Defining "the grail"

• Members

The funny thing is Jon that is a pretty damn tall order when you really think about it (and you clearly have!). No more "auto-pilot" ever. No more brainless moments - to be totally wrapped in IT at ALL times. That is as good a Grail as there is for sure.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT! You and your brethren have created a black hole that my life is slowly slipping into. After a 10 year lay-off from playing I was happy getting my speed back (for the most part) and being able to play SRV stuff. Now I listen to your damn myspace page and I realize that there's so much more that has left my brain/fingers or was never there in the first place.

I figure 2-3 hours a day for a couple of years and I should be back on track. Great!

(The above was all to be said with an extreme amount of sarcasm. This forum has really inspired me in a lot of ways. Next thing you know and I'll be transcribing!)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha! Thanks bro! Glad to hear you have caught the sickness again! Misery loves company right!! I love this place for that exact reason. It always keeps me focused on the task at hand and the feet on the ground.

Layoffs are a drag but sometimes I think they can help you re-center.

Get that pen out and your ear-a-cookin! Now you're talkin my language!

Sounds like you got a pretty got grip on your {censored} already. You ever need help you know you'll get it here.

Cheers!

• Members

It's funny you should ask. As part of a "personal growth" exercise I wrote a "personal mission statement." In the process, I wrote many many many pages about what I wanted to do in my life. When I got to guitar, it was many many many more pages. After reading it all, I was able to finally boil it down to one single statement. It sounds simple, but has really helped me:

"To sound good. All the time."

Jon as always sums it up in a couple of words. Doesn't matter if I can easily play what's in my head if it sounds {censored}. Doesn't mater if I can play a gazzilion notes a second if it sounds {censored}.

But by the same token, I can sound good all the time if I don't push myself to play outside my current skill set.

Don't know if it was Jon or Mark Wein who said about practicing "If it sounds good, its not practicing".

Archived