Post your Axe FX Setups

Aaron SS

• Members

My FX setup would be a picture of a laptop :)

I use Ableton Live as a host for Guitar Rig 3, and it connects to the Gibson RIP interface that's designed to work with Dark Fire.

I also have a second setup when playing techno gigs in Germany - it's just an AdrenaLinn with MIDI being fed by an MPC, and the outs going directly into the mixer. Very minimalist, but very effective.

BTW I've heard a lot of opinions on the Axe FX - everything from praise that borders on idolatry to "I really liked it at first, but now I'm kinda less impressed." Care to elaborate on what you think about it? I'm very curious.

And thanks for posting the picture!!

• Members

I feel like the Axe FX is a piece of equipment that you need to have an open mind about. If you buy it expecting each amp sim to nail the tone of its suggest amp then it's probably not for you. The models are close and most sound great but they all take work to get right like most gear. For this into looking for easy and quick great tone it's probably not for them but for those into deep editing, tweaking and working towards a great sound its irreplaceable. It offers an extensive list of features and the versatility that offers me something that I've never found in any other piece of gear.

• Members

It sure looked awfully nice, all of the demos were stunning with the mixture of both guitar-ish bits and the synth-like bits but the big unit was around $2000 USD - a little hard to justify.

I thought about it and thought about it and after hearing Bill Rupperts' astonishing VG99 demos I was sold on that (besides, I got the VG, GK3 and FC300 for $1400, I just didn't have an extra $600 for the AxeFX).

Maybe when the first generation AxeFX units sell I can pick one up used.

• Members

P6180035.jpg

Pretty basic, I have my Standard going to the QSC HPR122i. I have a few pedals out in front.... Boss TU-2 tuner, volume pedal, Boss Monte Allums SD-1, and a Boss RC-2 Loop Station.

I've been shying away from getting a foot controller, I'd rather wait until Fractal releases theirs. That's why I'm still using the SD-1 for either boosting or putting dirty lead stuff over a clean loop.

• Members

Here is my setup:

• Furman PL-Pro Series II Power Conditioner

• Mesa/Boogie 20/20 Stereo Power Amp

• TC Electronic G-Major Multi-Effects Processor

• ART Pro Audio 343 Dual Channel 15-Band EQ

• Rolls RFX93s PathWork Switcher (out for repair)

• Fractal Axe-FX

• Soldano SP-77 Series II Preamp (USA 1992)

• Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (1989)

RackAmp01.jpg

It may be overkill.

• Members

i've since upgraded to a Line6 X2 XDR65 wireless, but otherwise my setup hasn't changed.. cabinet is a buzzbomb 2x12 ported cab. or sometimes i use a g-flex 2x12 , depending on my mood.

3425395391_144fdb8966_b.jpg

here's a short demo vid i made showing some sounds i get out of it.

[YOUTUBE]snbKmiSI0lw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

i've since upgraded to a Line6 X2 XDR65 wireless, but otherwise my setup hasn't changed.. cabinet is a buzzbomb 2x12 ported cab. or sometimes i use a g-flex 2x12 , depending on my mood.

Oh, yeah! I have his old wireless set up, too!

• Members

I don't have a good pic of my setup yet as I'm waiting to get a head/rack case and then mount it all that way; but the way the signal is ran; it gives incredible amounts of versatility.

I'm running guitar -> wireless -> AxeFX Input

AxeFX Loop Send to Axess Electronics BS2 Input

BS2 Main Out to Bogner XTC Classic Input

BS2 ISO'd Out to Egnater M4 Preamp

Bogner FX Send to Axess Electronics GRX4 Loop 4 Input

Egnater M4 Output to GRX4 Loop 4 Return

GRX4 Output to AxeFX Loop Return

AxeFX Output to Bogner XTC FX Return

With this setup, I can use any combination of tones from the Bogner, Egnater or AxeFX and by having the GRX4 in the loop of the AxeFX, I can assign the FX Loop anywhere in the grid, giving me the ability to have pre and post effects for the GRX4 connected preamps.

I can also leave out the FX Loop from the Grid and strictly use the AxeFX thru the Bogner power section.

With the Preamps running into Loop 4 of the GRX4 , when the Loop4 is on, the Egnater Preamp is engaged, when Loop4 is off, the Bogner preamp section is engaged.

A GCX may be a better alternative for this sort of rig, but I like that the GRX4 doesn't take up a rack space.

Only issue that I currently have is that with this setup, the RED channel on the XTC and high gain channels on the Egnater have more hiss and noise than I would like - I've read several posts about this sort of thing on the Fractal Forums, but haven't quite figured out what the problem is yet or how to fix it. Clean and lower gain tones are very quiet though.

I'm thinking that it's because of something to do with line level vs. instrument level jacks on the back of the AxeFX, but still need to dive in further to find a total solution.

I'm using a Ground Control Pro to control it all and an Axess Electronics AC-8 to control the channel switching/standby/boosts on the Bogner.

• Members

My FX setup would be a picture of a laptop
:)

I use Ableton Live as a host for Guitar Rig 3, and it connects to the Gibson RIP interface that's designed to work with Dark Fire.

I also have a second setup when playing techno gigs in Germany - it's just an AdrenaLinn with MIDI being fed by an MPC, and the outs going directly into the mixer. Very minimalist, but very effective.

BTW I've heard a lot of opinions on the Axe FX - everything from praise that borders on idolatry to "I really liked it at first, but now I'm kinda less impressed." Care to elaborate on what you think about it? I'm very curious.

And thanks for posting the picture!!

The design and feature set is very similar to the TC Fireworx, same mod matrix as well, with the addition of the preamp modelling and a few extra features, it seems that few people have made a comparison between the two.

I wonder, was the creator of Axe FX also involved in the development of the Fireworx?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

At the moment, I'm running it straight into an AER alpha, and it sounds fantastic
:)

I noticed you're an FX forum dweller... out of curiosity, are you just running guitar -> Axe -> amp, or are running some of your other FX with it? I've still got a few boost/drive pedals around, but I tend to just use the Axe on its own and do everything within the box. But then, I'm not exactly a big FX kinda guy. :idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived