Deluxe reverb for Classic Rock?

89strat

• Members

I went to the Clapton concert last night, and was amazed at how great Clapton's tone was and Derek Truck's and how it's basically just a single guitar through a cranking fender amp. Then Doyle Bramhall's tone through a monster pedal board with a dozen effects through what I believe to be some kind of boutique amp, and he sounded like crap. I haven't been happy with the way my setup's been sounding. I use a Classic 50, strat, and a les paul. Sounds pretty good, but I always like the fender clean. My board consists of a wah, phase 90, tone press, and the continuously changing of overdrives. I also have dd-20 in the loop and micro amp for volume boost for leads.

Obviousely, it's not a bad setup, but it's just not doing it for me. There's something so pure about a nice guitar into a good amp. I always tell others to start with the amp and work from there. Although the peavey's a good amp, I've wanted a deluxe reverb for it's simplicity and tone. But I've stayed away from it because I'm in a cover band and need to cover everything from clean passages to Foo Fighters or greenday songs. Mostly for small bar gigs in a band with a second guitarist. Anybody here use the DRRI for the same range of music, and what do you use to get heavier tones.

• Members

Originally posted by 89strat

I went to the Clapton concert last night, and was amazed at how great Clapton's tone was and Derek Truck's and how it's basically just a single guitar through a cranking fender amp. Then Doyle Bramhall's tone through a monster pedal board with a dozen effects through what I believe to be some kind of boutique amp, and he sounded like crap. I haven't been happy with the way my setup's been sounding. I use a Classic 50, strat, and a les paul. Sounds pretty good, but I always like the fender clean. My board consists of a wah, phase 90, tone press, and the continuously changing of overdrives. I also have dd-20 in the loop and micro amp for volume boost for leads.

Obviousely, it's not a bad setup, but it's just not doing it for me. There's something so pure about a nice guitar into a good amp. I always tell others to start with the amp and work from there. Although the peavey's a good amp, I've wanted a deluxe reverb for it's simplicity and tone. But I've stayed away from it because I'm in a cover band and need to cover everything from clean passages to Foo Fighters or greenday songs. Mostly for small bar gigs in a band with a second guitarist. Anybody here use the DRRI for the same range of music, and what do you use to get heavier tones.

Most of the Fender amps use the 6l6/5881 tubes. Or the 6v6. I def' think you get a nicer "sparkle" with them compared to the Darker sounding EL84/34 types.

Isnt Clapton using those 57' twin re-issues on the road? Those are 40 watts through a 2x12 (6l6's)

Trucks from what I have read here and there uses a super-reverb.

The DRRI is a cool amp but you will get less watts and less headroom compared to the classic 50 you are using now. Something to consider.

• Members

Yeah, Clapton currently uses the low watt tweed Twin, and Trucks uses a Super Reverb.

I very much like the DR RI. It has a nice sparkling clean tone, but also has good low end for a small combo. Very balanced.

Personally, I'd like to have a handwired DR, except remove the normal channel, and remove the tremelo. Single channel voiced like the vibrato channel w/reverb.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Most of the Fender amps use the 6l6/5881 tubes. Or the 6v6. I def' think you get a nicer "sparkle" with them compared to the Darker sounding EL84/34 types.

Isnt Clapton using those 57' twin re-issues on the road? Those are 40 watts through a 2x12 (6l6's)

Trucks from what I have read here and there uses a super-reverb.

The DRRI is a cool amp but you will get less watts and less headroom compared to the classic 50 you are using now. Something to consider.

Yeah, clapton had the 57 twins and Trucks with the super reverbs. Mic'd of course. I picked one up today, with a thirty day try period. At the store it seemed to be considerably louder than my classic 50 before breaking up, but the classic 50 doesn't break up all that early. I can't wait to get these two side by side when the family's off in bed. I have a practice tomorrow, so we'll see how it works in a band setting.

• Members

I was about 5 hours with this amp two nights ago and I was really impressed with it. It's louder than my peavey and much bigger sounding and more musical sounding. I had a band practice with it yesterday, going through a full three sets of music with it, everything from tom petty to led zeppelin, killers, U2, and a couple of Rush tunes and this amp is pretty amazing.

I was using an H20 modded BD-2 for most of my gain parts and a maxon od-9 for leads. The od-9, no surprise, sounds pretty good with the amp. The bd-2 though is a little too transparent and doesn't cut through as well, but does sound great for rythm. But when using the BD-2 than hitting the OD-9 together, it sounds great, I just wish I could get more volume up there for leads, but the od-9 doesn't have much volume. I was thinking of picking up an overdrive with a boost for it. One that can boost the volume as well. The fulldrive only boost the volume in Comp cut mode. I was thinking of trying the power screamer or some variation of it.

For the band practice I plugged a strat and a les paul into a vox wah, phase 90, barber tone press, od-9, h20 bd-2, and dd-20. The dd-20 sounded killer through the amp. Oddly enough, the tone press didn't sound too great. Everything went into the reverb input, and it took to the effects very well. Also, I couldn't get the volume past 3 without overpowering the band. Freakin' loud. Anyway, I have thirty days to decide if I'm keeping it. At this point, I couldn't imagine returning it.

• Members

89Strat, a suggestion to consider.

I found that the DR could sound a little brittle on the top end with single coils into the vibrato channel, especially when adding dirt or fuzz. I ended up replacing the first preamp tube of the vibrato channel (you'll have to check the schematic to see which one it is) with a 12AT7, in place of the AX7. This removed a little of the brittle high end and also gave a bit more headroom. Most gain based pedals seemed to respond a little more "naturally".

Just a thought.

• Members

I went to the Clapton concert last night, and was amazed at how great Clapton's tone was and Derek Truck's and how it's basically just a single guitar through a cranking fender amp. Then Doyle Bramhall's tone through a monster pedal board with a dozen effects through what I believe to be some kind of boutique amp, and he sounded like crap. .

I was at the Saturday show and I thought the same exact thing! Trucks, Clapton, and Cray all had great tone, and none of them had pedalboards on stage. I know Trucks is on record as someone who goes straight into a cranked amp. Cray's tone seemed straight up as well, I feel like Clapton's sound had a wide range of gain - maybe an overdrive being switched by a tech offstage? Either way, they all had simple setups that sounded great. Bramhall sounded like {censored}!

I would like to get a DRRI to compliment my Mesa Boogie, that way I would have the best of both worlds!

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

try putting the od9 AFTER the bd2. it will sound alittle different, but it's a nice lead tone. And you will have plenty of volume boost.

Not a bad idea. I like how the BD-2 sounds with this amp as a crunch sound, but I guess by putting od-9 after it, I'll get a volume increase with some mids to cut through. Can't wait to try it out when I get home from work. Also, thanks to your video clips, I bought a Keeley BD-2 and it is being delivered to me tonight as well, so I'll have a bunch of fun trying out different things tonight.

• Members

These videos are making me want a deluxe verb even more. Whats the difference between the DRRI and other things like the twin verb and king verb etc etc etc?

And metallica, just get an a/b switcher and you'll have a killer setup. My dream amp setup is bascially a voodoo lab 4 amp switcher, two fender verbs(probably deluxe), a marshall plexi stack (1959 w/ mods?) and a mesa boogie rectifier stack?(this could be changed)

Man..If only I could find one of these for 12 bucks =(

• Members

At the store it seemed to be considerably louder than my classic 50 before breaking up, but the classic 50 doesn't break up all that early. I can't wait to get these two side by side when the family's off in bed.

Geez, the assholes that prowl these boards, I swear. :(

• 9 years later...
  • Members

[uSER=42247]89strat[/uSER] , I have a strat and a fender champion 600 at home for the moment until I get something better (although that amp is pretty sweet), and I did a little experimenting with my pedals to see which of them sucked tone. To this day, plugging straight into the amp still sounds the best to my ears, but through the use of a buffer via the Boss TU-2, and using a Diamond Compressor with the EQ tilted to boost the treble a bit, I've been able to "replicate" my straight-to-amp tone. Honestly man, I used to think pedals enhanced my tone, but the minute you put something in between your guitar's direct connection to the amp you're going to lose out on some of your raw tone. Pedals give you real-time control over effects which is great for a live venue setting, but at home you can really notice the difference. A good thing to consider would be a loop switcher to run all of your pedals through.

• Members

I see it. Since I've posted about this, I've been using a DRRI for home and live use. At home, I mostly play straight in clean, and live I use effects more sparingly. I use a rat for the heavier stuff because the drri is a loud amp for the bars we play in. But even with rat, I don't have the drive set high, and I get a great crunch and still retain many of the characteristics, tone, and feel of my amp and guitars. Every show. Someone's coming up to me to see what I'm using, and when they see that all the settings on my pedals aren't doing the heavy lifting, they're amazed. The DRRI is a great amp.

Archived