New Format - too many Stickies ?

Jed

• Moderators

With the new format of the forum, suddenly I find myself distracted by the number of sticky threads we have at the top of the forum. I'll contact Poparad to see if we can find a way to reduce all of those posts into some kind of indexed link listing.

Meanwhile, am I the only one that hates Stickies? I generally use a lap-top to view the forum so my screen space may be more limited that yours.

I look forward to your comments.

• Members

I'm pretty sure they could be put in a sub-forum, but it would take an admin (me) poking around inside vBulletin to do it. With the older version of vB, sometimes subforums showed up properly, sometimes not...hopefully it would be consistent now.

• Members

I do about 90% of my viewing and posting from smartphone these days. The stickies are a major hassle with a smartphone. It adds about 10 clicks just to the get to the current threads. I know I've complained about the stickies on many occasions. Hat's off if you clear them out.

Maybe just create one thread called stickies and move the sticky threads in it, or at least see if you can move them to the bottom of the screen at least.

I will say the reply screen is a major improvement with the new version compared to the old!!! Thx!

• Moderators

I do about 90% of my viewing and posting from smartphone these days. The stickies are a major hassle with a smartphone. It adds about 10 clicks just to the get to the current threads. I know I've complained about the stickies on many occasions. Hat's off if you clear them out.

OK so how strange is this. As I was writing that post, I thought about you specifically. Don't get all lovey-dovey on me now, I didn't post that because of you but I did have this image of Albert Eistein complaining about screen real-estate on a smartphone as I was posing the question. LOL

I'll talk to Poparad and Craig about these issues. Thanks for you help in advance Craig !

cheers,

• Members

OK so how strange is this. As I was writing that post, I thought about you specifically. Don't get all lovey-dovey on me now, I didn't post that because of you but I did have this image of Albert Eistein complaining about screen real-estate on a smartphone as I was posing the question. LOL

I'll talk to Poparad and Craig about these issues. Thanks for you help in advance Craig !

cheers,

That would be awesome Jed! This upgrade will end up being a good one.

Now I'm off to test the search function!!!!!

• Members

That would be awesome Jed! This upgrade will end up being a good one.

Now I'm off to test the search function!!!!!

The Search function will take a while, it has to index the entire site and with millions of posts...expect it to take about a week, but maybe more. However, people are reporting that search works for posts that were made since the transition, because they were indexed when they came in.

As to the Stickie thing...rather than do PMs, would Dr. Poparad kindly weigh in using this thread. I don't make any changes to a forum (other than ban/delete spammers if I see them) without permission from the forum's moderator.

• Members

If a thread has merit it will survive on its own. No need to sticky it.

The thread will disappear if there is no interest.

A lot of these stickies are monuments to their creator. Nobody gives a crap really.

If I'm looking for info about a subject I Google it. I don't wade through a sticky thread.

There are a few good stickies in some forums like EG (Hot Deals).

• Members

If a thread has merit it will survive on its own. No need to sticky it.

The thread will disappear if there is no interest.

The purpose of a sticky thread is to provide ready access, particularly to newcomers, to information that is presented and doesn't need a lot of discussion.

Only discussion keeps non-sticky threads visible, and some things simply are worth reading for any visitor, yet don't warrant further discussion.

A lot of these stickies are monuments to their creator. Nobody gives a crap really.

This is patently bull{censored}.

Watch the "view" count of the sticky threads. It steadily increases for most of them.

Maybe this would be a good criteria. If the viewcount is not increasing, unsticky.

GaJ

• Moderators

This is patently bull{censored}.

Watch the "view" count of the sticky threads. It steadily increases for most of them.

Actually no, it isn't bull{censored}. It a valid perspective and one shared by more than a few other forum regulars. The stickies offer little value to long-time forum members, but they are quite valuable to new comers. SO what do you think? Would a single Sticky index work?

cheers,

• Members

Would a single Sticky index work?

Interesting idea. One of the things about the late, non-great Jive forums is they had a "featured discussions" option that did just that.

So how about this: A sticky at the top, called "Links to Popular Forum Resources," that consists of a single post and would be a closed thread. The post would contain a link to the threads that are currently stickied now, with a couple sentences describing what the thread is about. The currently stickied threads would be unstuck.

I like this idea. I think I'll steal it for other forums :) What do you guys think?

• Moderators

That's exactly what I was thinking. A single sticky to index to all discussions of note including all the current sticky's. We could cull the index from time to time based on member's input. I was thinking that a title of "Read Me First" for those visiting the landscape for the first time. Alternatively, consider the naming of this sticky open for Member's suggestions. No need to remember what sticky the info was in, it's all indexed in the one "Read Me First" sticky. People that want to track activity in the current sticky threads will have two options: 1) see the thread come to the top of the open threads listing (the normal view) or 2) subscribe to the thread. I can't imagine it gets much more economical that that.

cheers,

PS I'll start working on this single sticky thing. So y'all can see and comment on it before we release the current sticky threads.

• Members

Actually no, it isn't bull{censored}. It a valid perspective and one shared by more than a few other forum regulars. The stickies offer little value to long-time forum members, but they are quite valuable to new comers. SO what do you think? Would a single Sticky index work?

cheers,

With respect, Jed, Virg said "noone gives a crap really"

This _is_ bull{censored}.

I accept that many members think that the stickies are a bad thing. But this is not the same as "no-one gives a crap".

If Virg had said "many people think the stickies are a waste of space and don't like them" I would not have disagreed. It's "no-one gives a crap" that I am pointing out is manifestly not true: these threads get hundreds of thousands of views.

So what do you think? Would a single Sticky index work?

Yeah - that makes a lot of sense ... one post to say "here is a list of things that newcomers to the forum should take a look at".

It's better than the subforum idea, actually - less clutter and "different things" to worry about!

GaJ

Archived