Lying about your age in a band situation. I got busted.

corso

• Members

Did you guys know that bars check ID's of bandmembers before they let them play? We have four 20 year old guys in our band who can't play a bunch of places because we aren't all 21. How dumb is that?

If I shave everyday, I can easily pass for 16. Actually that kind of sucks :(

• Members
Originally posted by The*Ataris

Did you guys know that bars check ID's of bandmembers before they let them play? We have four 20 year old guys in our band who can't play a bunch of places because we aren't all 21. How dumb is that?

If I shave everyday, I can easily pass for 16. Actually that kind of sucks
:(

It won't suck when you're over 30;)

• Members

In 1996 I met the band BUSH on their Sixteen stone tour,
I later found out during a conversation with Nigel Pulsford. That he was 41 years old then...
He said this was his "last gasp" and he wasn't going to say or do anything that might screw it up.

Guess it worked. cuz all the kiddies I talked to thought he was like 20 something.

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

In 1996 I met the band BUSH on their Sixteen stone tour,

I later found out during a conversation with Nigel Pulsford. That he was 41 years old then...

He said this was his "last gasp" and he wasn't going to say or do anything that might screw it up.

Amen, brother...although, I am getting the impression, from talking to some label reps, that while they will always need to sell to 13 year old girls, it is getting less "ageist" than it used to be...partially because there are now lots of genuine old people playing rock'n'roll, and also because, sadly, they don't expect you to put out more than 2 or three records anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by corso

Amen, brother...although, I am getting the impression, from talking to some label reps, that while they will always need to sell to 13 year old girls, it is getting less "ageist" than it used to be...partially because there are now lots of genuine old people playing rock'n'roll, and also because, sadly, they don't expect you to put out more than 2 or three records anyway.

If you're older, you're not likely to get a huge deal based on nothing but a demo, but who wants to go that route anyway. Making a great record and gettin street hype is the way to do it.

• Members

Yeah. You have to make a great finished record on your own, but as far as I am concerned, if you are able to make music you are happy with on that level, everything else is gravy, anyway....build your own studio, put out your own records, don't ask for anyone's {censored}in' permission or validation to do your thing.

• Members

At 24 I'm the baby in my band. The drummer is in his 30's and the other three are in their 40's. Our singer/conga owner is 47, but usually passes for 25-30. I look at these dumbass twentysomething bottle blondes falling all over him and just sort of laugh to myself. If they had any idea that he's old enough to be their father, they'd freak.

• Members

I used to be really age-conscious when searching for bandmates, but I'm not underage to drink anymore ;).

Seriously, I'm about to turn 25 and I'm the youngest in my band by far. Which is ok by me - who am I to turn down a 38 year old bass player who spent 3 years in a jazz conservatory studying music who could possibly put Claypool to shame on a technical level? Or a thirty-ish drummer who's really into new sounds and experimentation but happens to have 15-20 years of playing experience? I feel lucky to have found them - they've been playing together for three years and decided to pool their considerable talent with my considerable...volume? :D

You can't buy that kind of experience and I'm hardly worried about the whole 'image' thing - more than a few outstanding bands were way past the whole 16-25 age group that most people think a rock band should be comprised of. Led Zeppelin and Tool were in their late twenties when they began their rise, and no doubt their success was due in part to the fact that they were older and more experienced.

At least that's the bull{censored} story I'm going to speil out once my last golden year in the target demographic is over with :p

• Members

My girlfriend let it slip that I used to date the drummer of my old band. Became a situation when my good buddy and fellow bandmate was CURRENTLY dating her. Yikes. Well my band don't exist anymore but we made cool music while it lasted, before it turned into a soap opera rock band. Geeze, F'n Fleetwood Mac was my favorite name to call us toward the end.

• Members

Man, and to think I grew in facial hair so I wouldn't get carded at bars anymore!

A fine beer: $4
The cost to play Journey's "Faithfully" on the jukebox: $0.50
Drinking, Playing and Mingling with College Girls in Bars when you are 18: PRICELESS

• Members

As long as you don't look like a geezer it shouldn't matter I guess. I'm 31 and most people mistake me for being 25 or 26 all the time. As long as you aren't balding, fat or dress like you work in a cubicle it can't be that hard to get away with.

• Members

I actually forgot about Maynard from Tool, he's older than me by a good bit...we hung out in the same circles in the late '80's, maybe '90 or '91, then he moved west. But I thought he was "old" then...he had been in the army and stuff. :D

First time I met him he was wearing red leather pants and was a punk bass player. He's gay, too, if you were wondering. At least he was then.

• Members

i find the whole age thing and the thought that "rock and roll is the young persons game" {censored}ing lame.
im 22, and i spent a good 5 years trying to get a band together, jamming with as many people as i could, and i couldnt find anyone under 27 who "got it". it was really very frustruating.
im now in a band with a bunch of guys a bit older than me (our drummer is eldest at 40), and i really dont give a {censored}. i get along with them better than most people my own age, and the music we make is out of this world.
look back thru your record collection, and im sure you will find that the majority of your favourite records where made when the artsits where in their late 20's or older.
usually by the time someones in their late 20's they gotten over the whole "i wanna be a rockstar" thing, and just want to make good {censored}ing music. and really thats what its all about.
like anything in life, having a good head for music or an understaning for good song writing takes time. its gotta marinate for awhile.

• Members
Originally posted by Blungo

I'll bew fifty one next month. I think i'm going to start lying and saying i'm 49.
:p

Whoa....I thought you were a little too mature to be a twenty-five year old laotian she-male, there goes are record deal:mad: :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by 5macca

i find the whole age thing and the thought that "rock and roll is the young persons game" {censored}ing lame.

im 22, and i spent a good 5 years trying to get a band together, jamming with as many people as i could, and i couldnt find anyone under 27 who "got it". it was really very frustruating.

im now in a band with a bunch of guys a bit older than me (our drummer is eldest at 40), and i really dont give a {censored}. i get along with them better than most people my own age, and the music we make is out of this world.

look back thru your record collection, and im sure you will find that the majority of your favourite records where made when the artsits where in their late 20's or older.

usually by the time someones in their late 20's they gotten over the whole "i wanna be a rockstar" thing, and just want to make good {censored}ing music. and really thats what its all about.

like anything in life, having a good head for music or an understaning for good song writing takes time. its gotta marinate for awhile.

Amazing post. As someone who just turned 28, I'm feeling that I'm about to have a resurgence, one that marries the idealistic, willy-nilly writing of my late teens and early twenties with the {censored} I've learned and experienced since then.

I never really had the "I wanna be a rockstar" thing and still don't. Problem is, everyone I've ever played with has it, including the good friends I play with now who all (but one) have great careers that would nearly equal what a rockstar would make...they still think it's about the image. oh well.

• Members

I was shocked when I found out that Doug Pinnick of Kings' X is in his fifties. It didn't make me like the band any less, but I guess it challenged my preconceptions of how old you can be and still rock.

It never occurred to me to lie about my age (I'm 26 in two weeks) in matters relating to my band, but then I don't think I've ever been asked by anyone it would have mattered to. I get the impression that I feel younger than other people think I am.

• Members

Originally posted by 5macca

I do believe most of the guys in Can were in their 30s when they started doing their thing, so it's never too late, I suppose...

Archived