Stratocasters must be an acquired taste

Acid Test

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

I have a Strat and two Gibsons. While I really enjoy playing the Flying V and the SG, I can't stand the Fender. It doesn't feel or sound right to me. What the hell am I missing?

I love Tele's...I hate strats. The volume knob is totally in the way and the tone never sounds as good as my Tele (I use Noiseless Tele neck pickups and a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge).

I have a nice Deluxe Fat Strat that my wife bought me as an engagement present, but I can't play the damn thing because my hand keeps knocking the volume knob and by the end of a song my volume drops by half. I also hate the out of phase positions.

I'm going to get a new pickguard, have a three way switch installed and get rid of the middle pickup, the middle tone knob and move the volume knob down.

I currently use Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Solo pickups in the neck and middle position and a Duncan JB in the bridge.

I'll lose the middle pickup, keep the neck as it is and drop in a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge.

• Members

Sometimes when I play my son's Les Paul, I feel the same way. I like the way strats fell with a strap. It does seem like you have to work harder to get a good tone. When you get it right (pickups you like, a good set up, strings you like, through a good amp etc.) there's nothing better.

• Members

I have noticed how mysterious the strat can be to guys who play mostly humbucker guitars. I am a humbucker guy and the problem is mainly with the amount of gain we use with humbuckers. They can handle a lot more than single coils.

I think the key with single coils is to use more volume than gain. Overdrives should be used to add some bite, but be careful of the fizz. Anyhow, that's what I am discovering.

• Members

I have been playing for 23 years and I have played just about every style of guitar at one time or another and I always come back to the Strat. For me it's the neck and the curves.......man I love the curves! My current fav is my Big Apple Hardtail, it has 2 humbuckers and a fixed bridge. I don't use #2 and #4 positions much, I should prob change it to a 3 way switch. Man all those curves AND a 3 way!

• Members

Strats are an enigma to me...I hear great tones from them (smashing pumpkins, etc) but I've never played one where I felt inspired by it...For the longest time, I thought I was a Gibson guy because of this distaste for strats, and then I found the tele...:cool:

• Members

Im a single coil freak. I get just exactly the tone I want. I love my strat! Its my main guitar. I play that, a tele, and a Hamer Strat.

I will always be a strat guy, just can't help it. Its good that we don't all like the same thing. Would be boring if we did.

• Members

I've read many time that Strats are harder to play. I don't see it. Whenever I play a Les Paul that ridiculous heel drives me crazy. Much more difficult to play. Great tone, but I prefer strats for playability, comfort, and tone. On the other hand my SG plays incredible.

Like someone said earlier, If we all played the same stuff it would be boring!:cool:

• Members

I used to hate strats. Then I hurt my back and had to let go of playing the Les Paul. I tried heaps of different guitars, spent tonnes of money and now I'm on a Jap Strat and I'll never look back! When I first got it I didn't like the pickups so I changed them and know it really goes off! The huge amount of tones I get out of it is fantastic. I love it to bits!

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

i love my teles, never loved a strat.

i do, however, love my Burns marquee.

kills a strat easy.

How can one guitar "kill" another one.

Different guitars make different noises, in the hands of different people. One is not necessarily better.... or are you trying to justify a purchase ?

• Members

nothing beats a strat!

well that is if everything is dialed in right.

thats just my opinion and i am a little biased, because out of the last 17 years ive been playing im usually always playing a strat. i do purchase the occasional LP, hollowbody, or shred guitar for variety - but even im usually playing the strat(s) 99% of the time!

theres just a complexity in single coils that humbuckers cant match. sure, if you use the same setting the humbucker will always sound fatter and drive an amp harder - but when set right theres just alot more "tones within the tone" of a strat and you can dial the amp in to get the sound you want. a strat only sounds thin if you dont tweak things. through a good quality amp they can be dialed in to sound nice & chunky.

also, whenever i play an LP it just doesntfeel like home. even though its got that beefy neck the feel just seems too slinky to me. anyway, im sure its the opposite to guys who are LP guys. thats how life goes

i have a guitar mag where slash is interviewd and the interviewer was asking him something about him using a strat to layer a few tunes on velvet revolver CD. its not that old, maybe a few months slash was saying he loves strats but they just dont feel right. he said something like a strat dialed in right is the perfect rock'n'roll tone, but they just feel too far left-field to his playing preferences so he always grabs what hes used to

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

nothing beats a strat!

well that is if everything is dialed in right.

thats just my opinion and i am a little biased, because out of the last 17 years ive been playing im usually always playing a strat. i do purchase the occasional LP, hollowbody, or shred guitar for variety - but even im usually playing the strat(s) 99% of the time!

theres just a complexity in single coils that humbuckers cant match. sure, if you use the same setting the humbucker will always sound fatter and drive an amp harder - but when set right theres just alot more "tones within the tone" of a strat and you can dial the amp in to get the sound you want. a strat only sounds thin if you dont tweak things. through a good quality amp they can be dialed in to sound nice & chunky.

+1

Totally agree that strats, when dialled in correctly, are hard to beat. I know at the end of the day if you like the feel of a tele, LP or JM etc, you just have to go with one of them but I personally like the feel of a strat and I cannot live without the tonal variety my strats give me. I have a couple of teles and LPs and love them too but in comparison to strats they both have a limited palette of tones and the strat fills the void between teles and LPs very well indeed. I'm not fussed on whether people think they are boring or common, I know what I like and I like strats :p

Archived