Anyone use their flanger for chorus?

bt2513

• Members

I was playing around with my vintage FL-9 today and I realized that when I cut out the delay time and regeneration to zero it does a GREAT chorus. I guess that's all that flange is -- chorus with a delay on the modulation. Its funny that I never really appreciated this before.

• Members

Yeah, a flanger is basically a chorus with a feedback loop of sorts- the regeneration control is pretty much the same as the "repeats" control on a delay. The delay coupled with the modulation is what gets you the sound you hear from both flangers and choruses- more delay, and more regeneration results in more pronounced "swirl", just like you'd get more extreme sounds from a delay set that way, so basically a flanger is like a chorus on steroids :thu:

I use my DOD FX75C that way a lot- I don't have much use for ring modulator-y or "playing in a metal pipe" sounds in my music, and I don't much like jet plane flanger sounds, and even if I did, I can't get them out of my flanger. It's best suited to Police-type sounds and does a pretty convincing "Electric Ladyland". I don't, but that's another problem altogether... :D

• Members

they're the same basic principle, but with a few tweaks. flangers generally have a delay time ~10 ms and choruses generally have a delay time around ~30 ms. choruses generally have no regeneration. there are no real rules, but that's how most of them work.

• 6 months later...
  • Members
I was playing around with my vintage FL-9 today and I realized that when I cut out the delay time and regeneration to zero it does a GREAT chorus. I guess that's all that flange is -- chorus with a delay on the modulation. Its funny that I never really appreciated this before.

I should try that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use my old BF-2 as a chorus, in fact, I can't really seem to get anything but a chorus sound out of it,at the most, I can get it to sound like a slightly flanged chorus. I also use an analog man bi-chorus(small stone x's 2) as a flange. I use my electric mistress as a phaser.

• Members
they're the same basic principle, but with a few tweaks. flangers generally have a delay time ~10 ms and choruses generally have a delay time around ~30 ms. choruses generally have no regeneration. there are no real rules, but that's how most of them work.

Damn straight - I can't believe it took me so long to realise this.

I have 2 notable exceptions to the rule - the Yamaha FL-01 flanger and the EHX polychorus. Both I use for chorus and wild self oscillation as they both have very aggressive feedback loops and offer more delay time than your average chorus OR flange.

Whoop whoop!

Hence of course why in a pedal like the DMM and the echo park you can make flange, chorus and modulated delay sounds - sweep that delay time with an LFO and mix in in with the clean and away you go!

:love:

• Members

Yep - they're all prettymuch the same thing with different levels of tweakability. I fist discvered this when I had an old Ibanez DM1100 rack mount delay - I could never figure out what the modulation knobs did (they sounded awful on long delays). Then I remembered there were some notes stenciled on teh top of the thing, so I pulled it out of my rack and saw that it had recommended settings for flanger and chorus . . . who knew?! Sounded great (until I got sick of racks and sold it).

• Members

Yes, I'm using my old Yamaha fl10m flanger as a chorus as well.
I almost sold it, to buy a proper chorus but I couldn't do it..

It sounds a little different compared to an average chorus but the sound is good, so I'm keeping it.

;)

• Members

Yeah, flanger and chorus are closely related, as has already been explained. Longer delay times = chorus, shorter delay = flanger, generally speaking, and flanger adds feedback control.

On the reissue DEM, the range control controls the delay time range on the LFO, but doesn't change the overall delay time. There's an internal trim pot that controls that, so I wired it up to an external potentiometer. Now at max delay (all the way counter clockwise), it gets a very detuned, thick chorus sound. At minimum delay (all the way clockwise), it's very "whoosh" - kind of light and airy flange. At about 1:00 it sounds you expect an Electric Mistress to sound.

mymoddedmistress.jpg

• Members
On the reissue DEM, the range control controls the delay time range on the LFO, but doesn't change the overall delay time. There's an internal trim pot that controls that, so I wired it up to an external potentiometer. Now at max delay (all the way counter clockwise), it gets a very detuned, thick chorus sound.....

mymoddedmistress.jpg

nice :love:

Archived