I miss the "old" Lesson Loft

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have to be honest Jed,

there were times when you first came here that you commented to me and others like we were witch doctors. I would get PM's from regulars (not naming names) who were wondering who you were and where the hell you were coming from and why you were coming on so strong about stuff. I would tell them "who cares, whatever, etc...".

Personally, I'm cool with that kind of stuff...for a while, as you know. But it turned off a lot of people. Now we just don't cross paths with you.

I have been coming here a LONG time and I don't ever remember any Good Old Lesson Loft. What it is today is what is has been from the beginning. It's actually always been worse than the old guitar.com theory section (if you remember that), worse than TGP, worse than U-G.com, ibreathemusic, guitartricks, guitar101, the Vai forums, and the list goes on. That's just the nature of the size of HC.

I remember my VERY FIRST post in the Lesson Loft, the first comment was a picture of goatsee!!! Meh, I commented back with "you think it sounded like lasagna and spaghetti?".

There were times when it was really bad here, Skatan, and some others that I don't remember their names (many of them were alts) really pissed off a lot of good theorists and learners that picked up and left. People were leaving this site on a day to day basis because of "Internet crap". The names have changed but the forum hasn't changed much at all.

Ah yes...the good old days.

I frequent a lot of thriving Internet theory forums and this has always been the loosest forum on my list, by far.

I've been asked a few times to be a mod here, but I know that's not a good idea because I would actually have to deal with the crap and the people who jump on people, know it all, disrupt, only to move on. I'm here for a different reason...not to settle disputes, kick people off, and it's not for modal beers or telling someone the have to learn it themselves, or for a friendly slap on the butt, etc...

Glad it wasn't just me. I came here a year or two ago and posted some ideas to try to be helpful and I ended up leaving this forum because of Jed. Just a joke.

I only came back in today cus of a link and saw this and laughed. :lol:

• Members

I have to be honest Jed,

There were times when it was really bad here, Skatan, and some others that I don't remember their names (many of them were alts) really pissed off a lot of good theorists and learners that picked up and left. People were leaving this site on a day to day basis because of "Internet crap". The names have changed but the forum hasn't changed much at all.

Ah yes...the good old days.

I have to be honest here, SKATAN was an alt of mine. If you remember I was posting about theory in Amps and Effects way before the LL even started. I didn't like the way Popard brought every theoretical concept back to modes and exceptions. I had theory enemies from other forums posting that i was a theory snob? and I attacked people who posted stuff they didn't understand correctly. at that time i believed i was helping people understand advanced concepts without relying on outdated logic, posting stuff about George Russell would alienate people because most have no clue what he was on about. anyway i was annoyed at Poppard for culling threads almost daily as if to say only his concepts were worthy, still feel that way but keep it mostly to myself. hey I`m allot older and wiser these days:thu:

• Members

BTW, I posted the password to SKATAN on a thread in effects, another guy ran with SKATAN for a while and edited most of the skatan posts to the word "poo" fun times for sure, so i cant take responsibility for all that was SKATAN

• Members

Wow - this many of you have had a bad time here?? Seems polar opposite of my experiences here.

Poparad has never jammed his concepts down my or anyone else's throats that i have seen. Not saying you arent truthful just kind of startles me to hear a perspective like that.

Jed and Pops have been 2 of the coolest cats around this place.

I for one completely agree with Jed. I miss this place. I spend time in other rooms and this one is the one I kept and keep coming back to.

We gotta get this place back on line. Where are all you dudes? Jasco, Jed, Meganutt, Tricky, Jad, Bigboy, Santuzzo, Garrett, Jon, Mo, Virg, gear, girevik - the lot of you (I know I missed many no slight intended) where are you guys? Lets get the chatter back online. Seems HC has settled to this old forum so let's get this place back.

Come on all, post your brains out. Without new posts this place will continue to whither.

• Members

i angered poppard early on, when the LL started i felt like i should have been the mod, i asked in effects many times for a theory forum, bang, there it was and I was the enemy. I posted curly questions just to gloat at the answers. the best ever theory thread happend in effects, i wish i could get back in touch with the only guy who totally understood where i was comming from. "wolf-tones" is a hint if your still around? man You know your stuff. pm me

• Members

Sucks about stuff that happened "back in the day". All I can say is that in my short time here prior to "the switch", I found this site to be amazingly useful. I'm hoping now that they've given up on 2.0, that it will return.

I've cruised around to some others, and this was/is the one site where I felt people weren't just looking for an argument. You ask a valid question and generally speaking you get a valid answer.

• Members

We gotta get this place back on line. Where are all you dudes? Jasco, Jed, Meganutt, Tricky, Jad, Bigboy, Santuzzo, Garrett, Jon, Mo, Virg, gear, girevik - the lot of you (I know I missed many no slight intended) where are you guys? Lets get the chatter back online. Seems HC has settled to this old forum so let's get this place back.

I'm still here - will start increasing my post count with some tips for the noobs (seeing as I am one LOL) ;)

• Members

i angered poppard early on, when the LL started i felt like i should have been the mod, i asked in effects many times for a theory forum, bang, there it was and I was the enemy. I posted curly questions just to gloat at the answers. the best ever theory thread happend in effects, i wish i could get back in touch with the only guy who totally understood where i was comming from. "wolf-tones" is a hint if your still around? man You know your stuff. pm me

Not much we can do about what happened in the past.... What I can say is only that my experience has been different. Much different.

I don't know you or your posting style but maybe the powers that be thought your approach wasn't quite what they wanted in a moderator. That isn't a slight by any means. Certain people may not fit certain jobs in the eyes of certain people - regardless of knowledge. From my time here (which is considerable) Pops has been a completely fair mod. Lets some stuff slide - steps in when it needs.

Again, I dont really know. Just offering the possible other side of the coin.

• Members

fair call for sure; i sincerely doubt i would have been a fair moderator back then, before MF bought HC i`m talking that far back. BUT i did feel that i was one of the only people posting theory stuff on HC before the LL started, i was shocked at the time (not now) that the LL was used to push IMO out dated illogical "western music theory"; in my head i convert the old theory to what i consider as new ideas. the new ideas came from Schoenberg and Russell, two imo very important theoretical masters, both books were around 60 years ago. i would get slammed for posting Lydian Chromatic ideas or regions instead of "Modes with exceptions or passing notes" I would honestly get aggravated that this disinformation was completely confusing people, my theories (and many others) on voicing is not clearly understood by people busy slamming the posts. I accused people of profiting through stupidity. I don't feel that way anymore and have had civil conversations since then. i still visit and lurk here, my only wish is that the history of threads are kept and not deleted like every other forum on the net :poke:

• Members

I have never been a fan of the whole "slam" thing anyway. I dont really understand it. Ego among artists/musicians is a huge pet peeve of mine. Stupid NEED to be "right". Frankly, I want you to know something I dont or have a different perspective so that I can sharpen or change my view.

Music theories should never be regional in my opinion. All points are valid and worthy of consideration - recognized or not. If great music is made with a unique approach I would always be open to hearing that.

I would love to hear your views on those subjects. Maybe you should start a thread on your views of that stuff...

• Members

LOL @ sgt. I can only hope it was the other guy with your password posting...maybe it was your other 'personality"? ...anyone with as many alts as you had to have disorder going on.

Were you also the Carmichael Angelo dude too? That was one of the few guys out of all the boards I hang at that really understood modal concepts! He had some great teaching material he put together too. I wonder whatever happened to that guy. Although, I don't ever really remember Poparad cramming modes down anyone's throat, Pop definitely knows the modal side but I don't remember him ever preaching modes all that much.

But seriously, you REALLY wanted to be a mod that bad?

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was.

• Members
LOL @ sgt. I can only hope it was the other guy with your password posting...maybe it was your other 'personality"? ...anyone with as many alts as you had to have disorder going on.

Were you also the Carmichael Angelo dude too? That was one of the few guys out of all the boards I hang at that really understood modal concepts! He had some great teaching material he put together too. I wonder whatever happened to that guy. Although, I don't ever really remember Poparad cramming modes down anyone's throat, Pop definitely knows the modal side but I don't remember him ever preaching modes all that much.

But seriously, you REALLY wanted to be a mod that bad?

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was.

skatan and lame were my alts, i had one or two others but cant remember the names. ( i had an alt where i was kind to the people who hated me the most, that was fun for a while) I pm`d Phil from effects to delete all my alts a year or two ago. I left the forum for a few years around 2005 after giving up Skatan. I think Arr matey took over skatan until he got bored,
I remember having a few arguments with you and poppard regarding the Lydian Chromatic Concept. I would try to answer people questions with the LCC and Schoenberg's regions instead of the old mode this and mode that, you guys were not kind if i remember correctly :)
I really got into the Lydian Chromatic Concept, I tried to relate everything back to that as just another way too look at it, i do truly believe George Russell was onto something. I don't believe I had the only opinion on what was right, I did argue hard a few times, it wasn't easy believe me.
anyway I hope you guys don't hold any grudges, i've been good for a while now.

I did want to be a Mod early on, I believed I was the only guy hammering Scott for a theory forum back then.

• Members

Of course, one thing to be aware of is that "how far back is the good old days" differs for different people.

For me it's more recent than all the crap being described above. Say, the last year or less. They were mostly really good times, especially around the beginning of 2010. There were months on end early in this year where I can't recall seeing a single "person getting on another person's nerve" kind of post ... just lots of good helpful lessons and advice going down ...

GaJ

• Members
BUT i did feel that i was one of the only people posting theory stuff on HC before the LL started, i was shocked at the time (not now) that the LL was used to push IMO out dated illogical "western music theory"; in my head i convert the old theory to what i consider as new ideas. the new ideas came from Schoenberg and Russell, two imo very important theoretical masters, both books were around 60 years ago. i would get slammed for posting Lydian Chromatic ideas or regions instead of "Modes with exceptions or passing notes" I would honestly get aggravated that this disinformation was completely confusing people, my theories (and many others) on voicing is not clearly understood by people busy slamming the posts. I accused people of profiting through stupidity.

Probably the reason it got slammed so hard is that you and I are the only ones that listen to that stuff!:lol: Any "new music" ideas and concepts are going to freak out even the most serious musicians.:eek:

In the last year or so, I've been sputzing my gurgle here. And there are/were some open minded cats here. At least in my time here.....

I think Imma come back for a bit.

• Members

I really got into the Lydian Chromatic Concept, I tried to relate everything back to that as just another way too look at it, i do truly believe George Russell was onto something.

He was DEFINITELY onto something.

• Members

Russell's thing started out as a information pamphlet that a couple of people caught onto. But then Russell seize on the popularity and turned it into to a whole epic answer to music...which is where it lost many of it early followers...exactly like what happened when the church took over modes and lost the original train of use. But in the end, both made Modes last long and find new uses.

The thinking of modes these days is more in tune to the early works of Russell...it's the later works of Russell that wash things out. So, Skatan should've been agreeing with Pop if that's what Pop was preaching.

As a musician you find new things all the time that inspire thought and musical direction...I have plenty of my own theories that I can use flawlessly to create music BUT things never go anywhere when music get settled, so I keep find more, IOW Russell ideas are one of many great ideas that spawn inspiration...but there's quite a few of them out there...

and Skatan, if you have grown as a musician in the last couple of years, I'm sure you realize this now.

• Members

Come on all, post your brains out. Without new posts this place will continue to whither.

I'm still here. :wave:

Personally I've never had any problems with Pop or Jed. And for all my stupid posts that I've made they must have infinite patience.

I would like to see some new members here. This place needs new blood. We need noobs to ask questions that even I can answer like...

Q: "Which is better? Alternate picking or economy picking?"

A: Both are good. Whatever is appropriate for the particular situation. So learn both.

or

Q: "Who was better? Hendrix or Eric Clapton?"

A: Hendrix

• Members

Russell's thing started out as a information pamphlet that a couple of people caught onto. But then Russell seize on the popularity and turned it into to a whole epic answer to music...which is where it lost many of it early followers....

The thinking of modes these days is more in tune to the early works of Russell...it's the later works of Russell that wash things out. So, Skatan should've been agreeing with Pop if that's what Pop was preaching.

I have the original book from 1952 or when ever it was released, i read the updated one and found it to say the same thing as the first book just in a more verbose fashion. I gave up on the second book, but the first one is a true work of genius, it took me five years to understand, once it drops its logic just clicks and BAM. i can relate what he said to Schoenberg, neither in my opinion have anything to do with diatonic modes. cromatic modes yes. BUT people like David Baker and the guy who wrote Cromatic approach to harmony just ape Georges ideas while bringing them back to a diatonic framework and completly loose the logic. I love David Bakers stuff but even he would admit its just the LCC transposed back to the Major.

• Members

Just thought I'd post here again so that everyone could once again see what the old HC logo looked like. (my avatar)

I've stopped coming here not because it has changed, but because I got enough information to learn on my own. So, I'm putting in the time as best I can, learning on my own now.

When I first came here, I didn't have a clue about theory. Now I know enough to get by. Very rewarding experience finding this place years ago.

• Members

My two cents:

-These are the "good old days", just like the song says. They're never really "the good old days" until they're gone.

-Your point of "show up to keep things moving" is well-taken.

As for me, I enjoy this forum a lot. I like the general feel of "everyone's welcome here: noobs and pros alike." At the same time, my resentments are quick to rise if I spend more time on an activity than I feel like it's worth. With internet discussions, there is "heated, passionate discussion" and then there's "complete waste of time when no-one makes any sense because everyone's trying to be right." There's but a thin line that divides those.

Lately I haven't spent much time here because I've had other fish to fry.

I think it'll come back around.

• Members
I just read through an old thread "Scales, where to start?" and was struck by how gentle and kind this forum was to a relative newcomer.

You must have been blocking out some of my replies to newbies in your memories. :lol::lol:

Seriously there were some really good moments here. Education and entertainment.

By pure coincidence, I got hammered by a vast amount of real world music work just about the same time the switch over to V2.0 happened.

And I'm still ass-deep-in-alligators, so to speak, and have not had much time for any e-forum stuff lately.

When the work dries up, I'll be back here a lot.

Archived