Any Kurt Vonnegut fans?

Elliott Damage

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

;)

i still haven't seen Cronenberg's CRASH, but i'm anxious to see what he did with the novel. generally, i think he pulls of adaptations quite well. in any case it's a rather fitting match.

of course when i was reading it a couple of people asked me if it was the book that the Don Cheadle/Sandra Bullock movie was based on.
:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

i still haven't seen Cronenberg's CRASH, but i'm anxious to see what he did with the novel. generally, i think he pulls of adaptations quite well. in any case it's a rather fitting match.

of course when i was reading it a couple of people asked me if it was the book that the Don Cheadle/Sandra Bullock movie was based on.

:cry:

I have the Cronenberg film ... it's AWESOME! I also bought the soundtrack to the film YEARS ago after seeing the film ... the score is incredible and by Howard Shore who always teams up with Cronenberg. I love all of Cronenbergs films and James Spader is riveting as Ballard ... the coup de grace is Vaughn, played by none other than Elias Koteas!!!!

The book, film and soundtrack form a triumvurite of art that for me is sublime. Go get the film IMMEDIATELY ... superb adaption though I would have loved to see a film version set in London where the book sets it, instead of Canada - however, this film is perfection!

Might I add ... I see an awful lot of Palahniuk borrowing thematically from Ballard though he has managed to develop his own voice quite well ... many writers owe Ballard a debt.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I have the Cronenberg film ... it's AWESOME! I also bought the soundtrack to the film YEARS ago after seeing the film ... the score is incredible and by Howard Shore who always teams up with Cronenberg. I love all of Cronenbergs films and James Spader is riveting as Ballard ... the coup de grace is Vaughn, played by none other than Elias Koteas!!!!

The book, film and soundtrack form a triumvurite of art that for me is sublime. Go get the film IMMEDIATELY ... superb adaption though I would have loved to see a film version set in London where the book sets it, instead of Canada - however, this film is perfection!

Might I add ... I see an awful lot of Palahniuk borrowing thematically from Ballard though he has managed to develop his own voice quite well ... many writers owe Ballard a debt.

cool. i'll check it out ASAP.

IMO the setting of CRASH isn't all that important.

change a couple of mentions of place names and it could be LA or Sydney or Vancouver.

but yeah, i read Palahniuk first, but he came to mind often while reading CRASH. both are narrated by a "disciple" who survives the "master." both involve an illicit subculture building up to an explosive climax; both subcultures are intrinsically doomed. both involve an atypical homo-erotic relationship between narrator and "master." both are a study on violence.

etc. etc. etc.

• Members

Slapstick is the only one I didn't like. My favorite was probably Bluebeard.

Right now I'm reading A Civil Action for my next semester's writing course. Really interesting, it's about the first toxic tort case. I hear the movie is awful.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

Slapstick is the only one I didn't like. My favorite was probably Bluebeard.

Right now I'm reading A Civil Action for my next semester's writing course. Really interesting, it's about the first toxic tort case. I hear the movie is awful.

I recommend you check out Kramer vs Kramer for your law studies.

• Members
Originally posted by Josh S

I've read every Vonnegut book (yes, I have a very large science fiction collection - I read lots
:D
).

IMO - Bluebeard is the best of his novels. That book is so good it hurts me.

Read it, if you haven't.

Agreed...I've read all of them, and while Bluebeard isn't as funny as some (Breakfast first and foremost) it's one of the best stories I've ever read. Absolutely heartbreaking, joyful, and inspiring, all at once...sorta how I feel about the flaming lips...

Archived