It's That Time Again - What's In the Mail?

• Members

I am almost embarrassed to say - but the following pedals are on their way to me. What are you waiting on? :cool:

A couple Keeley Pedals

Two Pedalworx (Custom Order Only) Blues for Bobbie Pedals

Demeter Fuzzulator

Digitech EX-7 Expression Pedal

Boss FA-1 Clone from Hot Wire Audio

Tonebone Classic Distortion

MI Audio Tube Zone

Tonefactor Custom Shop Analogue Filter (Red Textured Enclosure)

:wave:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by capnbringdown

Right now, just a pedalboard. Hopefully, I can figure out a new amp to buy and have that on its way to me.

Fellow forumite dbx has steered me towards a Nova Star 5W Class A amp made by Mark Sampson. I have an inquiry in about the burgundy/cream tolexed one. Can't wait to hear one! :love:

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

Fellow forumite dbx has steered me towards a Nova Star 5W Class A amp made by Mark Sampson. I have an inquiry in about the burgundy/cream tolexed one. Can't wait to hear one!
:love:

The blues star looks kewl from them, but way out of my price range. I'll find something sooner or later, though.

• Members

Just got my Mu-Tron Wah:
...too damn late to crank it up tonight...
...the dogs have drifted off to sleep,
and you do NOT want to re-awake Blue Heelers...

I'm still waiting on the repaired
Keeley Delat prototype....I"m starting to wonder
about those folks in OK ....:eek:

• Members

I am almost embarrassed to say - but the following pedals are on their way to me. What are you waiting on?
:cool:

A couple Keeley Pedals

Two Pedalworx (Custom Order Only) Blues for Bobbie Pedals

Demeter Fuzzulator

Digitech EX-7 Expression Pedal

Boss FA-1 Clone from Hot Wire Audio

Tonebone Classic Distortion

MI Audio Tube Zone

Tonefactor Custom Shop Analogue Filter (Red Textured Enclosure)

:wave:

gayest gay voice "oh you thlut!!!"

I have a guytronix gilmore amplifier kit in the mail.

• Members

Originally posted by lefort_1

Just got my Mu-Tron Wah:

...too damn late to crank it up tonight...

...the dogs have drifted off to sleep,

and you do NOT want to re-awake Blue Heelers...

put a dirt pedal after it and use the volume as a boost. its a way cool boost as well..

• Members

Fellow forumite dbx has steered me towards a Nova Star 5W Class A amp made by Mark Sampson. I have an inquiry in about the burgundy/cream tolexed one. Can't wait to hear one!
:love:

Hi dee ho there Rev...got the Nova bug..ha! I had a lengthy reply post I just lost so I'll try to recap...

I'm not one to gush over gear but the Nova 5 is a winner. I always thought Mark Sampson's designs were at the top of the game: Matchless, Bad Cat, SMF, now Star amps...I too thought his tech was out of my price range...but I had a sweet opportunity come my way for the Nova so I jumped on it...If you are currently in the market for a small wattage
My experience to date with amps around this wattage include: Fender VibroChamp (6V6), Gibson Skylarks (6AQ5, 6BQ5) , Bad Cat MiniCat head (EL84). All nice sounding amps in their own way, and sound delicious cranked. However I've found it is difficult to achieve that same tone at "bedroom levels"... now I have to define this term for my situation. I have tight quarters in my house, my multipurpose room is between the kids room and the master...for me bedroom level is equivalent to a low TV and wouldn't have enough SPL to disturb either side...this is a problem because you start running into the physics of a speaker making any sound at all much less having any tone to it...I think I read its about 1/2 - 1 watt. This is where the Nova is a little different....

The cost of admission here is the Master control on the far right. The amp has two inputs: Input1(gain) works with volume, eq, and master; Input2(clean) works with volume, eq, and master. Somehow in this design the master seems to only affect the output to the speaker not the gain characteristics of the drive/volume settings. What this means is you can set the drive/volume to achieve the amount of dirt/clean you need and then back it down to lower listening levels with the master while still maintaining that cranked tone..it works REALLY well. I 've tried attenuators, pre/master setups, headphones into a mixer...all with compromises in tone or my experience of it...what's really cool about this amp is it has a body to the sound that is surprising full...it generates enough bass to tickle the receptors in your ears but not enough to annoy or be harmful...OK so it's good at bedroom levels, how about full on? While I was testing it wide open, the kids were watching TV downstairs...one came up and asked me to turn it down...now THAT's rock n roll!!!! Seriously it did fill the room quite well, and I'm sure would sound tasty mic'd up...I don't know how Mark Sampson tweeked this design but there is an immediacy and fidelity to this amp that makes you want to play, I've been having so much fun with it I haven't yet checked out the lineout and headphone features...it's great to finally be able to play cranked up on the volume late at night and not disturb but also nice to know I can also get that tone full up...BTW it seems to like pedals really well...the effective eq can help dial in the sweetness for singles and the mean for HBs...

Yeah, the Nova might be a little on the pricey side but when you consider how much we can spend on effectors especially dirt/od boxes to achieve an end it actually may be a good value in the long run...I see that this could become my buddy amp...Rev and I have chatted about the recipe for good tone stew...the Nova 5 serves up a tasty bowl...if you happen to find one in your neighborhood, do yourself a favor and check it out, you might find a way to bring one home with you...have fun!

:cool:

• Members

Stomping ground wahplate
Kent Armstrong HB sized p90's (from vintageclubber)
Leads (from dotdotdot)

Can't wait!!!The p90's are for my lp custom (I hate the pu's in it) and once I get the wahplate and leads I'll be able to get my pedalboard up and running.

Archived