• Members

Triangle Muff

Mutron Bi-Phase

Original Whammy

Boss Slow Gear

Arbiter Fuzz Face

A/DA Flanger

Lovetone

Thinking on FX innovated in the last 5 years, which ones do you believe will acquire the same kind of reverence among musicians, fanatics, and collectors as these boxes? Or is that era over?

Related thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23908932&posted=1#post23908932

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
EHX HOG

EHX POG

Moog pedals

These would be among the first that come to my mind. Didn't someone in the FX forum recently purchase the entire Moog line in one buy? I want to hear how that's going. That guy probably hasn't slept much or left the house. There's enough possibilities there to make you :freak:

• Members

I wouldn't be suprised if things never take like the old ones. Not because of quality but because of-
1. Music is about singles and money more so now than ever so the days of longevity are gone. Part of those pedals magic were the bands who used them.... And in the way people followed music and were loyal to bands- its not like that anymore as far as the general population goes.
2. There are SO MANY great pedals out there, WAY WAY WAY more than in the 70s and early 80s. The world is a MUCH bigger place now marketwise... That encourages diversity not centralization.

BUT if I had to guess-
Klon
Hermida Zendrive
Lovepedal Cot 50

• Members

I wouldn't be suprised if things never take like the old ones. Not because of quality but because of-

1. Music is about singles and money more so now than ever so the days of longevity are gone. Part of those pedals magic were the bands who used them.... And in the way people followed music and were loyal to bands- its not like that anymore as far as the general population goes.

2. There are SO MANY great pedals out there, WAY WAY WAY more than in the 70s and early 80s. The world is a MUCH bigger place now marketwise... That encourages diversity not centralization.

I agree that there is just too much out there now - and we could be talking about more than just FX. With a rock band and a stompbox designer in every neighborhood or every other myspace account, who has time to sift through it all and decide what's 'the best.' But I have to hold on to the hope that if it's true quality, it will live on and find its audience over time, or I'll just get really depressed.

• Members
I agree that there is just too much out there now - and we could be talking about more than just FX. With a rock band and a stompbox designer in every neighborhood or every other myspace account, who has time to sift through it all and decide what's 'the best.' But I have to hold on to the hope that if it's true quality, it will live on and find its audience over time, or I'll just get really depressed.

+1! (But Im WAY more of a "half empty" guy!):thu:

• Members

BUT if I had to guess-

Klon

Hermida Zendrive

Lovepedal Cot 50

Word.

Also, keep in mind that pedals are in much higher demand after they are discontinued. Assuming these are discontinued within that time,

+1 on the Klon and the Zendrive.

and I would add...

Boss TU-2 tuner :)

H&K Rotosphere, Tube Factor, and Replex

T-Rex Replica Delay

and maybe the reissued EH Micro Synth...

• Members

original ada flanger and triangle muff are wayyyy more than 20 years old

anyways I would add Dave Fox's pedals, CC started along time ago to go crazy price and also think certain Keeley and Analog Man will always be sought after especially when they are discontinued. Only EH one I see getting big money in years to come is the Flanger Hoax.

• Members

I would add Dave Fox's pedals, CC started along time ago to go crazy price and also think certain Keeley and Analog Man will always be sought after especially when they are discontinued. Only EH one I see getting big money in years to come is the Flanger Hoax.

Foxrox comes time my mind as well. Once production stops for good on the big TZF, in favor of the smaller version with less features, I think the price will skyrocket.

• Members

Moogs are a definite.
ZVex is looking that way.
MI Audio is beginning to prove itself (Blue Boy deluxe is brilliant)
LovePedals in general are gaining cult status already. And the Tim/mys are
Analogman (look at the ruckus for all his production pedals) especially the delay look to be desirable for decades to come.

Those are all brands but all look to be shaping up well for legendary status.

It's a weird thing that the most desirable pedals have to be a balance between being hard to get (through the passage of time) but enough units out there for word to have spread to enough people.

• Members

I find it very interesting that many of the pedals mentioned in this thread are overdrive/distortion pedals (klon, hermida, lovepedal); that is, pedals that go back to the basics, but improve upon the design with (dare I say it :o) varying degrees of subtlety and nuance for the connoisseurs, rather than trying to invent some radical new sound for its era (like the ones mentioned at the start of this thread). Of course, the original Tubescreamer is an exception to that, thanks to SRV's blues/classicist revival in the 80's. But still, Rock guitar had not completely resigned (for lack of a better term) to Classicism/Post-Modernism quite yet in the 80's, or even the 90's for that matter.

Has the industry come full circle?

• Members

I would say for innovation, and changing people thoughts on just what you can do.

EHX HOG and POG
Line6 Pods (yeah I said it)

But for great builders, I would like to see these people get the credit they deserve. It's too bad about 90% of guitarists have never heard of them.
- Skreddy Pedals
- ZVEX
- MI Audio

For a large group even EHX is a relatively unheard of company. But I really don't see much innovation, or anything really special from the big guys, Boss, Digitech, Dunlop and Line6.

Archived