Defining "the grail"

• Members
Try Open Jam, I bet you will love it there!
:cop:

what do you want me to say? i can already play melodies i hear or think of.
alright, here's something. i'd like to release an album where i play every part. that's not so much a holy grail goal as something i just need to do, since i already have the songs and the skills.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This touches on the perennnial challenge of coming up with interesting original music. When you create a brand new solo, you are essentially composing a new piece of music.

Is there a way to turn on one's inspiration like you flip the light switch?

There seems to be so many different ways to try to answer this questin. Some buy books like "Inner Game Of Music", "Effortless Mastery", "The Listening Book: Discovering Your Own Music", etc. Some get it from random conversations as in the case of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits. Some just write song after song with the idea that if you get the "bad" songs out of your system first, the good ones will come.

I don't have problem with the inspiration it drives me mad, it's getting what's in my head OUT that's hard. Theory has helped immensely.

• Members

I don't have problem with the inspiration it drives me mad, it's getting what's in my head OUT that's hard. Theory has helped immensely.

I'll be in some daily activity and a line so intense that it'd make Holdsworth cry will come into my head...some times it happens when I'm teaching....or when I'm doing a country session...or when I'm taking a dump....or practicing...or when I'm writing...or on stage...or in the shower....

It KILLS me when it comes at an inappropriate time and can't do anything about it...

So I'll bitch at the muse..."Dammit! Give me this {censored} at the right time! Like when I'm writing a fusion tune! Or on the bandstand! Thanks for nothing asshhole!"

And the more I work on the music in my head, the more music I am given, and the closer I get to it.

But it's a sliding scale...the more stuff I get to and conquer, the more stuff I am given that I can't play yet....so I keep moving up in ability to play what I hear, but the distance between what I'm doing and what I want to do is the same. The line keeps moving up, but the distance between what I'm doing and want to do is the same.

If this were to happen me with say, industrial flooring or waste management or something, I'd be rich.....

• Members

what do you want me to say? i can already play melodies i hear or think of.

alright, here's something. i'd like to release an album where i play every part. that's not so much a holy grail goal as something i just need to do, since i already have the songs and the skills.

This comment reeks of bravado and bull{censored} to me - that's some big talk

• Members

So let me start! For me my ULTIMATE goal would be:

To be able to hear melodies in my head and be able to execute them instantly.

You?

Yeah, that sounds about right. Being able to immediately and flawlessly play anything I can conceptualize would be nice. Too bad I'll never get there.

• Members

I think that if you make a post that can in effect be read as saying "I have no particular holy grail, because I already have all the skills I need" you are going to get some raised eyebrows. It might be a bit of an ego game - where someone puts themselves up as "basically perfect" and the other guys throw stones. Realistically, what do you expect?

Combine that with a parallel thread where you expressed your disappointment in your creative skills, and this creates a sense of "huh?". In that instance, it's too tempting to poke a bit of fun.

It's quite possible you didn't mean your post in this thread to put yourself forwards as someone who has it all nailed, but I think if you take a re-read you will see how it can be taken that way.

But hey, in the most recent thread you asked a great question. Let's move on and do what we came here to do: learn some stuff, explore that question!

Cheers,

GaJ

• Members

i think of myself in two different lights, as a guitar player/musician and songwriter.

So i have two grails...

As a guitar player i want to become one with my guitar. The ability to convey what i hear and what i think to the fretboard with little to no effort.

As a songwriter i want to be able to convey exactly what i think or feel to the audience with my music as a whole. To see the audience understand what you are trying to do as you do it is probably the ultimate grail for a songwriter.

• Members
if you want to sit there and assume that something is true just because it's possible that it's true, i can't stop you, but you're just going to waste your time and piss everyone off.

Now I got it, you're blumonk/reddragon, or whatever the nick was. Right?!:cop:
The troll that fooled us all (well, almost). You're coming back and trying to do it again......
Admit it!:cop:

Archived