises: http://www.amazon.com/Fanatics-Guide-Training-Sight-Singing/dp/189094419X

btwbtw - Movable do does NOT concern itself with intervals, rather it's concerned with the sound of pitches against a key centre. Yes the intervals are there, but it's not what this system is about - it's about the distinct sounds of each scale degree in the context of a key - also known as functional pitch recognition. Fixed do can not teach you functional pitch recognition.

Functional pitch recognition is the holy grail IMO.

see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_training

• Members

Because it will train your relative ear far better than fixed do can. It accentuates the minor quality of minor tonalities and modes, and the major quality of major tonalities and modes. Also I recommend using la minor as opposed to do minor (la is always the tonic of a minor key, not do).

Not to mention that for the guitarist, movable do is a much more natural way to go about things as the guitar is a perfect transposing instrument anyway.

I'm talking from experience, I used fixed do for years, and I always found that some keys were a lot harder than others.

Fixed do is useful for atonal music (which should only be tackled once your ear is completely transparent to tonal music), or training very young children to have perfect pitch.

See here for some more info on how to directly apply movable do to the fretboard, also see page 4 of the thread for all the scale shapes;

Using that method I can instantly and effortlessly play whatever I hear in my head, and what ever I hear externally (as long as it's not completely atonal). I can also look at a score and hear it in my head, and I can write anything I hear directly to standard notation - all by using movable. I could never do this using fixed do - when I changed over it was a HUGE lightbulb moment to say the least.

btw I HIGHLY recommend this book for solfege exercises:

btwbtw - Movable do does NOT concern itself with intervals, rather it's concerned with the sound of pitches against a key centre. Yes the intervals are there, but it's not what this system is about - it's about the distinct sounds of each scale degree in the context of a key - also known as functional pitch recognition. Fixed do can not teach you functional pitch recognition.

Functional pitch recognition
is
the holy grail IMO.

see here:

Thank you so much. That was very kind of you to take the time. I appreciate it.

I see now. Will give it a go that way.

Thanks again!

• Members

I have been thinking about some long term goals on the instrument lately. I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we all post our number one dream, as I said "The Holy Grail of guitar"

Is there one? Is there one thing that we all want to be able to do overwhelmingly? So please post for you what would be THE ultimate goal for you on the Instrument.

For now try to nail it down to just one thing. Maybe once we have had lots of entries we can do a follow up thread on how to achieve some of these goals. I am curious to see how many of us are actually making strides towards the thing we so dream of. I bet many of us have never really thought about it : )

So let me start! For me my ULTIMATE goal would be:

To be able to hear melodies in my head and be able to execute them instantly.

You?

It's funny you should ask. As part of a "personal growth" exercise I wrote a "personal mission statement." In the process, I wrote many many many pages about what I wanted to do in my life. When I got to guitar, it was many many many more pages. After reading it all, I was able to finally boil it down to one single statement. It sounds simple, but has really helped me:

"To sound good. All the time."

• Members

It's funny you should ask. As part of a "personal growth" exercise I wrote a "personal mission statement." In the process, I wrote many many many pages about what I wanted to do in my life. When I got to guitar, it was many many many more pages. After reading it all, I was able to finally boil it down to one single statement. It sounds simple, but has really helped me:

"To sound good. All the time."

The funny thing is Jon that is a pretty damn tall order when you really think about it (and you clearly have!). No more "auto-pilot" ever. No more brainless moments - to be totally wrapped in IT at ALL times. That is as good a Grail as there is for sure.

• Members

The funny thing is Jon that is a pretty damn tall order when you really think about it (and you clearly have!). No more "auto-pilot" ever. No more brainless moments - to be totally wrapped in IT at ALL times. That is as good a Grail as there is for sure.

Yup. And it has caused be to look at these things in my playing:

-Am I REALLY in tune or did I "just check it by ear real quick"? Are my bends in tune? If I'm playing with horn players or string players, am I listening for (and adjusting) for proper intonation w/ them? Am I playing attention to finger pressure when playing chords?

-Am I properly balanced with the rest of the band?

-Is my tone as good as it can be? Am I playing really clearly? When I play chords, can I hear all the notes in the chord evenly?

-Am I playing "in time"? I mean REALLY in-time? Do I give in to my own tendency to rush when I get excited?

-Am I REALLY playing what I mean to play? Or am I relying on finger habits? Am I being truly expressive in the moment or am I making assumptions?

-Is it possible for me to be this self-critical, but not so self-conscious that I can't play?

Archived