Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Jbrazz

• Members

That's a great sound! Everyone sure it's not a Theremin? I have a buddy who has one & we used to get all sorts of crazy sounds out of it by running it through dirt pedals, a DMM, reverb, a dimed Pignose, etc. . .

edit - I forgot, I saw them on London Live (on one of the HD channels) a few weeks back & they did "Turn Into" Just found the video on YouTube & it's not a Theremin. . .

• Members

He's said a lot of the wackier sounds are him running a Zoom RT-123 through his stuff. That song is from Show Your Bones, right? They have an extra guy that plays extra guitar parts and synth on that album.

Sounds like you could hack that sound with a POG, vibrato, aan half-cocked wah, though.

The RT-123 is used a lot for keyboard type sounds on Fever to Tell, like in the chorus to "Maps." The POG is probably used on "Turn Into." He added the POG to his board for the new album.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the extra musician wasn't used for much at the show I went to. Mainly acoustic guitar on "Gold Lion" and keys or guitar on maybe two other songs. The rest of the stuff was just the band itself.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

i cant remember that extra guys name at the moment, but he used to play guitar in Sebadoh. i dont think he was actually on the album, and if he was, if was minimally. i saw them during that tour and he played acoustic on 2 songs, and possibly some keys on a part. i dont remember seeing a POG on nicks pedal board though

• Members

Creepy....I've had that song stuck in my head for three days now, ever since I watched the video for it on youtube. :freak: Before I even saw this thread, "I hear it in my head real low....." was playing between my ears.

For the Gear:

http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/category/the-yeah-yeah-yeahs-gear/

From another site:

Fender Stratocaster (Japanese model, circa 1985)

Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 combo amp

Mesa/Boogie Mark III combo amp

Boss DM-3 analog delay pedal

Boss DD-6 digital delay pedal

Roland Space Echo

ProCo Turbo Rat distortion pedal

Zoom RhythmTrak RT-123 drum machine

Vox Pathfinder 15 amp (for drum machine

• Members

If the Letterman song was
Y Control
, then that
is
a good start.

My favorites are Black Tongue, Y Control, Maps, and Modern Romance from the first record.

On the second one, Cheated Hearts, Mysteries, and Turn Into.

Dude, you gotta give it up for warrior. That song is a {censored}ing epic. WAY better than the pat benetar version :). I really like Way Out and Dudley too.

• Members

He's said a lot of the wackier sounds are him running a Zoom RT-123 through his stuff. That song is from Show Your Bones, right? They have an extra guy that plays extra guitar parts and synth on that album.

Sounds like you could hack that sound with a POG, vibrato, aan half-cocked wah, though.

I've got that drum machine, and yeah, if you put it into a distorted amp thats the pingy sound from "rich" and "maps"

• Members

Sounds like something in conjunction with a Whammy to me.

I really dig cheated hearts as well and also Dudley.

I remember getting the first album after hearing "maps" and was pretty disappointed with most of it. Gave it a few listens and sold it on Amazon. Then a few months ago a buddy of mine gave me a compilation of stuff and Cheated Hearts and Dudley were both on it. Since then I grabbed some of their other stuff and like it quite abit. Definately hit and miss with me tho. I do like the guitar player's tones tho... good stuff.

• Members

i find it odd how everyone here is praising "Show Your Bones"???

i know that song is off that album, but to me, ive been with yeah yeah yeahs since before they were "big", and the older stuff is WAY better. its not even close. all of you please go back and listen to the 1st EP and tell me "artstar" isnt their best song ever.:thu:

• Members

Can't get enough of the YYYs. Artstar is too... "obvious", for lack of a better term. Quirky verses, "Doot doo-doos", and screaming on the "choruses"? Meh.

I like the newer stuff better, but one of my favorites has always been Mr. You're On Fire.

PSH. Listen to the drums on that song and tell me its MEH.

To each his own. But 'Show Your Bones' isnt on par with the older stuff.

And Mr. Youre On Fire is a Liars song off of their first album, i dont know how you could get those bands confused other than the fact the their singers dated each other at one time.

• 13 years later...

Archived