which flangers can be made to self oscillate?

• Members

Originally posted by puddinstone

Not quite in the same league but...considering the price of a BF-2 and the price of a Memory Lane....

Basically what I'm saying about the BF-2 is....

Flanger....bad....

Osolation....good....

These things are always subjective ... if you like it that's none of my business obviously - I just have a differing view of that pedals all around worth. If the guy wants a Flanger that will self oscillate and the oscillation is all he wants then perhaps the BF-2 is the way to go - that's why I said go grab one ASAP ... what I was trying to get at underlying my slight sarcasm was that if you want a good sounding flanger that also self oscillates then the BF-2 would not be on my list of suggestions.

Infact that Pearl above listed for $75 is a bargain and an excellent unit all round - get that before a BF-2.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Huston, I think you have a problem! Would be a real shame because besides the A/DA Flanger the Yamaha is the greatest Flanger out there for my money.

Please don't say that.

Please don't.......

:cry:

• Members

Have you done a quick batt change? It would be easy to fix anyway bro - I believe I have a schematic for the Yamaha kicking around my folders somewhere anyway.

It's like a juicey sounding laser, that Yamaha.... I tweaked the trimmers a little for more mental oscillation, and suddenly it's on the blink. I'll get a fresh battery and try i this evening.

Also, isn't there a mod so you can use a regular PS instead of that odd 'power plate' style yammy thing it originally was compatible with?

:thu:

• Members

My personal fave and the one I use on my board = 80's Yamaha FL-01 - this thing does sounds from deep space. Ask Jacques if he doesn't think the Yamaha is the daddy of self oscillating Flange.

TIKI, when it comes to taste in gear i think you're the australian me! :idea:
i have a Yamaha FL-01. mine's the MKII. i'm assuming they're pretty similar. anyhow i'll prolly end up selling it cuz it sounds almost exactly like my Ibanez FLL--another unknown gem from the 80's. "normal" settings are almost identical but i like the oscillation a bit better on the FLL--does sirens, chirps, moans, etc. a bit more diverse than the Yammy.

iban-fll-0503.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I think I got my EM to self-oscillate in the first couple of seconds of tweaking it. Sounded something akin to a symphony of chainsaws

..never got that sound again...
:(

Yeah... depending on how far you set the trim pot, you can get it to self-oscillate by cranking up the Color almost all the way, or even half way if the pot is all the way in one direction. But if the color is too low it will never self-oscillate.

Not that I understand why you'd want that anyway. Sounds like like a knife in your ears, IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

I have a Dano Fab Flange which will self oscillate, but it sounds like crap and distorts on part of the cycle.
:(
Not sure if they all do that, or this one was messed with.

What settings do you use to make it oscillate?

• Members

My personal fave and the one I use on my board = 80's Yamaha FL-01 - this thing does sounds from deep space. Ask Jacques if he doesn't think the Yamaha is the daddy of self oscillating Flange.

sounds good too!

old korg flangers from the 80s seem to all s.o.

• Members
Originally posted by Boron

It's like a juicey sounding laser, that Yamaha.... I tweaked the trimmers a little for more mental oscillation, and suddenly it's on the blink. I'll get a fresh battery and try i this evening.

Also, isn't there a mod so you can use a regular PS instead of that odd 'power plate' style yammy thing it originally was compatible with?

Yep ... the Yamaha is like Steve Stevens laser guitar stuff and then allot like the digestive system of a gurglezillion blarglebeast from Alpha Scroton 9! :D

I don't know about the mod to run a noemal power supply but I was going to get Mike Ibrihim to just fit one for me by sticking a plug in the side of the case - wouldn't be too hard. :)

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

TIKI, when it comes to taste in gear i think you're the australian me!
:idea:
i have a Yamaha FL-01. mine's the MKII. i'm assuming they're pretty similar. anyhow i'll prolly end up selling it cuz it sounds almost exactly like my Ibanez FLL--another unknown gem from the 80's. "normal" settings are almost identical but i like the oscillation a bit better on the FLL--does sirens, chirps, moans, etc. a bit more diverse than the Yammy.

iban-fll-0503.jpg

Indeed mate ... we are crossing over a bit in our gear tastes, seems obscure goodness is our imperative. We may have to create some kind of HCFX club membership in the sig's for this kind of thing before too long. ;)

I have had allot of those Ibanez 80's - 90's series units and actually ended up selling a few on when I compared them to my Yamaha's. I had the Ibanez Bi-Phase from the same era as that Flanger from Chris Guitars. Infact I bought it from Chris Guitars. It was nice and you could play with the trim pots but it was nowhere near as warm as my Boss Ph-1r. The Korg pedals from the 80's are based on the same circuit as the Yamaha's but the Yamaha's sound better for my taste too. :thu:

My Yamaha's

CH-01
CH10-MII
FL-01
TB-01 - is amazing!
OC-01

• Members
Originally posted by Raskolnikovs axe

hey i'm not a regular to the FX forum, can somebody explain self oscillation to me?

If I understand correctly, it's when the very short delay on the flanger feeds into itself, and it starts to howl like a banshee ... yes, that's a technical term. :)

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

similair to the yammies. I had a korg and it was really sim to my yammie fl01..

Thats what I said before ... they are based on the same circuit - they sound very close if not identical in some cases though I like the Yams better generally.

• Members

Indeed mate ... we are crossing over a bit in our gear tastes, seems obscure goodness is our imperative. We may have to create some kind of HCFX club membership in the sig's for this kind of thing before too long.
;)

I have had allot of those Ibanez 80's - 90's series units and actually ended up selling a few on when I compared them to my Yamaha's. I had the Ibanez Bi-Phase from the same era as that Flanger from Chris Guitars. Infact I bought it from Chris Guitars. It was nice and you could play with the trim pots but it was nowhere near as warm as my Boss Ph-1r. The Korg pedals from the 80's are based on the same circuit as the Yamaha's but the Yamaha's sound better for my taste too.

My Yamaha's

CH-01

CH10-MII

FL-01

TB-01 - is amazing!

OC-01

were you the one who posted the Yammy collection pic recently?

yeah, seems like many of those 80s Ibanez units weren't exactly on the warm side. but that's why i like the FLL. it has that metallic flanger sound like in the old Cure songs, etc. i also have the CLL Dual Chorus, which is actually a Chorus/Flanger. you can toggle between the two. the flanger side oscillates too but not very musically. but it's a good organic-if-slightly-cold modulation. i've kept it around just in case i need a chorus for whatever reason.

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

were you the one who posted the Yammy collection pic recently?

yeah, seems like many of those 80s Ibanez units weren't exactly on the warm side. but that's why i like the FLL. it has that metallic flanger sound like in the old Cure songs, etc. i also have the CLL Dual Chorus, which is actually a Chorus/Flanger. you can toggle between the two. the flanger side oscillates too but not very musically. but it's a good organic-if-slightly-cold modulation. i've kept it around just in case i need a chorus for whatever reason.

Yes that was most likely me ... there is only one other person at HCFX who has a bigger collection of Yammy than me but he doesn't come here very often - sadly! By the way, I had the CLL Dual Chorus and traded it away to another forumite in Singapore Mrmisse ... I preferred my Yamaha flangers and chorus so it wasn't too hard to part with it but I really liked the sounds on that box ... made me happy! :)

Archived