if i practice guitar 3-5 hours per day

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

3-5 hours a day is a lot for an amateur, maybe average for a professional. (I've seen professional advice that says that with any more than 4 hours, the law of diminishing returns sets in: you don't benefit from any more than that. But then I've also read of some insane people practising 8 hours a day. IMO, if you enjoy it, do it for as long as you can stand it. When it gets boring, stop.)

That many hours a day on the guitar will, at least, get your fingers quicker and more supple - ie purely as a result of the physical exercise.

How much you learn about music (how good a musician you become) depends, as the others suggest, on what exactly you're practising.

It's easy to get up to shredding speed while playing garbage, basically (or just practising scales). That's not music.

Your ambition should be not be to get quicker, but to get better. Forget "quicker": speed improves anyway, whatever it is you're playing. So focus on other stuff.

The others may disagree, but IMO it doesn't matter too much what you practise, as long as it's varied - lots of different musical activities including listening - and focussed on particular tasks.

• Members

I practice the amount of hours I do because I have to. Not because I have any particular goal in mind. I do have goals, but they're kinda beside the point. I play because I love to play. I practice because of this logic stream:

-Playing is fun.

-Playing is more fun if I'm better at it.

-If I practice I get better.

-If I get better, it's more fun.

-If it's more fun, I want to do it more.

-If I do it more, I get better.

....etc.

• Members

Don't practise. Play. Until you have to practise something 'cos it sucks. Then, practise it till you can play it. Stop practising. Play. Rinse and repeat.

I'm right with this.

I've never practised. I've always just played.

To me, "practice" sounds like hard work, or boredom. "Play" sounds like fun.

The point being, the end result is the same if not better. 3-5 hours of "playing" may well give better results than 3-5 hours of "practising".

That's a word game, of course. It's a matter of being engaged in what you're doing. That's what counts. Idle practice, while thinking about something else, or wishing you were somewhere else, is pointless.

Look at how kids play, they're totally absorbed. That's how you should be when you "practise". That's why I always like to think of it as "play", with everything that implies.

• Members

You are a noob. You've made intermediate progress in a very narrow zone. Fuzzy :rawk:

You insist that's all you care about. A fine educator once told me, " a teacher's job is to bring out what's already there." I'm not a professional teacher so I have little encouragement for you. Not trying to discourage anyone either. Check this little girl out:

IN21lcvIsvM

I don't know how or what she practices or how long since when but with this one clip she has achieved a very high level of musicality. Technique, articulation, feel, proportion, I daresay all the relevant criteria for performance of that bit. I'd even say most cover bands would be happy to have a guitarist that good.

Carry on.

• Members

well as for above I have always played but rarely pracitced. I think to improve i need to actually learn/practice.

My pracice wil vary I have so many books.

-Finger work

-scale work

-music theory

-technique work- riffs, finger tapping, apregios etc..

-play/create song

-play/learn others songs

-fingerpicking

-blues

erc..

• Members

- Good teachers

- musicology

What exactly kind of musician do you want to be?

I cant afford a teacher. I teach myself via books though.

I want to be able to

1. Listen to a song and be able to work out chords and tab easily on guitar by ear

2. Be able to play along technically and creatively to any track/backing track

3. Skill to be able to play most songs and hardest guitar tabs

4. Be able to create ideas that come into my head onto guitar/tab. I often get musical ideas/sounds but cant make them on guitar at all or without lots of expermination.

5. To create amazing original instrumental music using my guitar.

• Members

I cant afford a teacher. I teach myself via books though.

I want to be able to

1. Listen to a song and be able to work out chords and tab easily on guitar by ear

2. Be able to play along technically and creatively to any track/backing track

3. Skill to be able to play most songs and hardest guitar tabs

4. Be able to create ideas that come into my head onto guitar/tab. I often get musical ideas/sounds but cant make them on guitar at all or without lots of expermination.

Well people have started at 20 and and made it to the top of the pile. long fanatical hours IMO. You used the architecture analogy and how ignorant you'd actually be. I hope you see also that doing it has to happen very slowly, step by carefully planned no shortcut step, from the ground up. And also and most importantly, from millennia of accumulated knowhow?

You've got a great body of work cut out. Take care you don't get ahead of yourself. It's its own reward. Been there.

• Members

Write, write, write, and write some more. Our own Jeremy Green writes great instrumental music for example, and plays them with great technical execution. I bet he wrote lots of songs to get to where he is today.

• Members

Practice ear training, particularly identification of these intervals: 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, and 7ths - with proper distinction of minor vs. major vs. diminished vs. augmented intervals.

Practice ear training. Write your own lines and practice them with metronome.

Practice ear training. Learn how to transcribe.

Write, write, write, and write some more. Our own Jeremy Green writes great instrumental music for example, and plays them with great technical execution. I bet he wrote lots of songs to get to where he is today.

Seems I need and would be well invested in a serious ear training program!!! Above all else atm tbh...I say my ears are my biggest weakness. Yet music is all ears so thats a big flaw to have. Im a mathematician in life. I learned guitar using maths. translate tabs onto fretboard, notes onto fretboards.. I have never really used my ears just my maths skills.

I guess I should spend a lot of time on my ''ears''.

• Members

I practice the amount of hours I do because I have to. Not because I have any particular goal in mind. I do have goals, but they're kinda beside the point. I play because I love to play. I practice because of this logic stream:

-Playing is fun.

-Playing is more fun if I'm better at it.

-If I practice I get better.

-If I get better, it's more fun.

-If it's more fun, I want to do it more.

-If I do it more, I get better.

....etc.

This is the way I look at it, too. I love practicing. I love having my hands on the guitar. Playing is great, too, and obviously the point of it all, but practicing helps me a better musician and helps me eventually be able to play things I can't play now. I forget who said it, but I always liked the quote "Practice, practice, practice. Then forget all that and go play." The point isn't to not practice, it's to keep the end in mind and be clear on the distinction between the two.

I wish I had spent 3-5 hours a day practicing when I was younger and had time to do it, I'd be a much better player. I'm lucky to get half an hour, now, but I certainly value every minute and try to make the most of it.

• Members

This is the way I look at it, too. I
love
practicing. I love having my hands on the guitar. Playing is great, too, and obviously the point of it all, but practicing helps me a better musician and helps me
eventually
be able to play things I can't play now. I forget who said it, but I always liked the quote "Practice, practice, practice. Then forget all that and go play." The point isn't to
not
practice, it's to keep the end in mind and be clear on the distinction between the two.

I wish I had spent 3-5 hours a day practicing when I was younger and had time to do it, I'd be a much better player. I'm lucky to get half an hour, now, but I certainly value every minute and try to make the most of it.

im unemployed atm apart from video games I have all the free time in the world

• Members

You said you see the building but know little about it. No insult intended. It means just that. Absence/lack of knowledge.

right thats my problem and what I need to work on.

I mean because I skipped the foundations of music, theory and guitar its like I missed all that info.

So i be playing songs and not know what Im really playing or why im playing or why it sounds like this. I have a small grasp eg. Oh this solo is in em pentatonic and the rhythmn/chords are in G. etc...

Know what I mean?

I think to be a better player perhaps I need to.

1. Understand the foundations and theory to know what I am doing not just be doing it cause it sounds ok?

2. Imrpove my ears so I can hear things better musically.

• Members

right thats my problem and what I need to work on.

I mean because I skipped the foundations of music, theory and guitar its like I missed all that info.

So i be playing songs and not know what Im really playing or why im playing or why it sounds like this. I have a small grasp eg. Oh this solo is in em pentatonic and the rhythmn/chords are in G. etc...

Know what I mean?

I think to be a better player perhaps I need to.

1. Understand the foundations and theory to know what I am doing not just be doing it cause it sounds ok?

2. Imrpove my ears so I can hear things better musically.

Course I know. I like to say ignorance is infinite. There's missing knowledge in all of us.

Ask the guys how many neopolitan sixth chords there are and how do you setup, voice, and resolve them in 4 part chorale style?

I was even taught this but its just fog now, lol.

• Members

electrotar - have you been heeding my advice?

How many songs have you completed using your ears as I suggested? What do you think of the software "Transcribe!"?

If you can understand what my comment has to do with this discussion you are on your way.

Your ears will not improve themselves you know. No book will help you with this.

• Members

Course I know. I like to say ignorance is infinite. There's missing knowledge in all of us.

Ask the guys how many neopolitan sixth chords there are and how do you setup, voice, and resolve them in 4 part chorale style?

I was even taught this but its just fog now, lol.

ha I once studied enginering university level maths. Now I look at it and im like wtf!!! I was 18 and I could do this! now I look at it and im like wtf. I cant even remember how basic trigonometry works.

Its actually scary how ''dumb'' ive become or is it just the memory forgets what it does not use? And would recall again easily? My younger self was far superior and intelligent to my current self. Or maybe he was just doing it and now im not.

• Members

electrotar - have you been heeding my advice?

How many songs have you completed using your ears as I suggested? What do you think of the software "Transcribe!"?

If you can understand what my comment has to do with this discussion you are on your way.

Your ears will not improve themselves you know. No book will help you with this.

I wasnt sure what I was meant to do with transcibe. I have albeton live and the other guy said all I was to do was slow the songs down. I presume to work out/hear the chords/tabs easier.

Is this what you were suggesting for me to do?

Archived