Ideal age to start lessons?

Picktrade

• Members

Is 5 years old too young to start guitar lessons?

I've always thought kids should start music lessons on piano. Maybe I'm biased because I started on piano, but it seems to me it would be easier to learn the theory of music, etc... on a piano vs a guitar. Also I wonder if a 5 year old is coordinated enough to hold a guitar and get both hands going at the same time right away. Anyone have thoughts on this matter? I have a 5 year old daughter and will be putting her in piano in the fall. It just seems like the perfect instrument for a young child to learn music on.

• Members

I have a 5 year old daughter and will be putting her in piano in the fall. It just seems like the perfect instrument for a young child to learn music on.

The best idea I heard about this was from Mike Dodge (Gennation).

He puts an inexpensive electric guitar, a few pedals and an amp in a room in his home. It's there for his kids to mess around with.

Other than that, he leaves them alone. If they come to him with a question he answers it. That's it. If the kid wants to play they can. They might have an interest and they might not. Now, of course, Mike knows a lot about guitar. But with a 5-year old how much do you need to know? Show them chords, a scale maybe? Where the notes are?

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Most kids dread being forced to take music lessons. They hate it and they hate being made to practice. It ruins the whole experience.

My two cents.

As an example, my own daughter never had an interest in the guitar. Until Taylor Swift. All of a sudden here she is: "Dad, can you show me how to play the guitar like Taylor Swift?" Now she plays everyday ON HER OWN. Only comes to me if she needs help. She even goes on the web and gets song arrangements.

This is the best way.

I showed her how to play piano when she was much younger. Gave her sheet music and explained how to read it. Then she learned a whole bunch of simple songs by herself. It's a good way to go. But one thing she does not like is being pressured to play/practice.

The flip-flop of this is my nephew. Played sax all through middle school and high school, marching band, etc. Never played after high school. Never.

Parents made him do it until then. Has a couple expensive saxophones too. Gathering dust.

Is your 5-year old bugging you to take guitar lessons? Piano lessons? If you have a piano or keyboard at home does your kid sit there and bang away on it for fun? If she does then maybe she would like to take lessons. If not then maybe YOU are the one who should take the lessons.

I hope you take my thoughts in the spirit of helpfulness in which they are intended.

• Members

My brother started taking guitar lessons when he was 5, and I think it's a perfect time to start, especially if you want them to be good at reading music. At least with my brother, his big advantage over me was that he was learning to read words and learning to read music at the same time. As he got older, reading music was as second nature to him as reading books.

I on the other hand, started with the drums at age 5, but didn't really switch to guitar until I was 9. My reading skills have always been behind my brothers. However my rhythmic skills have always been way ahead of his, so... I guess you have to weigh that too.

However, whether it's drums, guitar or piano, I think 5 is a perfect age to start learning an instrument.

• Members
Any age is perfect
if the kid wants to do it

I agree. My bro and I both really wanted to play. Now my parents would make us practice every day as long as we kept taking lessons (much in the same way they made us attend every baseball practice if we joined a team), but we were never FORCED to play.

My son is about to turn 7 and he's bugging the {censored} out of me to start drum lessons. Guess what he's getting for his birthday. :lol:

• Members
I agree. My bro and I both really wanted to play. Now my parents would make us practice every day as long as we kept taking lessons (much in the same way they made us attend every baseball practice if we joined a team), but we were never FORCED to play.

My son is about to turn 7 and he's bugging the {censored} out of me to start drum lessons. Guess what he's getting for his birthday.
:lol:

And don't forget earplugs for Mom and Dad! ;)

• Members

The best idea I heard about this was from Mike Dodge (Gennation).

He puts an inexpensive electric guitar, a few pedals and an amp in a room in his home. It's there for his kids to mess around with.

Other than that, he leaves them alone. If they come to him with a question he answers it. That's it. If the kid wants to play they can. They might have an interest and they might not. Now, of course, Mike knows a lot about guitar. But with a 5-year old how much do you need to know? Show them chords, a scale maybe? Where the notes are?

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Most kids dread being forced to take music lessons. They hate it and they hate being made to practice. It ruins the whole experience.

My two cents.

As an example, my own daughter never had an interest in the guitar. Until Taylor Swift. All of a sudden here she is: "Dad, can you show me how to play the guitar like Taylor Swift?" Now she plays everyday ON HER OWN. Only comes to me if she needs help. She even goes on the web and gets song arrangements.

This is the best way.

I showed her how to play piano when she was much younger. Gave her sheet music and explained how to read it. Then she learned a whole bunch of simple songs by herself. It's a good way to go. But one thing she does not like is being pressured to play/practice.

The flip-flop of this is my nephew. Played sax all through middle school and high school, marching band, etc. Never played after high school. Never.

Parents made him do it until then. Has a couple expensive saxophones too. Gathering dust.

Is your 5-year old bugging you to take guitar lessons? Piano lessons? If you have a piano or keyboard at home does your kid sit there and bang away on it for fun? If she does then maybe she would like to take lessons. If not then maybe YOU are the one who should take the lessons.

I hope you take my thoughts in the spirit of helpfulness in which they are intended.

Both my kids (boy and girl twins 17 years old) are musicians. I approached it in the same way that Mike did: make the stuff available and don't push.

My daughter Ashley plays bass in a power-punk band called "Now We Stand" and my son Steven plays in a Prog-metal band called "Ghettos to Glass"

I agree with the sentiment (Don't push the kid). I started when I was 6. At the time, nothing else in the world was of any interest. I've explained that to my kids many times. If they want it, that's fine. But know it can be a difficult road to take. Certainly worth the ride, but full of challenges just the same.

In the balance, it's better because they know that they've earned everything they've accomplished.

• Members

Research has been done which suggests that sounds can never be reproduced with the same level of conviction unless they are heard and played before a certain age. This is part of the 'mother tongue' theory which also exists within spoken languages. An example of this is the fact some (usually older) Germans can't pronounce 'the' and instead say 'zhi'.

http://suzukiassociation.org/about/

After saying that, I agree with a lot of what's been written above.

I teach guitar. I've had kids as young as 6 really enjoy playing the guitar and do really well in the lessons. I've also had ones a few years older who lack the ability to focus on music in the slightest.

I've gone to piano lessons since I was 6 years old. I'm grateful that I got the opportunity even if I did not always appreciate it at the time. I'm also grateful that my parents kept me going to them, although when we changed piano teachers, there wasn't much encouragement needed as he was a lot more interested than the previous one.

Getting beyond the initial stage of playing an interest will require a genuine musical interest and some of what's been written above will help that.

On the other side, even when kids don't practice very much it's better they have an alternative to spending hours in-front of the TV or video games and I've had people really kick off their interest in guitar big time after going to lessons for a year and only putting in super minimal effort during that time.

In my view, 5 is not too young and in many ways the ideal age to start learning the musical language but you should try to encourage a wider musical interest, rather than just something which is about lessons.

• Members

My Parents forced me to play violin around 5th grade. I really hated it for the most part. I was too young to appreciate it. I think if the kid is interested in it, then definitely pursue it. Looking back, i wish it was something i took more interest too.

Same thing goes for guitar. If my parents forced it on me early on, I probably never would have found interest in it. It needed to be something that I found on my own.

• Members

My Parents forced me to play violin around 5th grade. I really hated it for the most part. I was too young to appreciate it.

After saying that, you're on this forum now, presumably because you're passionate about music.

A large number of musicians (including the ones who replied to this thread) I've came across started by playing another instrument when they were much younger. Some really put in the practice when they're younger but most do not. Usually, the real musical interest kicked off when they took up an instrument that they were more interested in, during the teenage years and discovered styles of music they connected with. This describes my story as well as quite a number of other people I've spoken to.

I think having the experience of another instrument when younger can be very helpful, even if you don't ultimately feel you're achieving a lot at the time. There is also theories that children who play a musical instrument do better at maths and other subjects.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Playing-Musical-Instruments-Improves-Mathematical-Abilities&id=3435693

• Members

Sorry but I have to disagree some here. If you just leave the kids with the instrument and no real structure around that they won't make much progress. Obviously they have to have some interest in what they are doing but without a structure around that they are going to flounder and get bored even more quickly. Kids also crave interaction so it's necessary to have a teacher to provide that, it's also even more beneficial if a parent can play with the kids. Again, leaving them alone with the instrument in most cases isn't going to amount to much.

As far as age goes you'll know within a few lessons if they are old enough. If they can focus through an entire lesson and can understand how to count some simple one or two line pieces you should be set. As far as the instrument goes it probably doesn't matter much at this point. A 5 year old is to young to have developed a sense of what they like musically and what they like musically should drive what instrument they should take up. At 5 what you should be looking for is for them to pick up the fundamentals like note reading, timing, and some discipline.

Archived