Stratocasters must be an acquired taste

Acid Test

• Members

That may be but, I have acquired the the taste. I have had several but like my current American Deluxe Ash the best so far. I still play my other guitars all the time. I like a variety of tones.

Nice clip mst3k :D

• Members

I don't understand why people feel the need to cordon themselves off to any one type of guitar. I like all the guitars I have. Strats are great, so are Teles, so is my LP, so is my RG. I play them all equally, and turn to them each in kind for what they do best.

• Members

For years, I played guitars with Tune-O-Matic bridges, so the Gibson style was the only thing I was comfortable with. I would pick up a Strat or a Floyd-equipped guitar and it felt like something was "missing" under my right hand. Then one day I picked up a Kramer with a Floyd and it felt right for some strange reason. Now it doesn't matter anymore. I can play comfortably on either and I can't explain why. I still don't like sitting down with a V-shaped guitar or a Rhoads, though.

• Members

Originally posted by PowerTube

For years, I played guitars with Tune-O-Matic bridges, so the Gibson style was the only thing I was comfortable with. I would pick up a Strat or a Floyd-equipped guitar and it felt like something was "missing" under my right hand. Then one day I picked up a Kramer with a Floyd and it felt right for some strange reason. Now it doesn't matter anymore. I can play comfortably on either and I can't explain why. I still don't like sitting down with a V-shaped guitar or a Rhoads, though.

A Gibson V is just as strange to play sitting. Works best by placing the center of the V on your right thigh and holding the neck a little higher - still not the best guitar to play while sitting.

• Members

Thats funny because I honestly have a tough time playing anything like an LP or SG, and a strat feels like I'm putting on a worn baseball glove when I pick on up. I think it just depends on what you started with or what you've played with.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I've never found Fender necks (having tried quite a few, and appreciating that there's quite a range) comfortable for some reason.

But most of the guitars I like are based more on the Strat than on an LP.

I know exactly what you mean. Having grown up playing Fenders exclusively, when I play something else it feels so easy in comparison. I'll always play Strats though, they're just so versatile. I don't really like humbuckers to be honest.

GASing for a Tele or a JM at the moment (That be your fault Zhivago :mad: ) but can't even vaguely justify it. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Thats funny because I honestly have a tough time playing anything like an LP or SG, and a strat feels like I'm putting on a worn baseball glove when I pick on up. I think it just depends on what you started with or what you've played with.

But I don't get that either. I played on an Ibanez with a super-skinny Wizard neck for a decade before switching to an LP Custom, which has a baseball bat for a neck. No problems.

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

Did/does Gibson make a single coil only guitar? If so, does it play or sound like a Strat?

Gibson made a Mustang copy. That's all that comes to mind for me at least. So, not really.

Strats are nice, but I never really liked the feel of the body. I switched to teles, but really prefer Jazzmasters and such. They just feel right and have that great Cold War charm.

• Members

I love strats and teles. I love long scale guitars and single coils because of the clarity and responsiveness. I am happy that I don't have to choose between them.

I love how a good tele can gash like a chainsaw and I love how it hangs just right on my body.

I love the vibrato bridge and womanly curves of the strat. I love the sound of a good strat bridge pickup.

I don't like short scale Gibson necks. My hands get too bunched up if I get above the 12th fret. I think humbuckers sound great in Fender style bodies and wood. The long scale necks helps humbuckers sound better too.

• Members

My main guitar is a strat 57 reissue my brother gave me. It's like butta especially after the previous guitar was a tiesco del rey hollow body.

After playing the strat for about 13 years now, nothing else feels quite right. I keep thinking I need a les paul but it just doesn't feel right to me. Im sure it's because my hands have been trained around the strat.

Archived