What style of music do you play?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of the bands I've played in have been fairly conventional rock music in various flavours, so my effects have been fairly basic and aimed towards getting "good" tones. Several of them are there to safisfy my own strange desires to make wacky noises which may or may not be wildly inappropriate to the music I play.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

Most of the bands I've played in have been fairly conventional rock music in various flavours, so my effects have been fairly basic and aimed towards getting "good" tones. Several of them are there to safisfy my own strange desires to make wacky noises which may or may not be wildly inappropriate to the music I play.

That about sums it up for me too!:thu:

• Members

I play Worship music (I'm a worship leader at my church), which is mainly rock based.

I also play in a funk/soul band.

I use my effects for getting good tones, nothing too crazy anymore.

• Members

Right now I play a blues/classic rock mix at blues jams I go to every week. I have a few effects: Keeley Compressor, Visual Sound H2), and a Dunlop wah - but lately I have been plugging straight into my amp. Although, I have GAS for a Koch Multitone II 100W combo...

• Members

What kind of music I pay just depends on who I'm playing with. I dabble in everything, but I'm not particularly good at ay of it. :)

I normally try to find effects that help me get "good" tone for what that's worth, but if they do something out of the ordinary then that's cool too.

• Members

Originally posted by bennoodle

What do you use your effects for?

Just to get a really 'good' tone?

or to get crazy sounds?

I'm really into making my guitar sound really psychedelic, which is obviously why i like effects, what about you lot?

i play slower, ambient type indie rock, that gets loud at points - like a Mogwai type thing, or Mono, or Low.

i use my effects to layer textures, and i have a looper that i use to harmonize parts with myself. they don't "write the songs" but they definitely add to the atmosphere quite a bit.

up to this point, i've kept my effects arsenal pretty lean, using only fuzz, 2 delays, tremolo and the looper.

• Members

I play in a country rock cover band. We do stuff like Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, "Sweet Home Alabama", "Keep your hands to yourself" "Mustang Sally"

We also do a lot of rock: "Jump" "Man In a Box" "Here I go Again"

We also do a lot of funk and R & B - "Brick House" "Superfreak" "Shake Your Booty" "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"

As much as I HATE playing "Mustang Sally" ... it fills up the dance floor EVERY time.... :rolleyes:

• Members

i play with a drummer and thats it.

we incorporate a tiny bit of samples & drum machine in our sound, but i rely mostly on live looping and pitch/delay effects to really fill in the sound.

he hits hard so i like to keep my amps LOUD.

its not your typical indie duo like DFA or lightning bolt, etc-

the songs have many more parts...much more quiet/heavy/fast/slow/etc...

not very mathy but a good amount of syncopation.

we plan on recording a 7" or full LP this summer : )

• Members

Roots rock and Blues mostly...

I use various dirt boxes (COT50, Blue Boy, Timmy - stacked or on their own) , Clyde wah sparingly (I like to park it for different OD flavors), DLS Chorus~Vib for Magnatone-style Vibrato tones, and Jacques Prisoner for Echoplexy slapback stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

we incorporate a tiny bit of samples & drum machine in our sound, but i rely mostly on live looping and pitch/delay effects to really fill in the sound.

sounds good man,

i can see youve got a big setup,

any tunes on the internet?

• Members

Rootsy rock stuff ala The Replacements, The Band, Wilco, Gillian Welch.

I use pedals to spice things up on occasion, and because there are few things in life more satisfying than 10 minutes of feedback and delay noise after an acoustic country ballad.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

This sounds really cool. I would like to hear it.

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

there are few things in life more satisfying than 10 minutes of feedback and delay noise after an acoustic country ballad.

yeah,

my band is electro shoegaze noise stuff, and the last gig we palyed was with 3 acoustic acts,

we headlined,

it was quality,

• Members

Originally posted by bennoodle

sounds good man,

i can see youve got a big setup,

any tunes on the internet?

yeah!

:mad:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1233045&highlight=forumites

Originally posted by sonaboy

i play slower, ambient type indie rock, that gets loud at points - like a Mogwai type thing, or Mono, or Low.

you and me both, brotha.

Archived