What is the best plectrum?

TIKILOCKEDOUT

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
dun-431p73.jpg

I tried these a few months ago when my local shop had run out of the regular shaped version. I was skeptical at first, but now I actually prefer the wider tip for tonal variety, and the larger grip surface is ideal when trem-picking chords or octaves.

• Members
jim_dunlop_41r.jpg

i've used these for the last 2 years. .71 my best choise
:D

I just started using them for my Strat. For my LP I like the next size up purple ones (1.12?). I only use them because I can't find anything better. The Dunlops wear way too fast and are no good to me after a few practices. :mad:

I picked these Spectra Sharp's up and they are much better for lead with the longer point but not so great for rhythm. I would like to find something that does both well because I don't want to change pics during a show.

yhst-39161258840633_1932_989353

• Members

I like this one the best (eventhough I don't care for Vai's playing/style )

f0_2.JPG

and the green and yellow Tortex 2nd best.

The Vai picks last longer and provide a clearer tone. YES, picks make a difference.

There is a brand, with C S on the pick, and those picks had a significant tonal improvement as well. A clearer, more defined tone.

• Members

I've been getting thinner and thinner pick-wise in the last 4 months. I used 1.5's for a long time as they were the most accurate for all the palm-muted downpicking punk rock I used to play. After I started my new band though, I just kept breaking strings...

I'm down to a .88 Tortex now, but I use one of the rounded edges most of the time, so it's a little stiffer than that. I find that my picking is more harmonically rich now...and I'm not breaking strings anymore.

• Members

I use these the most, but haven't found a favorite.

Fender heavy - sound great with all my guitars, best sound, feel, etc.. but don't last very long. Actually, they have the shortest lifespan of other picks I tried, Maybe one practice session. But they do sound and feel right.

Dunlop Delrin 500 - sound like the fender heavy's similar feel, slick and fast, like the jazz III's, last a little longer than the fenders, but no much, but when they wear down they shred on the sides which catches the string. I hate that.

Tortex - I use the blues once in a while, but they feel awkward and big. and sound like a thud when I hit the strings on my acoustics. Not bad with the electrics though. Tried the greens but not stiff enough. These seem to be the favorites out there, but I just don't get the appeal other than they can be had at every guitar store in the world.

Archived