What Was Your First Guitar??

KjStrat62

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What pick-ups do you have in that SG? They look like SD Phat Cats, but as I type this I know I'm making an arse of myself....GFS?
:wave:

I still have the original Humbuckers (chorme covers with Gibson logo pressed into them), but the pickups in it now are Kent Armstrong P-90's. There has been a lot of pickups in that SG over the last 30 years but those cheap Kent Armstrong's are the best sounding for this guitar.

• Members
:eek:

Please tell me you're NOT joking.
:D

Indeed I am not. I STILL own this guitar and actually had it tuned up and fixed up a few years back. It actually sounds really good.

For starters, I can't imagine a scenario where someone would want to buy the guitar so I held onto it. But then it became a sentimental thing.

I'm pretty sure that if I went back in time and knew what I know now I would still purchase the same guitar.

• Members
Indeed I am not. I STILL own this guitar and actually had it tuned up and fixed up a few years back. It actually sounds really good.

For starters, I can't imagine a scenario where someone would want to buy the guitar so I held onto it. But then it became a sentimental thing.

I'm pretty sure that if I went back in time and knew what I know now I would still purchase the same guitar.

Excellent. It is awesomely tacky. :thu:

• Members

Mine is a Samick strat copy. I got it when I decided to start playing around november 2004. It's beaten up and has deep marks on the fretboard (as well as on the body, but can't be seen on picture). I play it through a 15watt Marshall or my Rockman X100 (powered by an old Peavey PA). I better heat up my soldering iron 'cause the electronics are falling apart ^^

samickstratcopykg1.th.jpg

• Members

The first was a loaner from my older brother: a two pickup red Kingston that looked sorta like a shrunken Jazzmaster. I played that for about 8 months. I then purchased from the same brother a four pickup greenburst St. George (basically a renamed low-end Teisco) for $9.00 that I played for about 4 months. The Kingston sounded cool, the Teisco sounded like crap. The awful vibrato bars kept both from ever being in tune for more than a few seconds. Four months later I spent $160.00 of my paper route money for a used 6 year old competition orange Fender Mustang. I still have that one, but it's beat to hell 29 years later.

• Members

The first was a loaner from my older brother: a two pickup red Kingston that looked sorta like a shrunken Jazzmaster. I played that for about 8 months. I then purchased from the same brother a four pickup greenburst St. George (basically a renamed low-end Teisco) for $9.00 that I played for about 4 months. The Kingston sounded cool, the Teisco sounded like crap. The awful vibrato bars kept both from ever being in tune for more than a few seconds. Four months later I spent $160.00 of my paper route money for a used 6 year old competition orange Fender Mustang. I still have that one, but it's beat to hell 29 years later.

Any pics of teh Mustang?

• Members

Finally got around to climbing up in the attic to dig out my first guitar.

I bought it new around 83-84 in the Navy Exchange on base when I lived in the Philippines. I paid $180 for it.

It's a Kawai Aquarius which was made in Japan.Stayed stock till early 90's when I tricked it out with the usual EMG 81/85 with pre-amp switch and Kahler with locking clamp which was popular at the time.

Few years ago gutted the EMG's out and sold them,then to make room for the Gibsons and Fender coming around,I cased it up and put it in the attic.Now I'm dying to put some hb sized P-90's in an bring her back to life.

Here it is in it's nicotine,THC,and time encrusted state,naturally relic'd by me.Thanks for giving me the urge to dig her out.:thu:

Kawai001.jpg

Kawai002.jpg

Kawai005.jpg

Kawai008.jpg

Kawai011.jpg

Guest Anonymous

P.O.S. acoustic you could only play the first few frets because the action was so bad.......that was about 1979.

then a bunch of no name parts guitars.. finally my first badboy was a hondo star. goddamn i was just brought back to that day...

• Members

Mine was a Vox Hurricane. I bought it at a yard sale for $ 30.00 US in "73". I eventually sold it and lost track of it. But about 2 yrs. ago I found it hanging in a used CD store.I knew it was mine cause the plastic rollers on the whammy bar were broke off and I replaced them with a spring of all things. The guy can't remember where he got it from but he's had it on the wall displayed with a couple of old Gibson Birdlands. All of them are now unplayable but I asked him if he would sell it to me and he said no.

• Members

I had a neighbor who had a piece of crap acoustic that he let me borrow. I think it was actually a prop, not a real instrument. The body wood was nearly three times as thick as a real acoustic guitar, the tuners were {censored}, and the action was unplayable above the fifth fret. Worst guitar I've ever seen in my life.

I borrowed that thing for a few months before my dad found out that I was playing it. He played bass with the neighbors band, and let me borrow his bass when he wasn't using it. I saved enough to buy my own bass not long after that.

Archived