It's That Time Again - What's In the Mail?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm waiting on my Ross Comp clone and Phase 90 clone from BYOC. I am also waiting on the parts to build my own super Q cry baby, selectable inductors red or yellow fasels, true bypass and a selection of sweep caps. :D

• Members
Originally posted by dbx

Hi dee ho there Rev...got the Nova bug..ha! I had a lengthy reply post I just lost so I'll try to recap...

I'm not one to gush over gear but the Nova 5 is a winner. I always thought Mark Sampson's designs were at the top of the game: Matchless, Bad Cat, SMF, now Star amps...I too thought his tech was out of my price range...but I had a sweet opportunity come my way for the Nova so I jumped on it...If you are currently in the market for a small wattage

My experience to date with amps around this wattage include: Fender VibroChamp (6V6), Gibson Skylarks (6AQ5, 6BQ5) , Bad Cat MiniCat head (EL84). All nice sounding amps in their own way, and sound delicious cranked. However I've found it is difficult to achieve that same tone at "bedroom levels"... now I have to define this term for my situation. I have tight quarters in my house, my multipurpose room is between the kids room and the master...for me bedroom level is equivalent to a low TV and wouldn't have enough SPL to disturb either side...this is a problem because you start running into the physics of a speaker making any sound at all much less having any tone to it...I think I read its about 1/2 - 1 watt. This is where the Nova is a little different....

The cost of admission here is the Master control on the far right. The amp has two inputs: Input1(gain) works with volume, eq, and master; Input2(clean) works with volume, eq, and master. Somehow in this design the master seems to only affect the output to the speaker not the gain characteristics of the drive/volume settings. What this means is you can set the drive/volume to achieve the amount of dirt/clean you need and then back it down to lower listening levels with the master while still maintaining that cranked tone..it works REALLY well. I 've tried attenuators, pre/master setups, headphones into a mixer...all with compromises in tone or my experience of it...what's really cool about this amp is it has a body to the sound that is surprising full...it generates enough bass to tickle the receptors in your ears but not enough to annoy or be harmful...OK so it's good at bedroom levels, how about full on? While I was testing it wide open, the kids were watching TV downstairs...one came up and asked me to turn it down...now THAT's rock n roll!!!! Seriously it did fill the room quite well, and I'm sure would sound tasty mic'd up...I don't know how Mark Sampson tweeked this design but there is an immediacy and fidelity to this amp that makes you want to play, I've been having so much fun with it I haven't yet checked out the lineout and headphone features...it's great to finally be able to play cranked up on the volume late at night and not disturb but also nice to know I can also get that tone full up...BTW it seems to like pedals really well...the effective eq can help dial in the sweetness for singles and the mean for HBs...

Yeah, the Nova might be a little on the pricey side but when you consider how much we can spend on effectors especially dirt/od boxes to achieve an end it actually may be a good value in the long run...I see that this could become my buddy amp...Rev and I have chatted about the recipe for good tone stew...the Nova 5 serves up a tasty bowl...if you happen to find one in your neighborhood, do yourself a favor and check it out, you might find a way to bring one home with you...have fun!

:cool:

Just ordered one Joe - sent you an email Bro - sorry I missed your call - let's chat this weekend! I ordered Black/Cream combo :eek:

The Demeter Amplification Fuzzulator just showed up - based on a 10 minute tryout - this bitch is a keeper. What a great day :cool:

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

Just ordered one Joe - sent you an email Bro - sorry I missed your call - let's chat this weekend! I ordered Black/Cream combo
:eek:

The Demeter Amplification Fuzzulator just showed up - based on a 10 minute tryout - this bitch is a keeper. What a great day

Star things rock! BIG TIME! He is GOOD!
Who you callin a bitch?
:D

• Members

For myself, right now I'm really only waiting for a refund for a pedal I bought over a month ago, but still haven't received. So far, all I've gotten is the runaround from the guy... :(

Last week, though, one of these arrived:

stl.jpg

I repaired and modified one for a customer not long ago, and decided to get one for myself as well. It's the same circuit as the ST-9, but way cheaper...

/Andreas

• Members

Looks at shoes....whistles.....
:p

Mother of God - are you guys trying to blow up my amp collection????
:mad:

Should come with a warning label - TURN AMP DOWN BEFORE ENGAGING FUZZULATOR!!!!

YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!
Mine has been modded for my bass.....SICK!!!!!!!!
:wave: :wave:
I wondered why our repairs had gone up!
:D :D

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

stl.jpg

I repaired and modified one for a customer not long ago, and decided to get one for myself as well. It's the same circuit as the ST-9, but
way
cheaper...

/Andreas

I'm jealous. I love the STL.:thu:

• Members

Just ordered one Joe - sent you an email Bro - sorry I missed your call - let's chat this weekend! I ordered Black/Cream combo

The Demeter Amplification Fuzzulator just showed up - based on a 10 minute tryout - this bitch is a keeper. What a great day

Hey now...I gave you big GAS sorry, I'm always nervous when someone makes such a purchase on my recommendation but I noticed in your gear forays that we have similarities in taste so I felt confident this would work out for you...to celebrate I fired up the Nova just to see if I spoke heresy...nope...the tone is within and the tone WILL set you free...

I looking forward to hearing about your experience with it...one thing to try is lineing out to one of your bigger amps...I'll try that this weekend... :D

Make sure to give the "tight" switch a flip on the Fuzzulator and hold on...

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

stl.jpg

I repaired and modified one for a customer not long ago, and decided to get one for myself as well. It's the same circuit as the ST-9, but
way
cheaper...

/Andreas

Nice. I've got an ST-9 that I got a great deal on and I love it. So much so that the only other dirt pedals I still have are an SD-9 and a modded TS-5.

For myself I've nothing in the mail but some parts. My GAS is well under control these days. :)

• Members

not guitar related, but the only thing in the post atm is a couple of books i ordered

schotts miscellany
schotts sporting miscellany
schotts food and wine miscellany

basically they are books full of useless information, about general things, sports and food (duh) most amusing to read though, and soon i shall have knowledge of all manner of useless facts

David

Archived