Battleship

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Game of skill, or of blind-ass luck?

I just played a few games against the computer, and it really seems like there is just no way to apply any kind of stretegy.

Very minimal strategy, but obviously you don't go jumping from one side to the other side of your opponent's board right after you hit.

• Members

Although I love statistics as much as the next geek, I'm going to ignore that part of the mystery and just remind you that you MUST slap your forehead and say in a loud voice "you sunk my BATTLESHIP!" when this actually occurs. Do not do it on the other ships, ONLY the battleship. THAT is how you play the game correctly. (*)

Dig

(*) inexplicably, this is excluded from the printed instructions to the game

• Members

One of my strategies is to never place an entire ship against a wall. I think that people assume that at least one ship will be positioned like that. And that's usually the case.

Another good strategy is to place ships together in ways that may make the other player think that they sunk a larger ship than they actually did sink.

God I hate Battleship.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

I think in most variants you have to call sinks

get this, in salvo (the original game) you can't place pieces contiguously!! (kills the "phatom ship" gambit for good or ill)

I mean if you place a 2-hole ship facing the side of another ship and they get a hit on the other ship before hitting the holes on the 2-hole ship then they think that they have sunk a 3-hole ship. Placing ships together in weird ways can create lots of confusion.

Or are you saying that you're supposed to call what type of ship that your opponent sinks?

• Members

Are we talking about the Milton Bradley cheap plastic parts battleship game that I'm thinking of? I always thought of it as being so self explanitory that the intructions within the box would be incorrect when put up against the sheer number of people using rules concieved entirely by logic.

If not, I'm in the wrong place :)

• Members

I have another strategy. When on offense, devise a way to randomly guess squares (when guessing is appropriate, obviously). Instead of allowing your silly brain to come up with guesses based on subconcious patterns and thought, roll a couple of 10-sided (or whatever) dice to help you form a guess. I bet that one could get more hits that way.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

If anyone is looking just to strentch their coding muscles, it'd prob be a good one to slap together various alg and run them against one another...somebody has probably done it as a university class project (we did 3D 4x4 Tic Tac Toe for our algs class in thee way-back)

Knowing how to play some of these games well takes all of the fun out of it!

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

roll a couple of 10-sided (or whatever) dice

BWOOP! BWOOP! BWOOP!

Role-playing geek alert!

Role-playing geek alert!

Role-playing geek alert!

Release the HipDroids!

... and don't ask my how I know what a d10 is.

• Members

Anybody here use itsyourturn.com?

They have an online version of Stratego, which is a lot of fun.

I used to waste my day at work playing there with a buddy, before he went and got a real job. Now I spend that time here instead.

• Members

BTW - I just totally waxed the computer using the diagonals strategy. It seemed to work pretty well. Since the pieces have to be fall on the X or Y axis, diagonals will always cut across a piece. If you criss cross, you can always lose pieces in between.

• 6 years later...

Although I love statistics as much as the next geek, I'm going to ignore that part of the mystery and just remind you that you MUST slap your forehead and say in a loud voice "you sunk my BATTLESHIP!" when this actually occurs. Do not do it on the other ships, ONLY the battleship. THAT is how you play the game correctly. (*)

Dig

(*) inexplicably, this is excluded from the printed instructions to the game

Yeah, but it was in the commercials, and we all saw it on TV, so that must be how it's done - that's the way we always played it. :idk::lol:

Archived