gigging with two small amps

aussieguitarnut

• Members

i've recently picked up two smaller amps which i'm really loving (blues junior and trace elliot velocette). i think 15 watt valve amps are the perfect power / volume for the stuff i do. they easily cover the volume i need miked up and i get the sizzle i'm after.

anyways - for fun i'm thinking of occasionally playing with both amps. everyone knows the bj - in any case i'm really digging it. the velo is class a - the same as the gibson ga15 or whatever. so just thinking whether i should go stereo from a stereo effect (delay or something), have them both taking the same signal through my effects, or switching between them (that wouldn't be too worthwhile i think). guitar wise i have a lp, aerodyne tele and a strat.

all in the name of good clean fun.

• Members

I played through my friend's stereo rig and thought it sounded excellent when he had a clean and relatively dry signal going to one amp and a dirtier signal with reverb in another. Even the fuzzier tones had some crisp and clear sound behind them with this setup. Give it a shot.

• Members

I'm going to try a dual setup with a Deluxe Reverb and an Ampeg Reverb O Jet II. Both have killer verb and trem.

I used to gig with a Tremoverb head with two 4x10 cabs and a Marshall Super Lead with a 4x12. Decidedly not small, but you will have to pay attention. It was an instrumental band so we didn't have to worry about vocals coming through.

• Members

I was thinking of doing something similar with a couple of Valve Juniors. What I found worked quite well with my current rig was using the VJ for a dirty, dry signal and the Twin for a cleaner signal for delays and so on. I split the signal using the stereo out on my DOD flanger to feed the VJ and the mono out on my DL-4 for the Twin.

What I planned to do eventually was to buy another VJ in place of the Twin and replace the 12ax7 preamp valve with a lower gain alternative (12au7 or 12ay7) so that I could run it loud enough but keep it clean.

Yes, it's two amps, but it won't take up any more space on stage than the Twin, and it will be a lighter, cheaper and more portable rig.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

:thu:

My signature sound.

I'm probably going to get a new, loud amp for the next guitar band, but the magic combo of cranked Princeton and Roland JC77 was the perfect sound for me for a long, long time.

that sounds great. how did you have them setup with your effects and stuff?

• Members

Originally posted by aussieguitarnut

that sounds great. how did you have them setup with your effects and stuff?

It was a super simple setup: guitar went into Zinky True Grit into Rocktron Austin Gold, into Princeton. Cable from second input on Princeton into Roland. Tweaked the knobs on the amps until I got nice sizzly distortion on top from the Princeton and loud, clean bass from the Roland. The ladies swooned with every E chord...

• Members

Originally posted by bobby yarrow

I loved gigging with 2 amps, a big one and a little satellite. The other guitar player in my band used a fender combo and a leslie, so it was 2 guitars and 4 amps.

Lot of stuff to carry around tho . . .

I used to use a Blues Jr. as a satellite. Lots of fun. Next year I'm going to go to four rigs, three of which will be multi-amp. They will be as follows:

1. Trace Elliot Trident 212 combo--has three channels, completely self-sufficient.

2. 1964 Fender Bandmaster (blonde) & BadCat Mini head into HeadBone into '64 Fender 212 cab. I'll keep the Mini dimed and use it as my lead channel.

3. Zinky Blue Velvet 25w head & THD UniValve into HeadBone into THD 212 cab. The Zinky's two channels will be set for clean and moderate OD, and the THD will be set up with ECC803s and 6V6s and dimed for a lead sound.

4. Blues Jr. & Valve Jr. with an A/B box. The Valve Jr. will be dimed.

• Members

Originally posted by aussieguitarnut

i've recently picked up two smaller amps which i'm really loving (blues junior and trace elliot velocette). i think 15 watt valve amps are the perfect power / volume for the stuff i do. they easily cover the volume i need miked up and i get the sizzle i'm after.

anyways - for fun i'm thinking of occasionally playing with both amps. everyone knows the bj - in any case i'm really digging it. the velo is class a - the same as the gibson ga15 or whatever. so just thinking whether i should go stereo from a stereo effect (delay or something), have them both taking the same signal through my effects, or switching between them (that wouldn't be too worthwhile i think). guitar wise i have a lp, aerodyne tele and a strat.

all in the name of good clean fun.

Sure you can.

I use two amps onstage most of the time. I use a chorus pedal to split the signal.

• Members

I use a Blues Jr in a stereo rig with a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ being the second amp. I come out of my multi-fx board in stereo into the two amps and it sounds amazing. I use a lot of panning delays and spatial effects, as well as Roland GR33 guitar synth for some gigs, so playing in stereo really adds a lot.

Archived